PDA

View Full Version : Opinions sought on buying a truck

NewChief
07-08-2005, 06:45 AM
Alright,

It looks like I'm finally going to get rid of the crappy subaru that I'm driving and get something different. I'm looking at 4 door trucks in the mid size range because with our new baby a 4-door is a must. All things being equal, I'd get a Toyota Tacoma 4-door. Unfortunately, that's probably out of my price range.

I'm also looking at those Ford sport trax things. Basically an Explorer with a bed. Anyone have any experience with that vehicle? I know it's a little wimpy, but I basically just need something that I can haul crap in (even though it has a small bed) and that is dependable.

Bwana
07-08-2005, 06:48 AM
DO NOT buy an "Exploder" of any kind if you have a second choice. Congrats on the new baby.

stevieray
07-08-2005, 06:53 AM
The bi annual ameican cars suck thread.

StcChief
07-08-2005, 07:06 AM
Check out Nissan Titan 4dr. might also be out of price range though.

Does it have to be brand spankin' new?

Douche Baggins
07-08-2005, 07:08 AM
I hear you can get one cheap down in 'ol mexico.

Sam
07-08-2005, 07:30 AM
CHEVY

There really isn't anything else.

Phobia
07-08-2005, 07:35 AM

I wonder where people got that impression.

I would suggest that you at least look at the Frontier.

HemiEd
07-08-2005, 07:36 AM
Do your new addition a favor and buy a Chevy or Ford. Have you looked at the Colorado? With the incentives they are very affordable.

Sparhawk
07-08-2005, 07:36 AM
Go Nissan or Toyota. Cheaper and more dependable. I've had nothing but good luck with both. 300,000 miles, How many Fords, Dodges or Chevy's can last that long?

stevieray
07-08-2005, 07:39 AM

I don't care where they got it, just that this has been discussed ad nauseum.

Saulbadguy
07-08-2005, 07:41 AM
Ahem..thats American trucks...:)

Dr. Facebook Fever
07-08-2005, 07:42 AM
All things being equal, I'd get a Toyota Tacoma 4-door.
That's the way to go.

HemiEd
07-08-2005, 07:43 AM
Go Nissan or Toyota. Cheaper and more dependable. I've had nothing but good luck with both. 300,000 miles, How many Fords, Dodges or Chevy's can last that long?

My little brother has 270,000 on a Caravan. Toyota and Nissan are not any better.

morphius
07-08-2005, 07:49 AM
My little brother has 270,000 on a Caravan. Toyota and Nissan are not any better.
Hehe, but what does it look like? Most carvan's look like like they have had a run in with a train after a couple years.

Personally, if you have to go full size truck, I would look at the big 3 with all the incentives they are throwing out this month, figure you can get an F150 or CK1500 at a fairly good price right now, and if you can go 2x4 then maybe even a Hemi Dodge. If I were to buy American, I would avoid the base engine and upgrade to the larger engine, they normally seem more reliable. If I was looking at a smaller/midsize truck I would look at the Toyota Tacoma or maybe the Frontier. The wife and I have done a lot of car shopping over the last couple months, and the 265 HP nissan's V6's are just gigglesome!

Sam
07-08-2005, 07:53 AM

I've got one 'Chevy' that's 38 years old and another 'Chevy' that's 34 years old.

stevieray
07-08-2005, 07:55 AM
I've got one 'Chevy' that's 38 years old and another 'Chevy' that's 34 years old.

my first chevy van had 144k, before it got totaled, and my "new" forty year old van has 112k.

HemiEd
07-08-2005, 08:00 AM
Hehe, but what does it look like? Most carvan's look like like they have had a run in with a train after a couple years.

Personally, if you have to go full size truck, I would look at the big 3 with all the incentives they are throwing out this month, figure you can get an F150 or CK1500 at a fairly good price right now, and if you can go 2x4 then maybe even a Hemi Dodge. If I were to buy American, I would avoid the base engine and upgrade to the larger engine, they normally seem more reliable. If I was looking at a smaller/midsize truck I would look at the Toyota Tacoma or maybe the Frontier. The wife and I have done a lot of car shopping over the last couple months, and the 265 HP nissan's V6's are just gigglesome!

Actually it looks suprisingly good for him. He treats his transportation rough. He has no emotional attachment to cars, strange. :hmmm:
This is an excellent time to buy an American car or truck.

Scorp
07-08-2005, 08:10 AM
These are the shiznit!

http://www.burnspot.com/modules/xcgal/albums/userpics/10009/doublebed.jpg

Radar Chief
07-08-2005, 08:23 AM

My í95 S-10 has 130K miles and climbing. Runs strong too, hauls the Corveep to Grand Lake a couple times a year.

Radar Chief
07-08-2005, 08:27 AM

Thatís not exactly fair either. Beer Drinkín Buddy, sidekick to Middle Aged Man (me), has an í85 Yota 4X4 with 225K miles that he wheelís like a mad man and though itís holdín on strong, it looks like, well, this is what it looks like. Not gonna win any ďShow-N-ShineísĒ any time soon.

Goapics1
07-08-2005, 08:29 AM
These are the shiznit!

http://www.burnspot.com/modules/xcgal/albums/userpics/10009/doublebed.jpg
hee hee. ROFL

Radar Chief
07-08-2005, 08:35 AM
Iíve been lookín at trucks myself and my opinion is that, when Iím ready to buy if Jeep hasnít produced the Comanche with the 2.8L turbo diesel like theyíve promised, Iím lookín at Yotaís. The only reason Iíd look full sized is if I can get a good deal on one with at least an extended cab, 4X4 and turbo diesel.
After traveling to Council Bluffs Iowa to pick up some Jeep parts in dadís í04 Dodge 1Ton with the Cummins Turbo Diesel, Iím sold.
Torque thatíll peal the tires loose at just about any legal speed, over 20 MPG and loads of room for 3 full sized men to travel in.

Phobia
07-08-2005, 08:42 AM
The only reason Iíd look full sized is if I can get a good deal on one with at least an extended cab, 4X4 and turbo diesel.

You mean something like this one that is for sale?

NewChief
07-08-2005, 08:43 AM

That's another one in the type that I'm looking at. I've never been a huge fan of Nissans (friend with a piece of shit Pathfinder), but I will look into it.

NewChief
07-08-2005, 08:49 AM
Iíve been lookín at trucks myself and my opinion is that, when Iím ready to buy if Jeep hasnít produced the Comanche with the 2.8L turbo diesel like theyíve promised, Iím lookín at Yotaís. The only reason Iíd look full sized is if I can get a good deal on one with at least an extended cab, 4X4 and turbo diesel.
After traveling to Council Bluffs Iowa to pick up some Jeep parts in dadís í04 Dodge 1Ton with the Cummins Turbo Diesel, Iím sold.
Torque thatíll peal the tires loose at just about any legal speed, over 20 MPG and loads of room for 3 full sized men to travel in.

My brother has a Dodge with a Cummins. Bad arse. He builds log cabins and hauls log trailers with serious tonnage with the thing without any problems.

Soupnazi
07-08-2005, 08:56 AM
That's another one in the type that I'm looking at. I've never been a huge fan of Nissans (friend with a piece of shit Pathfinder), but I will look into it.

Most of those Pathfinders had the old 3.3 L motor, which was a piece of shit. The new Frontiers have the VQ series V6. It's been bored out to 4.0 L now, and consistently has won awards over the last 10 years for it's durability, smoothness and power.

I'd be looking at a Colorado too. GM just extended the employee pricing, and that 5-cylinder motor should be good too.

FWIW, it's freaking ridiculous what new 1/2-ton trucks are going for these days. Sell your damn house to buy a truck.

ChiefsOne
07-08-2005, 08:58 AM
NewChief, I sell cars as a part time business with my family. My dad is picking up a truck this weekend and will have it back first of the week if you are intested.

2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 SLT V8, he said it was very nice. If intersted you can PM me or email me.

Brock
07-08-2005, 08:59 AM
FWIW, it's freaking ridiculous what new 1/2-ton trucks are going for these days. Sell your damn house to buy a truck.

Jeez, I dunno. You can buy a base F150 for under 20k. I realize it will be a stripper, but that's still pretty cheap.

ChiefsOne
07-08-2005, 09:00 AM
Sparhawk Go Nissan or Toyota. Cheaper and more dependable. I've had nothing but good luck with both. 300,000 miles, How many Fords, Dodges or Chevy's can last that long?

BS, I love Nissan and Toyota, but Toyota is now where near cheaper and no more dependable. I see Chevy, Ford and Dodge with 200+ all the time in good shape and still running strong.

Iowanian
07-08-2005, 09:03 AM
If you're in the midwest, and want to Buy a truck from a lot....go to Blair Nebraska.

You'll find what you want, not alot of bullshitting around and a good price.

Get a Ford F150 with the 5.4

Soupnazi
07-08-2005, 09:09 AM
Jeez, I dunno. You can buy a base F150 for under 20k. I realize it will be a stripper, but that's still pretty cheap.

I guess that's true. I was looking a few months ago. 1/2 ton chevy, extended cab, 4-wheel drive, small block motor, moderately optioned out at $36K sticker. Whiskey tango foxtrot?

Radar Chief
07-08-2005, 09:35 AM

If I were closer to being in a position to buy, Iíd be talkín seriously with you Ďbout that one, but right now Iím just lookín, readín, and dreamín.

ENDelt260
07-08-2005, 09:39 AM
You already want to sell that?

Radar Chief
07-08-2005, 09:41 AM
I guess that's true. I was looking a few months ago. 1/2 ton chevy, extended cab, 4-wheel drive, small block motor, moderately optioned out at $36K sticker. Whiskey tango foxtrot?

Right, ya go addín options like a rug, a truck bed, A/C, a motor that wonít leave ya stuck if you drive over a wad of gum, you know luxuries like that, and the price goes up in a hurry. ;)

Phobia
07-08-2005, 10:40 AM
You already want to sell that?

Yeah. I can't get the accessories to enable me to work out of it. They don't make them.

So I'm gonna make a few bucks and find something different. It's a helluva truck, though. I love it otherwise.

Brock
07-08-2005, 10:42 AM
Yeah. I can't get the accessories to enable me to work out of it. They don't make them.

So I'm gonna make a few bucks and find something different. It's a helluva truck, though. I love it otherwise.

What's ballpark on something like that?

Phobia
07-08-2005, 11:10 AM
What's ballpark on something like that?

I plan to ask mid 15's.

I didn't pay that, but I've done some work to it, it has a lot of extras, and it's an Arizona truck. I think the market for it around here will be in my favor. It has a turbodiesel, $600 performance chip, all K&N, lift (obviously), premium sound, wheels & tires, cap,

Biohazard
07-08-2005, 11:13 AM
I bought a 2000 Nissan Frontier crew cab in March V-6 5 speed 4x4, it has 170,000 miles on the clock but it runs great and is in perfect shape. I would recomend it. It gets 20+ mpg Great truck the only downfall is a small bed size 4.5feet. Oh and I paid $7900 for it.

Radar Chief
07-08-2005, 11:52 AM
I plan to ask mid 15's.

I didn't pay that, but I've done some work to it, it has a lot of extras, and it's an Arizona truck. I think the market for it around here will be in my favor. It has a turbodiesel, $600 performance chip, all K&N, lift (obviously), premium sound, wheels & tires, cap,

What year is it? Miles on the clock?

Sparhawk
07-08-2005, 12:01 PM
I'm sorry but I've seen very few American made vehicles with 300,000 or more on them that were still in good operating condition .i.e. without new engines, rebuilt, etc. I see a lot more Jap vehicles that are though. Too I'm not stating that I couldn't be mistaken, only it's my personal opinion based on my luck with vehicles. (Or in other words my terrible luck with American vehicles aside from a 95 S-10 with 65,000.

Phobia
07-08-2005, 12:15 PM
What year is it? Miles on the clock?

97 F250 (converted to 350 with axle and suspension swap) with 180k on the turbodiesel. The lift has about 30k highway miles. The previous owner drove it back and forth from U of Oregon to Phoenix.

Frosty
07-08-2005, 01:51 PM

That's pretty much what I bought in March, except for a few less options. Sticker on mine was $33K. Only paid $25,100.

http://homepage.plix.com/barj/miller/images/Silv%20Front%20small.jpg

Frosty
07-08-2005, 02:01 PM
I should also mention that when we first started looking at pickups, we were originally going to go with a mid-size crew cab. However, the Colorado and Nissan were too small - with tiny beds - and the Tacoma too expensive. A Tundra ext cab was too small in the back and the crew cab very expensive (I didn't like it, either - uncomfortable).

Also, none of the mid-sizes, except the Colorado, got any better mileage than my Silverado.

fan4ever
07-08-2005, 02:34 PM
This may take a little work, but the best way I ever bought a vehicle was going to consumerreports.com. I already had a subscription, so I knew what car I wanted. When I went to their website for $14 they gave me what the car manufacturer charged, the add-ons, destination charges; all that crap they mark up (which I printed out and took with me to the dealership). Then I sat down and did the math.

What you are able to do is determine what they paid for the car (truck) wholesale from the manufacturer, and then you offer them between 6 and 9 percent over their wholesale price which is an acceptable margin for them (you may have to offer 9 percent if it's a hot item).

I told the sales guy at the dealership I knew exactly what they paid for the car I wanted, and gave him the number I was willing to pay (I paid 7 percent over wholesale). I told him if he came back with the manager and tried to play any of that dealership bullcrap, I was gone...and if they accepted my offer, I'd buy at that instant. 10 minutes later I was buying a new car for a price I new was very good. It also helps to go on a slow day (Monday, morning or early afternoon) and towards the very end of the month (they like to move their inventory before then).

I'd suggest you go to the library, find the CR annual new cars issue, pick out the best truck for you, and then hit the website and do what I did. I'll never buy another car any other way.

Radar Chief
07-08-2005, 03:09 PM
97 F250 (converted to 350 with axle and suspension swap) with 180k on the turbodiesel. The lift has about 30k highway miles. The previous owner drove it back and forth from U of Oregon to Phoenix.

Damn, now Iím really regretting not being in a position to buy.
It has the Solid Axle Swap, Dana 60 I presume?
$15K sounds pretty damn reasonable to me, doubt youíll have troubles selling that.