PDA

View Full Version : OEM Vs. Retail XP?

Gaz
06-30-2005, 08:33 AM
I bought a HP computer with XP Home pre-loaded. I have come to suspect that was a mistake. The darned thing is riddled with stuff HP crammed into the OS. I am considering the purchase of XP Home so that I can just format the drive and install naked XP.

Can someone please explain OEM to me? I already have the manual that came with the computer, so I am not concerned about the lack thereof with OEM. As I understand it, I can load an OEM CD of Windows XP onto [1] computer. Does that mean I cannot load the OEM XP on a new computer if I reload the HP version of XP [from my restore disks] back onto this computer?

Please remember to use small words without too many syllables.

And please bear in mind that I am not interested in Linux or Mac. I understand the allegiance to those products and if I did not have years and years and years of Windows training and software, I would be happy to explore those alternatives. However, I know how to drive Windows and am not interested.

Thank you.

xoxo~
Gaz
Wants to simplify his computing experience.

Fat Elvis
06-30-2005, 08:46 AM
I'm kind of wondering how to get rid of the junk that HP stuffs onto thier comps as well. I just got mine a couple of days ago and there is just so much crap (most of which I prolly don't even know about) that I'd like to permanantly get off the computer. Any ideas on how to go about doing that?

Thanks

Fat E

unlurking
06-30-2005, 09:23 AM
OEM is a discounted version of the software, sold by an Original Equipment Manufacturer (if I remember correctly). I stopped bying OSs, but last time I did, in order to by OEM versions (which are full retail, just minus the packaging) you also needed to buy one of: a processor, motheboard, or HDD. I don't know if those are still the rules, but you might check into it.

Your HP is OEM + crap. If you buy OEM from a parts vendor, you can usually get the exact same CD that comes in a retail package plus a new HDD for about the same price as a retail version.

Gaz
06-30-2005, 09:23 AM
I went into Remove Programs and threw away tons of stuff. Then I used the “Block Startup Programs” utility in Microsoft Anti-Spyware and blocked or removed more stuff.

Then my computer did not work.

So, I restored XP from the disk [complete with all the HP “extras,” and used Remove Programs to dump whatever I could.

Mrs. Gaz has sworn a vow that she will NEVER buy another HP computer.

xoxo~
Gaz
The “Error” part of “Trial & Error.”

Gaz
06-30-2005, 09:25 AM
If I buy an OEM version of XP and load it on my computer, can I later use the restore disk to return it to pristine condition? And can I then load that OEM version of XP on another computer?

xoxo~
Gaz
Really wants “XP Lite.”

unlurking
06-30-2005, 09:32 AM
Yes.

An OEM version is EXACTLY the same as a normal retail version. OEM simply describes the discounted price and minimal packaging. What HP gives out is a "custom" version of the OEM software.

If you buy from somewhere like newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151), you can get it for about $90, but you have to order hardware as well. From the "features" section of that page:

"Must be purchased with Hardware"

You might contact them and fight what constitutes acceptable hardware. Who knows, they may be lax enough to sell it to you with something super cheap, like a flash drive or something.

EDIT:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Add it to your cart in that page, and they automatically add a $5 cable to your order, with a $5 instant rebate!

ROFL

I guess, don't worry about ordering hardware if you don't need anything!

htismaqe
06-30-2005, 09:45 AM
FYI, try to buy XP PROFESSIONAL.

XP Home Edition won't let you install on more than one machine...it will also freak out if you upgrade hardware in your machine...it does hardware checking.

Mr. Laz
06-30-2005, 10:02 AM
If I buy an OEM version of XP and load it on my computer, can I later use the restore disk to return it to pristine condition? And can I then load that OEM version of XP on another computer?

xoxo~
Gaz
Really wants “XP Lite.”

if you use a OEM version, you don't have a restore disk really

you have to re-install a windows all by itself again and then install all your personal programs again.

HP is really bad about adding junk to there computers ... i detest restore disks for that very reason.

Restore Disk = Tons of branded software

i recommend using OEM and Norton Ghost

install a brand new pristine version of XP with a OEM disk

then download/install all the XP updates

then load all your personal programs

the use Norton Ghost program to make your own "Restore Disk" for future use.

Gaz
06-30-2005, 10:53 AM
I was not clear. Sorry.

I buy XP, format my hard drive and load naked XP onto my machine.
When the time comes to upgrade to a new machine, can I load the restore disk that I made per instructions and bring the machine back to its original configuration [complete with all the HP crap]?

Can I then use my OEM XP CD to load XP on a new box?

xoxo~
Gaz
Weighing his choices.

AeroSquid
06-30-2005, 11:02 AM
I say download the Corp edition of XP and be done with it. You paid for XP already anyway...

Mr. Laz
06-30-2005, 12:16 PM
I was not clear. Sorry.

I buy XP, format my hard drive and load naked XP onto my machine.
When the time comes to upgrade to a new machine, can I load the restore disk that I made per instructions and bring the machine back to its original configuration [complete with all the HP crap]?

Can I then use my OEM XP CD to load XP on a new box?

xoxo~
Gaz
Weighing his choices.

ohh.... yea

you can format and reload all that HP crap anytime you want. Doesn't matter what operating system you put on there.... format cleans it all back to square 1.

Gaz
06-30-2005, 12:26 PM
Thanks.

xoxo~
Gaz
Shoulda bought a Mac umpteen years ago.

dirk digler
06-30-2005, 12:26 PM
Gaz go to eBay and buy XP Pro it will be cheaper there. I saw a few there for a little over $100.

Gaz
06-30-2005, 01:07 PM
I can get OEM XP Home for $65.

As far as I can tell, the added features of XP Pro are not value-added at Rancho Gaz.

What does Pro give me that Home does not and that I need?

xoxo~
Gaz
Cheap to the core.

Saulbadguy
06-30-2005, 01:19 PM
and that you need? Nothing really.

htismaqe
06-30-2005, 01:50 PM
I can get OEM XP Home for $65.

As far as I can tell, the added features of XP Pro are not value-added at Rancho Gaz.

What does Pro give me that Home does not and that I need?

xoxo~
Gaz
Cheap to the core.

You can install it on any machines or more than one machine at once.

XP Home uses hardware detection and won't install more than once.

Saulbadguy
06-30-2005, 02:00 PM
You can install it on any machines or more than one machine at once.

XP Home uses hardware detection and won't install more than once.
Shenanigans.

htismaqe
06-30-2005, 02:11 PM
Shenanigans.

All I know is I've heard tons of people here complain about having to register Windows, having trouble installing it on multiple machines, Windows freaking out when they install a new video card, etc.

Saulbadguy
06-30-2005, 02:13 PM
All I know is I've heard tons of people here complain about having to register Windows, having trouble installing it on multiple machines, Windows freaking out when they install a new video card, etc.
Indeed. Its a feature of XP Pro as well. Not the "corporate edition" or whatnot, though.

htismaqe
06-30-2005, 02:14 PM
Indeed. Its a feature of XP Pro as well. Not the "corporate edition" or whatnot, though.

Interesting.

I did not know there were two version of XP Pro. The copy I use at home (on 2 different PC's) I got for free for helping M$ with a large AD/XP desktop migration.

Saulbadguy
06-30-2005, 02:16 PM
Product activation is not in the corp. edition. It is in the retail/oem editions. Thats what I figure. I have a retail edition, and it requires activation.

Coach
06-30-2005, 03:11 PM
Mrs. Gaz has sworn a vow that she will NEVER buy another HP computer.

The best decision she would make in her life about computers, I can damn guarentee you that. I call HP, Packard Hell. My first computer was a HP, and I never went back. The worst decision I ever made when it came to buying a computer.

Saulbadguy
06-30-2005, 03:17 PM
I just read the original post.

I think buying a version of Windows XP is a waste of money considering you already own it. Just un-install all the HP preload stuff that came with it. Its not that hard. :shrug:

Gaz
07-01-2005, 05:32 AM
I just read the original post.

I think buying a version of Windows XP is a waste of money considering you already own it. Just un-install all the HP preload stuff that came with it. Its not that hard. :shrug:

See Post #4.

The last time I tried to excise all the HP crap, I lobotomized my computer.

xoxo~
Gaz
Once bitten.

htismaqe
07-01-2005, 05:41 AM
The best decision she would make in her life about computers, I can damn guarentee you that. I call HP, Packard Hell. My first computer was a HP, and I never went back. The worst decision I ever made when it came to buying a computer.

Hewlett Packard =! Packard Bell

Saulbadguy
07-01-2005, 05:56 AM
See Post #4.

The last time I tried to excise all the HP crap, I lobotomized my computer.

xoxo~
Gaz
Once bitten.

Then I used the “Block Startup Programs” utility in Microsoft Anti-Spyware and blocked or removed more stuff.

Well..you probably shouldn't have done that. :)

I still have a serious problem with you spending the $$$ on a regular copy of XP when you could remove the HP junk. Most, (i'd say all) of the stuff can be removed in the Add/Remove Programs control pannel applet. If you wish, we could help you with that...

Gaz
07-01-2005, 06:35 AM
Most of the HP crap does not even show up in ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS.

I assume that HP did that deliberately.

xoxo~
Gaz
Victim of corporate greed.

PastorMikH
07-01-2005, 06:56 AM
I remember the days when I used to use the OEM restore CDs. And I do know what Gaz is talking about. However, once I obtained a Windows XP Pro OS, I use it on my main computer to get away from all the proprietary stuff. And I don't think it makes too much difference which brand you buy, they are all getting bad about that stuff.

penguinz
07-01-2005, 10:13 AM
If you want a clean install of XP you can use the files that are on your PC. On your C:\ there should be a folder called "i386". If it is not on the root of your C:\ then do a search for it. Burn this directory to a cd.

After you have this file burned to a CD get yourself a Windows bootdisk that loads smartdrv. Boot to this disk.

Once you are at a DOS prompt change directories to i386 folder on the cd.

Once there run winnt.exe . This will start your Windows install. When it asks you if yo want to format the drive or leave as is choose to format it in NTFS (not the quick format). Your install code should be on the outside of your case.

As far as your question about buying an OEM copy and then moving it to a new machine later on.... An OEM license is non-trasferable from the machine it was first activated on.

Mr. Laz
07-01-2005, 12:41 PM
Most of the HP crap does not even show up in ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS.

I assume that HP did that deliberately.

xoxo~
Gaz
Victim of corporate greed.

ya... i think they do that deliberately too

have you tried using the HP CD to remove them?

they should also have a manual uninstall program for each program in it's own folder.

start > programs > find program name > unistall

if those don't work OR you prefer something a little more automatic ...

try this program:

>>>>>Uninstaller Pro<<<<<< (http://www.innovative-sol.com/uninstaller/index.htm)

it's just the trial version of the program, but it works for 20 days and you can that junk off your computer.

Gaz
07-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Laz-
I’ll check that out. Thanks.

penguinz-
Remember, I lobotomized my computer once already. Thanks for the information on re-using XP Home.

xoxo~
Gaz
Computer n00b.

Fire Me Boy!
07-02-2005, 05:29 AM
I bought a HP computer with XP Home pre-loaded. I have come to suspect that was a mistake. The darned thing is riddled with stuff HP crammed into the OS. I am considering the purchase of XP Home so that I can just format the drive and install naked XP.

Can someone please explain OEM to me? I already have the manual that came with the computer, so I am not concerned about the lack thereof with OEM. As I understand it, I can load an OEM CD of Windows XP onto [1] computer. Does that mean I cannot load the OEM XP on a new computer if I reload the HP version of XP [from my restore disks] back onto this computer?

Please remember to use small words without too many syllables.

And please bear in mind that I am not interested in Linux or Mac. I understand the allegiance to those products and if I did not have years and years and years of Windows training and software, I would be happy to explore those alternatives. However, I know how to drive Windows and am not interested.

Thank you.

xoxo~
Gaz
Wants to simplify his computing experience.

OK... I may have missed some of the other posts, so forgive me if I repeat someone.

First, you should have the XP disk with the computer. I believe places like HP, Compaq, etc. are required to give you a disk copy of every piece of software they pre-install. So you should already have WIndows XP. If you do not, and OEM will work perfectly. I know someone else mentioned newegg.com -- I have used them several times and they're good. I even have purchased Windows XP OEM from them. What constitutes "hardware" according to all sellers of OEM is an actual piece of hardware... that would include a $2 IDE cable. You just have to buy hardware.

If you look on Ebay, most places will sell the OEM like this, bundled with an IDE cable because it's cheap.

Gaz
07-02-2005, 07:45 AM
XP was pre-loaded on the machine. The OS restore was placed on a partition on the hard drive. We did not get an XP CD. As a result, I can only get the HP version of XP, complete with all the HP “extras.”

That will not happen again, but it is the situation that obtains right now.

xoxo~
Gaz
Learned his lesson.

unlurking
07-02-2005, 09:03 AM
As far as your question about buying an OEM copy and then moving it to a new machine later on.... An OEM license is non-trasferable from the machine it was first activated on.

I would like to clarify this real quick, as I have not used Windows in a long time personally and am very unfamiliar with the license activation feature. I am just going off what I have read in articles, so I may be off here.

I understand that the OEM license "agreement" says you will only have it installed with the hardware you purchased it with, but isn't it in fact the exact same software that comes with retail? In other words, if you "move" it to a different machine, don't you just have to "re-activate" it on that machine, which disables the activation on the previous machine, meaning it can no longer get updates?

I do know a lot of people have had to call Microsoft to get activation codes for moving Office products from machine to machine, if worst came to worst, I'm betting you could probably do the same with Window activation codes. Sure it would be a pain in the rear, but I imagine they'd have let you do that. I mean, how are they supposed to know that the "cable" you purchased with it did not get moved to the new machine?

Lastly, as someone else mentioned, you already paid for an OEM version, so I'd contact HP to see if they'd be willing to send you a basic CD. They may charge you $20 or something, or they might not do it at all (depends on how well you complain?), but I figure it's probably worth the effort.

-ul

Saulbadguy
07-02-2005, 09:35 AM
It would be cheaper to have someone make a house call to remove the HP stuff for you than it would be to buy a new XP Home CD.

dirk digler
07-02-2005, 10:03 AM
It would be cheaper to have someone make a house call to remove the HP stuff for you than it would be to buy a new XP Home CD.

Maybe most PC repairman I know charge somewhere between $50-$100 / hr.

Mr. Laz
07-02-2005, 11:36 AM
XP was pre-loaded on the machine. The OS restore was placed on a partition on the hard drive. We did not get an XP CD. As a result, I can only get the HP version of XP, complete with all the HP “extras.”

That will not happen again, but it is the situation that obtains right now.

xoxo~
Gaz
Learned his lesson.

can you uninstall the stuff with the program i showed you?

Fire Me Boy!
07-03-2005, 07:47 AM
The OEM license agreement says that you can install it three times without having to call Microsoft, and that it can only be installed on ONE computer at a time. That means that you can install it at home... if you upgrade your computer you can re-install it on your new computer, no problem. After the third re-installation, it won't let you activate it without calling MS first. As for only installing it on the hardware you purchased it with, that's BS.

Gaz
07-03-2005, 07:59 AM
Laz-

I was able to get to a few more, but most of the HP stuff does not show up there, either.

HP is wicked sneaky.

Still, it is an improvement. Thanks for the heads-up.

xoxo~
Gaz
Taking the small victories when he can get them.

Gaz
07-03-2005, 08:02 AM
Maybe most PC repairman I know charge somewhere between $50-$100 / hr.

I looked into this possibility, and the best estimate I got was $150.

I can get XP Home for $65 + shipping.

xoxo~
Gaz
Leaning ever closer to just wiping the drive and installing naked XP.

dirk digler
07-03-2005, 09:27 AM
I looked into this possibility, and the best estimate I got was $150.

I can get XP Home for $65 + shipping.

xoxo~
Gaz
Leaning ever closer to just wiping the drive and installing naked XP.

That was what I was thinking. It is cheaper just to buy the software than pay some guy to come fix it.