PDA

View Full Version : "Live 8" Artists Give of Their Time: And Get Up to $12k Worth of Freebies

Simplex3
07-05-2005, 10:14 AM
I think the author says it best:

No word yet on whether any of the leftover Hugo Boss suits and Bertolucci watches will be given to starving Africans.

More to the point, what do these boob-tastic rockers think more money will do for Africa? It will buy more guns, maybe another palace for one of the thug dictators. The one place the money WON'T go is to help the people. You want to help the poor of Africa? Buy them guns and ammo so they can fight back. Of course that doesn't mesh will with the "no guns" stance these moron "artists" have.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/7/3/100150.shtml

Sunday, July 3, 2005 9:55 a.m. EDT
'Live 8' Stars Got $12,000 Goodie Bags

Rock stars who lent their talents to Saturday's "Live 8" concert to fight poverty in Africa reportedly performed for free, but that's only if you don't count the luxurious "goodie bags" that were provided by organizers at one venue.

In Philadelphia, each celebrity performer was treated to a Hugo Boss duffel bag loaded with high-fashion trinkets valued at about $3,000, according to The Associated Press.

And that's not all.

The altruistic artists were also feted in a special luxury lounge, where they reportedly chose from an array of expensive parting gifts.

Some of the items scarfed up by the compassionate crusaders:

# Hugo Boss suits, valued between $800 and $1,000 each

# XM satellite radios and subscriptions worth $500

# Gibson guitars costing $2,000 each

# Bertolucci watches, valued between $1,500 and $6,000

In all, a poverty-fighting rock star worth his salt could walk away with as much as $12,000 hunger relief loot, the AP said.

"We want this to be a thank-you to the celebrities who are giving up their time and energies," explained Nicole Cashman, whose firm was tagged by organizers to put the pricey goodie bags together.

No word yet on whether any of the leftover Hugo Boss suits and Bertolucci watches will be given to starving Africans.

jiveturkey
07-05-2005, 10:23 AM
Who cares?

Were they supposed to say no to the goodies?

I did some "free" work for one of my buddies a couple of weeks ago and he bought me dinner. Does this make me a bad person?

Simplex3
07-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Who cares?

Were they supposed to say no to the goodies?

I did some "free" work for one of my buddies a couple of weeks ago and he bought me dinner. Does this make me a bad person?
If the free work you did for you buddy was asking people with less money than you to give up theirs then yes.

John_Wayne
07-05-2005, 10:27 AM
If the free work you did for you buddy was asking people with less money than you to give up theirs then yes. :clap:

jiveturkey
07-05-2005, 10:36 AM
If the free work you did for you buddy was asking people with less money than you to give up theirs then yes.I still don't see a reason to care.

Does the gift bag make the effort null and void? Should we ignore Africa because of this?

Keep in mind that I'm just arguing to argue. I don't see how it's possible to end hunger and poverty in that part of the world without moving everyone to another continent and leaving Africa to the animals. But if people want to give it a shot then they should feel free.

Simplex3
07-05-2005, 10:47 AM
I still don't see a reason to care.

Does the gift bag make the effort null and void? Should we ignore Africa because of this?

Keep in mind that I'm just arguing to argue. I don't see how it's possible to end hunger and poverty in that part of the world without moving everyone to another continent and leaving Africa to the animals. But if people want to give it a shot then they should feel free.
Let's analyze it for a second. Do those rock stars need $12k worth of trash and trinkets? Suits, watches, etc? I'd say the answer is a resounding "no". On the flip side, how many families in Africa could you feed for a year on $12k? Of course that argument assumes a single nickle gets past Robert Mugabe and a**holes like him.

Truth is that Zimbabwe used to feed it's own people and the people from neighboring countries. The farms were own predominately by white people. A few decades ago Mugabe sent his gunmen to "reclaim" those farms from their rightful owners, some of the farmers were murdered. Now Zimbabwe can't feed itself, much less other nations.

You want to make a difference for Africa? Whatever. But you can't do it while ignoring the elephant in the room, which is what the rock-morons are doing. Anyone sending money to Africa is putting in for a pool fund at a palace, not feeding citizens. It's disingenuous to say otherwise.

Cochise
07-05-2005, 10:49 AM
If someone ever offers me a free $2,000 guitar or $6,000 gift bag and I say no, whatever the circumstances, please kick me in the groin.

MOhillbilly
07-05-2005, 10:51 AM
Let's analyze it for a second. Do those rock stars need $12k worth of trash and trinkets? Suits, watches, etc? I'd say the answer is a resounding "no". On the flip side, how many families in Africa could you feed for a year on $12k? Of course that argument assumes a single nickle gets past Robert Mugabe and a**holes like him.

Truth is that Zimbabwe used to feed it's own people and the people from neighboring countries. The farms were own predominately by white people. A few decades ago Mugabe sent his gunmen to "reclaim" those farms from their rightful owners, some of the farmers were murdered. Now Zimbabwe can't feed itself, much less other nations.

You want to make a difference for Africa? Whatever. But you can't do it while ignoring the elephant in the room, which is what the rock-morons are doing. Anyone sending money to Africa is putting in for a pool fund at a palace, not feeding citizens. It's disingenuous to say otherwise.

F#ck em' rockstars and communists leaders go hand in hand.

jiveturkey
07-05-2005, 10:52 AM
So you're saying that the $12k can be used to feed a ton of people but you're also saying that the money will never make it to those people???

So you're mad at the Rock stars?

Simplex3
07-05-2005, 10:55 AM
So you're saying that the $12k can be used to feed a ton of people but you're also saying that the money will never make it to those people???

So you're mad at the Rock stars?
No, I couldn't give two squirts what they do. I'm just pointing out some facts for people who are actually duped into thinking these fossile-rockers and other assorted douche bags are selflessly trying to help a worthy cause. My points are:

1. It isn't selfless when you take a s**tpot of "gifts" for doing it
2. The cause is worthless in the current state of affairs

jiveturkey
07-05-2005, 10:59 AM
I've never had high expectations with regards to rock stars or movie stars and their ability to do what's right or what's smart.

I wouldn't mind getting a gift bag for participating in this conversation. :p

Simplex3
07-05-2005, 11:05 AM
I've never had high expectations with regards to rock stars or movie stars and their ability to do what's right or what's smart.

I wouldn't mind getting a gift bag for participating in this conversation. :p
Wow, so many scrotum jokes, so little time...

Duck Dog
07-05-2005, 11:05 AM
There is no doubt why its called 'Live 8' instead 'Live Aid'.

They aren't raising money for the starving, they are raising awareness of the problem so the G8 members will start to fork over more money.

Awareness? What a joke. Rock stars and Hollywood are almost as dumb as the people who fill their wallets full of money.

UKMike
07-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Of course that argument assumes a single nickle gets past Robert Mugabe and a**holes like him.

I think its abit of a myth that the whole of africa is run by ruthless dictators. There are alot of countries who would make decent use of the money.

Simplex3
07-05-2005, 11:18 AM
I think its abit of a myth that the whole of africa is run by ruthless dictators. There are alot of countries who would make decent use of the money.
...until that money exists, at which time some thug would overthrow the govt. and steal the money. Money is rarely a stabalizing influence.

Ozarks-Chiefs-Fan
07-05-2005, 11:19 AM
If the free work you did for you buddy was asking people with less money than you to give up theirs then yes.

nobody asked for any money

Simplex3
07-05-2005, 11:25 AM
nobody asked for any money
You're right, their intent is to steal much more through force of government rather than ask for willing participation. That's much better, don't you think? And they get great clothes and jewelry for doing it!

As Geldof indicated, Live 8 isn't out to raise money; its goal is to influence and persuade President Bush and other leaders of wealthy Western nations who will meet at the July G8 summit in Scotland to cancel Africa's enormous and unpayable debts, double aid for the continent, and make trade fair.

UKMike
07-05-2005, 11:26 AM
...until that money exists, at which time some thug would overthrow the govt. and steal the money. Money is rarely a stabalizing influence.

Maybe, but your making a pretty big assumption. I think everyone agrees that just giving money to the governments and leaving it at that isn't the best way. I reckon it'd be fair enough for the countries giving money to have some control over hot is is spent.

Simplex3
07-05-2005, 11:32 AM
Maybe, but your making a pretty big assumption. I think everyone agrees that just giving money to the governments and leaving it at that isn't the best way. I reckon it'd be fair enough for the countries giving money to have some control over hot is is spent.
Mugabe: "You racist. You think you Westerners know how to best help my people? You don't."'

Various Libs: "Oh, you're right, we're so sorry. Here's the original money and some more to make up for our insensitivity."

You know it's coming.

I guess my thing is this: Wait until they've fixed their problems internally and are on the rebound, THEN send them aid. You don't give money to a crack addict until AFTER they've kicked the habit. Right now unprotected sex, rampant breeding, and living under despotic dictators is a way of life and a culture for Africa. Let them sort that out first.

jspchief
07-05-2005, 11:42 AM
I guess my thing is this: Wait until they've fixed their problems internally and are on the rebound, THEN send them aid. You don't give money to a crack addict until AFTER they've kicked the habit. Right now unprotected sex, rampant breeding, and living under despotic dictators is a way of life and a culture for Africa. Let them sort that out first.

I pretty much agree with this. Right now, they are basically rewarding the country for being in complete disarray. Where's the incentive to require Africans to make their country better for themselves?

The idea that they want to do it with my tax money makes it that much more infuriating.

Ari Chi3fs
07-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Someone put Simplex out of his misery... he is pissed off all the time. Its time to go to the vet, and get put down.

Sorry boy. Well miss you.

Simplex3
07-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Someone put Simplex out of his misery... he is pissed off all the time. Its time to go to the vet, and get put down.

Sorry boy. Well miss you.
ROFL

I don't get worked up over it, I just like to point out the facts. The obvious, mamby-pampy, touchy-feely stuff gets plenty of discussion by plenty of people. I prefer the thought provoking stuff, which sometimes ends up calling out a group of people or a belief system. Constant communal circle jerks (like Chiefs Coalition) are boring.

Now that isn't to say I NEVER get worked up, but I usually get over it pretty quick.

Besides, my family is the biggest part of my life and my greatest source of joy. Anybody want to hear about my kids all the time? Probably not.

UKMike
07-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Mugabe: "You racist. You think you Westerners know how to best help my people? You don't."'

Maybe, but if that happens just forget zimbabwe and whoever else refusees help for the time being and concentrate on others.

Simplex3
07-05-2005, 12:03 PM
Maybe, but if that happens just forget zimbabwe and whoever else refusees help for the time being and concentrate on others.
I'm cool with that to a degree. I really think they need to show they're on the rebound FIRST, then get money. Guys like Mugabe can't reform without losing their power, so we would lose less money. If Mugabe decided to invade some neighbor that we were giving money to you would be able to raise enough international interest to get something done about it.

Chris Meck
07-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Ummn, I think some of you guys are off track.

first of all, this wasn't so much a 'give money to Africa' concert; it's intention was to get the G8 leaders to relieve 3rd world debt in an attempt to help the 'Zimbabwe's' of the world get on their feet. As I understand it, the funds raised by the concerts will go towards furthering that end, i.e. a world wide advertising campaign, etc.

So coming down on the rock stars for being rockstars is maybe a tad out of line. Most of those 'freebies' were donated anyway. Gibson donates some guitars, writes it off on the company 'not for profit' charity line and takes a tax break. Nothing to see here.

It's very true that HIV is rampant in Africa, and that the main cause of that is unprotected sex.It's true that there is an overpopulation problem. However, a lot of the 'faith based' programs won't provide simple an answer as condoms and sex education due to 'moral concerns'.

Many of the governments in Africa are chaotic and corrupt; just giving money ain't gonna help, that's true, too. There are a lot of things the G8 can do to help, and it's been promised; they just aren't getting on the stick. That's the whole point of the concerts.

Chris

Simplex3
07-05-2005, 01:32 PM
There are a lot of things the G8 can do to help, and it's been promised; they just aren't getting on the stick. That's the whole point of the concerts.
The G8 can't do anything to help until the corruption is gone. If you forgive the loans you're only making those corrupt govts richer, which further tightens their grip on their country.

Of course asking the G8 nations to forgive that debt and send aid is asking various govts. to forcibly take money from their citizens and send it to citizens who aren't taking care of themselves.

A good long term solution, which will suck for those living there now, is to simply cut off all aid and stop all trade. Millions of people would die, but the end result would be a complete meltdown of their systems. After that total meltdown you will see the industrious people in those countries stand up and take charge to correct the ship. Once they've decided to help themselves you can help them.

Taco John
07-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Baby Jesus cries at stupid threads like this.

Taco John
07-05-2005, 01:38 PM
The G8 can't do anything to help until the corruption is gone. If you forgive the loans you're only making those corrupt govts richer, which further tightens their grip on their country.

Of course asking the G8 nations to forgive that debt and send aid is asking various govts. to forcibly take money from their citizens and send it to citizens who aren't taking care of themselves.

A good long term solution, which will suck for those living there now, is to simply cut off all aid and stop all trade. Millions of people would die, but the end result would be a complete meltdown of their systems. After that total meltdown you will see the industrious people in those countries stand up and take charge to correct the ship. Once they've decided to help themselves you can help them.

Your idea is excellent.. Plus let's et's set up a diamonds for food program.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

/moron

Simplex3
07-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Baby Jesus cries at stupid threads like this.
Man, I was hoping to elicit yet another "I'm leaving for good" fit. I'll just have to try harder next time.

jiveturkey
07-05-2005, 01:39 PM
A good long term solution, which will suck for those living there now, is to simply cut off all aid and stop all trade. Millions of people would die, but the end result would be a complete meltdown of their systems. After that total meltdown you will see the industrious people in those countries stand up and take charge to correct the ship. Once they've decided to help themselves you can help them.Properly used propaganda could lead to wide spread terrorism from nations that fell from your plan.

ck_IN
07-05-2005, 01:44 PM
<i>first of all, this wasn't so much a 'give money to Africa' concert; it's intention was to get the G8 leaders to relieve 3rd world debt in an attempt to help the 'Zimbabwe's' of the world get on their feet. As I understand it, the funds raised by the concerts will go towards furthering that end, i.e. a world wide advertising campaign, etc.

Many of the governments in Africa are chaotic and corrupt; just giving money ain't gonna help, that's true, too. There are a lot of things the G8 can do to help, and it's been promised; they just aren't getting on the stick. That's the whole point of the concerts.</i>

Funny you should mention Zimbabwe. I believe it is that country that just did a massive land grab from the white Dutch settlers who had farmed that land for ages and made it quite productive. Said land was divided up and given to black farmers. Now guess what the country is facing a famine.

Isn't forgiving their debt in effect giving these corrupt governments money? These countries setup these lines of credit knowing full well they couldn't pay them. They built themselves palaces, funded wars against their own people or simply lined their pockets all the while their people starved or died of disease. Now they're crying because bills are coming due? Sorry my give a damm's busted.

ck_IN
07-05-2005, 01:48 PM
As for the 'stars', of course they got goodie bags. These people always seem to support causes where they preach at the rest of us about what we should do. Meanwhile they ride in their limos, eat their caviar or whatever. It's always do as I say not as I do.

My general rule of thumb is to see what position Hillary, Ted Kennedy or (insert celebrity name here) is taking on a given issue. Then I take the exact opposite position. Almost always that puts me on the right side of the fence.

jspchief
07-05-2005, 01:52 PM
So coming down on the rock stars for being rockstars is maybe a tad out of line. Most of those 'freebies' were donated anyway. Gibson donates some guitars, writes it off on the company 'not for profit' charity line and takes a tax break. Nothing to see here.

So what if it was donated? It was donated to rich people instead of the poor starving Africans that they want to use my tax money to save. Couldn't they have taken every item that they gave away, and sold it instead, giving 100% of the money to charity?

MOhillbilly
07-05-2005, 01:55 PM
Africa = commies in the south & crazy muslims in the north.

Chiefnj
07-05-2005, 01:58 PM
So what if it was donated? It was donated to rich people instead of the poor starving Africans that they want to use my tax money to save. Couldn't they have taken every item that they gave away, and sold it instead, giving 100% of the money to charity?

How do you know the artists didn't give the items away or auction them, etc.?

Simplex3
07-05-2005, 02:01 PM
How do you know the artists didn't give the items away or auction them, etc.?
The same way you can know that a purple bunny didn't crawl out of your ass while you were asleep last night.

jspchief
07-05-2005, 02:03 PM
How do you know the artists didn't give the items away or auction them, etc.?I don't. But that has nothing to do with an event that's supposed to be charitable giving away extravagant gifts.

If you can show me that all the artists gave these items away to charity, and that it was part of the plan, then I'll applaud it.

Until then, it reeks of opulence under the pretense of charity.

HC_Chief
07-05-2005, 02:09 PM
"Live 8" was comprised, for the most part, of a bunch of pampered, pompous, arrogant, assinine, ignorant assholes. The fact that they were lavished with high-dollar "gifts" does not surprise me... nor would it surprise me to find many of the "artists" refusal to participate unless they received said "goodies".

jidar1
07-05-2005, 02:24 PM
What's with the fascination on tearing down celebreties?

The bottom line is they have the ability to try to help people by performing at music concerts, if they choose to do so I can see no reason to hold something like that against someone.

As for the ignorant argument of them having more money than you so they should be giving their up.. what are you a communist? How about they give up the same total percentage of their income to africa that you give up from yours? Oh wait, you don't give a damned thing do you? Crap.

Duck Dog
07-05-2005, 02:39 PM

It's because their ideas always suck. And the only people who pay attention them are as brain dead as the celebs themselves...maybe more.

BTW, did Bono give another 'Feed the starving children' speech from his 50mil dollar mansion?

Ozarks-Chiefs-Fan
07-05-2005, 02:39 PM

how can you say millions of people dying when they don't have to is a "good" long term solution?

MOhillbilly
07-05-2005, 02:41 PM

The bottom line is they have the ability to try to help people by performing at music concerts, if they choose to do so I can see no reason to hold something like that against someone.

As for the ignorant argument of them having more money than you so they should be giving their up.. what are you a communist? How about they give up the same total percentage of their income to africa that you give up from yours? Oh wait, you don't give a damned thing do you? Crap.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAA CLOWN!!!!!!!!

jspchief
07-05-2005, 02:53 PM

As for the ignorant argument of them having more money than you so they should be giving their up.. what are you a communist? How about they give up the same total percentage of their income to africa that you give up from yours? Oh wait, you don't give a damned thing do you? Crap.Communist? Oh, the irony.

Chiefnj
07-05-2005, 02:54 PM
It's because their ideas always suck. And the only people who pay attention them are as brain dead as the celebs themselves...maybe more.

Does that include everyone who ever voted for Reagan?

Simplex3
07-05-2005, 03:20 PM
First, you have no evidence that any of those artists has given jack crap. Second, every American citizen who pays taxes is giving to Africa whether they like it or not. Third, all the charitable donations I make every year go to charities to benefit US war veterans. I'd rather thank them for having done something than give money to a bunch of people doing nothing but lying down and taking it.

Simplex3
07-05-2005, 03:21 PM
how can you say millions of people dying when they don't have to is a "good" long term solution?
I was being pragmatic to a fault, only considering the good of their nations and ignoring the people. Breaking some eggs to make an omlette so to speak.

ck_IN
07-05-2005, 03:45 PM
<i>Does that include everyone who ever voted for Reagan?</i>

Wow, talk about brain dead statements. :rolleyes:

Reagan's message was all about helping yourself, lifting yourself up and making the most of yourself. Basicly the opposite that everything Live 8 and its ilk are all about.

ChiefsFanInIndy
07-05-2005, 03:49 PM

No one was asking for money in the LIve 8 show. In fact they had banners across the stages saying, "We are not asking for your money, we are asking for your word."

They were asking the world to petition their appropriate leaders to do right by Africa at the G 8 conference this week.

It was not a fund raising event.

Simplex3
07-05-2005, 03:58 PM
No one was asking for money in the LIve 8 show. In fact they had banners across the stages saying, "We are not asking for your money, we are asking for your word."

They were asking the world to petition their appropriate leaders to do right by Africa at the G 8 conference this week.

And where, exactly, do you think these world leaders are going to get this money from?

FloridaChief
07-05-2005, 04:04 PM
Pink Floyd's Profits Plea

Live 8 stars Pink Floyd have urged all bands who played the super-gig to donate their profits to charity.

The veteran rockers have seen their album sales rocket by an astonishing 1,300% since Saturday - but they don't want a penny of it.

Guitarist Dave Gilmour said he does not want to profit from the show - and any extra cash should be given away.

"Though the main objective has been to raise consciousness and put pressure on the G8 leaders, I will not profit from the concert," he said in a statement.

"If on Thursday the G8 leaders tick the right three boxes at Gleneagles then the main objective will have been fulfilled.

"If other artists feel like donating their extra royalties to charity, perhaps then the record companies could be persuaded to make a similar gesture and that would be a bonus.

"This is money that should be used to save lives."

The legendary band reformed especially for the gig after more than 20 years of hostility.

Sales of Echoes: The Best Of Pink Floyd are up 1,343% at HMV.

Gilmour is no stranger to charity. In 2003 he sold his London home for 3m and gave all the money to a project for the homeless.

Every act who played at Hyde Park on Saturday received a sales boost - except for the shambolic Pete Doherty.

The Live 8 coverage, which also included performances by Madonna, U2 and Robbie Williams, was watched by a peak of 9.6 million viewers on BBC1.

Link (http://www.sky.com/showbiz/article/0,,50001-1188023,00.html)

Taco John
07-05-2005, 04:08 PM
Man, I was hoping to elicit yet another "I'm leaving for good" fit. I'll just have to try harder next time.

You don't have what it takes.

Simplex3
07-05-2005, 04:10 PM
Pink Floyd's Profits Plea

Live 8 stars Pink Floyd have urged all bands who played the super-gig to donate their profits to charity.

The veteran rockers have seen their album sales rocket by an astonishing 1,300% since Saturday - but they don't want a penny of it.

Guitarist Dave Gilmour said he does not want to profit from the show - and any extra cash should be given away.

Gilmour is no stranger to charity. In 2003 he sold his London home for 3m and gave all the money to a project for the homeless.
Good for him/them. Now stop forcing the rest of us to give under penalty of jail.

Simplex3
07-05-2005, 04:11 PM
You don't have what it takes.
I'll find Otter.

Duck Dog
07-05-2005, 04:48 PM
<i>Does that include everyone who ever voted for Reagan?</i>

Wow, talk about brain dead statements. :rolleyes:

Reagan's message was all about helping yourself, lifting yourself up and making the most of yourself. Basicly the opposite that everything Live 8 and its ilk are all about.

Thank you. Your response is much better than what was running through my mind at the time.

Duck Dog
07-05-2005, 04:51 PM

Of course it wasn't a fund raising event. The artists want the tax payers to foot the bill. If the rockers were serious about this, they'd pony up their own damn money (like Dave Gilmour did) and stop asking for mine.

WolfDawg
07-05-2005, 06:07 PM
[QUOTE=jiveturkey]

[QUOTE]

No, we should ignore Arica because it is a flaming disease ridden crap hole that nothing good comes out of.

Besides we have homeless here in our country that should be taken care of first.

Rausch
07-05-2005, 06:14 PM
Everything about the Floyd kicks azz. I can't say I agree but it's a noble gesture. Good for them.

We aren't going to "fix" Africa anymore than we can fix any of the slums we have here, but we can educate people and help them to get the **** out of that $#ithole...

jspchief
07-05-2005, 07:25 PM

It was not a fund raising event.IMO, that's even worse than just having an old-fashioned fund raiser.

They'll con our governments into making the contribution for us.

And don't bother with "we're not paying anything, we're just erasing debt". It's the same damn thing. If we aren't making them pay back their debt, we are in essence giving them an amount equal to what they owe us. Money that could have been used for other government purposes, but now will require more of my tax money.

Deberg_1990
07-05-2005, 08:30 PM
How come nobody ever donates condums and birth control to Africans??