PDA

View Full Version : Coaches no longer allowed to discipline a spoiled generation of ball players...

Taco John
07-06-2005, 10:30 PM
Apparently, the tough love approach is out with this new generation of spoiled brats... to the story...

Community stunned as HS coach charged with spanking players

BY LINDSAY FABER
STAFF WRITER

July 7, 2005

A Staten Island coach and community figure has been arrested on charges of spanking teenage boys if they missed their basketball shots, officials said.

Drew Sanders, 49, of 50 Turf Rd. in the Heartland Village section, was charged with second-degree attempted assault, fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon, 23 counts of forcible touching, 23 counts of third-degree sexual abuse and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child.
Authorities allege that on Monday, Sanders, who is an assistant executive director of the Staten Island Jewish Community Center, pulled down a 15-year-old boy's pants and slapped the boy in the behind with a wooden paddle.

That boy told authorities that the incident happened multiple times -- with Sanders throwing him over his knees and pulling his pants down while slapping him -- between June and September of last year, and again between April and July of this year.

Another boy contacted by police confirmed he too was victimized in June 2004.

Investigators said three other boys have come forward with complaints on Tuesday and Wednesday.

"Everybody is stunned, it's hard to believe," said Ruth Lasser, a spokeswoman for the Staten Island JCC. "He's a wonderful family guy. We love him. We're hoping that the allegations will prove not to be founded."

The JCC put Sanders on temporary suspension, officials there said.

The 6-foot-6, 250-pound Sanders is a married father of three.

He works as a Public Schools Athletic League basketball coach at Tottenville High School and does summer camp coaching at Susan Wagner High School.

Department of Education spokeswoman Kelly Devers said Sanders, not a full Department of Education employee, has been put on the "ineligible" list, meaning he can no longer be hired by the department.

"We've informed the schools that he should not be allowed to enter," Devers said.

Sanders faces at least up to 4 years in prison if convicted of the charges.

Coach
07-06-2005, 10:34 PM
Hmm, I'm sure during Skip's time, that this was pretty much normal.

Phobia
07-06-2005, 10:34 PM
I wonder if he's interested in coaching softball.

beer bacon
07-06-2005, 10:56 PM
Disciplining them would involve making them run wind sprints or something. Making the ****er uppers run until they puked or collapsed always seemed like a good punishment to me. Spanking them is just sort of...odd. It is less odd because it appears that he used a wooden paddle, which I hear they still used to punish students back before the giant sloth died out.

alanm
07-06-2005, 11:03 PM
He should've just whacked them upside the head with the paddle. He would have probably been put in for a raise by a few of the parents. ROFL

Logical
07-06-2005, 11:09 PM
Disciplining them would involve making them run wind sprints or something. Making the ****er uppers run until they puked or collapsed always seemed like a good punishment to me. Spanking them is just sort of...odd. It is less odd because it appears that he used a wooden paddle, which I hear they still used to punish students back before the giant sloth died out.Not really all that far back, in Wichita in the 80s they sent parents permission slips to spank the grade school and Middle school kids. I know this to be true because I signed the permission slip. I promptly told my kids that if they thought being whacked by a wooden paddle at school was bad, wait until they got home after I was told. Never once did any of my three ever get paddled at school.

cdcox
07-06-2005, 11:12 PM
Swats with a paddle were an accepted and common form of discipline through Jr. high when I was growing up. Dropping the drawers is a little wacked though.

Logical
07-06-2005, 11:13 PM
Swats with a paddle were an accepted and common form of discipline through Jr. high when I was growing up. Dropping the drawers is a little wacked though.Though I know of families that did that, I would not expect to find it happening is a school/public type institution.

ENDelt260
07-06-2005, 11:26 PM
My college roommate still got swats at his HS... he graduated in 98.

Jim's story reminded me of a story my old HS principal told. Guess he was previously a principal at a school where the parents had the option of their kids getting swats or... uh, some other punishment... i forget the details. Anyway, somehow circumstances worked out somehow where one kid called in pretending to be his dad asking for the swats because the kid would've rather been spanked by the principal than answer to his dad for being suspended or whatever.

mcan
07-07-2005, 01:14 AM
There have been several coaches that have done this, not as a form of discipline so much, as a way to get the team to gell. I know it sounds weird, but there was one really famous college level coach who did this and got in trouble a couple years ago. None of the players complained because it was a kind of tradition. He didn't make any of them pull their pants down. He just had a paddle, and the kids lined up and shot. If they missed they got swatted as they trotted back. The whole community ended up rallying around this coach, and all the players ended up on his side. It was totally innocent, but they layed the law down, and I think he lost his job.

Can't remember the coach though.