PDA

View Full Version : New Music that Rocks your World...

Ari Chi3fs
07-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Im listening to some new Daft Punk, that is incredible, even though i typically dont enjoy techno per'se...

I have been listening to some bluegrass lately also... this Iron Horse band did a bunch of Metallica songs bluegrass style, called "Fade to Bluegrass" great shit, surprisingly enough.

so what relatively new music / bands are you listening to, that we might enjoy?

Marco Polo
07-05-2005, 12:17 PM
I know each are not new bands, but I really enjoy Coldplay's and Moby's new CDs. Moby has a 2nd disc off his CD that is really amazing; it's all instrumental that can blow you away.

tyton75
07-05-2005, 12:19 PM
I like that Daft Punk CD too.. and I have never really gotten into techno... although I can only stand it in small doses

Ari Chi3fs
07-05-2005, 01:05 PM
I like that Daft Punk CD too.. and I have never really gotten into techno... although I can only stand it in small doses

yeah, unfortunately, there isnt nearly enough cowbell...

Death Nebula
07-05-2005, 01:08 PM
The new Hot Hot Heat is incredible...not a bad song on it...in my car changer....the new white stripes..the new foo fighters....the latest Jack Johnson...the new coldplay....and an old Todd Rundgren CD....can't go wrong with anything I've mentioned...

Reaper16
07-05-2005, 01:12 PM
Well, if anyone enjoys metal, then I'm a veritable encyclopedia of the genre.
As far as new music, I'm enjoying the Nevermore - "This Godless Endeavor," Pelican - "The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw," and Behemoth - "Demigod." (Demigod came out in Janurary, the other albums aren't offcially released until late July. Advance copies rule.)

Ari Chi3fs
07-05-2005, 01:12 PM
Ive never listened to Hot Hot Heat before... but with a name like Death Nebula, I got to trust you... I found a couple torrents and will let you know what I think.

I love the Foo Fighters, but I still undecided with the new album... the slow album kinda sucks... and the other album is about a B- so far... :hmmm:

Ill check out the new white stripes also. thanks again.

gblowfish
07-05-2005, 01:14 PM
Paul Thorn. Great music, used to be a fighter, fought Roberto Duran once. He's coming to Knuckleheads in KC later in July.
http://www.paulthorn.com/

the Talking Can
07-05-2005, 01:18 PM
The new Sleater-Kinney album...all girl punk band from Washington on the KillRockStars label...imagine PJ Harvey hooking up with the Ramones...their best album is Call The Doctor...this new one is heavier, but still kick ass.

arrowhead20
07-05-2005, 02:01 PM
stereophonics, the bravery, hot hot heat, coldplay, foo fighters, the doves, beck, oasis,
they all are rockin', foo fighters takes some getting used to but is well worth it

NewChief
07-05-2005, 02:04 PM
Let's see:

The new White Stripes
The new John Prine
The new Common album

I also picked up two new anthologies of old music:
"No Thanks" 4 Albums of 70s Punk rock
"Left of the Dial" 4 Albums of 80s indie music

Finally, anyone who likes hiphop should check out this mix by Saul Williams of Slam fame. Cool stuff. Some of the tracks are wicked.
http://www.catchdubs.com/mp3/saulwilliams.zip

Ari Chi3fs
07-05-2005, 02:43 PM
You know, I have been listening to a ton of podcasts lately, with the new iTunes podcast feature... ****ing spot on. Great shit, and tons of different genres.

I think Podcasts will change the way we listen to things...

Ultra Peanut
07-05-2005, 04:08 PM
Jamiroquai's new album, Dynamite, kicks ass, especially stuff like Black Devil Car, Give Hate a Chance, and Feels Just Like It Should.

Ive never listened to Hot Hot Heat before... but with a name like Death Nebula, I got to trust you... I found a couple torrents and will let you know what I think.The newest one's Elevator, but check out Make Up the Breakdown, too. I'd actually say it's better if that weren't such an "Oh, they were so much better before they made it big" sort of cliche.

My favorite stuff on Elevator: Shame on You, You Owe Me an IOU, Island of the Honest Man, Ladies and Gentlemen
My favorite stuff on MUtB: Bandages, Oh, Goddamnit, No, Not Now, Save Us S.O.S.; pretty much everything, really

Ultra Peanut
07-05-2005, 04:13 PM
The new Common albumThat one's good.

Ari Chi3fs
07-05-2005, 04:34 PM
Jamiroquai's new album, Dynamite, kicks ass, especially stuff like Black Devil Car, Give Hate a Chance, and Feels Just Like It Should.

The newest one's Elevator, but check out Make Up the Breakdown, too. I'd actually say it's better if that weren't such an "Oh, they were so much better before they made it big" sort of cliche.

My favorite stuff on Elevator: Shame on You, You Owe Me an IOU, Island of the Honest Man, Ladies and Gentlemen
My favorite stuff on MUtB: Bandages, Oh, Goddamnit, No, Not Now, Save Us S.O.S.; pretty much everything, really

hey, thanks Rashaan. I Appresheateit.

Ultra Peanut
07-05-2005, 04:35 PM
Who's appre, and what did she eat?

JimNasium
07-05-2005, 04:41 PM
The Black Keys - Rubber Factory

Carlota69
07-05-2005, 04:47 PM
There is a lot of goodies out there if you dig rock...

The new Disturbed is awesome and heavy.
Dark New day is another group worth checking out.
I really like No Address--When I'm Gone (Sadie) is huge for us here in Vegas...
I really dig the new Incubus "Make a Move" from the Stealth soundtrack
And I suggest checking out a band called Porcupine Tree--sort of a modern King Crimson/Pink Floyd kind of jam band...

Reaper16
07-05-2005, 08:53 PM
^^^ Porcupine Tree are awesome! Yay, for modern prog-rock!

theultimatekcchiefsfan
07-05-2005, 11:59 PM
Keith Andersen. Wildflowers.

Miles
07-06-2005, 01:29 AM
Been listening to Muse - Absolution and the new Coldplay album quite a lot lately.

Ultra Peanut
07-06-2005, 01:34 AM
If these were bands, I'd give them a listen:

General Incoherency
Castoff Potatoes
Fearsome Yeti Police
Leopard Sex
Ludicrous Hair
Peachy Condensation
Tacos for Supper

I've got tons of zawesome band names, even though I don't have any musical talent or training whatsoever. Those aren't even the good ones.

Rausch
07-06-2005, 02:41 AM
If these were bands, I'd give them a listen:

General Incoherency
Castoff Potatoes
Fearsome Yeti Police
Leopard Sex
Ludicrous Hair
Peachy Condensation
Tacos for Supper

I've got tons of zawesome band names, even though I don't have any musical talent or training whatsoever. Those aren't even the good ones.

Me and my friends always talked about starting a band called "My Opossum's Penis."

I wrote some pretty fearsome lyrics and we had a decent drummer and kick arse guitarist, but not a damned one of us could carry a tune with a flatbed truck... :(

Count Alex's Losses
07-06-2005, 02:46 AM
New music sucks in it's entirety.

Ultra Peanut
07-06-2005, 04:16 AM
Me and my friends always talked about starting a band called "My Opossum's Penis." The only Opossum on my list is "Opossum Valhalla," and I sort of ganked that one from the intraweb.

|Zach|
07-06-2005, 04:42 AM
Red House Painters
Mae
Interpol - There is nothing new with Interpol but I am coming around to liking them.
Mos Def
The new Queens Of The Stone Age

I am running into all kinds of good stuff it seems.

htismaqe
07-06-2005, 06:46 AM
I'm doing the nostalgia thing right now. Yesterday I acquired the digitally re-mastered Motorhead "Ace of Spades".

laser1972
07-06-2005, 07:07 AM
Try Kevin Martin and the Hiwatts. He used to be the lead singer of Candlebox a few years ago, but this album is very Candlebox and more..

I have listened to the whole thing non-stop for 2 weeks and for some reason Candlebox's last album back in 98 i believe :Happy Pills: didn't get the attention it deserved...

Have a listen, both are great!

Swanman
07-06-2005, 07:54 AM
There is a lot of goodies out there if you dig rock...

The new Disturbed is awesome and heavy.
Dark New day is another group worth checking out.
I really like No Address--When I'm Gone (Sadie) is huge for us here in Vegas...
I really dig the new Incubus "Make a Move" from the Stealth soundtrack
And I suggest checking out a band called Porcupine Tree--sort of a modern King Crimson/Pink Floyd kind of jam band...

I heard the new Disturbed single last week and was very pleasantly surprised.

Dark New Day's song "Brother" is a great song. They're a super-group of sorts, being made up of former members from Sevendust, Creed, Stereomud, Skrape and Doubledrive. I was sad when Clint Lowery left Sevendust but when I heard Dark New Day it made me feel better about him leaving.

The new Dream Theater album is excellent. It's very progressive/artistic, but it's also fairly accessible to those who may not be prog rock fanatics.

I got XM Radio last year and have just been blown away by the amount of new stuff I hear on a daily basis on their hard rock channel, Squizz. They usually get new stuff months before commercial radio starts playing it.

I'll be out in Vegas in a couple weeks and I'm looking forward to hearing 107.5 again. It's one of the better rock stations I've heard around the nation.

ZootedGranny
07-06-2005, 08:05 AM
Since Daft Punk was mentioned, here's something for you Ali Chi3fs...the track that Daft Punk completely jacked for their song "Robot Rock." I like Daft Punk, but the original kicks its ass all over the floor.

s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2ZSOZL8ZYF3I21905DZSC5W9ZA

The newest album that has really grabbed my attention is the latest Quasimoto album.

http://image.com.com/mp3/images/cover/200/drg600/g671/g67145wcl02.jpg

The last track I've put on repeat is Three Six Mafia's "Stay Fly." I really wish they'd drop a group album this summer, but it looks like it'll be ready for the fall, perfect timing to blast ignorance out of a car while driving through Arrowhead's parking lot.

Dr. Facebook Fever
07-06-2005, 08:15 AM
Better Than Ezra and Collective Soul

Sparhawk
07-06-2005, 08:15 AM
I think along the same lines as Gochiefs. I have a hard time with punk or the newer styles of rock. Can't stand country either. I do however like the newer stuff by Johnny Winter though it's blues.

BigMeatballDave
07-06-2005, 11:10 AM
My current favorite song, I guess, is No Surprise by Theory of a Dead Man. Disturbed's new tune, Guarded is pretty good...

the Talking Can
07-06-2005, 12:59 PM
New music sucks in it's entirety.

you know as much about music as you do sex....

Reaper16
07-06-2005, 01:00 PM
I'm doing the nostalgia thing right now. Yesterday I acquired the digitally re-mastered Motorhead "Ace of Spades".

Lemmy = God

NewChief
09-23-2005, 09:35 AM
Time to bump for a band I've been listening to lately.

Bishop Allen

They've actually been around since 2003, but I just discovered their album Charm School. It's freaking awesome. If you like eclectic multi-instrument bands in the vein of Modest Mouse, check this band out.

htismaqe
09-23-2005, 09:44 AM
I've been listening to Fallout Boy for the last week...

bgguitarman
09-23-2005, 09:53 AM
Houston Calls
NEW Coheed and Cambria
Day at the Fair
Against Me!
An Angle
The Juliana Theory
Jack's Mannequin

Predarat
09-23-2005, 09:55 AM
That new nine inch nails song kicks ass. I think it is called there is no you or there is only me.

CosmicPal
09-23-2005, 10:09 AM
I have been listening to some bluegrass lately also... this Iron Horse band did a bunch of Metallica songs bluegrass style, called "Fade to Bluegrass" great shit, surprisingly enough.

Is that part of the "Pickin' On..." series? I've heard a few of these "Pickin' On..." series where bluegrass bands do other band's music. For instance, Pickin' On the Eagles is very good, but that shouldn't be surprising since Eagles music would be a good fit for bluegrass.

Surprisingly though, bluegrass tributes on U2 and Led Zeppelin are pretty good- weird at first, but given a few listeninings and you might really enjoy them. Pickin' on REM and Pickin' on Widespread Panic are both pretty good as well.

However, and this shouldn't come as a surprise, but the Pickin' on Pink Floyd is awful. Pink Floyd just isn't going to pull if off in bluegrass.

If anyone likes blues, and I know some peeps do- you MUST check out a band from Florida called, MOFRO- the absolute best new music out there today.

NewChief
09-23-2005, 10:15 AM
Is that part of the "Pickin' On..." series? I've heard a few of these "Pickin' On..." series where bluegrass bands do other band's music. For instance, Pickin' On the Eagles is very good, but that shouldn't be surprising since Eagles music would be a good fit for bluegrass.

Surprisingly though, bluegrass tributes on U2 and Led Zeppelin are pretty good- weird at first, but given a few listeninings and you might really enjoy them. Pickin' on REM and Pickin' on Widespread Panic are both pretty good as well.

However, and this shouldn't come as a surprise, but the Pickin' on Pink Floyd is awful. Pink Floyd just isn't going to pull if off in bluegrass.

If anyone likes blues, and I know some peeps do- you MUST check out a band from Florida called, MOFRO- the absolute best new music out there today.

Cosmic:

Going to see Dark Star Orchestra and the remains of Leftover Salmon tomorrow night for a friend's Bachelor party. I haven't been to a jamband show in quite some time, but I'm actually looking forward to it. Old friends from the scene getting together. Should be good times.

gblowfish
09-23-2005, 10:19 AM
Stuff I've been into lately:
Badorf & Rodney: Acoustic Stones Covers
Paul Thorn: Mission Temple Fireworks Stand
Grand Funk Railroad Greatest Hits
Wilson Pickett's Greatest Hits
Jack Mack & Heart Attack: Cardiac Party
Alejandro Escovedo (various albums)

Check out Radio Blowfish on Live 365: It's free!
http://www.live365.com/stations/gblowfish

Cochise
09-23-2005, 10:22 AM
Coldplay is latin for 'trying to look cool' ROFL

I have heard a lot of people say they are listening to this fallout boy record... maybe I will have to check it out.

NewChief
09-23-2005, 10:27 AM
Coldplay is latin for 'trying to look cool' ROFL

I have heard a lot of people say they are listening to this fallout boy record... maybe I will have to check it out.

It's good. Unfortunately my students think it's good, too. Therefore, I'm obliged to decide that it sucks. After hearing one too many preppy girls gush, "Oh my gosh! Fallout Boy is like...so awesome. For real!", I can't really stomach the music any more.

htismaqe
09-23-2005, 10:33 AM
It's good. Unfortunately my students think it's good, too. Therefore, I'm obliged to decide that it sucks. After hearing one too many preppy girls gush, "Oh my gosh! Fallout Boy is like...so awesome. For real!", I can't really stomach the music any more.

ROFL

Invariably that will happen.

It's a VERY good record.

Radar Chief
09-23-2005, 10:33 AM

:LOL:
At least Nine Inch Nails is out with a new one, doubt your students would care much for Trent Reznor’s self-loathing, so things are look’n up. ;)

CosmicPal
09-23-2005, 11:15 AM
Cosmic:

Going to see Dark Star Orchestra and the remains of Leftover Salmon tomorrow night for a friend's Bachelor party. I haven't been to a jamband show in quite some time, but I'm actually looking forward to it. Old friends from the scene getting together. Should be good times.

Nice!

If you've never seen DSO before, they are outstanding. They will actually play an actual Dead show from start to finish. i.e. They might play the entire show from 09.21.76 at the Meadowlands or 7.4.90 at Sandstone or whatever show the Dead performed in their historic concert series.

Leftover is one of the best live bands around....

That is one hell of a bachelor party! I'd love to be there!

Have fun, gawd knows you will

NewChief
09-23-2005, 11:21 AM
Nice!

If you've never seen DSO before, they are outstanding. They will actually play an actual Dead show from start to finish. i.e. They might play the entire show from 09.21.76 at the Meadowlands or 7.4.90 at Sandstone or whatever show the Dead performed in their historic concert series.

Yeah, one of my best friends is their tour/road manager. He's been traveling with them for about 3 years now. Another good friend of my wife's runs their lights.

Leftover is one of the best live bands around....

Yup, they're a lot of fun. We used to party with them a lot, too. Not sure that they party quite as much since Mark's death, but they used to be freaking wild. Their song "Fayetteville Line" was inspired by their times here in Fayetteville.

Reaper16
09-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Pelican - "The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw" is an amazing pice of art, and more post-rock influenced than the doom metal of thier previous effort, "Australasia." Not that anyone here has heard of Pelican, but just sayin'. I saw them in Lawrence last month, and there were maybe 12 people in the audience, and only 2 besides myself knew any song titles.
They're an all instrumental metal/post-rock band from Illinois that, despite indie rock's natural disgust for metal's superior songcraft and brilliance, have started to take to Pelican. I wouldn;t be surprised to see them be hyped up by all the indie mags by thier next album.

Reaper16
09-23-2005, 11:52 AM
Oh, and Opeth - "Ghost Reveries" is the album of the year, bar none. Nothing released this year has come close to the scope and majesty of Opeth's 1st release on a big US record label, (Roadrunner) their 8th album overall.
Opeth play a unique brand of music that equally combines 70's prog rock of King Crimson and Camel with death metal. At all times heavy and brutal, yet tear-inducingly beautiful, Opeth have elevated thier songwriting and prog influence on the new album to heights unparalleled in music today. For the first time, Mike sings more than he utters death metal growls, and that singing has never been better on an Opeth record. I can't say enough about this album. It's mandatory listening for anyone who likes prog-rock or metal, and has no issues with songs that may run into the 13 minute range. (You won't notice, the songwriting is that good.) Mandatory listening from the best band in the world.

Another album to listen to, downloaded becasue you won't find this in a store, is "Atavism" by San Fransisco's own The Lord Weird Slough Feg, or just Slough Feg for short. Celtic influenced, doomy power metal that sounds like Iron Maiden with a gruffness of old European warriors in the guitar tone and vocalist's voice. Almost the oppisite of Opeth in that thier songs may run very short, under 3 minutes at times, becasue the writing is so very tight. Each song has what it needs, no filler. What is included represents the best of what the metal genre can deliver to all audiences. No death/black metal vox, just a great, low-ish and harmonized vocal delivery over harmonized guitars and solid drums holding the beat down. I tried, and can't think of a better rock or metal band in America right now.