PDA

View Full Version : I gotta question for the Planet Golfers...

ChiefsFanatic
07-02-2005, 02:20 PM
I am looking to buy a new set of irons, probably on e-bay (which is where my last set came from.) I am looking for something cheap, $200 - $300, and I am a high-handicapper (I shoot in the 90's)

I have been looking at the Wilson Deep Red II Distance irons. All the reviews I have seen on the internet are positive. Has anyone ever hit any?

Or does anyone has any other suggestions on a relatively cheap set of game improvement irons?

Thanks,

ChiefsFanatic

Phobia
07-02-2005, 02:22 PM
There's a pawn shop on 350 Hwy that has a set of Armour 845 Silver Scotts, Ping eye 2s, and another set of BeCu pings in that price range.

I've go with one of those before playing a set of wilson irons.

Brando
07-02-2005, 02:24 PM
I've hit the Ping Eye 2's...very nice..drive out to that Pawn Shop today!

Skip Towne
07-02-2005, 02:31 PM
Are you left handed? William wants to sell his clubs every other day or so.

andoman
07-02-2005, 02:42 PM
Since you only shoot in the 90's, I'd suggest a set of these

Clubs (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3426810&cat=5214&type=21&dept=4125&path=0%3A4125%3A4152%3A5214)

:)

Miles
07-02-2005, 02:50 PM
Callaway makes some of the most forgiving clubs on the market and their irons are very popular game improvement sticks. You should be able to find a set of Callaway x-14's (non-pro model) on ebay for under $300.

I would definitly reccomend against going with an older, classic model like the 845's and Eye 2's. They are going to be more difficult to hit and do not take advantage of the newer technologies.

Miles
07-02-2005, 03:08 PM
You might also check out Taylor Made RAC HT or OS's and Ping I3 O-Size.

jspchief
07-02-2005, 04:00 PM
I would definitly reccomend against going with an older, classic model like the 845's and Eye 2's. They are going to be more difficult to hit and do not take advantage of the newer technologies.Ping Eye 2s difficult to hit? You must be kidding? They are incredibly forgiving, and will add excellent loft to the average hacker's game. I'm not a big fan of the Tommy Armour 845s, but the oversize aren't bad.

I'd rather have an older set of good clubs than a brand new set of crappy ones. Odds are, old Pings will be better than the latest Wilsons.

Look for an older set of over-sized, with steel shaft. The larger club face will be more forgiving, and it tends to give confidence. The steel shaft will keep the club head from flopping all over the place. The only people that should be using graphite shafted irons are old people and people with very slow swing speeds. Also, stay away from blades.

Here's some Eye 2s, but they have graphite shafts: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=56211&item=7166675771&rd=1

Here's a nice set of I3s: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=56210&item=7166647812&rd=1

ExtremeChief
07-02-2005, 04:04 PM
I just bought a set of Callaway big bertha Iron knock offs on ebay that I hit pretty well

3-sw 160 bucks shipped

fitted to your measurements

Miles
07-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Ping Eye 2s difficult to hit? You must be kidding? They are incredibly forgiving, and will add excellent loft to the average hacker's game. I'm not a big fan of the Tommy Armour 845s, but the oversize aren't bad.

I'd rather have an older set of good clubs than a brand new set of crappy ones. Odds are, old Pings will be better than the latest Wilsons.

Look for an older set of over-sized, with steel shaft. The larger club face will be more forgiving, and it tends to give confidence. The steel shaft will keep the club head from flopping all over the place. The only people that should be using graphite shafted irons are old people and people with very slow swing speeds. Also, stay away from blades.

I didnt say they were diffcult to hit just that they would be more difficult to hit than x-14s. The were great clubs back in the day but the improvements in iron techologly for mid/high handycappers has made them dated.

I agree graphite isnt worth messing with in irons. They dont have the torque problems they used to but I still dont like them because they kill the feel of the club. Plus they usually cost more.

ExtremeChief
07-02-2005, 04:54 PM
I wouldn't have graphite shafts in irons either. I had them for awhile and hated them.

jspchief
07-02-2005, 04:58 PM
I didnt say they were diffcult to hit just that they would be more difficult to hit than x-14s. The were great clubs back in the day but the improvements in iron techologly for mid/high handycappers has made them dated.

I agree graphite isnt worth messing with in irons. They dont have the torque problems they used to but I still dont like them because they kill the feel of the club. Plus they usually cost more.Eye 2s and x-14s are only about two years apart, iirc. I guess I didn't read your statement as "choose x-14 over Eye 2", I read it more as "stay away from Eye 2".

Anyway, I think the Eye 2 oversized is a pretty decent club. It feels good at address, has excellent loft, and the sole helps prevent fat shots. I haven't hit the x-14s (aren't those the Steelheads?), but I've hit the old and new Big Berthas, plus the x-16s and didn't like any of them as much as the Pings. I guess I'm not a big fan of Callaway irons. They just don't seem to live up to the price.

JimNasium
07-02-2005, 05:02 PM
Eye 2s and x-14s are only about two years apart, iirc. I guess I didn't read your statement as "choose x-14 over Eye 2", I read it more as "stay away from Eye 2".

Anyway, I think the Eye 2 oversized is a pretty decent club. It feels good at address, has excellent loft, and the sole helps prevent fat shots. I haven't hit the x-14s (aren't those the Steelheads?), but I've hit the old and new Big Berthas, plus the x-16s and didn't like any of them as much as the Pings. I guess I'm not a big fan of Callaway irons. They just don't seem to live up to the price.
Your thinking of the I-3. Personally I think the Eye 2 is the best iron ever produced by Ping.

TheChiefofSoCal
07-02-2005, 05:08 PM
My best advice is to find out your measurments,any good pros shop can do this.Then go find the clubs that fit You.I had a set of lynx years ago.When I bought my new set of fitted titeliest my game improved imensly.Also find a good club doctor.If your buying used,a good club doctor can work miricles.Good Luck.

jspchief
07-02-2005, 05:08 PM
Your thinking of the I-3. Personally I think the Eye 2 is the best iron ever produced by Ping.No I'm not. And I agree with your second statement.

WilliamTheIrish
07-02-2005, 05:23 PM
Are you left handed? William wants to sell his clubs every other day or so.

ROFL

I do have my days.

JimNasium
07-02-2005, 05:24 PM
No I'm not. And I agree with your second statement.
The Eye 2 was introduced in 1982 whereas the original Big Bertha iron didn't even come to market until 1994. I don't think the X-12's followed until 1999 or 2000.

######EDIT#########

According to Ping's website the EYE 2 plus design was introduced in 1990. You can still order these new from Ping dealers.

Miles
07-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Eye 2s and x-14s are only about two years apart, iirc. I guess I didn't read your statement as "choose x-14 over Eye 2", I read it more as "stay away from Eye 2".

Eye 2's have been out over 20 years but they made them for a longass time.

Yeah the X-14s are the steelheads. Callaway irons in general are more game improving clubs. They dont have all that great of a feel though and IMO dont look as good at setup as more traditional clubs.

Personally I love Ping Irons and play them myself (ISI's). Just think that something even more forgiving than some of their older models would be ideal for someone that shoots in the 90's. Though the I3's are only a few years old and would probably be perfect.

PastorMikH
07-02-2005, 05:38 PM
If you are looking on the net, here is a place that had done me well in the past. It is an auction style format without the volume of competition that ebay has.

http://www.golfclubexchange.com/

Herzig
07-02-2005, 06:16 PM
Based on your info you gave..

IMO...you can't go wrong with any of the Pings...I/3 O-size or I/3+, Eye 2's, ISI-K(oversize), or even the Zing 2's. Pings hold their value well, so if you buy them used, you should be able to get you paid for them. The Callaways are a good choice too...X-12's, X-14's...

Cleveland TA-5's are good and cheap too...

I do a lot of buying and selling on Ebay and www.4gea.com (go to the Swap Shop).

Herzig
07-02-2005, 06:36 PM
Forgot these...pretty forgiving for the high handicapper..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18956&item=7166620048&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Phobia
07-02-2005, 08:33 PM
If you are looking on the net, here is a place that had done me well in the past. It is an auction style format without the volume of competition that ebay has.

http://www.golfclubexchange.com/

Yup. All my wedges are from there. Oops - so are my DCI 962's - got them with one round on 'em. I also sold my old set of DCIs on that site.

ChiefsFanatic
07-03-2005, 01:21 AM

Clubs (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3426810&cat=5214&type=21&dept=4125&path=0%3A4125%3A4152%3A5214)

Ouch! :cuss:

ChiefsFanatic
07-03-2005, 01:27 AM
I know people think Wilson clubs are crap, but Padraig harrington does not think so. Also, I have a lot of problem with torque, so I thought the fat shafts might help.

Please look at some reviews of the Wilson clubs in question. reviews (http://www.consumerreview.com/cat/golfreview/irons/Wilson/PRD_299217_2940crx.aspx)

So, I guess no one has hit any. I have played with some eye 2s, and Ping Zings,(hated both) as well as hit some other clubs like the Cleveland TA7s. The club I liked most was the Callaway X-18. I know they are a lot, but I might just try to snag some on e-bay.

More than I want to spend, though.

Thanks for the help.

Phobia
07-03-2005, 01:30 AM
I know people think Wilson clubs are crap, but Padraig harrington does not think so. Also, I have a lot of problem with torque, so I thought the fat shafts might help.

If you shoot in the 90's, you don't have a lot of problems with torque, you have a lot of problems with swing. How could you possibly know your problem is torque related if you aren't any more consistent than a 90's golfer?

FWIW, this is coming from a golfer who is approximately in your same skill level.

P.S. Padraig Harrington thinks Wilson endorsement checks are a whole lot better than the damn sticks.

ChiefsFanatic
07-03-2005, 02:04 AM
If you shoot in the 90's, you don't have a lot of problems with torque, you have a lot of problems with swing. How could you possibly know your problem is torque related if you aren't any more consistent than a 90's golfer?

FWIW, this is coming from a golfer who is approximately in your same skill level.

P.S. Padraig Harrington thinks Wilson endorsement checks are a whole lot better than the damn sticks.

My grips wear in the thumbs really quickly, and the pro at Adams Pointe told me that it was likely caused by the fact that my grip is too tight, and that because of a swing flaw (uncorrectable, why, cause I suck) I was experiencing too much twisting of the club at impact. I assumed this was torque.

HemiEd
07-03-2005, 02:11 AM

Exactly and
Padraig's clubs probably do not resemble exactly what is available to the public.

Phobia
07-03-2005, 02:11 AM
My grips wear in the thumbs really quickly, and the pro at Adams Pointe told me that it was likely caused by the fact that my grip is too tight, and that because of a swing flaw (uncorrectable, why, cause I suck) I was experiencing too much twisting of the club at impact. I assumed this was torque.

Fix your swing and then worry about torque. The pro at Adam's Pointe could be completely FOS. If your grips at the thumbs wear quickly, you have a grip issue. Clearly, you're squeezing the club too tightly and that's just for starters. Buy a lesson focusing on grip fundamentals first and foremost.

ChiefsFanatic
07-03-2005, 02:37 AM
Fix your swing and then worry about torque. The pro at Adam's Pointe could be completely FOS. If your grips at the thumbs wear quickly, you have a grip issue. Clearly, you're squeezing the club too tightly and that's just for starters. Buy a lesson focusing on grip fundamentals first and foremost.

I have had a lesson or two, and my swing, at times, is very good. I have had two teaching pros tell me that my grip looks perfect (cosmetically) I do hold the club a little too hard, but I can always feel the the clubhead twist when I hit the ball. Even when taped, and I am hitting the sweet spot of the club, I always have the twisting motion.

I have no idea what it is, and I have no idea what I am doing in my swing. Johnny Miller can watch a golfer and tell you when he has changed his swing by inches, yet I can't even figure out what I am doing in mine from swing to swing.

Thanks for the input.

Herzig
07-03-2005, 06:35 AM

Great advice. I would do this and/OR..buy a training grip at any golf shop that shows you exactly what position your hands and fingers should be in. You could also try several different types of grips such as Cord, half cord....Lamkin and golf pride are excellent choices..or some non-cord like Lamkin's Dual Density. My guess is that you are gripping too tightly because you think that you have a stability problem through impact. Some of these grips may give you that secure grip without the "death grip" you are putting on the club.

Hogan said that if you are gripping the club correctly, you should grip with only enough pressure as if you had an egg in your hands. Hope this helps.

Also...go to a golf store and DEMO some of these sticks before you buy them on Ebay or elsewhere. That's the best way to go IMO

Skip Towne
07-03-2005, 06:40 AM
Great advice. I would do this and/OR..buy a training grip at any golf shop that shows you exactly what position your hands and fingers should be in. You could also try several different types of grips such as Cord, half cord....Lamkin and golf pride are excellent choices..or some non-cord like Lamkin's Dual Density. My guess is that you are gripping too tightly because you think that you have a stability problem through impact. Some of these grips may give you that secure grip without the "death grip" you are putting on the club.

Hogan said that if you are gripping the club correctly, you should grip with only enough pressure as if you had an egg in your hands. Hope this helps.

Also...go to a golf store and DEMO some of these sticks before you buy them on Ebay or elsewhere. That's the best way to go IMO
I love that last paragraph. I'll bet the Pro Shop people hate you. Better have the bomb dog sniff out your rental carts.

Herzig
07-03-2005, 06:47 AM
I love that last paragraph. I'll bet the Pro Shop people hate you. Better have the bomb dog sniff out your rental carts.

Believe me, I give them my fair share of business(except if they only knew me!). In fact, the manager of Golf Headquarters calls me a lot to go golfing!

Phobia
07-03-2005, 08:20 AM

Hogan also said your club should be in your fingertips, not your palms. If you're using a true Hogan grip, the index finger on your right hand isn't even doing anything to secure the club.

But, if ChiefFanatic isn't using a Hogan style grip, he shouldn't be listening to our advice because it's only going to mess him up more.

That twisting sounds to my amateur ears like he might be striking the ball on the toe, too.

CoMoChief
07-03-2005, 08:40 AM

LOL :LOL:

ROYC75
07-03-2005, 09:11 AM
My best advice is to find out your measurments,any good pros shop can do this.Then go find the clubs that fit You.I had a set of lynx years ago.When I bought my new set of fitted titeliest my game improved imensly.Also find a good club doctor.If your buying used,a good club doctor can work miricles.Good Luck.

Some very sound adivise here...... I was going to mention it until your post.

I will only add to it that if you are going to get serious about the game, a good quality oversize club is your best route, as long as you have them sized and fitted for your hands. I'm talking length, grip size, shaft strength ( speed of your swing ) . Golf is about feel, you have to have something in your hands that feel right before you swing it right.

After that, take a few lessons if you are new at it to get the basics right, you must be balanced when swinging.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted by Phobia - Today at 03:11 AM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fix your swing and then worry about torque. The pro at Adam's Pointe could be completely FOS. If your grips at the thumbs wear quickly, you have a grip issue. Clearly, you're squeezing the club too tightly and that's just for starters. Buy a lesson focusing on grip fundamentals first and foremost
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I agree....... you are gripping the shaft to tight, a tight grip will lead to much control from the arm tending to hook or slice......... Lighten up Francis :D

ROYC75
07-03-2005, 09:16 AM
I have had a lesson or two, and my swing, at times, is very good. I have had two teaching pros tell me that my grip looks perfect (cosmetically) I do hold the club a little too hard, but I can always feel the the clubhead twist when I hit the ball. Even when taped, and I am hitting the sweet spot of the club, I always have the twisting motion.

I have no idea what it is, and I have no idea what I am doing in my swing. Johnny Miller can watch a golfer and tell you when he has changed his swing by inches, yet I can't even figure out what I am doing in mine from swing to swing.

Thanks for the input.

While I'm no pro, I would say yes. If you are in fact using a loosened grip and the club is turning in your hand, I would bet you are hitting it out of center, like on the toe of the club.