PDA

View Full Version : Pick your five all-time greatest Chiefs players from this list: Part 3

Rain Man
07-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Moving into the C's and D's.

Poll forthcoming.

ChiefsCountry
07-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Dawson
Delaney
Culp

Rain Man
07-07-2005, 10:24 AM
The greatness in this poll is rather thin.

I went with Dawson and Culp as the only obvious choices. I then went with Condon and Delaney only due to Condon's longevity and Delaney's one good year. Willie Davis edged out Anthony Davis for the #5 spot.

P@ckfan
07-07-2005, 10:25 AM
CHEEFS SUK!

milkman
07-07-2005, 10:28 AM
The greatness in this poll is rather thin.

I went with Dawson and Culp as the only obvious choices. I then went with Condon and Delaney only due to Condon's longevity and Delaney's one good year. Willie Davis edged out Anthony Davis for the #5 spot.

My list was very similiar, and for the same reasons.

However I went with DeBerg as my fifth choice because he brought leadership, toughness and a presence to the QB position that the Chiefs hadn't seen in years.

HemiEd
07-07-2005, 10:32 AM
Hehe, the only Chief I have ever met in person was Jerry Cornelison and the others are Delaney, DeBerg, Len Dawson and Curly Culp.

cdcox
07-07-2005, 10:35 AM
Dawson, Culp, Delaney, Condon, and DeBerg

Yep, pretty thin pickens.

Skip Towne
07-07-2005, 10:39 AM
Why are there two sets of dates after the name and college?

cdcox
07-07-2005, 10:41 AM
Why are there two sets of dates after the name and college?

Years they played for the Chiefs followed by years that they were a starter.

HemiEd
07-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Years they played for the Chiefs followed by years that they were a starter.

I am amazed how long ago it was for Culp. My Daughter was born the same year he finished with the Chiefs and she is now a Doctor. I think we traded him to Houston correct?

Skip Towne
07-07-2005, 10:52 AM
It does seem like we traded Culp to Houston but I don't remember how we got him.

Rain Man
07-07-2005, 10:54 AM
My list was very similiar, and for the same reasons.

However I went with DeBerg as my fifth choice because he brought leadership, toughness and a presence to the QB position that the Chiefs hadn't seen in years.

Urgh. Somehow I didn't see DeBerg on the list, or he would've been my #5 guy.

Oh, well. I'll keep my Willie Davis pick in appreciation for his touchdown catch in the Monday Night game against Denver.

Rain Man
07-07-2005, 10:56 AM
Hmm. Assuming that Todd Collins makes the team this year (pretty likely), he'll be third on the tenure list in this poll. What a run.

Ari Chi3fs
07-07-2005, 11:02 AM
isnt Tom Condon an agent now?

Rain Man
07-07-2005, 11:09 AM
isnt Tom Condon an agent now?

He's not just AN agent. He's THE agent. He's a big shot in the agenting world.

Nightfyre
07-07-2005, 11:12 AM
No love for anthony davis? On this list he must at least make 4.

milkman
07-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Urgh. Somehow I didn't see DeBerg on the list, or he would've been my #5 guy.

Oh, well. I'll keep my Willie Davis pick in appreciation for his touchdown catch in the Monday Night game against Denver.

OK.
You created the poll.
How the hell did you miss anyone?

Nightfyre
07-07-2005, 11:14 AM
OK.
You created the poll.
Ok, now youve done it. Prepare to be on the receiving end of a brash rainman temper tantrum.

HemiEd
07-07-2005, 11:19 AM
It does seem like we traded Culp to Houston but I don't remember how we got him.

I found that he played for Houston until 1980. Here is the only up to date information I could find on him. One of my hero's a cab driver?http://buzzmodo.typepad.com/buzznovation/2005/03/in_the_cab_with.html

cdcox
07-07-2005, 11:25 AM
We traded Culp for John Matuszak. ESPN's page 2 picks up the story from there:

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/toomay/020903.html

"Matuszak was a good example. Who ever thought Matuszak would ever be able to play for anyone? In college, he punched and nearly killed a guy he suspected of fooling around with his girl. The Oilers made him the NFL's top draft pick in '73, but Matuszak hated head coach Sid Gillman so much that he walked out on the team. Playing for the Chiefs in '74, Tooz was booked for marijuana possession, then hospitalized when he overdosed on booze and sleeping pills. That same year, his wife tried to run him over in a car. Traded to George Allen's Redskins in '76, he was gone by the end of preseason. Asked why Matuszak was cut, Allen said, "Vodka and Valium, the breakfast of champions." "

From there he went to Raiders where he had great success. We REALLY screwed the pooch on that one. Oilers and Raider both gained Pro-Bowlers and we were left with nothing.

HemiEd
07-07-2005, 11:49 AM
We traded Culp for John Matuszak. ESPN's page 2 picks up the story from there:

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/toomay/020903.html

"Matuszak was a good example. Who ever thought Matuszak would ever be able to play for anyone? In college, he punched and nearly killed a guy he suspected of fooling around with his girl. The Oilers made him the NFL's top draft pick in '73, but Matuszak hated head coach Sid Gillman so much that he walked out on the team. Playing for the Chiefs in '74, Tooz was booked for marijuana possession, then hospitalized when he overdosed on booze and sleeping pills. That same year, his wife tried to run him over in a car. Traded to George Allen's Redskins in '76, he was gone by the end of preseason. Asked why Matuszak was cut, Allen said, "Vodka and Valium, the breakfast of champions." "

From there he went to Raiders where he had great success. We REALLY screwed the pooch on that one. Oilers and Raider both gained Pro-Bowlers and we were left with nothing.

Good information, I remember that now. Houston then traded Culp to Detroit in 1980 and he played one more year after that. We made a lot of these kinds of deals back then.

Rain Man
07-07-2005, 11:52 AM
OK.
You created the poll.

I'm over 40. My short-term memory is shot.

JimNasium
07-07-2005, 12:26 PM
I had to vote for Todd Collins in honor of Rausch.

chiefs4me
07-07-2005, 12:35 PM
This is getting harder..I didn't even want to choose 5 from this bunch...but here's mine.
Dawson, Len
Deberg,Steve
Delaney,Joe
Davis,Willie
and the 5th just because you wanted 5 is
Condon,Tom

Rain Man
07-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Remember all the excitement about Lake Dawson when he was a rookie? That didn't last long.

I remember an article out of training camp that was positively giddy, written after he had taken a reverse all the way for a TD. He was going to be our next great WR.

whoman69
07-07-2005, 02:18 PM
This list didn't have the star power of lists past. I still can't believe the first list had people who didn't vote for Bobby Bell.

milkman
07-07-2005, 08:29 PM
This list didn't have the star power of lists past. I still can't believe the first list had people who didn't vote for Bobby Bell.

Gotta be the youngsters that never saw Bobby play.
That, or idiots without a clue.

Logical
07-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Holy cow that list had only two on it worth voting for at all.

Lenny and Curly.

Logical
07-07-2005, 09:01 PM
I had a hard time not voting for Delaney, but how can a 1 year player be considered for greatness. Maybe the Chiefs could have an entire additional category of Greatness cut short, Mack Lee Hill and Joe Delaney to name two.

old_geezer
07-07-2005, 09:24 PM
You could have listed a lot more names on this poll. I voted for one - Dawson. Nobody else here deserves to be on a "greatest Chiefs" final vote. JMHO

Digital Takawira
07-07-2005, 10:51 PM
you fools are voting for the wrong dawson.

lake dawson=best possesion receiver EVER.

EVER.

Phobia
07-07-2005, 11:02 PM
This is getting harder..I didn't even want to choose 5 from this bunch...but here's mine.
Dawson, Len
Deberg,Steve
Delaney,Joe
Davis,Willie
and the 5th just because you wanted 5 is
Condon,Tom

That's a pretty good list for a girl.

I picked a lot of the same players, but Condon was a strong contender for me just based on longevity. He was never a "great" player, but he started for a lot of years. He's automatic for me considering the weakness that is the C and D Chiefs players.

FWIW, Dunn was my 5th selection. I think he's vastly underrated.

Phobia
07-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Where in the hell is the 2nd poll?

Digital Takawira
07-07-2005, 11:09 PM
FWIW, Dunn was my 5th selection. I think he's vastly underrated.

u damn right. he is part predator after all.

Rain Man
07-07-2005, 11:19 PM
Where in the hell is the 2nd poll?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=119017

It had fallen to Page 4.

buddha
07-07-2005, 11:22 PM
There weren't five GREAT players on that list. DeBerg was gutty, but far from great. Condon was good to very good in some years.

Dawson, Culp, Delany

arrowhead20
07-07-2005, 11:50 PM
p@ck-of- Fags fan, we'll see whos team sucks worse this year, im almost positive its not my team.

KCChiefsMan
07-08-2005, 12:14 AM
Deberg, Dawson, Dunn, Anthony Davis and Delaney

cdcox
07-08-2005, 12:15 AM
p@ck-of- Fags fan, we'll see whos team sucks worse this year, im almost positive its not my team.

Initially goatcheese's gag was annoying. However the more people he gets to lash out at him the more I appreciate it.

papasmurf
07-08-2005, 10:06 PM
Steve Deberg?