PDA

View Full Version : We should do a Chiefs Planet podcast

Reaper16
07-05-2005, 10:06 PM
With the new iTunes update that puts a podcast option right under the libary option, podcasting is the next big thing in online media.
Podcasting, for the uninitiated, is a form of easily accessible through iTunes radio programing. Essentially, for little to no cost, people record a show of speech or music into usually mp3 format. iTunes will link to the show and allow iTunes users to subscribe to the show. The vast majority of podcasts are free, but you can charge money.

I got the idea after browsing through the sports podcasts and seeing a Raiders podcast. I'm listening to it right now, making my uterly ill. He's talking ish ont he Chiefs and talking optimitically about thier horrid defense.

If anyone has audio equipment, a CP podcast could be pretty popular out there on the intranets.

Phobia
07-05-2005, 10:07 PM
That's a great idea. Do we have the resources to put on a decent show?

Der Flöprer
07-05-2005, 11:39 PM
Sweet, I just won an IPod today at work. Put it to good use in a Chiefly manner.

Phobia
07-05-2005, 11:49 PM
Sweet, I just won an IPod today at work. Put it to good use in a Chiefly manner.

Brilliant. First they give their employees the internet and now iPods. What's next? Subscriptions to spicetv.com?

Reaper16
07-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Bump for a.m.

JimNasium
07-06-2005, 01:00 PM
That's a great idea. Do we have the resources to put on a decent show?
I've got a cassette recorder, a brilliant mind and a face for radio. How's that work for you?

Ari Chi3fs
07-06-2005, 02:06 PM
Im thinking of getting the equipment I need for podcasting.

Creating a podcast for my Circle of Influence website.

All I need is two turntables and a microphone, while drinking some Beck beer.

Saulbadguy
07-06-2005, 02:56 PM
ZachKC contacted me with an idea like this.

|Zach|
07-06-2005, 03:05 PM
This would actually be quite simple...all thats needed is a microphone and a program to record the audio given. After that it would be easy to find a way to wrap it up in syndication.

Ari Chi3fs
07-06-2005, 03:55 PM
we could have various users come to the "studio" and do a 20-30 minute podcast each week, that would blowup Chiefsplanet traffic.

What would be cool, would be to have a Raider fan, Donko fan, Charguh fan, and various chiefs fans do an AFC West Podcast... it would be hard to find knowledgeable fans from the other teams in the division though...

|Zach|
07-06-2005, 03:57 PM
we could have various users come to the "studio" and do a 20-30 minute podcast each week, that would blowup Chiefsplanet traffic.

What would be cool, would be to have a Raider fan, Donko fan, Charguh fan, and various chiefs fans do an AFC West Podcast... it would be hard to find knowledgeable fans from the other teams in the division though...
As Saul mentioned earlier a long time ago I had an idea to do something like this and floated it to a few folks. I didn't know about podcasting then. I was thinking of another way to get the audio out but this format would be perfect. It would be tough to put together but I think it would be cool if we could get some folks dedicated to make a weekly (or monthly at first) Chiefs Planet radio show...

WolfDawg
07-06-2005, 04:06 PM
It actually sounds like a pretty cool idea.

|Zach|
07-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Technically it is alot easier to do than some may think. The big obstickle would be content.

Ari Chi3fs
07-06-2005, 04:09 PM
As Saul mentioned earlier a long time ago I had an idea to do something like this and floated it to a few folks. I didn't know about podcasting then. I was thinking of another way to get the audio out but this format would be perfect. It would be tough to put together but I think it would be cool if we could get some folks dedicated to make a weekly (or monthly at first) Chiefs Planet radio show...

Chiefsplanet would be a great avenue for something like this. Drinking beer and talking chiefs football, with Random topics from the front page discussed weekly.

Would you hit it?
Donger hygiene.
Fugging Patriot fans...

etc.

this would be a great thing. Phil, make it happen... Im getting a portable bad ass digital recorder that encodes mp3... then you can mix it on the PC with various software... put some NFL Films Sam Spence music at the beginning... then we could interview the Chiefs and go to the press conferences and shit...

and use it as a vehicle to promote 37Forever, and Ali Chiefs Forever.

|Zach|
07-06-2005, 04:11 PM
Chiefsplanet would be a great avenue for something like this. Drinking beer and talking chiefs football, with Random topics from the front page discussed weekly.

Would you hit it?
Donger hygiene.
Fugging Patriot fans...

etc.

this would be a great thing. Phil, make it happen... Im getting a portable bad ass digital recorder that encodes mp3... then you can mix it on the PC with various software... put some NFL Films Sam Spence music at the beginning... then we could interview the Chiefs and go to the press conferences and shit...

and use it as a vehicle to promote 37Forever, and Ali Chiefs Forever.
The best way I could think is get people to make their own "Segments" and get it sent to a central person or people to wrap it all up and put it together and make a show out of it.

Ari Chi3fs
07-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Good idea, Zach... the podcast shouldnt go over 30 minutes though... with 20 minutes prime. Anything more than that, and people lose attention.

|Zach|
07-06-2005, 04:13 PM
Good idea, Zach... the podcast shouldnt go over 30 minutes though... with 20 minutes prime. Anything more than that, and people lose attention.
Yup. 20 would be perfect.

Ari Chi3fs
07-06-2005, 04:15 PM
Having opposing fans do segments would be real cool... as long as there arent a lot of uh-and uh but uh, Bill Self audio going on...

Imagine Taco Juan having a 120 second smackdown on Chiefs or a rundown of why the Donx will beat the Chiefs. etc.

or having a fan from each upcoming game come on and rundown the game from their prospective. It would own.

Ari Chi3fs
07-06-2005, 04:16 PM
It would have to be a [R] rated podcast....

|Zach|
07-06-2005, 04:16 PM
Having opposing fans do segments would be real cool... as long as there arent a lot of uh-and uh but uh, Bill Self audio going on...

Imagine Taco Juan having a 120 second smackdown on Chiefs or a rundown of why the Donx will beat the Chiefs. etc.

or having a fan from each upcoming game come on and rundown the game from their prospective. It would own.
There are seriously all kinds of options as far as content. We can do all kinds of things wrapping up Chiefs news...analysis and breakdown of games...and there could be a slate of things having to do with CP as a community.

Ari Chi3fs
07-06-2005, 04:18 PM
yep, podcasts are the future of broadcasting information. Im addicted to them... I subscribe to several, and listen whilst at work. I amazed... its almost like internet circa '94 with the podcast revolution.

|Zach|
07-06-2005, 04:21 PM
yep, podcasts are the future of broadcasting information. Im addicted to them... I subscribe to several, and listen whilst at work. I amazed... its almost like internet circa '94 with the podcast revolution.

I love RSS in general.

DRU
07-06-2005, 04:37 PM
Apple sucks! WinAmp has had this feature for a long time now. I use it to broadcast music so I can connect to it from my phone and play music from it.

|Zach|
07-06-2005, 04:38 PM
Apple sucks! WinAmp has had this feature for a long time now. I use it to broadcast music so I can connect to it from my phone and play music from it.
Are you talking about a shoutcast type stream?

Rausch
07-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Technically it is alot easier to do than some may think. The big obstickle would be content.

Perhaps do one "AM (Rated G)" show and one "PM (night crew, raded NC17)" show...

Selling really cheap add time might help support the BB as well... :hmmm:

|Zach|
07-06-2005, 05:21 PM
I didn't even think of that. If we got a solid listener base maybe we could make a small amount of money to go back to CP. I imagine...we would just do one show...2 would be a huge pain. I would be for basically doing it the same way we run the board. It wouldn't be intended for children but it wont be really bad either.

|Zach|
07-06-2005, 05:27 PM
After reading Rausch's post again I should add...it wouldn't be a live broadcast. It would be something that would be "posted" and people could set up to get once it is updated and listen to whenever they choose or just have it there to be listened to when they like with each past show archived as well.

Rausch
07-06-2005, 05:29 PM
I didn't even think of that. If we got a solid listener base maybe we could make a small amount of money to go back to CP. I imagine...we would just do one show...2 would be a huge pain. I would be for basically doing it the same way we run the board. It wouldn't be intended for children but it wont be really bad either.

"...and week 7's 'Nuthooks' award goes to William Bartee...brought to you by Bass Pro, for all your outdoor needs..."

|Zach|
07-06-2005, 05:30 PM
heh

Rausch
07-06-2005, 05:31 PM
After reading Rausch's post again I should add...it wouldn't be a live broadcast. It would be something that would be "posted" and people could set up to get once it is updated and listen to whenever they choose or just have it there to be listened to when they like with each past show archived as well.

So, no studio audience at Zach's place?... :(

|Zach|
07-06-2005, 05:33 PM
So, no studio audience at Zach's place?... :(
As fun as that sounds...and as much as everyone would love my place. ROFL

It would be a little tougher to pull off live. I know how to do it (and have done it) but its a pain in the ass and the other way would be alot more accesiable I believe.

Ari Chi3fs
07-06-2005, 07:02 PM
I say we hold the podcast at the statue of the grandkids on the ladder.

|Zach|
07-06-2005, 07:11 PM
I say we hold the podcast at the statue of the grandkids on the ladder.
I smell an interview.

Ari Chi3fs
07-31-2005, 02:16 PM
hey gang...

I sent a pm to Phobia, Pink, and AustinChief... yet to hear back, but listen... We can now EASILY do a podcast stream... all we need is a microphone, and AUDACITY. (http://audacity.sourceforge.net)

If you look at http://www.podcastalley.com/podcast_genres.php?pod_genre_id=2
these are the people doing podcasts so far. We can actually have an official podcast, and also have unofficial ones, whenever someone gets the urge.

I have setup a message board with an RSS feed... we could set up a forum here, and we would link our .mp3 in the first post... then it would automatically feed through www.feedburner.com and upload onto your podcast device, if you subscribed to the podcast.

So far on the other board, we have had 11 member podcasts uploaded in one week. most of them less than 10 minutes long. We could discuss our views on the game... we could also get together with a few other Chiefsplaneteers and uploads round table discussions.

Only ONE place is doing this, and its the board that we set up.... we coined it "boardcasting"... so Chiefsplanet can be the first place to have user submitted Chiefs football discussions, and with our viewership get tons of new members for the planet... and people could hear the number one football fans in the world cheer about their teams...

plus we could dog on each other in audio instead of typing. heh.

all we really need is Chiefsplanet and VBulletin to create an RSS feed... and it is on.

|Zach|
07-31-2005, 02:18 PM
Ya, I could have told you this...its very very easy. RSS is a wonderful thing.

Ari Chi3fs
07-31-2005, 02:20 PM
Ya, I could have told you this...its very very easy. RSS is a wonderful thing.

yet no one had ever done it... :)

|Zach|
07-31-2005, 02:20 PM
yet no one had ever done it... :)Indeed.

Ari Chi3fs
07-31-2005, 02:22 PM
this is what VBulletin Mod is needed.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63798

then we sign up a Feedburner acct... and instruct the RSS feed where to look for the mp3s, and we have a Chiefsplanet evolution.

|Zach|
07-31-2005, 02:23 PM
It would also be easy to make it so people could get them on ITunes.

Bowser
07-31-2005, 02:23 PM
So now I can hear Chiefs4me tell everyone to go **** theirselves?

Awwwriiight!!!!111#!1

Ari Chi3fs
07-31-2005, 02:24 PM
the mp3s wont be stored on teh CP server, unless the mods find this is okay. You can go to www.ourmedia.org and sign up for an acct, and do this already... just upload an mp3, and post the link.

|Zach|
07-31-2005, 02:25 PM
Our media is a great project.

Ari Chi3fs
07-31-2005, 02:26 PM
It would also be easy to make it so people could get them on ITunes.

all we would have to do is submit it to iTunes, and people could subscribe to it automatically.... each new podcast... it would upload to your iTunes. Great stuff.

SOmething to think about... for now, CP has no news content... it is JUST a message board. This could help evolve it into something much much more... and give us media access to interviewing players and whatnot... perhaps even Superbowl tickets and access... as a media outlet.

Its time for a CP facelift... and this could be it.

Phobia
07-31-2005, 02:29 PM
So what do you guys need me to do?

4th and Long
07-31-2005, 02:33 PM
The premise of this idea is sound. A lot of people can participate if they have a mic and a program to convert their sound files to mp3s. Phil just needs to make sure this doesn't turn into the Ali and Zach show.

stevieray
07-31-2005, 02:33 PM
i'm not afraid to do it, doing a live broadcast from sportznutz (North) on the 20th.

Ari Chi3fs
07-31-2005, 02:34 PM
install that RSS vbulletin Mod. and sign up at feedburner.com

User: Chiefsplanet
Pass: [whatever...but PM it to me, and Ill calibrate the RSS fee]

|Zach|
07-31-2005, 02:36 PM
Heh, ya im not interested in the Zach and Ali show either. But I think the best way to go about it would be to have some set format...like different segments. Different people could send in their segments and one person could put them together and you have the show.

And every now and then we could do live broadcasts from someplace like Stevie mentioned.

4th and Long
07-31-2005, 02:37 PM
Heh, ya im not interested in the Zach and Ali show either. But I think the best way to go about it would be to have some set format...like different segments. Different people could send in their segments and one person could put them together and you have the show.

And every now and then we could do live broadcasts from someplace like Stevie mentioned.
I'll feel much better about this when Ali agrees with you. :D

|Zach|

The great things about how RSS and podcasts work is that you can listen to them anytime...its not really streamed live persay but you basically subscribe to get the show and each time a new episode pops up you can sit and listen to it at leisure. You can listen to any of the archived episodes as well.

Ari Chi3fs
The premise of this idea is sound. A lot of people can participate if they have a mic and a program to convert their sound files to mp3s. Phil just needs to make sure this doesn't turn into the Ali and Zach show.

the thing is, is that is doesnt matter who uploads shit. you will have the option of which mp3s you want to listen to. For instance, I wouldnt listen to any of 4th and Long's because he is an idiot... heh. j/k

there is a ton of upside to this whole thing... I really dont care to create a ton of them... Id rather sit down and drink some beer with Phobia, StevieRay, DartGod, Brando, Dave Lane, and whoever else at Brando's house... and tape official podcasts after each regular season game.

It would be awesome. Like every Tuesday night or whatever... we create it... and edit it... and upload it for the world to hear.

tell me that wouldnt be awesome.

|Zach|
07-31-2005, 02:38 PM
There ALOT of different ways we could do this...im just throwing in my 2 cents

Phobia
07-31-2005, 02:41 PM
I was kinda hoping AustinChief would have weighed in on this. I want to do it, but I'm not the technical whiz I once was. This is his area.

|Zach|
07-31-2005, 02:42 PM
I was kinda hoping AustinChief would have weighed in on this. I want to do it, but I'm not the technical whiz I once was. This is his area.Yup, all he would need to do when he has time would be to set it up. This thing kind of runs itself from his end after that.

4th and Long
07-31-2005, 02:45 PM
the thing is, is that is doesnt matter who uploads shit. you will have the option of which mp3s you want to listen to. For instance, I wouldnt listen to any of 4th and Long's because he is an idiot... heh. j/k
I wouldn't listen to me either and I'm not kidding.
there is a ton of upside to this whole thing... I really dont care to create a ton of them... Id rather sit down and drink some beer with Phobia, StevieRay, DartGod, Brando, Dave Lane, and whoever else at Brando's house... and tape official podcasts after each regular season game.
That wreaks of collusion but I'll get back to that in a moment.
It would be awesome. Like every Tuesday night or whatever... we create it... and edit it... and upload it for the world to hear.
And there's where you need to start. Someone is going to have to step up and put together the bits and pieces that are sent their way. Editing could be a problem. If you edit something that someone went through all the trouble to make, you run the risk of taking something out of context and pissing someone off.

Another factor here is to be able to allow people to send in their bits and pieces to someone "in charge" as it were. If you only allow the audio taken at say, Brando's house, to hit the air, you'll get the same pissed off people calling for your head on a platter.

If you're going to do this properly, EVERYONE that has the ability, should be able to contribute. Period.
tell me that wouldn't be awesome.
If it's done right, ... you betcha! :thumb:

|Zach|
07-31-2005, 02:47 PM
I don't quite see this as something that people actually get together for on a regular basis. I see it as more so stuff different people do independently and send to a central person. The odds of people getting together IRL on a consistant basis seem slim given the nature of this board.

chiefs4me
08-02-2005, 06:33 PM
So now I can hear Chiefs4me tell everyone to go **** theirselves?

Awwwriiight!!!!111#!1

aw sorry, not interested in talking to very many of you.....:) besides with my kids and school and hockey and football, who has the time. If I wanna talk to one of you, I will just pick up the phone.....ROFL

gblowfish
08-02-2005, 08:01 PM
I've managed my own internet radio station for almost two years now. It's called "Radio Blowfish." Once, sometimes twice a week I build a program of music, comedy and general weirdness that runs around six hours with no repeat. You can check it out here, I'm featuring lots of comedy this week:
http://www.live365.com/stations/307567

It's a lot of work. Have to constantly search for new material to keep it interesting. Believe me, if you only build a 20 minute program and let it stand for a week, people will lose interest in a hurry. It's like hearing the same joke over and over. BB's like the CP thrive on immediacy. Look how many threads are started every day. The other thing is you really need decent equipment to make decent audio, even for the web. I use a Sennheiser 421 run through a powered Mackie mixer, dumped into my Mac. If different guys record different stuff at different places, the audio is going to be all over the place.

You're going to need an "audio webmaster" for lack of a better term, to pull all the contributions together, technically match them up, add some flash and panache and make it worth listening to. Otherwise, you're wasting your time.

I'm around AV stuff all day at work, and already have my hands full with Radblow, or I'd offer to be "audio webmaster." Don't want to pee on your Wheaties.

Just wanted to let you know as a voice of experience, it's harder to do than you might think, especially to keep it interesting.

Ari Chi3fs
08-02-2005, 08:17 PM
I've managed my own internet radio station for almost two years now. It's called "Radio Blowfish." Once, sometimes twice a week I build a program of music, comedy and general weirdness that runs around six hours with no repeat. You can check it out here, I'm featuring lots of comedy this week:
http://www.live365.com/stations/307567

It's a lot of work. Have to constantly search for new material to keep it interesting. Believe me, if you only build a 20 minute program and let it stand for a week, people will lose interest in a hurry. It's like hearing the same joke over and over. BB's like the CP thrive on immediacy. Look how many threads are started every day. The other thing is you really need decent equipment to make decent audio, even for the web. I use a Sennheiser 421 run through a powered Mackie mixer, dumped into my Mac. If different guys record different stuff at different places, the audio is going to be all over the place.

You're going to need an "audio webmaster" for lack of a better term, to pull all the contributions together, technically match them up, add some flash and panache and make it worth listening to. Otherwise, you're wasting your time.

I'm around AV stuff all day at work, and already have my hands full with Radblow, or I'd offer to be "audio webmaster." Don't want to pee on your Wheaties.

Just wanted to let you know as a voice of experience, it's harder to do than you might think, especially to keep it interesting.

dude a downloadable podcast might be the way to go... and shorten it down... I bet you get tons of subscribers.

How do you track your viewership now?

You could almost do a Blowfish Chiefs Podcast of your own... since these guys dont want to do it. heh.