PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Dennis and I

jagerdrinker
07-07-2005, 03:14 PM
So it looks like this monstrosity has taken aim at my new house and I. As this is my first hurricane, I'm looking for advice on just how much beer/alcohol I will need to weather it out. Any of you hurricane veterans have any suggestions?

ptlyon
07-07-2005, 03:16 PM
Depends on if you're an alcoholic or not. If you have a question on if you are, look here (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=119104).

In looking at your moniker, I would say you should stock a ton.

FloridaChief
07-07-2005, 03:18 PM
how much beer/alcohol I will need to weather it out.

All of it.

KCTitus
07-07-2005, 03:22 PM
half gallon of jager and vodka and a case of red bull, you should be golden.

chagrin
07-07-2005, 03:25 PM
All of it.

Then add another case or two, cheers dude. I hope ya make it okay!

FloridaChief
07-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Ahhh, I finally understand the meaning of the cryptic PM I received last night.

Then add another case or two, cheers dude. I hope ya make it okay!

Thanks. Bracing up for the 1st one of the season. I hope this year is not like the last...

chagrin
07-07-2005, 03:53 PM
God yes, last season was very nasty

RedNFeisty
07-07-2005, 03:54 PM
So it looks like this monstrosity has taken aim at my new house and I. As this is my first hurricane, I'm looking for advice on just how much beer/alcohol I will need to weather it out. Any of you hurricane veterans have any suggestions?

I have been dying to move down there, the first and for most reservation is caused by hurricanes, tornados are bad enough. Well that and the job market.

If you are not taking a trip to Alabama, then I would say buy the store out. Best of luck!

ChiefGator
07-07-2005, 04:18 PM
Well, I lived through three last year.. two bad ones.

I drank all my liquor.

The key is buy ALOT of ice. Fill that ice with beer.

Buy some liquor you don't mind drinking warm.

Also, buy some wine.. it is real refreshing after you run out of everything else and you have been without power for a week.

Oh yeah... maybe some water too.

DeepSouth
07-07-2005, 04:21 PM
Drive to Gulf Breeze. Take the road toward Fort Pickens. Right before the entrance to the national park, pull into the the parking lot on the Gulf Side. Stay there until the road back to civilization washes out. At that point, try to make your way back to the mainland. If you post again on Tuesday, we'll know you survived.

chiefqueen
07-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Plan on losing your power, cable, and internet connection for the next few days. (In the case of the latter 2, perhaps weeks. In the only hurricane I was in, Gloria-1985, I was w/o cable for 3 weeks.)

chagrin
07-07-2005, 04:52 PM
If it's Bell South, then yes

jagerdrinker
07-07-2005, 05:20 PM
My office is actually in Gulf Breeze, exactly two blocks from the water. Fort Pickens isn't even reopened from Ivan yet, and Navarre Beach Road just opened over the 4th of July weekend. Needless to say, I have plenty of ice, plenty of gas, and plenty of non-perishables. I'll try to keep posting as long as possible on Sunday...perhaps even include a few pics. In the meantime, I'm off to cut up some plywood in order to board up the windows.

DeepSouth
07-08-2005, 11:05 AM
jagerdrinker, Are you going to ride this one out in Gulf Breeze? It's looking kind of nasty. Check out this site. Has info combined from several storm centers.

http://www.ih2000.net/ira/bmt-wth.htm

ptlyon
07-08-2005, 11:10 AM
FloridaGramps?

Who did this dude used to be?

Donger
07-08-2005, 11:13 AM
Whoa. Dennis is a Cat4 now?

DeepSouth
07-08-2005, 11:16 AM
Coastal Weather Research Center Clients,

Powerful Hurricane Dennis moved over the Cabo Cruz Peninsula of
southern Cuba overnight as a Category 4 hurricane. The storm weakened
slightly, but now is over warm waters to the south of the Cuban coast
and is beginning to intensify once again before another encounter with
central Cuba tonight.

Of particular significance is the fact that the storm, as it has
intensified overnight, has taken a more west-northwest jog and is
staying far enough off the Cuban coast today to stay a well organized
and very intense storm. Thus, the fact that this storm is not
encountering as much of the Cuban landmass means that it will have the
ability to persist a more westerly motion for a longer period of time
today. This is an important development, because, as talked about
earlier, very large and powerful storms embedded in the trade winds can
delay their northward recurvature by altering steering currents in their
vicinity. Since Dennis has again regained category 4 intensity after
crossing Cabo Cruz yesterday evening, the stage is set for Dennis to
encounter less of the Cuban landmass today and tonight.

Thus, the forecast track of Dennis is adjusted farther westward,
increasing the threat to Alabama, Mississippi, extreme southeast
Louisiana, and extreme Northwest Florida. The storm should reach this
area Sunday afternoon or evening. This forecast scenario is also
supported by trial runs of the BLOHW model.

The new landfall projection farther west along the Gulf coast is mainly
a function of this westward bias imparted by large intense hurricanes.
This current forecast is a function of the reality that Dennis is barely
missing most of the island of Cuba and is able to maintain powerful
hurricane status while skirting just south of the island today. The
expected motion of the storm across a narrow flat portion of
western/central Cuba later today will be brief and will not weaken the
storm very much. Thus, Dennis will maintain category 3/4 hurricane
status once in the southern Gulf, which will again allow the storm to
persist on a more northwest course.

This westward persistence of track due to the storm's own influence on
its steering will have to be monitored very closely. Dennis is truly
becoming the "big boy on the block" and is having more control of its
own destiny.

The highest landfall risk for Dennis extends from the Mouth of the
Mississippi River northward to Slidell LA and eastward across the
Mississippi/Alabama coast to the Panama City/Port St. Joe FL area. A
moderate risk of landfall extends from the mouth of the Mississippi
River westward to just west of Grand Isle LA, and low risk extends
westward from there to Morgan City LA. Over the northeast Gulf coast, a
moderate risk extends from Port St. Joe FL to St. Marks FL, and a low
risk southeastward to Cedar Key FL.

A landfall risk graphic will be sent shortly and a BLOHW Model forecast
will be available by 8 am, maybe earlier.

Dr. Keith G. Blackwell
Coastal Weather Research Center
University of South Alabama

chief husker
07-08-2005, 11:24 AM
[QUOTE=jagerdrinker]So it looks like this monstrosity has taken aim at my new house and I.
I'd use plastic liquor bottles, you could always use them as a flotation device. Driving through Atlanta today, 40MM damage here

jagerdrinker
07-10-2005, 07:35 AM
It's 7:30 here, and the winds are just barely blowing (about 20-25 mph.) You'd never know a Cat 4 hurricane is about to strike. We're headed down to the water's edge to take a look at the surf, and then coming back to hunker down. The rumor is that there are gusts coming in up to 190 mph. This should be a fun one. Growing up in Blue Springs, I never thought I'd be enduring one of these, but what the Hell? It's an experience. More posts and pics to come, presuming my ISP stays functional.

Additionally, for the record, I'm not staying in Gulf Breeze, my office is. My house is in Pace, which is a bit more inland. But thanks for the info.

FloridaChief
07-10-2005, 07:45 AM
It's 7:30 here, and the winds are just barely blowing (about 20-25 mph.) You'd never know a Cat 4 hurricane is about to strike. We're headed down to the water's edge to take a look at the surf, and then coming back to hunker down. The rumor is that there are gusts coming in up to 190 mph. This should be a fun one. Growing up in Blue Springs, I never thought I'd be enduring one of these, but what the Hell? It's an experience. More posts and pics to come, presuming my ISP stays functional.

Additionally, for the record, I'm not staying in Gulf Breeze, my office is. My house is in Pace, which is a bit more inland. But thanks for the info.

Man, this storm looks to be heading straight for you (although you can never tell, a lesson I learned too well last year). Best of luck and don't rule out just jumping in the car and heading north before it's too late to do so. Going days w/o electricity sucks, compared to the comfort of a hotel room...

mikey23545
07-10-2005, 09:36 AM
Hang in there, Jagerdrinker....I went through my three hurricanes last year, and I know what it's like, dude...I sure as hell hope that this year turns out differently...

Bwana
07-10-2005, 09:49 AM
http://www.weather.com/newscenter/tropical/
Water rise is expected to be in the 12- to 18-foot range; by now, all people should have evacuated low-lying areas. Buoys offshore are reporting waves in excess of 30 feet.

Damn, I thought you guys paid your dues last year. Get to high ground and keep your head down. Good luck to all of you!

4th and Long
07-10-2005, 09:51 AM
Damn, I thought you guys paid your dues last year. Get to high ground and keep your head down. Good luck to all of you!
Hurricanes demand regular dues from costal dwellers.

This one looks like it wants paid soon.

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/archdat/tropical_cyclones/tc05/ATL/04L.DENNIS/vis/geo/1km_zoom/20050710.1245.goes12.x.vis1km_high.04LDENNIS.125kts-930mb-285N-863W.jpg

CosmicPal
07-10-2005, 10:00 AM
This gives a whole new meaning to the term, Dennis the Menace

DaKCMan AP
07-10-2005, 10:03 AM
Madeira Beach, about 10-15 miles from here is pretty much under water right now. And the eye was over 200 miles west of our area. This thing is going to be a bitch.

Get in a room without windows, have water, flashlights, battery operated radio, some canned food and hopefully you have lots of cash (in all denominations) on hand for the aftermath.

Good luck.

Bwana
07-10-2005, 10:10 AM
The first bands hit St. Andrews Bay in Panama City, Florida.

WolfDawg
07-10-2005, 10:47 AM

Don't worry about it, I grew up about 45 minutes west of you in Niceville.
Lived there 25 years we used to even have Hurricane partys and I'm still around. As for beer, depends on what you normally drink. yake what you would normally drink in 4 days and multiple it by 4.

WolfDawg
07-10-2005, 10:54 AM
Just talked to my mom she lives 30 minutes east of Panama City Beach. She said it isn't bad yet, winds blowing about 55 mph.

Skip Towne
07-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Plan on losing your power, cable, and internet connection for the next few days. (In the case of the latter 2, perhaps weeks. In the only hurricane I was in, Gloria-1985, I was w/o cable for 3 weeks.)
Blame yourself for being on that shitty cable. That doesn't happen with Directv.

jagerdrinker
07-10-2005, 11:55 AM
1200 CST and I still haven't lost a limb or a shingle...it's really beginning to pick up in intensity, though. I can see my privacy fence starting to bow with the gusts. I'm wishing I had put some cash into a windspeed detector (whatever they call those things.) Going to start in on the mojitos in about 10 minutes. They say the eye will be here in about an hour. Amazed the power is isn't gone yet.

Skip Towne
07-10-2005, 12:05 PM
1200 CST and I still haven't lost a limb or a shingle...it's really beginning to pick up in intensity, though. I can see my privacy fence starting to bow with the gusts. I'm wishing I had put some cash into a windspeed detector (whatever they call those things.) Going to start in on the mojitos in about 10 minutes. They say the eye will be here in about an hour. Amazed the power is isn't gone yet.
Anemometer

4th and Long
07-10-2005, 12:23 PM
The eye has become much more pronounced that it was this morning.

Earlier image from this morning
http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/archdat/tropical_cyclones/tc05/ATL/04L.DENNIS/vis/geo/1km_zoom/20050710.1245.goes12.x.vis1km_high.04LDENNIS.125kts-930mb-285N-863W.jpg

Current image
http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/archdat/tropical_cyclones/tc05/ATL/04L.DENNIS/vis/geo/1km_zoom/20050710.1645.goes12.x.vis1km_high.04LDENNIS.125kts-930mb-285N-863W.jpg

DTLB58
07-10-2005, 12:27 PM
The eye has become much more pronounced that it was this morning.

Earlier image from this morning

Current image
http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/archdat/tropical_cyclones/tc05/ATL/04L.DENNIS/vis/geo/1km_zoom/20050710.1645.goes12.x.vis1km_high.04LDENNIS.125kts-930mb-285N-863W.jpg

That is the most awesome sattelite imagery I'ver ever seen :clap:

4th and Long
07-10-2005, 12:33 PM
That is the most awesome sattelite imagery I'ver ever seen :clap:
I'm good with a camera. :p

Current projected path of Dennis.
http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/atcf_web/image_archives/2005/al042005.05071012.gif

4th and Long
07-10-2005, 01:01 PM
Getting closer ...
http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/archdat/tropical_cyclones/tc05/ATL/04L.DENNIS/vis/geo/1km_zoom/20050710.1715.goes12.x.vis1km_high.04LDENNIS.125kts-930mb-285N-863W.jpg

DTLB58
07-10-2005, 01:13 PM
I'm watching the weather channel and they just showed a huge wave hitting a pier. Holy cow they crap that was awesome!

Skip Towne
07-10-2005, 01:29 PM
Nothing from Jager since noon. He must be shut down.

Bwana
07-10-2005, 04:13 PM
Nothing from Jager since noon. He must be shut down.

Indeed. I was happy to see it went from a category 4 down to a category 3 just before it hit land.

chiefs4me
07-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Wow...great pictures guys... I hope he and all the other planet members down there are okay...:thumb:

jagerdrinker
07-14-2005, 10:17 PM
So my cable came up about 35 minutes ago, and I'm happy to say that although our area endured the worst of Dennis, we made it through okay. The girlfriend was upset because I started the post saying Dennis and I, instead of Dennis and US, so I'd like to straighten out that misrepresentation right away. We lost our 4 week old privacy fence, the top of our chimney, and two large oak trees, but all in all, came out quite nicely. A few days of nearly 100 degrees nearly had us at each others throats, but we made it through. Thanks for all of your well wishes. I'm gonna' try to post some pics on here soon.

Coach
07-14-2005, 10:36 PM
Glad to see that you and your gal made it through.

Hydrae
07-14-2005, 10:49 PM
I was wondering how you fared. Good to hear everything is okay. :toast: