PDA

View Full Version : I hope the NFL and the Chief's Front Office...

mikey23545
07-05-2005, 08:10 PM
Are planning one helluva tribute to Hank Stram on opening day this year....

Any ideas for a tribute?

deadbabyseal
07-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Win the superbowl.

jiveturkey
07-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Are planning one helluva tribute to Hank Stram on opening day this year....

Any ideas for a tribute?Not suspend Warfield.

beer bacon
07-05-2005, 08:14 PM
Not suspend Warfield.

I was thinking the same thing, but it was probably because when I saw a thread title with NFL and Front Office in it I immediately thought of Warfield's possible suspension.

Dayze
07-05-2005, 09:20 PM
Not suspend Warfield.

don't worry, if the Chiefs temporarily changed their names to the Patriots, Colts, Rams, Eagles, or Ravens.....we would have our pick of which games in particular Warfield's suspension would occur.

Logical
07-05-2005, 09:27 PM
My personal opinion is the NFL won't have much to do with it. They never really had much respect for Hank as was also true of the writers. This is one reason it took way to ****ing long for him to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame.

mikey23545
07-06-2005, 05:28 AM
My personal opinion is the NFL won't have much to do with it. They never really had much respect for Hank as was also true of the writers. This is one reason it took way to ****ing long for him to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame.

I sure hope this does not turn out to be true, Jim...But even if it does, I hope the Chiefs are allowed to do whatever they see fit, with or without the participation of the NFL....

Dr. Facebook Fever
07-06-2005, 07:18 AM
Re-name it Hank Stram Stadium... or at least Hank Stram Field at Arrowhead Stadium.

Dr. Facebook Fever
07-06-2005, 07:19 AM
don't worry, if the Chiefs temporarily changed their names to the Patriots, Colts, Rams, Eagles, or Ravens.....we would have our pick of which games in particular Warfield's suspension would occur.
I vote for the pre-season ones.

Coach
07-06-2005, 07:23 AM
I sure hope this does not turn out to be true, Jim...But even if it does, I hope the Chiefs are allowed to do whatever they see fit, with or without the participation of the NFL....

Yup. If the NFL refuses to allow the Chiefs to wear some sort of a name tag (The ones they wore that one year, in 1992 I believe?), I'm sure the Chiefs don't mind paying a fine for one game or however long they plan to wear. While Super Bowl IV was his shining moment, Stram left the game as a highly respected innovator who brought the Chiefs from the ashes to the mountaintop, brought them to Super Bowl I and a loss to Green Bay, to a victory in Super Bowl IV -- to the best stretch ever enjoyed by the Kansas City franchise.

But I doubt the NFL will refuse it, becuase if the NFL refuses, then the NFL will be getting some heat becuase almost the majority of everyone knows that Stram was the first coach in pro football to use a moving pocket for the quarterback, pioneered a two-tight-end offense and a stack defense, in which the linebackers lined up behind the defensive linemen rather than between them, which is currently still in use today.

If the NFL does refuse it, then they are nothing but a bunch of hypocrites.

tomahawk kid
07-06-2005, 07:35 AM
I couldn't fathom why the NFL would deny something like this.

I doubt the Chiefs will name the field after Stram (Hunt didn't bow to pressure to name it after DT after his death), but I FULLY expect some sort of memorial on the helmet's, jerseys or field this season, as well as a large tribute at the home opener.

There's no way Lamar doesn't do something to recognize Coach Stram.

Skip Towne
07-06-2005, 07:56 AM
I haven't seen it mentioned here but Stram also invented the play action pass.

wasi
07-06-2005, 08:04 AM
One of the sports networks here in Canada had a nice 5minute segment on him yesterday and dedicated their TOP 10 to the greatest coaching moments.
I imagine there will be recognition by the NFL and some form of tribute.
Is there any award named after him yet?

StcChief
07-06-2005, 08:09 AM
I like an NFL award idea, maybe after some innovative achievement.

Name a field in his NO area home or high school, might as well do Hank Stram Rd. somewhere in KC.

KCFalcon59
07-06-2005, 08:59 AM

Name a field in his NO area home or high school, might as well do Hank Stram Rd. somewhere in KC.

On that note the Coach of the Year award could be named the Hank Stram Award.

Ari Chi3fs
07-06-2005, 09:07 AM
We should change Raytown Road, to Hank Stram Drive

Brock
07-06-2005, 09:15 AM
I don't care what the NFL does, Hank is a Kansas City icon.

whoman69
07-06-2005, 12:01 PM
I haven't heard anything, but it better be a worthy tribute.

Before you say the NFL will have no objections, remember all the crap that happened when Johnny U died.

tomahawk kid
07-06-2005, 12:12 PM
I haven't heard anything, but it better be a worthy tribute.

Before you say the NFL will have no objections, remember all the crap that happened when Johnny U died.

I thought that was because only Manning wanted to wear the black hightops, and everyone else would be wearing white shoes.

Is that accurate?

Brock
07-06-2005, 12:21 PM
I thought that was because only Manning wanted to wear the black hightops, and everyone else would be wearing white shoes.

Is that accurate?

That is accurate. I don't think whoman knows what he's talking about.

Reaper16
07-06-2005, 12:43 PM
And remember that Plummer couldn't wear his Pat Tillman helmet sticker the whole season. And knowing Tagliabue's dislike of the Chiefs, we'd never get away with even a HS helmet sticker for more than one game.

tomahawk kid
07-06-2005, 12:46 PM
And remember that Plummer couldn't wear his Pat Tillman helmet sticker the whole season. And knowing Tagliabue's dislike of the Chiefs, we'd never get away with even a HS helmet sticker for more than one game.

The Chiefs wore the 58 stickers on the back of their helmet for the entire 2000 season.

Again, in Plummer's case, the league (wrongly in my opinion) denied his request because he would have been the only BrownCow with a Tilman sticker. If the rest of the team would have followed suit, I doubt the league would have had an issue.

Brock
07-06-2005, 12:47 PM

Why would Plummer have been allowed to wear the sticker for the whole season?

mikey23545
07-06-2005, 04:55 PM
On that note the Coach of the Year award could be named the Hank Stram Award.

Well, we have the Lombardi trophy...Why not the Stram Award?

That way both the coaches of Super Bowl I have a legacy...

Logical
07-06-2005, 05:31 PM
I sure hope this does not turn out to be true, Jim...But even if it does, I hope the Chiefs are allowed to do whatever they see fit, with or without the participation of the NFL....I am sure that as long as it does not involve changing something with the uniforms, or on the actual playing field, and as long as it is limited to one game the NFL will not interfere. If the NFL would not let Pat Tillman be honored for more than one game they sure are not going to do so for Hank Stram. I have faith that the Chiefs front office will indeed find some way to honor Hank.

Logical
07-06-2005, 05:34 PM

I like the award idea as well, but I really doubt the NFL/media will do that. However the Chiefs could name one of their post season team awards after Stram, like they did with Mack Lee Hill.

Electric
07-06-2005, 05:45 PM
I hope they do work on something that will be a lasting rememberance for Hank. He was the heart of the Chiefs for a long time.

If done properly I'm sure the NFL will let the Chiefs do as they please, I don't care if Tagliabu doesn't like them!!!!

Brock
07-06-2005, 05:48 PM
I am sure that as long as it does not involve changing something with the uniforms, or on the actual playing field, and as long as it is limited to one game the NFL will not interfere. If the NFL would not let Pat Tillman be honored for more than one game they sure are not going to do so for Hank Stram. I have faith that the Chiefs front office will indeed find some way to honor Hank.

The NFL allowed the Cardinals to alter their uniforms for the entire season for Tillman.

Logical
07-06-2005, 06:11 PM
The NFL allowed the Cardinals to alter their uniforms for the entire season for Tillman.I was unaware of that, thanks for the info.