PDA

View Full Version : How can KU get away with hiring a recruit's father AFTER he commits?

jAZ
07-03-2005, 05:19 PM
I know Ed Manning was on KU's staff, but it was something like 2 years before Danny commited to KU IIRC.

It seems pretty sketchy, IMO.

I'm guessing it's within the rules, since it has happened... but I can't see WHY it's within the rules.

ROYC75
07-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Because if he was qualified and didn't get the chance to apply for the job it would be discrimination.

Braincase
07-03-2005, 05:36 PM
I know Ed Manning was on KU's staff, but it was something like 2 years before Danny commited to KU IIRC.

It seems pretty sketchy, IMO.

I'm guessing it's within the rules, since it has happened... but I can't see WHY it's within the rules.

Ed Manning came to KU shortly before Danny committed to KU, but it certainly wasn't two ywars. Now if Ed Manning showed up at KU camps as a "counselor", I couldn't say.

It's all clean, and what it comes down to is whether or not there was a guarantee of getting the job. Telling somebody they have "an outstanding shot" is one thing, but it's no guarantee. What I'm surprised about is that nobody has offered Micah Down's dad a job as a foreman or lead carpenter at some millwork or a construction company.

schneider221
07-03-2005, 05:49 PM
I would wather have my jayhawks hire a high school basketball coach who has a son on the team to be on thh staff, then hire a high school basketball coach, who has been accused of stealing money from his high school, who has a former player on the team.

One is better then the other.....

WilliamTheIrish
07-03-2005, 05:50 PM
Why did the NCAA recind the 5-8 rule?

Because it began to affect 'name' programs.

It's all a scam. The NCAA is joke.

One Shining Moment my eye.

Pitt Gorilla
07-03-2005, 06:16 PM
KU is crooked?

the Talking Can
07-03-2005, 07:05 PM
The same way every program on earth does.

Ultra Peanut
07-03-2005, 07:07 PM
Why did the NCAA recind the 5-8 rule?

Because it began to affect 'name' programs. Wrong. They repealed the 5/8 rule because it was ****ing retarded.

ChiefsFanatic
07-03-2005, 07:22 PM
How could Norm Stewart hire a KU recruit's father, after the recruit committed to KU, just to steal the recruit.

Some might say that is just using your noggin, but I call it underhanded.

Hiring your own recruit's father, who holds a B.A. and M.B.A., after his son had committed months before is much more legit.

redbrian
07-03-2005, 08:00 PM
How could Norm Stewart hire a KU recruit's father, after the recruit committed to KU, just to steal the recruit.

Some might say that is just using your noggin, but I call it underhanded.

Hiring your own recruit's father, who holds a B.A. and M.B.A., after his son had committed months before is much more legit.

Don't know what a BA or MBA has to do with coaching, but I've got no problem with a school giving a job to who ever they want to regardless of skill, education or relationships.

If a kid wants to play for a team that hires his daddy then thatís up to the school, the player and the father.

If the kid needs daddy to keep him out of certain establishments then itís probably best for all concerned.

Braincase
07-03-2005, 08:18 PM
Don't know what a BA or MBA has to do with coaching, but I've got no problem with a school giving a job to who ever they want to regardless of skill, education or relationships.

If a kid wants to play for a team that hires his daddy then thatís up to the school, the player and the father.

If the kid needs daddy to keep him out of certain establishments then itís probably best for all concerned.

Or to keep him from hitting women...but then again for advice on women, theres always the chancellor's wife, I suppose.

WilliamTheIrish
07-03-2005, 08:30 PM
Wrong. They repealed the 5/8 rule because it was ****ing retarded.

Not wrong at all. That rule f*cked ovwer so many programs and their complaints fell on deaf ears until Duke lost Maggette,Brand and several others.
Then when K complained, all their ears went up.

I'll agree it was a wee todded rule. But the NCAA gave not one good damn about it till the big boys started getting wounded by it. However, by that time, many programs had already bled out.

Skip Towne
07-03-2005, 08:34 PM
Not wrong at all. That rule f*cked ovwer so many programs and their complaints fell on deaf ears until Duke lost Maggette,Brand and several others.
Then when K complained, all their ears went up.

I'll agree it was a wee todded rule. But the NCAA gave not one good damn about it till the big boys started getting wounded by it. However, by that time, many programs had already bled out.
:crybaby: Whiny little bitch.

WilliamTheIrish
07-03-2005, 09:04 PM
:crybaby: Whiny little bitch.

F*ck you punk.

Skip Towne
07-03-2005, 09:34 PM
F*ck you punk.
Is romance all you think about? I told you I have a headache.

gblowfish
07-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Ricky Clemons says it's probably some crazy crackers behind this shizzle....

DJay23
07-03-2005, 11:19 PM
http://www.kusports.com/news/mens_basketball/story/114759

Another "package deal?": Kansas State on Friday announced the hiring of Ben Kelso as the team's new assistant coach. Kelso, 58, spent the past season as the head boys' basketball coach at Central High School in Detroit, where he coached incoming Wildcat freshman Deilvez Yearby.

DJay23
07-03-2005, 11:24 PM
http://www.kusports.com/news/mens_basketball/story/114727

Kansas gains another Chalmers
Father of freshman joins Self's coaching staff

By Gary Bedore, Assistant Sports Editor

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

As father of a McDonald's All-American, Ronnie Chalmers knows rival basketball fans will be screaming "Package deal" following his hiring Tuesday as Kansas University's director of basketball operations.

advertisement

Chalmers, head coach at Bartlett High in Anchorage, Alaska, the past five years where he and son/KU signee Mario Chalmers won a pair of state titles, says that couldn't be farther from the truth.

"People will think it was a package deal. It wasn't. I know it's not the case," Ronnie Chalmers told the Journal-World on Tuesday in a phone interview from Anchorage.

"Mario's decision to attend Kansas was solely based on Mario. My wife and I always kicked around that we'd relocate where our son was at after she retired from the school district this spring.

"Two years ago, we thought he was going to North Carolina. We bought a house in Charlotte. He decided to visit Kansas, loved Kansas, and we're trying to sell the house in Charlotte now," he added with a laugh.

Chalmers -- he takes over for Danny Manning, who will return to his former title of director of student-athlete development -- first spoke to KU coach Bill Self about a possible job long after Mario Chalmers committed to KU, just in the past several weeks.

"It came up in conversation that my wife and I were contemplating relocating to Kansas," Chalmers said.

"We had some feelers out there, and coach Self said, ĎWe may have an opening.' It's exciting to me that it worked out. This is a great opportunity to get my foot in the door at the college level and follow my son and be part of one of the best basketball programs in the country."

Self said he was thrilled to add Chalmers, who compiled a 109-28 record at Bartlett High. Prior to that, Chalmers spent 22 years in the Air Force, living in Alaska the last 24 years.

"Through this year I have had a chance to get to know Ronnie on a personal and professional basis and have been very impressed with his knowledge and ability to work with people," Self said.

"He has a long military background and excellent basketball portfolio, and we felt he would be a great addition to our staff filling a position that was void this past year."

Manning actually had duties as director of student-athlete development for much of the past school year.

Former Jayhawk Brett Ballard also remains on the administrative staff as an administrative assistant/video coordinator.

The elder Chalmers, who also worked as a basketball coach in the Air Force, says it'll be difficult to leave Anchorage after nearly two and a half decades.

"We have mixed emotions. We've made a lot of friends, close friends," Ronnie Chalmers said. "We're not saying goodbye, we're saying, ĎSo long, see you later.'"

Ronnie Chalmers said he expected to continue to have a close relationship with his son, Kansas' future point guard.

"I think mentally it will help him, having his family close to him," Chalmers said.

"He will still have to get in the gym and work. There will be no special favors because his dad is on the coaching staff.

"I'm not a head coach any more, I'm not on the front line, but I can sit back and advise and watch my son develop, too, and that's exciting," he concluded.

Ultra Peanut
07-03-2005, 11:28 PM
I'll agree it was a wee todded rule. But the NCAA gave not one good damn about it till the big boys started getting wounded by it. However, by that time, many programs had already bled out.Okay. I have no disagreement with you there. Upon my initial reading, I actually thought you supported the rule.

ChiefsFanatic
07-04-2005, 12:24 AM

I pointed out that he was qualified for the job. Not that you need an M.B.A. to confirm that someone else made the reservations, or that someone else ordered the uniforms, or that someone else brought donuts to the coaches meeting.

WilliamTheIrish
07-04-2005, 12:00 PM
http://www.kusports.com/news/mens_basketball/story/114759

Another "package deal?": Kansas State on Friday announced the hiring of Ben Kelso as the team's new assistant coach. Kelso, 58, spent the past season as the head boys' basketball coach at Central High School in Detroit, where he coached incoming Wildcat freshman Deilvez Yearby.

He has college experience too. He was an assisitant at Central Michigan under Ray Scott and Jim Boyce.

I just hope the guy can make some inroads into Detroit High School Bball and land us some good/great players.

WilliamTheIrish
07-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Okay. I have no disagreement with you there. Upon my initial reading, I actually thought you supported the rule.

It took one season to realize how disruptive this rule was going to be. Especially when you have a coach who runs off players.

schneider221
07-04-2005, 12:11 PM
He has college experience too. He was an assisitant at Central Michigan under Ray Scott and Jim Boyce.

I just hope the guy can make some inroads into Detroit High School Bball and land us some good/great players.

He also has experience in stealing money from the school he coaches at....he really deserves to be at MU and not KSU

WilliamTheIrish
07-04-2005, 12:12 PM
He also has experience in stealing money from the school he coaches at....he really deserves to be at MU and not KSU

Really? Link me up.

Skip Towne
07-04-2005, 12:17 PM
I heard Kelso's main duty is keeping alligators out of the team swimming pool. All reports indicate he is doing a fine job. Not one single alligator has gotten into the pool.

WilliamTheIrish
07-04-2005, 12:21 PM
I heard Kelso's main duty is keeping alligators out of the team swimming pool. All reports indicate he is doing a fine job. Not one single alligator has gotten into the pool.

Chalmers' daddy is going to be the Bouncer of basketball operations at the Blue Moon Bar?

WilliamTheIrish
07-04-2005, 12:27 PM

I would wather have my jayhawks hire a high school basketball coach who has a son on the team to be on thh staff, then hire a high school basketball coach, who has been accused of stealing money from his high school, who has a former player on the team.

Schneider... I'm waiting. Link me up.

You Klown

WilliamTheIrish
07-04-2005, 01:15 PM
Okay, after a little a groundwork of my own I've found out that Kelso was indeed accused of stealing concessions and ticket money. In 2002.

http://www.detnews.com/2002/oakland/0212/19/d04-39713.htm

Kelso was then acquitted on all counts against him, the the Michigan Tenure System forced Southfield to give him back his job with back pay and then ripped Southfield a new A-hole in the process. So it seems Kelso didn't steal any money after all.

http://www.freep.com/sports/preps/kelso24e_20040824.htm

So schneidly.... you have officially reached f*ckwit status.

Not that you'd want to talk about old man Chalmers' qualifications to be the Director Of Basketball Operations.

BTW, what are his qualifications?

the Talking Can
07-04-2005, 01:39 PM

NBA quality sperm

WilliamTheIrish
07-04-2005, 01:50 PM
NBA quality sperm

ROFL

Bwaaahaaaaaa!!

redbrian
07-04-2005, 02:02 PM

Hell KU needed to replace their resident thief now that Giddens has left the scene; they just decided to hire a pro as opposed to a K-mart amature.

the Talking Can
07-04-2005, 02:06 PM
Hell KU needed to replace their resident thief now that Giddens has left the scene; they just decided to hire a pro as opposed to a K-mart amature.

he was hired by KSU.....mu fans....geesh

jspchief
07-04-2005, 02:07 PM
This is clearly a conspiracy conceived by Bush and Halliburton to drive up the price of gas.

schneider221
07-04-2005, 02:09 PM
Okay, after a little a groundwork of my own I've found out that Kelso was indeed accused of stealing concessions and ticket money. In 2002.

http://www.detnews.com/2002/oakland/0212/19/d04-39713.htm

Kelso was then acquitted on all counts against him, the the Michigan Tenure System forced Southfield to give him back his job with back pay and then ripped Southfield a new A-hole in the process. So it seems Kelso didn't steal any money after all.

http://www.freep.com/sports/preps/kelso24e_20040824.htm

So schneidly.... you have officially reached f*ckwit status.

Not that you'd want to talk about old man Chalmers' qualifications to be the Director Of Basketball Operations.

I knew that he had been cleared of all charges i just felt like giving the kstate fans a hard time..... anyways Ronnie Chalmers was a highschool basketball coach as well, he also worked as a basketball coach while in the Air Force. He was planning on moving to Lawrence with or without the job there.

This year might have some growing pains for ku fan so i gotta get my shots in on you wildcats while i can

Skip Towne
07-04-2005, 03:37 PM
I knew that he had been cleared of all charges i just felt like giving the kstate fans a hard time..... anyways Ronnie Chalmers was a highschool basketball coach as well, he also worked as a basketball coach while in the Air Force. He was planning on moving to Lawrence with or without the job there.

This year might have some growing pains for ku fan so i gotta get my shots in on you wildcats while i can

The school might not be able to prove their case but we KNOW he did it.