PDA

View Full Version : How many drinks a day for the alcoholic label to be attained?

tyton75
07-07-2005, 02:07 PM
How many alcoholic drinks do you think someone would have to avg in a day to be considered an alcoholic?

Just curious what the planet thinks... nothing else to talk about.. right?

I only drink on occassions, like poker night, watching football.. etc... and then only enough to get a buzz

How bout it?

Goapics1
07-07-2005, 02:09 PM
If you only drink on occassions, like poker night, watching football.. etc... and then only enough to get a buzz, you are an alcoholic.

ptlyon
07-07-2005, 02:10 PM
If you only drink on occassions, like poker night, watching football.. etc... and then only enough to get a buzz, you are an alcoholic.

Yep. And to some people if you say you aren't, you automatically are.

Say for instance you have 1 glass of wine with X-mas dinner every year. Being that you look forward to that glass of wine, you are an alcoholic.

Pants
07-07-2005, 02:11 PM
I think it's when you feel sick in the morning if you don't down a shot.

jspchief
07-07-2005, 02:15 PM
I think there's a lot more factors than simply number or frequency of drinks.

Ghostof
07-07-2005, 02:16 PM
I think it's when you feel sick in the morning if you don't down a shot.

ah that sounds like a good ol Vodka Binge to me

in order to be labeled as an alcoholic, you must be drunk or pickled at least 6 times a week and drive a 1970s or 80s Chevy Stepside truck and live at the bar with a few hay bales tossed in the back for those nights you have to sleep in your truck

Rain Man
07-07-2005, 02:23 PM
If you became a Catholic just for the communion wine, then you may be an alcoholic.

Sam
07-07-2005, 02:25 PM
12 a day :rolleyes:

Dremel
07-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Back to Self-Help
Early Signs of an Alcohol Problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is no foolproof way of knowing if someone has an alcohol problem, but you can ask yourself some questions that might begin to help you determine if you or someone you know has a drinking problem.

Are you, yourself, uneasy about your drinking behavior, why you drink, how much, and/or how you feel when you drink?
Has someone close to you spoken to you about your drinking behavior?
Do you drink at most social occasions you attend, such as parties, dates or informal get-togethers?
Do you sometimes think that you need to drink to have a good time?
Do you seem to have more courage to meet and talk to people when you have had a few drinks?
Do a few drinks allow you to be more yourself, more the person you would like to be?
Have you ever taken a few drinks before going to class, to work, or before dates or appointments to bolster your courage?
Do you keep a bottle in your apartment or car so it will always be handy if you need it?
Do you do things when you drink that you wouldn't do if you were sober?
When things go wrong with work, school, in you home life or with your parents, do you drink to forget about it or to make yourself feel better?
Do you sometimes forget things that happen while you were drinking?
Blackouts are a definite sign that your brain can no longer tolerate alcohol, whether you have been drinking one year or twenty, whether they occur after a few drinks or many, or whether you appear intoxicated or not.

The "test" above is not a foolproof diagnosis, but it is a rather good indicator. One "yes" answer is reason to be alert to the possibility that alcohol could be a problem for you. The likelihood that it is a serious problem increases with each succeeding "yes," and even two "yes" answers should be considered a danger sign. It may mean that you are using alcohol to deal with stressful situations in your life. While this may not be a problem now, it could set up a pattern that will lead to a more serious problem for you as stresses in your life become greater. You may want to start now to develop some other methods of coping with stress. You can do this on your own or with the help of friends, but if you would like some professional help, consider contacting these University of Florida or campus agencies: University Counseling Center (392-1575), Student Mental Health (392-1161), Campus Alcohol and Drug Resource Center (392-1261), Alcoholics Anonymous (372-8091), or contact the mental health center or Alcoholics Anonymous group nearest you.

Many of us tend to postpone accepting or even deny that drinking is becoming a problem for us or for those close to us. Problem drinking usually arises from problems we have in handling stress in our daily lives. You can receive help to better handle the stresses you face. Check out suggestions for handling stress and boosting your self-esteem under these headings at our site: PERSONAL POWER; ANXIETY, STRESS AND DEPRESSION; RELATIONSHIPS

Note: This document is based on an audio tape script developed by the University of Texas, Austin. With their permission, it was revised and edited into its current form by the staff of the University of Florida Counseling Center.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please read this disclaimer. If you are in doubt about where to turn for assistance, please feel free to call the Counseling Center at (352) 392-1575.

ptlyon
07-07-2005, 02:32 PM
Are you, yourself, uneasy about your drinking behavior, why you drink, how much, and/or how you feel when you drink?
Do you drink at most social occasions you attend, such as parties, dates or informal get-togethers?
Do you seem to have more courage to meet and talk to people when you have had a few drinks?
Do a few drinks allow you to be more yourself, more the person you would like to be?
Have you ever taken a few drinks before going to class, to work, or before dates or appointments to bolster your courage?
Do you keep a bottle in your apartment or car so it will always be handy if you need it?
When things go wrong with work, school, in you home life or with your parents, do you drink to forget about it or to make yourself feel better?

They forgot "Have you ever had s@x with pets or farm animals during or after drinking?"

Simplex3
07-07-2005, 02:33 PM
Nice sig there Dremel... ROFL

Don't worry, we all understand how hard the Intarweb is. Especially when you suck at it. :clap:

P@ckfan
07-07-2005, 02:34 PM
Don't worry, we all understand how hard the Intarweb is. Especially when you suck at it. :clap:

ROFL OWNED!

BIG_DADDY
07-07-2005, 02:37 PM
I feel sorry for people who don't drink.

Rain Man
07-07-2005, 02:38 PM
If you replaced your front teeth with a bottle opener, then you may be an alcoholic.

vailpass
When they wake up in the morning that's as good as they are going to feel all day.

JimNasium
I have 12 cases of homebrew in my closet right now. What does that make me?

P@ckfan
07-07-2005, 02:39 PM

I feel sorry for people who DO drink.

Goapics1
07-07-2005, 02:39 PM
ROFL OWNED!
http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?postid=144887

Ghostof
07-07-2005, 02:40 PM
I feel sorry for people who DO drink.

I feel sorry for your mom who got drunk and had sex with all the hobos on the northern railroad train that passed through your hometown

HemiEd
07-07-2005, 02:44 PM
I had an occasion to spend some time with some professionals on this subject. They taught that any drinking pattern all indicates qualifications exist to be an AA member.

Braincase
07-07-2005, 02:48 PM
One drink a day, if it's REALLY big.

deadbabyseal
07-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Being an AA member I'll chime in here. I'ts not so much how many drinks you have, or how often you drink. The best rule of thumb IMHO is if your drinking is having a negitive impact on your life, and you continue to do it anyway,then you might have a problem.

BIG_DADDY
07-07-2005, 02:53 PM
When they wake up in the morning that's as good as they are going to feel all day. :thumb:

munkey
07-07-2005, 02:55 PM
IMO it's up to the individual to decide...

I've had buddies that could easily drink up to a 6 pack a night and it didn't affect their personal or professional life.... Iíve also known guys that went to rehab that only drank once or twice a week...

I've always thought that if it something is adversely affecting your personal, professional or physical life you might have a problem...

P@ckfan
07-07-2005, 02:56 PM
When they wake up in the morning that's as good as they are going to feel all day.

That's a load of donkey poo poo.

BIG_DADDY
07-07-2005, 03:02 PM

No that's Dean Martin nicely teed up an knocked out of the park.

Calcountry
07-07-2005, 03:04 PM
http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?postid=144887 No wonder Skip is so pissed at everyone all the time. :shake:

4th and Long
07-07-2005, 03:06 PM
If your liver has the same consistency as a brick, you might be an alcoholic.

vailpass
07-07-2005, 03:13 PM

Back to the kiddy's table GoatCheese the big people are trying to have a conversation...

P@ckfan
07-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Back to the kiddy's table GoatCheese the big people are trying to have a conversation...

Attack the issue, not the poster please. Thankyou.

jspchief
07-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Attack the issue, not the poster please. Thankyou.Hard to do when the poster is clueless to the issue being discussed.

Why do you pick this fight? If you choose not to drink, fine, more power to you. But why do you try and bag on people that do drink?

P@ckfan
07-07-2005, 03:29 PM
Hard to do when the poster is clueless to the issue being discussed.

Why do you pick this fight? If you choose not to drink, fine, more power to you. But why do you try and bag on people that do drink?

I am certainly not clueless to the issue. Please note I am not bagging on people that drink, either.

jspchief
07-07-2005, 03:32 PM
I am certainly not clueless to the issue. Please note I am not bagging on people that drink, either.Oh, you just "feel sorry for them"...as if it's some kind of affliction or something. :rolleyes:

P@ckfan
07-07-2005, 03:34 PM
Oh, you just "feel sorry for them"...as if it's some kind of affliction or something. :rolleyes:

Well, someone piped up that they felt sorry for non-drinkers, so I felt I had to throw my dissenting opinion into the pot.

vailpass
07-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Attack the issue, not the poster please. Thankyou.

The issue is that BD laid down the first line from a classic Dean Martin quote which you mistook for a serious statement.
The whole thing flew so far over your head you still don't get it. There is a concept that cannot be explained; you either get it or you don't. It's called "cool". Dean Martin phrases are definetely cool. You, not so much.

P@ckfan
07-07-2005, 03:44 PM
The issue is that BD laid down the first line from a classic Dean Martin quote which you mistook for a serious statement.
The whole thing flew so far over your head you still don't get it. There is a concept that cannot be explained; you either get it or you don't. It's called "cool". Dean Martin phrases are definetely cool. You, not so much.

It wasn't serious eh? Well then please disregard.

jspchief
07-07-2005, 03:51 PM
I feel sorry for people that don't recognize that quote. I am serious.

Also, that is a Frank Sinatra quote that mistakenly gets credited to Dean Martin sometimes.

P@ckfan
07-07-2005, 03:59 PM
I bet most people under 25 could not recognize that quote.

Pants
07-07-2005, 04:01 PM
I bet most people under 25 could not recognize that quote.

Heh, I'm foreign and even I know it, except I thought it was Martin as well, not Sinatra.

Also, sobriety is highly overrated, gochiefs.

P@ckfan
07-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Also, sobriety is highly overrated, gochiefs.

If you need to get drunk that is fine, I just never saw the attraction.

jspchief
07-07-2005, 04:04 PM
I think you're wrong about young people not knowing it.

And I believe Sinatra said it on the Dean Martin show, hence the confusion.

vailpass
07-07-2005, 04:17 PM
"I don't drink water because fish f@ck in it"

P@ckfan
07-07-2005, 04:19 PM
"I don't drink water because fish f@ck in it"

People have sex in the atmosphere, maybe you should stop breathing.

But really, that's just stupid, fish don't get into the pipes.

:D

vailpass
07-07-2005, 04:20 PM
If you need to get drunk that is fine, I just never saw the attraction.

If you don't drink then what is left to do when you are out on a date? Actually listen to her and try to think of things to say?
No no no. Have few, let the lines start to flow naturally and make sure to keep her on a steady, but not too heavy, pace as well.
My dear boy drinking has gotten more people laid than looks, money, personality and libido combined.

vailpass
07-07-2005, 04:21 PM
[QUOTE=P@ckfan]People have sex in the atmosphere, maybe you should stop breathing.

But really, that's just stupid, fish don't get into the pipes."

:) WC Fields said some funny stuff.

J Diddy
07-07-2005, 06:52 PM
[QUOTE=P@ckfan]People have sex in the atmosphere, maybe you should stop breathing.

But really, that's just stupid, fish don't get into the pipes.[QUOTE]

Sure they do. How do you think I bury goldfish?

go bowe
07-07-2005, 06:54 PM
http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?postid=144887HEY!

where'd you get that picture of me? :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

J Diddy
07-07-2005, 06:59 PM
HEY!

where'd you get that picture of me? :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Dude you got big boobs.

MMM i like big boobs.

go bowe
07-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Well, someone piped up that they felt sorry for non-drinkers, so I felt I had to throw my dissenting opinion into the pot.you'd be a lot better off if you would just stick to pissing in the pot...

unless you decide to smoke it instead... :bong:

go bowe
07-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Dude you got big boobs.

MMM i like big boobs.you'll have to get in line...

meatpeeker has the first dance... :p :p :p

go bowe
07-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Dude you got big boobs.

MMM i like big boobs.yeah, some of my nieces are jealous that i've got a bigger rack than they do... :p :p :p

ENDelt260
07-07-2005, 07:10 PM
If you became a Catholic just for the communion wine, then you may be an alcoholic.
Outstanding. A Foxworthy ripoff thread.

penchief
07-07-2005, 07:13 PM
I know I'm an alcoholic. I've been going through some tough times so I'm cutting myself some slack. If and when I set my mind to it, I know I can do better. Right now, though, rum seems to help me get through the day. I like rum. It makes me mellow and I love everybody.

Cannibal
07-07-2005, 07:14 PM
I don't drink during the week and don't usually have the desire to. But I drink a lot just about every weekend. I'd say that I'm probably a "functioning" alcoholic. Every now and then on Thursday, I find myself wanting a cold beer, but resist the temptation.

ENDelt260
07-07-2005, 07:16 PM
I'm disappointed that Rain Man didn't contribute more, "You might be an alcoholic..." jokes.

Skip Towne
07-07-2005, 07:26 PM

But really, that's just stupid, fish don't get into the pipes."

:) WC Fields said some funny stuff.
"Who stole the cork out of my lunch", "Have you ever seen Philadelphia, from 3 feet, at night?" (He was drunk and in the gutter)

WilliamTheIrish
07-07-2005, 07:28 PM
I haven't had a drink in over 16 years.
My trouble was I never knew "when to say when."

I function much better w/o the juice. I do drink non alc brews like O'dould's and the like.

But my life has been much better w/o the juice.

ENDelt260
07-07-2005, 07:49 PM
Tonight I plan to drink a three dollar bottle of wine and chase it with some vicodin and vodka. You make the call.

go bowe
07-07-2005, 07:55 PM
Tonight I plan to drink a three dollar bottle of wine and chase it with some vicodin and vodka. You make the call.i'd say it sounds like fun down in the old hacienda delta man tonight... :toast: :toast: :toast:

go bowe
07-07-2005, 07:57 PM
I know I'm an alcoholic. I've been going through some tough times so I'm cutting myself some slack. If and when I set my mind to it, I know I can do better. Right now, though, rum seems to help me get through the day. I like rum. It makes me mellow and I love everybody.except bushies... :p :p :p

philfree
07-07-2005, 08:20 PM
One drink a day meets the classification of a alcoholic. I think one drinking night a week meets another. It all depends upon who's doing the classifying. I refused to be classified :) :rolleyes:

PhilFree:arrow:

Fairplay
07-07-2005, 08:55 PM

I feel i need to drink more all the time.

All the time, i simply put them on ignore.

Yeah, all the time.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes, i feel like im superhuman when i drink.

Yes, Yes and Yes.

I keep bottle's in car, house, at work and whereever.

Farm animals look more appealing to me.

It appears they go wrong all the time.

What?

Bootlegged
07-07-2005, 08:58 PM
I know I'm an alcoholic. I've been going through some tough times so I'm cutting myself some slack. If and when I set my mind to it, I know I can do better. Right now, though, rum seems to help me get through the day. I like rum. It makes me mellow and I love everybody.

I knew something wasn't right w/you.

HemiEd
07-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Tonight I plan to drink a three dollar bottle of wine and chase it with some vicodin and vodka. You make the call.

Is the wine from the same place that had the "two buck wine?" I just read that they came out with a Sonoma Three dollar bottle.

ENDelt260
07-07-2005, 09:14 PM
Is the wine from the same place that had the "two buck wine?" I just read that they came out with a Sonoma Three dollar bottle.
Er, I dunno. I bought this stuff at Trader Joe's. It's called Charles Shaw.

4th and Long
07-07-2005, 09:17 PM
Alcohol and other CNS depressants may produce an additive CNS depression, when taken with this combination product (Vicodin), and should be avoided.

Why do I think I'm typing this for nothing?