PDA

View Full Version : Body of Steelers fan viewed in recliner

Wile_E_Coyote
07-06-2005, 02:13 PM
sorry if already posted
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/football/nfl/san_francisco_49ers/12066257.htm

Body of Steelers fan viewed in recliner

http://www.mercurynews.com/images/common/spacer.gif
PITTSBURGH - James Henry Smith was a zealous Pittsburgh Steelers fan in life, and even death could not keep him from his favorite spot: in a recliner, in front of a TV showing his beloved team in action.

Smith, 55, of Pittsburgh, died of prostate cancer Thursday. Because his death wasn't unexpected, his family was able to plan for an unusual viewing Tuesday night.

The Samuel E. Coston Funeral Home erected a small stage in a viewing room, and arranged furniture on it much as it was in Smith's home on game day Sundays.

Smith's body was on the recliner, his feet crossed and a remote in his hand. He wore black and gold silk pajamas, slippers and a robe. A pack of cigarettes and a beer were at his side, while a high-definition TV played a continuous loop of Steelers highlights.

"I couldn't stop crying after looking at the Steeler blanket in his lap," said his sister, MaryAnn Nails, 58. "He loved football and nobody did (anything) until the game went off. It was just like he was at home."
Longtime friend Mary Jones called the viewing "a celebration."

"I saw it and I couldn't even cry," she said. "People will see him the way he was."

Smith's burial plans were more traditional - he'll be laid to rest in a casket.

alpha_omega
07-06-2005, 02:15 PM
That's just weird!

beavis
07-06-2005, 02:18 PM
That's just weird!
It's f'n sweet is what it is.

Rain Man
07-06-2005, 02:19 PM
They should've just bought him season tickets, or at least tickets to games below 32 degrees.

jspchief
07-06-2005, 02:21 PM
If they reallly wanted to portray him as a Steelers fan, they should have made him a loudmouth asshole that crawls under a rock in the down years only to show up beating his chest and waving his stupid ass towel when the team plays well.

tomahawk kid
07-06-2005, 02:22 PM
If they reallly wanted to portray him as a Steelers fan, they should have made him a loudmouth asshole that crawls under a rock in the down years only to show up beating his chest and waving his stupid ass towel when the team plays well.

Bad experience with the fans from the Steel City eh?

Rain Man
07-06-2005, 02:23 PM

Hmm. Then I think the Steelers should be expecting a down year this year.

Dr. Facebook Fever
07-06-2005, 02:25 PM
Shit... I hope my family doesn't set me up in a masterbating position.....

jspchief
07-06-2005, 02:26 PM
Bad experience with the fans from the Steel City eh?I don't think I've ever known a Steeler fan I liked. Other than the ones in Pittsburgh, they are all bandwagoners. And including the ones in Pittsburgh, they are all loudmouth a-holes that don't realize the 70s are over.

ChiefsOne
07-06-2005, 02:26 PM
Much cooler than lying in a casket. Celebration of his life....the way it should be.

|Zach|
07-06-2005, 02:27 PM
http://www2.gascp.com/mar/pic/LazyBoyDispenser.jpg

Taco John
07-06-2005, 02:31 PM

That's not like any Steelers fans I know... Chargers fans, yes. But the Steelers fans I've always met seemed to be loud and proud in the down years too...

|Zach|
07-06-2005, 02:33 PM
I only know one Steeler fan and he is a great guy. When we played them a few eyars ago I poked around a Steeler board for a while and they were pricks.

BIG_DADDY
07-06-2005, 02:34 PM
Much cooler than lying in a casket. Celebration of his life....the way it should be.

People deal with death differently. This is a little weird to me but whatever works.

HemiEd
07-06-2005, 02:41 PM
I read this earlier today, still trying to put it in perspective. I can not imagine going to that viewing. :rolleyes:

Dremel
07-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Sounds like A Weekend At Bernys type of funeral! A little creepy.

WolfDawg
07-06-2005, 04:19 PM
ROFL :clap:

WolfDawg
07-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Out of respect for the dead I won't say anything

DJay23
07-06-2005, 04:26 PM
What's sad is that he was remembered as a lazy sack of shit.

WolfDawg
07-06-2005, 04:41 PM
What's sad is that he was remembered as a lazy sack of shit.

must......resist....temptation

Calcountry
07-06-2005, 05:14 PM
It's f'n sweet is what it is.agreed. Funerals should be send offs, not boo hoo fests.

beavis
07-06-2005, 05:19 PM
agreed. Funerals should be send offs, not boo hoo fests.
No kidding. I bet he was an awesome guy too. Anyone that does anything like that had to have a helluva personality.

beavis
07-06-2005, 05:20 PM
I sat next one at Arrowhead a couple of years ago. He was an obnoxious asshole. Of course, that's a sample size of 1 out of thousands.

bogie
07-06-2005, 05:44 PM
My brother was obsessed with gambling. We all put a dollar in his casket so he could get a good poker game going in heaven. He also was an avid hunter, I wish we could of dressed him in orange and put his rifle across his chest. He would of loved that!

Ari Chi3fs
07-06-2005, 06:05 PM
My brother was obsessed with gambling. We all put a dollar in his casket so he could get a good poker game going in heaven. He also was an avid hunter, I wish we could of dressed him in orange and put his rifle across his chest. He would of loved that!

...and where is your bro buried? :hmmm:

Frazod
07-06-2005, 08:47 PM
While I'm not exactly up on the idea of showing off a corpse at a wake in general, I figure there's no harm in this, and it's probably exactly the way the corpse in question would have wanted it.

I guess in my case they'd have to have me in front of the computer looking at the TV next to it, and they'd need a loop of Chiefs highlights AND a loop of me cussing the defense. The undertaker would also have to mold my face into a snarl, assuming there wouldn't be one there already.

I do not calmly lounge when watching football. :cuss:

runnercyclist
07-06-2005, 10:04 PM

As a die hard Chiefs fan sentenced to Pittsburgh the last three years, I could not agree with this comment more. Two years ago the sports bars were empty and I could watch the Chiefs games in peace. Last year they all crawled out of the woodwork.

jspchief
07-07-2005, 05:59 AM
As a die hard Chiefs fan sentenced to Pittsburgh the last three years, I could not agree with this comment more. Two years ago the sports bars were empty and I could watch the Chiefs games in peace. Last year they all crawled out of the woodwork.The same thing happened in sports bars all across the country.

It was peaceful last year until about week 5. They had to make sure the bandwagon was actually worthy of jumping on. Then they roll out with their Bettis jerseys, claiming they've been a die hard since the days of Franco Harris or some other over-rated player from the 70s.

HemiEd
07-07-2005, 11:29 AM
The same thing happened in sports bars all across the country.

It was peaceful last year until about week 5. They had to make sure the bandwagon was actually worthy of jumping on. Then they roll out with their Bettis jerseys, claiming they've been a die hard since the days of Franco Harris or some other over-rated player from the 70s.

A lot of those kind of fans out there for all teams in all sports. You can not go anywhere in Chicagoland right now without getting overwhelmed by White Sox stuff being worn. This is normally not the case, usually Cubs stuff is all you see.
All of the bars around here had turned into Packers bars until just recently. I think bandwagoners are pretty universal.

Fat Elvis
07-07-2005, 11:46 AM
I sat next one at Arrowhead a couple of years ago. He was an obnoxious asshole. Of course, that's a sample size of 1 out of thousands.

However, it is an amazingly accurate sample....

Rain Man
07-07-2005, 11:50 AM
As a die hard Chiefs fan sentenced to Pittsburgh the last three years, I could not agree with this comment more. Two years ago the sports bars were empty and I could watch the Chiefs games in peace. Last year they all crawled out of the woodwork.

Yeah, I think it's universal. Here in Denver in 1997 and 1998, I had to wedge myself sideways into the sports bars. The past few years, it's just been me, the crickets, and some Giants fan who has hair down to his waist. I generally try to keep the crickets in the middle.

Skip Towne
07-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Ben Roethlisberger's grandma is a very nice lady.

Bob Dole
05-24-2006, 07:20 PM
What appear to be the photos are making the email rounds.

KC Jones
05-24-2006, 08:41 PM

I lived in Pittsburgh and you couldn't be more wrong. They were convinced they were the greatest team in the league during the Bubby Brister days.

FAX
05-24-2006, 08:51 PM

Holy crap. That is just awful. The big sleep brought to you by BarcaLounger

Here lies the body of our friend James.
Because this is how he watched the games.
The Steelers brought him years of joys.
And we weren't sure if heaven had lazyboys.

FAX

OldTownChief
05-24-2006, 09:31 PM

Yep... He looks pretty dead alright.

unlurking
05-24-2006, 09:33 PM
Love the beer can, ashtray, and PJs.

OldTownChief
05-24-2006, 09:40 PM
Love the beer can, ashtray, and PJs.

Should have stuck a cigarette in his mouth. After all, he did die of cancer.

Nzoner
05-24-2006, 09:55 PM

High school buddy of mine who died in his early 30's was buried in his Chiefs leather coat Levi's and Converse tennis shoes,it's what he would have wanted.

Brock
05-24-2006, 09:56 PM
Who takes pictures at a funeral?

unlurking
05-24-2006, 10:10 PM
With camera phones so prevalent, it's not hard to imagine cameras being brought to a funeral. With a "viewing" like this, I'm surprised there aren't a ton of pictures around.

OldTownChief
05-24-2006, 10:13 PM

It's not the funeral, It's just the viewing room.

Hydrae
05-24-2006, 10:45 PM
That's about what I look like mid-third quarter of non-Chiefs games. Well, except the skin tone. And I don't drink beer. Ok, so I don't own a recliner either. But I usually do snooze through the third quarter of games, especially Steelers. :)