PDA

View Full Version : Today is my first attempt at smoked brisket

mlyonsd
07-03-2005, 11:01 AM
It's also my first attempt at a homemade BBQ sauce.

The menu tonight consists of brisket sandwiches, homemade baked beans and cole slaw.

The brisket just went on, whiskey is chilling in the freezer, and the entertainment tonight is $200 worth of fireworks. I live on a pretty high hill in the country which allows me to see quite a few other fireworks shows too.

It's going to be a great night. Anybody else have plans for celebrating the 4th a day early?

dirk digler
07-03-2005, 11:03 AM
It's also my first attempt at a homemade BBQ sauce.

The menu tonight consists of brisket sandwiches, homemade baked beans and cole slaw.

The brisket just went on, whiskey is chilling in the freezer, and the entertainment tonight is $200 worth of fireworks. I live on a pretty high hill in the country which allows me to see quite a few other fireworks shows too.

It's going to be a great night. Anybody else have plans for celebrating the 4th a day early?

No I am coming over to your place. Thanks for inviting me I will be there around 5.

Simplex3
07-03-2005, 11:03 AM
If you need any quality control I'm available.

mlyonsd
07-03-2005, 11:06 AM
The more the merrier. If anyone has suggestions on smoking a brisket I'm all ears.

4th and Long
07-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Today is my first attempt at smoked brisket
I suggest you get and old album cover, prefereably a double album that folds open.

1. Open the album cover up.
2. Remove the briket from the baggy.
3. Throw the brisket on it.
4. Shake vigerously untill all the seeds roll to the middle of the cover.
5. Discard the seeds.
6. Put brisket back in baggy.
7. Smoke the brisket as needed.

- 4th
isnt sure that's what mlyonsd was talking about when he said "smoking a brisket."

Phobia
07-03-2005, 11:09 AM
I'd throw out some suggestions, but I'm kind busy making a virtual girl hump a ball.

dirk digler
The more the merrier. If anyone has suggestions on smoking a brisket I'm all ears.

I smoked my very first one a month ago. It was pretty easy I just kept basting it every hr. I think it took around 7 hrs to finish and the meat was so tender. Next time I will smother it with alot BBQ sauce .

4th and Long
I'd throw out some suggestions, but I'm kind busy making a virtual girl hump a ball.
ROFL More cross thread humor. ROFL

dirk digler

Poor Pink. :shake:

mlyonsd
07-03-2005, 11:10 AM
I suggest you get and old album cover, prefereably a double album that folds open.

1. Open the album cover up.
2. Remove the briket from the baggy.
3. Throw the brisket on it.
4. Shake vigerously untill all the seeds roll to the middle of the cover.
5. Discard the seeds.
6. Put brisket back in baggy.
7. Smoke the brisket as needed.

- 4th
isnt sure that's what mlyonsd was talking about when he said "smoking a brisket."

ROFL Believe me, that thought went through my head when I was trying to word the title. I almost went with "Today is my first attempt at smoking a brisket" but knew that would draw quite a few jabs.

mlyonsd
07-03-2005, 11:11 AM

Never taunt happy fun ball.

mlyonsd
07-03-2005, 11:15 AM
I smoked my very first one a month ago. It was pretty easy I just kept basting it every hr. I think it took around 7 hrs to finish and the meat was so tender. Next time I will smother it with alot BBQ sauce .

I looked at several recipes but decided on an overnight rub followed up with an hourly mopping of a beer/vinegar based sauce. I'll smoke it for about 4 hours and then wrap it foil for another 2 to 3 to help tenderize it. Then the BBQ sauce will be served on the side for those that would like it on their sandwiches. Like I said, this is my first attempt.

Phobia
07-03-2005, 11:16 AM
I looked at several recipes but decided on an overnight rub followed up with an hourly mopping of a beer/vinegar based sauce. I'll smoke it for about 4 hours and then wrap it foil for another 2 to 3 to help tenderize it. Then the BBQ sauce will be served on the side for those that would like it on their sandwiches. Like I said, this is my first attempt.

Sounds like it will be perfect. Have fun.

dirk digler
07-03-2005, 11:17 AM

That is exactly what I did. Great minds think alike.

htismaqe
07-03-2005, 01:29 PM
You put it on at noon and you're gonna eat it tonight?

How big is it?

Brisket should be cooked for 2 hours per pound at 225-degrees. My brisket last weekend went for 14 hours.

mlyonsd
07-03-2005, 01:35 PM
You put it on at noon and you're gonna eat it tonight?

How big is it?

Brisket should be cooked for 2 hours per pound at 225-degrees. My brisket last weekend went for 14 hours.

It's only about 5 lbs. What internal temp do you look for?

htismaqe
07-03-2005, 01:49 PM
It's only about 5 lbs. What internal temp do you look for?

I don't. Taking an internal temp requires sticking a thermometer in the meat. Puncturing the meat is a no-no, IMO.

You are using foil, which about doubles the cooking process. The problem is that by wrapping it in foil, you're essentially boiling the meat in it's own moisture. It will cook faster and be just as tender (if not more so) but the flavor won't be nearly as full.

At any rate, if you would need to smoke it for about 10 hours. If you do 4 on the smoker and 3 in foil (equivalent of 6 hours in the open) you should be good to go.

mlyonsd
07-03-2005, 01:53 PM
I don't. Taking an internal temp requires sticking a thermometer in the meat. Puncturing the meat is a no-no, IMO.

You are using foil, which about doubles the cooking process. The problem is that by wrapping it in foil, you're essentially boiling the meat in it's own moisture. It will cook faster and be just as tender (if not more so) but the flavor won't be nearly as full.

At any rate, if you would need to smoke it for about 10 hours. If you do 4 on the smoker and 3 in foil (equivalent of 6 hours in the open) you should be good to go.

I agree with the poking, I only do that when I absolutely think something's done and needs to come off.

I agree to an extent about the wrapping in foil takes something away from the smoke flavor, especially considering I'm one that thinks if smoke is pouring out you're smoking it too hard. I have an electric smoker, btw.

Demonpenz
07-03-2005, 02:40 PM
Never taunt happy fun ball.

happy funball reference classic!

Phobia
07-03-2005, 04:14 PM
Today is my first attempt at duplicating my FIL's chili. If this stuff turns out right, I won't be online for the next couple days - just eating chili fulltime.

htismaqe
07-03-2005, 07:01 PM
I agree with the poking, I only do that when I absolutely think something's done and needs to come off.

I agree to an extent about the wrapping in foil takes something away from the smoke flavor, especially considering I'm one that thinks if smoke is pouring out you're smoking it too hard. I have an electric smoker, btw.

You're using an electric heating element to generate heat for cooking. You can still use wood to add flavor. No, it's not like burning pure wood, but neither is using lump charcoal, which is what I do.

And if you do enough BBQ, you'll get to the point where you know it's done by touching it...then you don't need to jab a thermometer in it.

StcChief
07-04-2005, 01:13 AM
Low and slow is the word for brisket.

Good overnight soaking in a marionade.

Rausch
07-04-2005, 01:16 AM

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaah..........

Phobia
07-04-2005, 01:43 AM

Good overnight soaking in a marionade.

Heh. I'm still babysitting chili. Tequilla makes it bearable. Hiccups suck.

htismaqe
07-04-2005, 05:41 AM
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaah..........

Thank you, Barry White.

htismaqe
07-04-2005, 05:46 AM
Heh. I'm still babysitting chili. Tequilla makes it bearable. Hiccups suck.

I'll bet Phil was sick. :D

Rausch
07-04-2005, 05:54 AM
Thank you, Barry White.

If only...