PDA

View Full Version : PFW on the Ambrose acquisition

PatsWin2002
07-06-2005, 11:58 AM
From this afternoon's PFW:

http://profootballweekly.com/PFW/Commentary/Spins/2005/spins070605.htm

July 6, 2005

Chiefs add CB Ambrose

ProFootballWeekly.com asks associate editor Jeff Reynolds for his thoughts on the hottest topics in the NFL.

Kansas City inks 13-year veteran Ambrose

Moving to further fortify a rebuilt secondary, the Chiefs signed CB Ashley Ambrose to a one-year deal on July 1. Ambrose, 34, was a second-round pick in 1992 and went to one Pro Bowl in his career (1996 with the Bengals). Ambrose most recently played with the Saints after logging time with the Falcons, Colts and Bengals.

PFW: Where does Ambrose fit into the Chiefs’ masterplan?

Reynolds: More or less, Ambrose represents a low-risk, low-cost insurance policy. In all honesty, the Chiefs hope not to be in a situation where Ambrose becomes essential to the defense. Getting another experienced defensive back to join a unit that added CB Patrick Surtain and SS Sammy Knight became necessary when CB Julian Battle went down on June 18 with a torn left Achilles’ tendon. Battle, now out for the season, had been working with the first-team defense due to the legal problems haunting Eric Warfield (facing felony DUI charges and a potential one-year NFL suspension).

Dexter McCleon, solid in 2003 before coming back to earth in ’04, enters training camp as the starting right cornerback. McCleon is best as a nickel cornerback but he’s the top option for a group that includes William Bartee. Second-year project Benny Sapp and 23-year-old rookie Alphonso Hodge could compete for a roster spot but aren’t threats to McCleon or Ambrose as starters.

Ambrose, a 5-10, 185-pounder, plays bigger than he is. He had knee problems last season in New Orleans but has experience playing in physical, press-coverage defenses similar to the one defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham expects to employ. With Surtain, one of the top five cover men in football, locking up lead receivers, Cunningham can ill afford a weak link on the other edge. But if Ambrose can’t play his physical brand of football — his catch-up speed is modest at best — Cunningham must count on an underachieving defensive line to keep the pressure off of his patchwork secondary. Therein lies the risk, but Cunningham believes the Chiefs dramatically improved team speed and can create pass-rush pressure from almost every position.

Lzen
07-06-2005, 12:06 PM
I'd say this piece is pretty much accurate. That is, other than the fact that Hodge and Sapp might become challengers for a starting spot. We won't know for sure until training camp and preseason games.

alpha_omega
07-06-2005, 12:14 PM
I'd say this piece is pretty much accurate. That is, other than the fact that Hodge and Sapp might become challengers for a starting spot. We won't know for sure until training camp and preseason games.

Agreed, sounds pretty accurate to me.

cdcox
07-06-2005, 12:15 PM
"due to the legal problems haunting Eric Warfield (facing felony DUI charges and a potential one-year NFL suspension)."

This is the first that I heard that Warfield could miss the entire year. I though 4 games was the max. Any truth to this?

penguinz
07-06-2005, 12:16 PM
Not to mention that he is no longer "facing" felony DUI charges. He has already been convicted and served his time.

Bob Dole
07-06-2005, 12:19 PM
"due to the legal problems haunting Eric Warfield (facing felony DUI charges and a potential one-year NFL suspension)."

This is the first that I heard that Warfield could miss the entire year. I though 4 games was the max. Any truth to this?

It's the first you've heard about it because it's not true.

Mr. Laz
07-06-2005, 12:41 PM
It's the first you've heard about it because it's not true.
of course it's true...

warfield COULD face a 1 year suspension but it's higly unlikely because the NFL generally suspends players for 1 or 4 games first.

petegz28
07-06-2005, 12:48 PM
4 games I believe is actually the penalty for a 3rd violation not a first.

Coogs
07-06-2005, 12:56 PM
When Battle went down, I thought the coaching staff point blank said Bartee would be staying at the safety spot. Has that changed?

excessive
07-06-2005, 01:10 PM
When Battle went down, I thought the coaching staff point blank said Bartee would be staying at the safety spot. Has that changed?

No, in fact, I've heard reiteration from the coaching staff that Bartee stays at safety. I think it's in one of Vermeil's OTA inverviews on chiefs site.

milkman
07-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Agreed, sounds pretty accurate to me.

With all the inaccuracies in this article, i.e., Bartee is a safety now, Warfield is not facing charges, but rather has already been convicted,
the wrong suspension length, about the only accurate part of this article is that the Chiefs signed Ambrose.

Kudos PFW.
Great work! :thumb:

htismaqe
07-06-2005, 07:40 PM
4 games I believe is actually the penalty for a 3rd violation not a first.

Technically, this is Warfield's first violation of the league's substance abuse policy. The league screwed up and never enrolled him after his 1st or 2nd DUI.

Fairplay
07-06-2005, 08:04 PM
I think Gunther is looking for experience in the backfield. We have enough noobs or wanna-bes. I like the Ambrose pick-up. Hes not A-1 talent but we need talent to get us through the year. Maybe our many safties can help the other CB's with Surtain covering his reciever good.

Lzen
07-06-2005, 08:57 PM
With all the inaccuracies in this article, i.e., Bartee is a safety now, Warfield is not facing charges, but rather has already been convicted,
the wrong suspension length, about the only accurate part of this article is that the Chiefs signed Ambrose.

Kudos PFW.

Oh......yeah.......and those things, too. Heh. I was inferring the sentiments about Ambrose more than the factual errors. But you're right.

KChiefs1
07-06-2005, 08:59 PM
So, Warfield could be suspended for the whole year? Man, that would put a damper on the season wouldn't it....

milkman
07-06-2005, 09:10 PM
Oh......yeah.......and those things, too. Heh. I was inferring the sentiments about Ambrose more than the factual errors. But you're right.

Yeah, they did give a pretty good assessment of Ambrose's game.

milkman
07-06-2005, 09:14 PM
of course it's true...

warfield COULD face a 1 year suspension but it's higly unlikely because the NFL generally suspends players for 1 or 4 games first.

No, it's not true.

Technically, this is Warfield's first violation of the league's substance abuse policy. The league screwed up and never enrolled him after his 1st or 2nd DUI.

The NFL could try to suspend him for a year.
But there's no way they win in an appeal because of the fact that Parker pointed out in his post.

The fact is, if they suspend him for 4 games, Warfield would have a ligetimate chance of winning an appeal in that case.

shaneo69
07-06-2005, 09:25 PM
So, Warfield could be suspended for the whole year? Man, that would put a damper on the season wouldn't it....

0-16?

:p

Lzen
07-06-2005, 09:30 PM
The fact is, if they suspend him for 4 games, Warfield would have a ligetimate chance of winning an appeal in that case.

Which is exactly why I think they're taking so long to make a decision.

carlos3652
07-06-2005, 09:33 PM

Kudos PFW.

Does Athan work for PFW now????

Phobia
07-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Warfield's out for the year? Shit!

milkman
07-06-2005, 09:41 PM

I thought exactly the same thing, as I'm sure a number of others did.

shaneo69
07-06-2005, 09:50 PM

I think they've gone downhill since Buchsbaum died.

Logical
07-06-2005, 09:56 PM
I'd say this piece is pretty much accurate. That is, other than the fact that Hodge and Sapp might become challengers for a starting spot. We won't know for sure until training camp and preseason games.I would point out that Warfield has already been through the trial and received and is serving his sentence. Other than that it got the basics right, though it did not point out the max penalty on Warfield is a 4 game suspension.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-06-2005, 09:56 PM
The more the days go by, the more I think Warfield won't be suspended at all. If so, maximum 2 games.