PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Old Timers Day

penchief
07-09-2005, 12:34 PM
I know, I know.......most of you hate the Yankees but Old Timers Day is, not only special for Yankee fans, but is a great spectacle for all of baseball, IMO. I know there is a lot of envy toward the Yanks but what makes them great is not the money they have that others don't, but the feats that average players have contributed to their historical accomplishments. For every Reggie there is a Jim Leyritz and Joe Pepitone. Add to that the Yogis, Whiteys, and Munsons.

No matter how true it is that the Yankees may be the scurge of baseball when considering the financial aspects of the sport, they have also contributed greatly to the historical significance of baseball as an American tradition.

In short, the Yankee tradition may be the single most influential aspect of baseball. You either love them or hate them. And while Yankee haters hate them for the right reasons (their unfair advantage), Yankee fans love them because they know that it is Yankee pride that produces championships and not their financial advantage.

For me, it's all about Munson and Mattingly.

leviw
07-09-2005, 12:40 PM
You either love them or hate them. And while Yankee haters hate them for the right reasons (their unfair advantage), Yankee fans love them because they know that it is Yankee pride that produces championships and not their financial advantage.

Nope. I'm sure of it. I hate 'em.

Calcountry
07-09-2005, 01:42 PM
I know, I know.......most of you hate the Yankees but Old Timers Day is, not only special for Yankee fans, but is a great spectacle for all of baseball, IMO. I know there is a lot of envy toward the Yanks but what makes them great is not the money they have that others don't, but the feats that average players have contributed to their historical accomplishments. For every Reggie there is a Jim Leyritz and Joe Pepitone. Add to that the Yogis, Whiteys, and Munsons.

No matter how true it is that the Yankees may be the scurge of baseball when considering the financial aspects of the sport, they have also contributed greatly to the historical significance of baseball as an American tradition.

In short, the Yankee tradition may be the single most influential aspect of baseball. You either love them or hate them. And while Yankee haters hate them for the right reasons (their unfair advantage), Yankee fans love them because they know that it is Yankee pride that produces championships and not their financial advantage.

For me, it's all about Munson and Mattingly.I love to hate them. Kind of like, "Who shot JR Ewing?" from the TV show Dallas. If I have my choice of games to watch and the A's aren't playing and the Yankees are, I will watch that and root against them. Very entertaining, almost to the level of rooting against them in the playoffs and WS.

I am use to it, so there you go.

You don't catch me rooting for the Indians over the Mariners.

Props to the Yanks, I mean they have won 26 World Championships, that says it all.

Just don't look back too much otherwise that will be all you have. ;)

JimNasium
07-09-2005, 02:34 PM
I hate baseball period and I think it's funny that guys like Steinbrenner seem set on destroying the game because they are so greedy.

Calcountry
07-09-2005, 03:20 PM
I hate baseball period and I think it's funny that guys like Steinbrenner seem set on destroying the game because they are so greedy.Steinbrenner just wants to win, and the rest of baseball lets him. Can't blame a guy for playing to win.

Skip Towne
07-09-2005, 03:27 PM
Steinbrenner just wants to win, and the rest of baseball lets him. Can't blame a guy for playing to win.
I hope the greedy bastard brings baseball to its knees. And he's left standing there with a big bag of nothing.

Calcountry
07-09-2005, 03:30 PM
I hope the greedy bastard brings baseball to its knees. And he's left standing there with a big bag of nothing.If the rest of the fools in baseball are dumb enough to let him, then may he do it quickly. The sooner the better. God forbid the Marlins or Red Sox win it every now and then. This only serves to keep people like DeBerg's hopes up.

Brando
07-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Yuck the Fankees

Calcountry
07-09-2005, 04:00 PM
Yuck the FankeesAnother quality post of the type that Skip has been harping on, right Clem?

KChiefs1
07-09-2005, 04:09 PM
You might be interested in the upcoming HBO show about Mickey Mantle too.

Dave Lane
07-09-2005, 04:13 PM
I'm a Thurman Munson fan myself. He is now a good Yankee. I hope all other Yankees current and past join him very soon.

Dave

Calcountry
07-09-2005, 04:29 PM
I'm a Thurman Munson fan myself. He is now a good Yankee. I hope all other Yankees current and past join him very soon.

DaveThat is low class and in poor taste. How would you like it if a Raider fan said it was good that Joe Delaney drowned? :shake::mad:

Neg rep to you .

Skip Towne
07-09-2005, 05:46 PM
That is low class and in poor taste. How would you like it if a Raider fan said it was good that Joe Delaney drowned? :shake::mad:

Neg rep to you .
Settle down, Orlin.

DJay23
07-09-2005, 05:47 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the ass raping they got at the hands of their arch nemeses last year. The Yankees can **** right off.

|Zach|
07-09-2005, 05:47 PM

Dave
:shake:

Calcountry
07-09-2005, 05:58 PM
Settle down, Orlin.ROFL, a new one. Why don't you enlighten me since I don't know the story behind this name either. You nettlesome fughead.