PDA

View Full Version : Chiefsplanet musicians, I need some help...

htismaqe
06-30-2005, 07:48 AM
My buddy plays the bass and he's moving on July 8th to the big city about 8 blocks from me. It seems like the opportune time to get the band back together.

The problem is that we can't find a DRUMMER. Their strange cats anyway.

So what's the best way to recruit a drummer? Flyers?

Lzen
06-30-2005, 08:31 AM
Get lucky. :)

Drummers always seemed to be the hardest to find and hardest to keep. Go out and watch some bands at the bars/clubs. When you find a good drummer, steal him away from that band. ;)

Pennywise
06-30-2005, 08:31 AM
So what's the best way to recruit a drummer?

Order a pizza.

Archie F. Swin
06-30-2005, 08:37 AM
any colleges nearby?

chagrin
06-30-2005, 08:38 AM
"We're getting the band back together..."
"no, no way!"

Dude, I'm a drummer. Fly me to where you are and I will gladly sit in

:p

Death Nebula
06-30-2005, 08:46 AM
KC Backpages try the link....Good luck though my bands had an add out there for a month...most drummers in this town are one of the following....
-Geeks
-Dorks
-Flakes
-Or just can't play a lick....

GL thought

http://kc.backpage.com/music/classifieds/Results?category=4441&name=musicians%20available%2Fwanted

Dave Lane
06-30-2005, 08:58 AM
Jake is that you?

Dave

Brock
06-30-2005, 09:13 AM
Don't bother. I'm shutting down the studio.

htismaqe
06-30-2005, 09:20 AM
I've tried classifieds, it don't work.

There's no music stores in this town, so there's no music store cork boards to put a flyer on.

I guess I'm down to putting them up in the grocery store where all the tweakers hang out...

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-30-2005, 09:21 AM
I played trombone in middle school. Gawd I hated that ****ing thing.

Phobia
06-30-2005, 09:24 AM
Are you still living in that town?

htismaqe
06-30-2005, 09:30 AM
Are you still living in that town?

Yep. I have no reason to move.

Vegas_Dave
06-30-2005, 09:35 AM
Free Beer will usually attract a good drummer.

Phobia
06-30-2005, 09:37 AM
Oh - I know plenty of drummers then. Maybe.

Look up Jason Rogers in the phone book. Tell him Phil told you to call. If he won't, he'll know somebody who might. Check with the high school music dept. They might know something.

If Michael Burk is still in town, he might be able to help. If you can't find Michael, call any Burk (Mark) in the book - they'll know how to find Michael. Feel free to drop my name.

InChiefsHell
06-30-2005, 09:38 AM
We were (are) lucky. I found the drummer for my band in HS and never needed another...pretty unique situation as we found later from other bands...

...good luck...

htismaqe
06-30-2005, 09:43 AM
Oh - I know plenty of drummers then. Maybe.

Look up Jason Rogers in the phone book. Tell him Phil told you to call. If he won't, he'll know somebody who might. Check with the high school music dept. They might know something.

If Michael Burk is still in town, he might be able to help. If you can't find Michael, call any Burk (Mark) in the book - they'll know how to find Michael. Feel free to drop my name.

Hey thanks!

Alas, only one Rogers in the phone book (Shawn and Melissa). There is one Mark Burk, but I feel kinda weird just calling people up saying "Yo, we're looking for a drummer and Phil told me to call." :D

Phobia
06-30-2005, 09:46 AM
Hey thanks!

Alas, only one Rogers in the phone book (Shawn and Melissa). There is one Mark Burk, but I feel kinda weird just calling people up saying "Yo, we're looking for a drummer and Phil told me to call." :D

Interesting. I'll see if I can find a number for Jason.

I've known Mark all my life. He'd be thrilled to hear from me indirectly.

You could also try Matt Agan. I think he's in a band and he doesn't play drums, but he might know somebody. I think Matt plays in a band with Jason. I graduated with them both.

Phobia
06-30-2005, 09:53 AM
FWIW, Michael is probably a roady with Slipknot at this point. Crazy talented kid - great voice and dabbles in drums. He's been lead singer in every band I've heard, though. I think he never got a contract because he parties pretty hard. I really thought he would make it one day.

htismaqe
06-30-2005, 09:55 AM
Interesting. I'll see if I can find a number for Jason.

I've known Mark all my life. He'd be thrilled to hear from me indirectly.

You could also try Matt Agan. I think he's in a band and he doesn't play drums, but he might know somebody. I think Matt plays in a band with Jason. I graduated with them both.

Email addy would be extra cool.

htismaqe
06-30-2005, 09:56 AM
FWIW, Michael is probably a roady with Slipknot at this point. Crazy talented kid - great voice and dabbles in drums. He's been lead singer in every band I've heard, though. I think he never got a contract because he parties pretty hard. I really thought he would make it one day.

He probably knows Tone then...a guy that used to hang with us in Creston. He roadied for Slipknot for a while.

Phobia
06-30-2005, 09:57 AM
Email addy would be extra cool.

We're talking about Knoxville. Do they even have the internet in Knoxville yet?

Phobia
06-30-2005, 09:58 AM
You could probably walk outside your front door and any random person on the street would know Michael. He used to live a couple blocks from you several years ago.

htismaqe
06-30-2005, 10:02 AM
We're talking about Knoxville. Do they even have the internet in Knoxville yet?

Hehe...I not only have the Internet, I have VoIP with presence and no phone line.

Lzen
06-30-2005, 12:09 PM
I've tried classifieds, it don't work.

There's no music stores in this town, so there's no music store cork boards to put a flyer on.

I guess I'm down to putting them up in the grocery store where all the tweakers hang out...

I thought you lived in or around Des Moines. Surely there are music stores in a city that size. Unless, of course, I'm mistaken and you live in a small town or something.

Phobia
06-30-2005, 12:24 PM
I thought you lived in or around Des Moines. Surely there are music stores in a city that size. Unless, of course, I'm mistaken and you live in a small town or something.

Around. Small town about 40 minutes SE of Des Moines. He lives where I grew up.

htismaqe
06-30-2005, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I'm 40 minutes from Des Moines. Puts the damper on spur-of-the-moment jamming.

mcan
06-30-2005, 12:47 PM
He probably knows Tone then...a guy that used to hang with us in Creston. He roadied for Slipknot for a while.

I had some family in Creston.

[cheezy voice]The McCann line runs deep through that part of Iowa.[/cheezy voice]

I always liked that town. Speaking of, they ought to be throwing down with a street party here in a couple of days. Do they still do the whole carnival/festival thing on the fourth? That was kinda cool...

IDEA:
I think there are several live bands that play at that festival in Creston on and around the fourth. Maybe go on down and talk to some musicians. See if they know anybody in the area...

htismaqe
06-30-2005, 01:01 PM
I had some family in Creston.

[cheezy voice]The McCann line runs deep through that part of Iowa.[/cheezy voice]

I always liked that town. Speaking of, they ought to be throwing down with a street party here in a couple of days. Do they still do the whole carnival/festival thing on the fourth? That was kinda cool...

IDEA:
I think there are several live bands that play at that festival in Creston on and around the fourth. Maybe go on down and talk to some musicians. See if they know anybody in the area...

I haven't been to Creston for a long time, probably 10 years. My aunt and uncle moved to Texas, and the guys I jammed with there either moved to Osceola, prison, or the graveyard...

ZepSinger
06-30-2005, 01:09 PM
Are there any drummers left in Iowa? ROFL

I can say that, I'm from that God-forsaken state.

Z

htismaqe
06-30-2005, 01:18 PM
Are there any drummers left in Iowa? ROFL

I can say that, I'm from that God-forsaken state.

Z

Combine that with the fact that there's very few PEOPLE let alone musicians or even worse, drummers, here with my tastes in music, you can see what I'm up against.

mcan
06-30-2005, 01:29 PM
I haven't been to Creston for a long time, probably 10 years. My aunt and uncle moved to Texas, and the guys I jammed with there either moved to Osceola, prison, or the graveyard...

Damn... I can't imagine ever moving to the graveyard. Do they rent or own?

htismaqe
06-30-2005, 01:34 PM
Damn... I can't imagine ever moving to the graveyard. Do they rent or own?

They own. Only Jim Morrison is dumb enough to lease. :D

mcan
06-30-2005, 01:41 PM
They own. Only Jim Morrison is dumb enough to lease. :D

Ahh...
Well, I hear interest rates are going back up... Maybe Jimmys not as dumb as he looks...

htismaqe
06-30-2005, 02:28 PM
Ahh...
Well, I hear interest rates are going back up... Maybe Jimmys not as dumb as he looks...

He's in a high-rent neighborhood and his lease is up. They're gonna make him move out.

Lzen
06-30-2005, 02:41 PM
Combine that with the fact that there's very few PEOPLE let alone musicians or even worse, drummers, here with my tastes in music, you can see what I'm up against.

Well if you'd just listen to people when they tell you that ABBA is not cool anymore.

Wait, Abba was never cool.

htismaqe
06-30-2005, 02:57 PM
Well if you'd just listen to people when they tell you that ABBA is not cool anymore.

Wait, Abba was never cool.

Uh-huh.

Are you not a Dream Theater fan?

Lzen
06-30-2005, 03:00 PM
Uh-huh.

Are you not a Dream Theater fan?

Why yes, yes I am. And your point would be?

htismaqe
06-30-2005, 03:06 PM
Why yes, yes I am. And your point would be?

:hmmm:

:D

Archie F. Swin
06-30-2005, 03:11 PM
The best native Iowanian drummer evah left the state back in the 80s...Bill Stewart (http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Bill_Stewart.html)

Ari Chi3fs
06-30-2005, 03:21 PM
get an electronic drum machine at first to get some rythym behind you... you dont want to bring a drummer and you all suck much ass, right?

Reason is a good prog for drums, if I recall...

...also FWIW, if your friend moved back to that small town, he is probably a loser, thus not much chance for a successful band anyway. Its probably best just to give up the dream. ROFL

htismaqe
06-30-2005, 03:25 PM
get an electronic drum machine at first to get some rythym behind you... you dont want to bring a drummer and you all suck much ass, right?

...also FWIW, if your friend moved back to that small town, he is probably a loser, thus not much chance for a successful band anyway. Its probably best just to give up the dream. ROFL

Don't need a drum machine, moron. Been playing in bands for almost 20 years. :D

And my friend is moving up...he used to live in a town HALF the size. :D

Lzen
06-30-2005, 03:27 PM

Reason does have a pretty good drum machine. But it still can't beat a real human drummer.

htismaqe
06-30-2005, 03:51 PM
Reason does have a pretty good drum machine. But it still can't beat a real human drummer.

I'm not a big fan of artificial sound...

Phobia
06-30-2005, 04:01 PM
I'm not a big fan of artificial sound...

But, how do you feel about DJ's?

htismaqe
06-30-2005, 07:16 PM
But, how do you feel about DJ's?

Eh...they have their place I guess. I'm more into vacuum tubes, old guitars, and that kind of stuff...