PDA

View Full Version : Live Aid, the performers, your opinions please

chagrin
07-02-2005, 03:11 PM
NOT the cause, comments on the music...

Has anybody watched Live Aid 8 today? these "artists" are vomitous Live, it should be In front of a Studio audience recorded Aid 8. Holy shit, what the hell ever happened to substance? Dido was just on and they tried to Africa up her song thank you, ICK! fuggin Paul Simon should never have put out his album Graceland, because now every fuggin moron with a publicist and pretty face is doing it, except they can't pull it off. I don't have alot of time right now or this post would be alot longer, but I just want to know what everybody thinks of the "performers" so far? NOT the Cause but the performances.

Man, Live Aid, the first time was very good. I don't know what the hell this is supposed to be, Dave Matthews telling us how bad we are for not giving enough and Padme Amidala doing her best sinead impression. Gross, that's all I have to say, gross.

when the hell is Floyd coming on??

Reaper16
07-02-2005, 03:14 PM

^^^

FloridaChief
07-02-2005, 03:21 PM
and Padme Amidala doing her best sinead impression. Gross, that's all I have to say, gross.

Portman's such a good-looking girl. God only knows why she chose to f*ck herself up with a buzz cut. Sad.

I'd start watching for Floyd at about 5:40 EST, though I think it might be closer to 6 before they come on.

And one more thing, (I never tought I'd say this) props to AOL for the free on-line coverage of LIVE-8. So much better than the pathetic MTV/VH-1 feed. I'm seriously thinking of writing AOL a fan letter thanking them...

laser1972
07-02-2005, 03:24 PM
MTV, just show the phucking concert, we dont need to hear you idiots try and interview people and give your 10,000 commericals.. Thank god for AOL (and i will be cancelling after the live-8)...

Still waiting for Pink Floyd, i doubt MTV will show it, too busy with Jay Z and Will Smith probably

chagrin
07-02-2005, 03:24 PM
Free online coverage is cool

FloridaChief
07-02-2005, 03:28 PM
Still waiting for Pink Floyd, i doubt MTV will show it,

They went to a commercial set right into the middle of Madonna's set. And you know if they do that to Madonna, they won't even hesitate to cut away in the middle of Pink Floyd. C*cksuckers.

Again, thank God for AOL's coverage. No commercials, no idiotic commetary...

chagrin
07-02-2005, 03:30 PM
watching those teenybopper type plastic faced, dumb like a ****ing stump "today's youth" fuvking morons try and make political statements (I am talking about the commentators this time) makes me more afraid than ever. to get old.

chagrin
07-02-2005, 03:42 PM
Thank you, the who

Miles
07-02-2005, 03:45 PM
They went to a commercial set right into the middle of Madonna's set. And you know if they do that to Madonna, they won't even hesitate to cut away in the middle of Pink Floyd. C*cksuckers.

Again, thank God for AOL's coverage. No commercials, no idiotic commetary...

Man im glad you posted something about the AOL stream. I turned on the tv just to catch the Who and Floyd and they had a commerical and were talking during Who are you.

tk13
07-02-2005, 03:55 PM
Heaven forbid during a concert for Africa they "Africa up" a song or two, what a travesty. Youssou N'Dour is a pretty good singer, I think he was too high up in the mix when Dido was singing, but that's not his fault. A lot of times this live stuff doesn't come across very well on TV anyway. Especially with all these different acts and voices and instruments, I'm sure it's a lot of work to try and make them all sound good. As a side note, I don't think Paul Simon was the first musician to use african influences in his music either...

FloridaChief
07-02-2005, 03:56 PM
Five minutes to Pink Floyd...

Oddly, I have butterflies...

Pezman
07-02-2005, 03:59 PM
FLOYD!!!

Ok there, I said it. This is going to rule!
Just be sure to watch the webcast since the whore corporates at MTV wont show it worth shiat...

Miles
07-02-2005, 04:00 PM
Been waiting for this for a long time.

JimNasium
07-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Nice set. I haven't been following this all that closely. Is this a permanant reunion or just for this show?

tk13
07-02-2005, 04:25 PM
That was pretty awesome. I'm amazed MTV stuck with it that long...

Pezman
07-02-2005, 04:28 PM
Floydgasmic... So good to see those old fossils together again. Rog and David doing "Comfortably Numb" together made my year!

FloridaChief
07-02-2005, 04:31 PM
Nice set. I haven't been following this all that closely. Is this a permanant reunion or just for this show?

Just a one-off, according to Nick Mason.

I was both surprised and amazed! Glad they stuck with the "KISS" concept and played arrangements they knew in their sleep. That was perhaps the best live version of "Money" I've ever heard, probably because they stuck closely to the album arrangement. "Comfortably Numb" got a *tad* sloppy towards the end, but that's understandable.

I'm very pleased, overall! The lads came off better than I expected!

WoodDraw
07-02-2005, 04:36 PM
There are some good performers if you can actually find a place to listen to them. The MTV/VH1 coverage is pathetic. AOL is doing a nice job.

Ultra Peanut
07-02-2005, 04:36 PM
Portman's such a good-looking girl. God only knows why she chose to f*ck herself up with a buzz cut. Sad.I believe it's for a movie.

It's the first time I've tuned in all day, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised... why the hell do these assclowns feel the need to interrupt Stevie Wonder in order to, err, gush about him? How about just LETTING people see and hear how great he is without you tards who made me turn the channel almost as soon as I flipped over?

Armyofme
07-02-2005, 04:47 PM
I was wondering why David Gilmour was singing everything. Isn't that the point of bringing back Roger... to let him sing?

Then I heard Roger sing a bit in "Wish you were here" and realized why. He has lost his singing voice. He sounded horrible.

Good thing Dave can still hold his own :)

Miles
07-02-2005, 04:52 PM
I was wondering why David Gilmour was singing everything. Isn't that the point of bringing back Roger... to let him sing?

Then I heard Roger sing a bit in "Wish you were here" and realized why. He has lost his singing voice. He sounded horrible.

Good thing Dave can still hold his own :)

He was singing all the usual parts. He may have sounded a little off in part of wish you were here but sounded great during Comfortably Numb.

He hasnt lost all that much over the years at all.

chagrin
07-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Heaven forbid during a concert for Africa they "Africa up" a song or two, what a travesty. Youssou N'Dour is a pretty good singer, I think he was too high up in the mix when Dido was singing, but that's not his fault. A lot of times this live stuff doesn't come across very well on TV anyway. Especially with all these different acts and voices and instruments, I'm sure it's a lot of work to try and make them all sound good. As a side note, I don't think Paul Simon was the first musician to use african influences in his music either...

Wow...You are a veteran of this board and you had to have realized I was on a rant and very disappointed with the horrible sound and not trying to claim I am a musical genious, which I am not. I would be willing to guess though that you are not a musician at all, correct? If so, how could you think that was arespectable performance?

P.S. Heavan forbid they "Africa up" a song in Africa?

Does that mean that Dido should have a Russian accomany her on stage while in Russia, a German while in Germany?? Nice try but I wasn't trying to get into a political discussion.
They still sucked. Youssou N'Dour may be a respected singer, but that blew, period. I am not hammering on good ole Youssou's character or ability.

tk13
07-02-2005, 06:25 PM
Wow...You are a veteran of this board and you had to have realized I was on a rant and very disappointed with the horrible sound and not trying to claim I am a musical genious, which I am not. I would be willing to guess though that you are not a musician at all, correct? If so, how could you think that was arespectable performance?

P.S. Heavan forbid they "Africa up" a song in Africa?

Does that mean that Dido should have a Russian accomany her on stage while in Russia, a German while in Germany?? Nice try but I wasn't trying to get into a political discussion.
They still sucked. Youssou N'Dour may be a respected singer, but that blew, period. I am not hammering on good ole Youssou's character or ability.
My point was simply that an idea you might find as "ICK", somebody else might enjoy. It had nothing to do with personal musical ability or politics. It also has nothing to do with me being a "veteran" or you being a newbie. You're way off in right field here.

Rausch
07-02-2005, 06:36 PM
****. I missed it.

Didn't know it was today, didn't know it was on, didn't watch the reunion.

Hopefully it'll be on some file sharing service in a couple days...

tk13
07-02-2005, 06:39 PM
****. I missed it.

There's supposed to be a highlight show on ABC... I'm sure they'll at least show some of that performance...

mikey23545
07-02-2005, 08:01 PM
As a side note, I don't think Paul Simon was the first musician to use african influences in his music either...

Neil Diamond
"Tap Root Manuscript"

Reviewer: A Marsh (USA) -
I was born in late 1969, and my parents must have bought this album shortly thereafter, for I have always known it. These songs are interwoven into my earliest memories. Consequently, it's probably not possible to write an entirely objective review. But I think my judgment may have matured to the point where I can separate at least some of the musical wheat from the chaff of my childhood.

This album was obviously a labor of love for Neil Diamond. Everything about it was lovingly wrought, including the packaging. In fact, my only complaint about the CD reissue is the loss of the gorgeous design work of art director John C. Le Prevost, designer Virginia Clark, photographers Jim Metropole and Larry Bartome, and calligrapher Jonzarr Haber. The original album cover had a satisfying heft to it, being printed on incredibly heavy, textured stock. Although it housed a single record, it folded out like a double album, revealing the other half of the moody, introspective photograph that began on the front cover and continued on like a Cinerama movie screen. Included inside was a booklet, printed on fine writing paper, supplying the lyrics for 'Childsong,' 'I Am The Lion,' 'Soolaimon,' and 'Missa' (in both English and Swahili) in earthy sepia calligraphy. Additionally, it included Neil Diamond's own explanation of the concept of the album:

"When rhythm and blues lost its sensuality for me I fell in love with a woman named gospel. We met secretly in the churches of Harlem, and made love at revival meetings in Mississippi. And loving her as I did, I found a great yearning to know of her roots. And I found them. And they were in Africa. And they left me breathless. The African Trilogy is an attempt to convey my passion for the folk music of that black continent."

Sadly, this inscription and the other extras were left off of the reissue CD. Gone are the printed lyrics, the quality paper, the calligraphy, the credits, and all the other features that gave `Tap Root Manuscript' its air of earnest dignity. The CD merely has a glossy photo of the front cover. Gone is the other half of the photograph. The spine is generic. There are no liner notes, and inside is a jarringly anachronistic and graphically ugly advertisement listing other MCA artists. If I were Neil Diamond, I would be peeved. Heck, I'm not Neil Diamond and I'm still peeved.

Nonetheless, the music remains, and what others have said above is true. `Tap Root Manuscript' beat Paul Simon's `Graceland' to the punch by a good 15 years. It also foreshadowed David Byrne's Brazilian epic, `Rei Momo.' But neither Byrne nor Simon were brave enough or honest enough to include something as overtly Christian as `Missa' (in English, "Christ, Christ, Christ, I shall meet him... A child has been born. Christ, gloria.") Neil Diamond remains the only artist to acknowledge the explosion of Christianity in Africa and to link it to American gospel music, though at times `African Trilogy' sounds more like traditional choral music and chant than gospel.

On another technical note, I am grateful that the CD returns to the original continuity of the album. Like the Sergeant Pepper album, some of the songs on `Tap Root Manuscript' were contiguous, without the standard five seconds or so of silence in between. When MCA released the cassette version, they arbitrarily stuck in some pauses that didn't belong, with a result that sounded careless and disjointed. The CD version wisely restores the original, continuous format.

This is one of the few albums I own that is good all the way through. It is also one of the very few that seems to appeal to all generations. My boomer parents, my classically trained wife, my 70-year-old mother-in-law, and my Radiohead-loving brother all have embraced it.

I recently played 'I Am the Lion' for my three-year-old daughter, and it captured her imagination with an immediacy that echoed the me I must have been thirty years ago. I had forgotten all about that. It's sort of nice to be able to recapture it.

Miles
07-02-2005, 09:48 PM
****. I missed it.

If you havent already check torrentspy.com

beavis
07-02-2005, 10:17 PM
He was singing all the usual parts. He may have sounded a little off in part of wish you were here but sounded great during Comfortably Numb.

He hasnt lost all that much over the years at all.
He never had much to begin with, as a vocalist that is. Gilmour is vastly superior in that regard.

Miles
07-02-2005, 10:29 PM
He never had much to begin with, as a vocalist that is. Gilmour is vastly superior in that regard.

I agree that Gilmour always had a better voice but Waters was still pretty good.

Logical
07-02-2005, 11:24 PM
Floydgasmic... So good to see those old fossils together again. Rog and David doing "Comfortably Numb" together made my year!I was definitely not impressed with Floyd, fraid their vocals have suffered greatly due to age. Musicianship was still quality though.

By the way out here it was on ABC and I did not see a single performance that was cut away from for interviews. Course I did not watch the entire event.

Logical
07-02-2005, 11:25 PM
There's supposed to be a highlight show on ABC... I'm sure they'll at least show some of that performance...

Ah so this explains it.