PDA

View Full Version : Pick the FIVE all-time greatest Chiefs on this list. Part 4.

Rain Man
07-08-2005, 11:03 AM
You can do it. Think!

Rain Man
07-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Got some depth on this one. I went with Gonzalez and Grunhard and Gary Green as the no-brainers, and then Trent Green is a solid (and rising) fourth.

For fifth place, I was debating between Charlie Getty (longevity), Kendall Gammon (consistency), Jon Gilliam (longevity/winning), and Dante Hall (electricity). I let my inner 8 year-old make the decision, and went with Dante.

|Zach|
07-08-2005, 11:14 AM
Getty used to be my football coach, he is a good guy.

Rain Man
07-08-2005, 11:18 AM
Stumping for Gary Green. He was a three-time pro-bowler during his seven-year career in Kansas City, and was then traded for the pick that became John Alt. It killed me at the time to lose both Green and Gary Barbaro (defector), but it turned out to be a great trade since we got seven years out of Green and then another dozen out of Alt.

Andoverer
07-08-2005, 11:39 AM
Who's the joker choosing Lin Elliott????

Andoverer
07-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Mike Garrett was on two Superbowl teams. I had to go with that.
Garrett
Trent Green
Tony G
Dante Hall
Grunny

chiefs4me
07-08-2005, 12:14 PM
ought oh...looks like I am the only one so far that chose Scott Fujita...I also chose Donnie Edwards,Tony G,Trent Green and Dante Hall. It's getting harder to choose...

whoman69
07-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Aside from Tony G, no real big names here. Trent is in the top 3 at QB, Grunny was around forever.

CoMoChief
07-08-2005, 01:17 PM
Getty gave me a detention in PE for stuffing a guy in the trash can. I believe it was Nick Doll, Zach.

Im assuming you were the only one to pick Getty.

RedDread
07-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Kendall Gammon!!

HemiEd
07-08-2005, 01:30 PM
Garrett, Green, Grunhard, Tony G. and Dante. Pretty easy five to pick out this list I think.

KChiefs1
07-08-2005, 01:35 PM
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/kc/GGrennKC_169x250.jpg

Gary Green isn't getting much love....he was the Patrick Surtain of his day. :clap:

Looks like a fight between Donnie Edwards & Mike Garrett for 5th place. :hmmm:

Hydrae
07-08-2005, 01:56 PM
Kendall Gammon!!

Gammon is not getting much love on this poll but he gives me such a secure feeling when it comes to special teams.

Crush
07-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Who's the joker choosing Lin Elliott????

To be fair, more blame needs to go to Bono and his 3 INTs then Elliott for that game.

ChiTown
07-08-2005, 02:08 PM

Gary Green isn't getting much love....he was the Patrick Surtain of his day. :clap:

The Gary's - Green and Barbaro were a great CB/S team in the late 70's/early 80's. I still remember watching Barbaro run back a INT for a TD - 102 YDs (NFL record at the time)!

Crush
07-08-2005, 02:08 PM
...and no I wasn't the one who voted for him.

Andoverer
07-08-2005, 02:14 PM
...and no I wasn't the one who voted for him.

Saving that vote for Grbac? :p

Crush
07-08-2005, 02:16 PM
Saving that vote for Grbac? :p

ROFL

chiefz
07-08-2005, 02:25 PM
This is one of the funniest poll results I have ever seen!

Rain Man
07-08-2005, 02:51 PM

Agreed. I'm a big Gary Green fan. For a while (before Barbaro arrived), it seemed like he and Art Still were the only good players on the entire roster.

It was always interesting to me that, even in some of the bad years, we had multiple pro bowlers in defense. Gary Green, Barbaro, Still and Maas were a pretty good crew on teams that never sniffed .500.

milkman
07-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Got some depth on this one. I went with Gonzalez and Grunhard and Gary Green as the no-brainers, and then Trent Green is a solid (and rising) fourth.

For fifth place, I was debating between Charlie Getty (longevity), Kendall Gammon (consistency), Jon Gilliam (longevity/winning), and Dante Hall (electricity). I let my inner 8 year-old make the decision, and went with Dante.

My list of 5 is the same as yours.

My debate for the 5th spot was between Dante and Gammon.

Gammon's near perfection as a long snapper is a really underrated aspect of STs play, but in the end, Dante's contributions outweighed Gammon's.

milkman
07-08-2005, 09:10 PM
To be fair, more blame needs to go to Bono and his 3 INTs then Elliott for that game.

To be even more fair, the blame for that loss rests solely in the hands of Marty and Paul Hackett.

HemiEd
07-08-2005, 09:21 PM
IMO Donnie Edwards was not that great as a Chief, and he has almost caught Garrett?

milkman
07-08-2005, 09:32 PM
IMO Donnie Edwards was not that great as a Chief, and he has almost caught Garrett?

Donnie might be the most overrated player by fans that the Chiefs have ever had.

Phobia
07-08-2005, 10:00 PM

Yup. Totally overrated. Garrett was a great back. How did he end up in SD?

cdcox
07-08-2005, 10:02 PM
Garrett, Gonzalez, G. Green, T. Green, and Grunhard. Fairly deep, but Gonzo is the only superstar on the list.

Skip Towne
07-08-2005, 10:07 PM
Yup. Totally overrated. Garrett was a great back. How did he end up in SD?
The rumor of the day was that Stram didn't get along with black players. And both Garrett and Culp got traded. I can't imagine why we would have wanted to trade either one of those so I tend to believe it. Yes, a lot of black players remained but none of the stature of those two (except maybe 89). Maybe they stayed because they didn't have the trade value of Garrett and Culp and were just happy to have a job.

Logical
07-08-2005, 10:09 PM
Hard to believe this one could be worse than the last one but I really believe only Tony Gonzales merits being on there.

I held my nose and added Dante Hall (special teamers really don't belong IMO) Grunhard, Trent Green (heh he probably deserves it as much as Dawson) and finally ew ick Gary Green.

papasmurf
07-08-2005, 10:10 PM
Garrett, Gonzalez, G. Green, T. Green, and Grunhard. Fairly deep, but Gonzo is the only superstar on the list.

I disagree. Mike Garrett was a stud

stevieray
07-08-2005, 10:11 PM
[QUOTE=Skip Towne]The rumor of the day was that Stram didn't get along with black players. QUOTE]

I don't believe this.

Logical
07-08-2005, 10:13 PM
The rumor of the day was that Stram didn't get along with black players. And both Garrett and Culp got traded. I can't imagine why we would have wanted to trade either one of those so I tend to believe it. Yes, a lot of black players remained but none of the stature of those two (except maybe 89). Maybe they stayed because they didn't have the trade value of Garrett and Culp and were just happy to have a job.

Actually I think you are forgetting a few Skip, Lanier, Buchanan, Bobby Bell and Emmit Thomas all were of the same stature or exceeded the stature of Garrett and Culp. Though I also do not get why we allowed them to escape.

FloridaChief
07-08-2005, 10:14 PM
[QUOTE=Skip Towne]The rumor of the day was that Stram didn't get along with black players. QUOTE]

I don't believe this.

Neither do I. Stram wanted the best players at any position, and the 60's Chiefs were WELL KNOWN for drafting players out of Black-oriented schools..

Logical
07-08-2005, 10:16 PM
I disagree. Mike Garrett was a studSort of true, but he had problems staying healthy and he was only with the Chiefs for 3 full seasons and part of a 4th. He was certainly not the Stud that Priest Holmes has been in the same amount of time and I would say he was well below Christian Okoye.

Logical
07-08-2005, 10:17 PM
Neither do I. Stram wanted the best players at any position, and the 60's Chiefs were WELL KNOWN for drafting players out of Black-oriented schools..More likely he did not get along with those two individuals. Stram was a vindictive SOB when he did not like someone, so my guess is he disliked Culp and Garrett

Logical
07-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Yup. Totally overrated. Garrett was a great back. How did he end up in SD?I believe there were two issues.

1. Inability to stay healthy
2. Did not get along with Stram on a personal level. (there egos were equally large)

FloridaChief
07-08-2005, 10:22 PM
More likely he did not get along with those two individuals. Stram was a vindictive SOB when he did not like someone, so my guess is he disliked Culp and Garrett

I try to read up on everything I can find on the Chiefs in their glory years--I've never heard that Stram had a vendetta against any players. Do you have a link or something?

Skip Towne
07-08-2005, 10:24 PM
Sort of true, but he had problems staying healthy and he was only with the Chiefs for 3 full seasons and part of a 4th. He was certainly not the Stud that Priest Holmes has been in the same amount of time and I would say he was well below Christian Okoye.
I agree with all of this. And like I said, it was the rumor of the day. The other black players that were mentioned like Buchanan and Lanier were finishing their careers and not so inclined to move as Curly and Mike. So why don't one of you geniouses tell me why Culp and Garrett left? Oh, BTW, when we first got Priest I stated on this message board he reminded me of Garrett. While the coaches were saying he was a third down back. I'm a genious.

cdcox
07-08-2005, 10:26 PM
After much research, I have determined that Garrett was traded for a 2nd round pick in the '71 draft, which we used to draft Wilbur Young.

I don't buy that Stramm didn't get along with Blacks. Several had very good things to say about him. I could believe that certain personalities didn't mesh.

Logical
07-08-2005, 10:36 PM
I agree with all of this. And like I said, it was the rumor of the day. The other black players that were mentioned like Buchanan and Lanier were finishing their careers and not so inclined to move as Curly and Mike. So why don't one of you geniouses tell me why Culp and Garrett left? Oh, BTW, when we first got Priest I stated on this message board he reminded me of Garrett. While the coaches were saying he was a third down back. I'm a genious.Lanier played 8 more seasons until 78, Emmitt Thomas 8 more until 1978, Buchanan 5 years more until 1975, Otis Taylor 5 more seasons to 1975, and Bobby Bell four more until 74 so Skip none of them were at the end of their careers.

Logical
07-08-2005, 10:38 PM
I agree with all of this. And like I said, it was the rumor of the day. The other black players that were mentioned like Buchanan and Lanier were finishing their careers and not so inclined to move as Curly and Mike. So why don't one of you geniouses tell me why Culp and Garrett left? Oh, BTW, when we first got Priest I stated on this message board he reminded me of Garrett. While the coaches were saying he was a third down back. I'm a genious.
Well if you are genious I am Carnac the Magnificent because befor the season started I projected Priest for over 1200 rushing yards and 600 receiving yards.:p

Logical
07-08-2005, 10:43 PM
I try to read up on everything I can find on the Chiefs in their glory years--I've never heard that Stram had a vendetta against any players. Do you have a link or something?No my stepfather new him personally and I have met him and talked with him twice, nice most of the time but if you think I am an Arrogant SOB you have seen nothing until you actually met him. I heard him talk shit about a couple of players, his players, and I can tell you for a fact just like Schottenheimer he put a bounty on certain opposing players. He for example detested Ben Davidson and wanted the team to "injure that SOB"

cdcox
07-08-2005, 10:59 PM
He for example detested Ben Davidson and wanted the team to "injure that SOB"

I'm pretty much okay with that.

Logical
07-08-2005, 11:04 PM
I'm pretty much okay with that.Yeah me too, of course there were only a few Raider players back then I did not detest.