PDA

View Full Version : Invalid Ip address on wireless adaptor

Lzen
07-05-2005, 07:16 PM
Trying to setup a Dlink wireless router DI 514 with a Dlink DWL - G510 wireless adaptor. The OS is XP but, it was an upgrade from Millenium Edition, not a fresh install. Anyway, the wireless adaptor keeps trying to acquire a network address to no avail. Any suggestions?

Lzen
07-05-2005, 07:17 PM
One more thing. Under connection status, it says invalid IP address. ???

WolfDawg
07-05-2005, 07:32 PM
One more thing. Under connection status, it says invalid IP address. ???

have you logged into the router and done the setup? try going to http://192.168.0.1

Lzen
07-05-2005, 07:50 PM
yep, done that. I manually entered the IP address settings under TCP/IP protocol. Says I have a connection now but still no internet.

WolfDawg
07-05-2005, 08:28 PM
yep, done that. I manually entered the IP address settings under TCP/IP protocol. Says I have a connection now but still no internet.

No internet on the machine hooked to the router, or on another machine that is trying to access the network

Saulbadguy
07-05-2005, 09:02 PM
If you can get to your router, but not the internet, something is fishy.

WolfDawg
07-05-2005, 09:05 PM
If you can get to your router, but not the internet, something is fishy.

Me thinks his router is not configured correctly maybe his WEP settings?

Phobia
07-05-2005, 09:42 PM
Sorry, I only support used Linksys devices. Heh.

Count Alex's Wins
07-05-2005, 10:01 PM
Definitely sounds like what was happening to me with my WEP keys/settings.

Lzen
07-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Heh, this isn't my setup. It's my in laws. I already had my bad experience with a Dlink router. Actually though, I've come to the conclusion that it's not the Dlink router or Dlink adaptor. We are formatting and installing a complete XP.

Lzen
07-05-2005, 10:25 PM
And I wasn't even setting up the WEP yet. Was just trying to get the link. Brother in law was over here the other day and he hooked up this same adaptor to his PC and got hooked up to the wireless network with no problem.

htismaqe
07-06-2005, 06:30 AM
Me thinks his router is not configured correctly maybe his WEP settings?

Nope. Bad WEP settings equals no wireless connection.

Sounds to me like DHCP isn't setup correctly.

Lzen
07-06-2005, 08:14 AM
It had something to do with the PC, since it was an upgrade to XP from (ewww) Millenium Edition. After I installed a full version of XP last night, I hooked up to the wireless network with no problems.

htismaqe
07-06-2005, 08:48 AM
It had something to do with the PC, since it was an upgrade to XP from (ewww) Millenium Edition. After I installed a full version of XP last night, I hooked up to the wireless network with no problems.

It was probably the TCP/IP stack. Like I said before, it sounded like DHCP wasn't working.

Lzen
07-06-2005, 09:13 AM
It was probably the TCP/IP stack. Like I said before, it sounded like DHCP wasn't working.

Actually, I tried that route, as well. I went into the TCP/IP settings and manually entered an IP address. After that, it showed that it was connected. Yet I still had no internet connection. I did nothing to the router settings between then and doing a complete wipe and install of the full version of XP. As soon as XP was finished installing, I ran the wireless adaptor software, shutdown to install the wireless adaptor, and then rebooted and finished installing the adaptor. It detected and linked up to the wireless network(and internet connection) with no problems.

htismaqe
07-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Actually, I tried that route, as well. I went into the TCP/IP settings and manually entered an IP address. After that, it showed that it was connected. Yet I still had no internet connection. I did nothing to the router settings between then and doing a complete wipe and install of the full version of XP. As soon as XP was finished installing, I ran the wireless adaptor software, shutdown to install the wireless adaptor, and then rebooted and finished installing the adaptor. It detected and linked up to the wireless network(and internet connection) with no problems.

Did you use wireless with the machine when it was running ME? If so, maybe XP preserved the older wireless driver?

Lzen
07-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Did you use wireless with the machine when it was running ME? If so, maybe XP preserved the older wireless driver?

No. He had this computer for about 3 years or so. It came with ME but soon after, XP was released. At the time, XP was $300 but the upgrade from ME to XP was only $100. So, you can see the reasoning. But that was his only PC until just the other day when he bought a new one. The old PC is going downstairs for the grandkids to use. The wireless thing is a first time deal in his house.

Kerberos
07-07-2005, 10:03 PM
No. He had this computer for about 3 years or so. It came with ME but soon after, XP was released. At the time, XP was $300 but the upgrade from ME to XP was only $100. So, you can see the reasoning. But that was his only PC until just the other day when he bought a new one. The old PC is going downstairs for the grandkids to use. The wireless thing is a first time deal in his house.

You do know that you can use the $100 upgrade as a full version and load it on a blank hard drive without prior version being physically on the drive?

Just thought I would ask just in case !

Lzen
07-12-2005, 03:31 PM
You do know that you can use the $100 upgrade as a full version and load it on a blank hard drive without prior version being physically on the drive?

Just thought I would ask just in case !

No, I didn't know that. My FIL made it sound like this was just an upgrade disk and not the full version. Are you sure about that?

Wait.......are we talking about the same thing?

Kerberos
07-12-2005, 10:00 PM
No, I didn't know that. My FIL made it sound like this was just an upgrade disk and not the full version. Are you sure about that?

Wait.......are we talking about the same thing?

Make sure you have a previous edition of windows CD (98, ME, 2000) handy along with your UPGRADE CD of windows XP.

Have you machine ready to boot from CD and put in your upgrade CD and let it boot from that CD or TELL it to when prompted and when it starts go through it just like you would a normal install with a full version CD and when you get to the point where a window pops up and asks for proof of a prior version of windows and it will tell you to put THAT CD in the drive and when it sees and reads it it will prompt you once or twice more and before it will start formating the harddrive the window will pop up again and tell you to put your XP CD ( upgrade) back into the drive and you will load your UPGRADE as a full version ... it will work ... I have done it a few dozen time loading peoples computers that have upgrades and need a reload!

Thus ANYONE that has a prior version of windows can buy the upgrade CHEAP and just use your OLD version of windows as your proof that you have it!

Hope this helps

If you need any help please feel free to email me or send me a PM.

rxrider@hotmail.com

Cliff

BTW: this is NOT something Microsuck tell everyone so they can sell thier $200 copy of XP PRO at BESTBUY and Other retail outlets.

:cuss:

Kerberos
07-12-2005, 10:07 PM
Also ... If it were ME....

I would get a utility such as KillDisk www.killdisk.com and use it to write Zero's 000000 to your hard drive before you install windows. It helps to put your hard drive back to factory settings and really makes for a clean install.

A brand new hard drive comes with nothing but zerso's on it.

I personally think you get a nicer fresh copy of windows when you write zeros first! IMO