PDA

View Full Version : 10 Toughest players of all time

Dunit35
07-07-2005, 11:04 PM
The sports list is on right now and its on the 10 Toughest football players of all time..Im sure its a rerun or maybe even a repost...but I noticed they had Ray Lewis at #5 but they forgot to put the highlights of last years game on though...that game should have droppest his toughness down some....maybe even off the list..as far as I'm concerned...dont get me wrong he is real good..Who do you guys/girls consider the toughest players ever?

Rausch
07-07-2005, 11:10 PM
I'd put Lambert and Lott at 1 and 2. Either one would deserve either spot.

I'd also throw Jackie Slater, Kevin Greene, Walter Payton, and Brett Favre in there somewhere...

Bwana
07-07-2005, 11:10 PM
I would give him (Lewis) a top five in the biggest mouth category of all time, but not the toughest player in the top 5.

Dunit35
07-07-2005, 11:15 PM
I'd put Lambert and Lott at 1 and 2. Either one would deserve either spot.

I'd also throw Jackie Slater, Kevin Greene, Walter Payton, and Brett Favre in there somewhere...

Lott was somewhere in the high number.. I watched it to #5...there was Lott, Steve Mcnair, Donovan Mcnabb, Ray Nitchske(spelling), Mike Ditka and Lewis...not sure of order...

cdcox
07-07-2005, 11:23 PM
Lott was somewhere in the high number.. I watched it to #5...there was Lott, Steve Mcnair, Donovan Mcnabb, Ray Nitchske(spelling), Mike Ditka and Lewis...not sure of order...

Lot played in a game after having his finger amputated.

Steve McNair frequently played with numberous injuries.

Donovan McNabb played half a game on a broken leg.

Ray Nitchske played after having a pass thrown into his nuts. Then it happened again and he died.

Ditka coached a whole season after being raped by the Redskins.

Ray Lewis played his whole career after stabbing some dude.

alanm
07-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Larry Wilson SS, HOF for the Cardinals would have to be one of them.

Dunit35
07-07-2005, 11:38 PM
Ray Nitchske played after having a pass thrown into his nuts. Then it happened again and he died.

Ditka coached a whole season after being raped by the Redskins.

Ray Lewis played his whole career after stabbing some dude.

hahaha..rep

Ugly Duck
07-07-2005, 11:46 PM
Howzabout dis guy? I mean, he actually lived after this tackle...

http://www.hadishi.com/HadishiFileshare/images/hall.gif

Phobia
07-08-2005, 12:03 AM

I watched the entire clip several times over and have yet to see a tackle.

Coach
07-08-2005, 12:05 AM
Deftinaly Favre.
Duce Staley should be on the list im ny opinion.

Ugly Duck
07-08-2005, 12:11 AM
I watched the entire clip several times over and have yet to see a tackle.So wuddya call that when one guy makes the other guy fall down?

Rausch
07-08-2005, 01:09 AM

Wow. What a ****ing horrible pass by Green.

You don't hang your WR's out to get killed that way...

Logical
07-08-2005, 01:30 AM
Kind of depends on what is meant by tough.

If it is who would you like least to put the helmet to you.

Nitschke
Lanier
Butkus
Lott
Lambert
Singletary
Rodney Harrison (ouch that hurt to type)

regald
07-08-2005, 01:57 AM
I'm not 70, so I don't know who the toughest of all time are.

I know Jim Brown has to be up there or who ever made the list doesn't even watch football. He played with broken bones and got up slowly after each play so defenses wouldn't know if he was hurt or not.

Earthling
07-08-2005, 05:30 AM
You just got to have Conrad Dobbler (Sp?) in there.

HemiEd
07-08-2005, 05:53 AM
Was Webster in there?

Braincase
07-08-2005, 05:53 AM
Hacksaw

old_geezer
07-08-2005, 06:02 AM
Any list without Chuck Bednarick in the top 3, if not at the the top, is completely bogus. (Last man to play both ways - and I mean the whole 60 minutes - in the NFL for all you youngsters).

cadmonkey
07-08-2005, 06:56 AM
Lot played in a game after having his finger amputated.

The best part of that was that it was a nothing, meaningless game. The 49ers already made the playoffs and they asked him if he wanted to take the rest of game or aputate..........."Cut the f*cking thing off, its only a pinky"

Toughest motherf*cker to ever play. He would knock himself out making a tackle just to make sure the other guy felt it just as hard.

ChiTown
07-08-2005, 07:30 AM
You just got to have Conrad Dobbler (Sp?) in there.

I'd say Conrad was more dirty than tough, but that's jmo.

One of the toughest SOB's I ever saw play was LB Mike Curtis (Balt. Colts).

cadmonkey
07-08-2005, 07:58 AM
I'd say Conrad was more dirty than tough, but that's jmo.

Agreed, bighting people and kicking them when you have fallen down doesn't make you tough.

Rain Man
07-08-2005, 08:45 AM

It's best if you use his nickname: Mike "Animal" Curtis.

tyton75
07-08-2005, 08:52 AM
Jack Youngblood.. played on a broken leg
Nitchkie
Lott
Steve DeBerg- broken finger anyone?
Lambert
Butkus
Favre
Willie Lanier- "homer pick"
Deion Sanders

(just kidding on Deion!)

Rain Man
07-08-2005, 08:54 AM
It's hard to distinguish between "toughest" and "meanest", I think. For tough guys, you would have to pick guys like Walter Payton and Brett Favre and Merlin Olsen and our own Will Shields - guys who showed that they can take poundings for years and yet always be on the field during game time. And there are guys like Paul Moyer (former Seahawks DB), who ruptured a testicle, and Tom Brown (former Packers safety), who separated a shoulder, and yet still finished the game.

For meanest, there's always the MLBs - Lambert, Nitschke, Curtis, etc. I would also set forth "Mean Joe Greene," who got his nickname his rookie year by putting two of Philadelphia's guards out of the game in quick succession, one of whom ended up with his helmet in the stands.

donkhater
07-08-2005, 09:03 AM
Any list that doesn't have Jack Youngblood on it is a farce. The dude played the playoffs and the Super Bowl with a broken leg.

RaiderH8r
07-08-2005, 09:06 AM
Where's the love for Romo? The guy didn't miss a game until his last season with the Fade. Coincidence? Nitschke and Lambert get adored for being mean and Romo is the guy you love to hate. Favre is tough, but you can't fart on a QB anymore, YA Tittle took abuse. The one hit Bednarik put on Gifford gets him consideration as an also ran...for that one hit alone. Lott, tops the list though...or should have.

Brock
07-08-2005, 09:07 AM
I keep hearing how tough Steve McNair is.

cadmonkey
07-08-2005, 09:11 AM
Jack Youngblood.. played on a broken leg

I was going to say Youngblood for that same reason but then people will start saying "oh, T.O. played with a broken leg in the Superbowl. That means he is tough too" and I really didn't feel like dealing with that sh*t.

gblowfish
07-08-2005, 09:16 AM
No Particular Order:

Ray Nitschke
Dick Butkus
Jack Lambert
Larry Wilson
Ronnie Lott
Jim Otto
Fred Arbanas
Joe Namath
Dave Butz
Chuck Bednarik

dollar1
07-08-2005, 09:37 AM
"Deion Sanders

(just kidding on Deion!)"

At first I didn't see the "just kidding" and was about to go balistic.

Earl Campbell needs to be included. He didn't try and dodge a linebacker, he went through them.

Another topic would be who is/was the toughest Chief?

I'll throw one out...Priest. His conditioning, drive, not that big, though injury prone...it seems.

~Back Under Rock~

gblowfish
07-08-2005, 10:03 AM
Another topic would be who is/was the toughest Chief?

I'll throw one out...Priest. His conditioning, drive, not that big, though injury prone...it seems.

~Back Under Rock~
Tough Chiefs:
Sherrill Headrick: He's in a wheelchair now. Played with dislocated shoulder.
Steve DeBerg: Played with a steel rod in his pinky.
James Hasty: Played with injury every year as a Chief.
Fred Arbanas: Lost an eye in a bar fight.
Jack Rudnay: Held the consecutive start record for Chiefs until Will Shields.
Will Shields: See Rudnay.
EJ Holub: Played linebacker in SB I, Center in SB IV, had multiple knee operations on both knees.
Johnny Robinson: Played in SB IV with broken ribs.
Louie Aguiar: Came back from testicular cancer to punt in NFL.

dollar1
07-08-2005, 10:19 AM
I yield to your superior Chiefs knowledge. Thanks to your insight :clap:

~Back Under Rock~

ChiTown
07-08-2005, 10:26 AM
Tough Chiefs:
Sherrill Headrick: He's in a wheelchair now. Played with dislocated shoulder.
Steve DeBerg: Played with a steel rod in his pinky.
James Hasty: Played with injury every year as a Chief.
Fred Arbanas: Lost an eye in a bar fight.
Jack Rudnay: Held the consecutive start record for Chiefs until Will Shields.
Will Shields: See Rudnay.
EJ Holub: Played linebacker in SB I, Center in SB IV, had multiple knee operations on both knees.
Johnny Robinson: Played in SB IV with broken ribs.
Louie Aguiar: Came back from testicular cancer to punt in NFL.

I'll kick in Otis Taylor. He was the toughest WR in the NFL. He get's special love for going after Ted Hendricks after he speared Dawson.

whoman69
07-08-2005, 10:43 AM
Nobody has said Carl Pederson? :)

Rain Man
07-08-2005, 11:09 AM
I'll kick in Otis Taylor. He was the toughest WR in the NFL. He get's special love for going after Ted Hendricks after he speared Dawson.

I've only seen that clip a couple of times, but I love how Taylor just comes flying into the picture to nail the guy. Wasn't the guy Ben Davidson, though?

You have to love a wide receiver who'll go after a 6-8, 280 lb. lineman.

Freekofnature
07-08-2005, 12:16 PM
The lack of mentioning Youngblood is disappointing.

ChiTown
07-08-2005, 12:28 PM
I've only seen that clip a couple of times, but I love how Taylor just comes flying into the picture to nail the guy. Wasn't the guy Ben Davidson, though?

You have to love a wide receiver who'll go after a 6-8, 280 lb. lineman.

You are absolutely correct. I alwayts flip flop those guys, as they both wore the number 83....of course, Hendricks didn't play with the Raiders until around 74 or 75...I think.

Crush
07-08-2005, 01:48 PM
Double team...double team....look at the papers...papers...double team.

WolfDawg
07-08-2005, 02:41 PM
Otto Graham, he played with a broken jaw in the days before face masks.

vailpass
07-08-2005, 02:58 PM
Randy Moss. He plays every game even though he is missing both testicles.

HemiEd
07-08-2005, 03:32 PM
I would put Mike Webster's picture beside tough in the dictionary. RIP

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/memorial/pit/webster

Webster was the last of the 22 Steelers who played on all four Super Bowl championship teams to leave the team, and the first to die. He refused to leave the lineup even for serious injuries, once playing 6 straight seasons without missing a snap. However, that tough-guy insistence on playing hurt may have led to the brain damage. Webster's doctors said the concussions during his career damaged his frontal lobe, causing cognitive dysfunction.

Webster was famous for his workouts, and he once had a blocking sled in his front yard and a weight set in his back yard. He built himself into a 260-pounder widely considered to be the NFL's strongest player, a 6-time All-Pro player and 9-time Pro Bowl selection. Hall of Famer Joe Greene practiced against Webster daily, and said there were never any walk throughs, the sessions were full-speed and gamelike. "Ernie Holmes and I used to beat him up in practice but, after a couple of years, we couldn't do it anymore,'' Greene said.

Webster was an intimidating sight, baring his massive arms by playing in short sleeves even in subfreezing weather. He sprinted from the huddle before every play, setting the tone for an offense that had four other Hall of Famers: Swann, Stallworth, Harris and Bradshaw.