PDA

View Full Version : Will Ferrell

Logical
07-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Decent to Great comic actor

Horrible F*cking serious actor.

One of my daughters wanted to see it and I went with her today to see Bewitched. When he was trying to be funny he did a good to great job when he was in the portions of the film that attempt to be serious man was he horrible I mean putrid. This always seems to be the case.

Anybody think of any exceptions.

Rain Man
07-09-2005, 07:33 PM
I think Robin Williams has been able to make the leap. I haven't always liked his movies, and he's far better being funny, but he's not necessarily a bad actor.

I can see Will Ferrell not making that leap, though.

Ultra Peanut
07-09-2005, 07:35 PM
I think he meant exceptions in the case of Ferrell, not comedy-to-drama success stories in general. There are lots of those, and in fact, it seems to be the more predominant path taken when it comes to actors crossing over and succeeding.

Also, if "You're my boy, Blue... you're my boy" didn't rip your heart out, you're not human!

|Zach|
07-09-2005, 07:37 PM
I think Ferrell's humor was so self depricating so often and that makes it a little tough to be serious because any other time he has been serious it has been in a funny manner to make fun of himself. I don't remember Robin William's stand up type stuff being like that.

I also have no desire to see bewitched.

whoman69
07-09-2005, 07:40 PM
Coincidence that Ron Burgundy is on HBO now.

CoMoChief
07-09-2005, 07:51 PM
I think Ferrell's humor was so self depricating so often and that makes it a little tough to be serious because any other time he has been serious it has been in a funny manner to make fun of himself. I don't remember Robin William's stand up type stuff being like that.

I also have no desire to see bewitched.

Yeah well....................YOU SUCK!!!!

Demonpenz
07-09-2005, 07:53 PM
robin williams went to like a really big time acting school he was trained for on stage drama. I think he was doing the drama stuff before happy days

Demonpenz
07-09-2005, 07:54 PM
i thought jim carrey was good in enternal sunshine

luv
07-09-2005, 08:02 PM
Tom Hanks started out in stand-up comedy. He definitely was successful in crossing over to drama. As for Will, he's yet to make a movie that hasn't, in some ways, reminded me of SNL skits.

gblowfish
07-09-2005, 08:03 PM
He should stick to imitating Neil Diamond.

Or playing more cowbell.

He IS the best at doing George W.

Drama? Not so much...

the Talking Can
07-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Decent to Great comic actor

Horrible F*cking serious actor.

One of my daughters wanted to see it and I went with her today to see Bewitched. When he was trying to be funny he did a good to great job when he was in the portions of the film that attempt to be serious man was he horrible I mean putrid. This always seems to be the case.

yeah, Ferrell is great at what he does...but he'll never cross over, at least I hope he doesn't think he can

I don't like Carey either when he attempts drama..except Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, as someone else mentioned...a great movie and Ferrell could never pull something like that off

Ultra Peanut
07-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Carrey was also very good in Man on the Moon.

jAZ
07-09-2005, 08:37 PM
I think Robin Williams has been able to make the leap. I haven't always liked his movies, and he's far better being funny, but he's not necessarily a bad actor.

Robin Williams trained at Julliard. He sorta backed into the comedy thing which made him famous.

There are some pretty great comedians/comic actors who were able to make the switch to dramatic actors very successfully...

Robin Williams (Dead Poets Society, The Fisher King, Hamlet, Good Will Hunting, Insomnia, One Hour Photo)

Tom Hanks (Punchline, Philadelphia, Saving Private Ryan, Road to Perdition, Cast Away ... and on and on.)

Bill Murray (Lost in Translation, Rushmore, etc)

Jim Carrey (The Truman Show, Man on the Moon, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Majestic)

Will Smith (Ali)

Jamie Foxx (Ali, Ray, Collateral)

Adam Sandler (Punch-Drunk Love, Spanglish)

John Travolta (Pulp Fiction, A Civil Action, The Thin Red Line)

Woody Harrelson (The People vs. Larry Flynt, Indecent Proposal, Natural Born Killers)

John Cusack (Runaway Jury, The Thin Red Line, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, The Grifters)

KCChiefsMan
07-09-2005, 08:49 PM
I think you can add Eddie Murphy to that list. Distinguished gentleman, 48 hrs, there are some others but they may not have been labeled as dramas but close enough..

Ultra Peanut
07-09-2005, 08:51 PM
Jamie Foxx (Ali, Ray, Collateral) Probably the most surprising breakout star ever, at least to me. If you'd told me a few years ago that JAMIE FRICKING FOXX was about to become a big star, I'd have told you to go away and stop ****ing around.

milkman
07-09-2005, 08:52 PM
I have yet to see Will Ferrell do anything I like at all.

I always thought he sucked in SNL.

And the movies I've seen make me wonder why the hell anyone would cast him in any freakin' role.

Simply stated, Will Ferrell sucks, and any movie that he's in, I will just take a pass on.

There are a number of comedians that are bad, and a number of actors that are bad, but none of them have achieved Will Ferrell's level of suckage.

Ultra Peanut
07-09-2005, 08:52 PM
You suck, gramps.

DJay23
07-09-2005, 09:01 PM
I have yet to see Will Ferrell do anything I like at all.

I always thought he sucked in SNL.

And the movies I've seen make me wonder why the hell anyone would cast him in any freakin' role.

Simply stated, Will Ferrell sucks, and any movie that he's in, I will just take a pass on.

There are a number of comedians that are bad, and a number of actors that are bad, but none of them have achieved Will Ferrell's level of suckage.
This was a fairly crotchety post.

Can you pinpoint your disdain for Ferrell? I've always thought he's hilarious. One of the best deadpan comic actors out there now.

milkman
07-09-2005, 09:34 PM
This was a fairly crotchety post.

Can you pinpoint your disdain for Ferrell? I've always thought he's hilarious. One of the best deadpan comic actors out there now.

Pinpoint?

I don't think so.

He has never, ever, done anything to make me laugh.

DJay23
07-09-2005, 09:41 PM
Pinpoint?

I don't think so.

He has never, ever, done anything to make me laugh.
Perhaps your powers of funny perception are failing you.

:p

ENDelt260
07-09-2005, 09:46 PM

Difference being Jamie Foxx was never a good comedian/comic actor.

How Wanda the Ugly Girl became Ray I'll never understand. Just how much fellatio has lil Jamie performed over the years?

milkman
07-09-2005, 09:50 PM
Perhaps your powers of funny perception are failing you.

Was that supposed to be funny? :rolleyes:

Ultra Peanut
07-09-2005, 09:54 PM
Difference being Jamie Foxx was never a good comedian/comic actor.

How Wanda the Ugly Girl became Ray I'll never understand. Just how much fellatio has lil Jamie performed over the years?

arrowhead20
07-09-2005, 09:58 PM
yea who the hell are you? if we wanted your clearly subjective point of view we'd beat it out of you,
Ferrell is one of the funniest comedians to ever come from SNL, hence the 2 volumes of the best of Will Ferrell.
he has a one of a kind sense of humor, and can do a completely obnoxious scene w/o cracking a smile while every one else is cracking up.
dont hate the man because he makes good money doing what hes good at.
nobosy posts on here saying your'e a horrible janitor!!!

patteeu
07-09-2005, 09:59 PM
If Adam Sandler can make the leap, Will Ferrell can. I suppose it's debateable as to whether or not Sandler has made that leap, but I think he's done a much better job than I expected.

arrowhead20
07-09-2005, 10:02 PM
sidewinder, then who is a comedian that has made you laugh? you probably like cartoons huh?

Zebedee DuBois
07-09-2005, 10:03 PM
While Ferrell did stuff on SNL that made me laugh... I have no desire to spend money to see him in a movie. He is not that funny. His acting sucks. Sure, he can do schticks, but he can't act.

The same goes for Adam Sandler.

milkman
07-09-2005, 10:17 PM
sidewinder, then who is a comedian that has made you laugh? you probably like cartoons huh?

Yeah, actually I do like Cartoons.

Red Skelton made me laugh.
George Carlin.
Rodney Dangerfield
Sam Kennison
Richard Pryor
Lewis Black
John Belushi
Bill Murray
Jeff Foxworthy
Bill Engvall
Jerry Seinfield

That's just a few.
There are a hell of a lot more, I just gave a sample variety

Zebedee DuBois
07-09-2005, 10:20 PM
I would throw in Steve Martin as someone who can be extremely funny and also is a pretty talented actor.

stevieray
07-09-2005, 10:21 PM

Denis Leary

Count Alex's Losses
07-09-2005, 10:22 PM
I'm going to see Bewitched, just so I can see Nicole Kidman wiggle her nose.

milkman
07-09-2005, 10:23 PM
Denis Leary

I would throw in Steve Martin as someone who can be extremely funny and also is a pretty talented actor.

I agree with both of these.

Ultra Peanut
07-09-2005, 10:23 PM
While Ferrell did stuff on SNL that made me laugh... I have no desire to spend money to see him in a movie.
http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/mp3s.cgi?Old_School=earmuffs.mp3

Logical
07-09-2005, 11:02 PM

Yes, Robin Williams turned out to really suprise me as a serious actor. Kind of wish he would mix in the old comic Robin Williams on occasion again. Man was he funny.

Logical
07-09-2005, 11:05 PM
i thought jim carrey was good in enternal sunshine
Other than that was a really odd move, I do agree he handled it well, much better than his other attempts at being serious.

Deleted I just realized Spanglish is Adam Sandler not Carey.

Logical
07-09-2005, 11:13 PM
Robin Williams trained at Julliard. He sorta backed into the comedy thing which made him famous.

There are some pretty great comedians/comic actors who were able to make the switch to dramatic actors very successfully...

Robin Williams (Dead Poets Society, The Fisher King, Hamlet, Good Will Hunting, Insomnia, One Hour Photo)

Tom Hanks (Punchline, Philadelphia, Saving Private Ryan, Road to Perdition, Cast Away ... and on and on.)

Jim Carrey (The Truman Show, Man on the Moon, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Majestic)

Will Smith (Ali)

Woody Harrelson (The People vs. Larry Flynt, Indecent Proposal, Natural Born Killers)

John Cusack (Runaway Jury, The Thin Red Line, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, The Grifters)

Wow great list but I guess I never realized Hanks and Cusack had been comic actors.

Guess I did not think those two movies by Murray were serious because I laughed so much while watching them. I viewed them more as quirky comedies than dramactic movies.

Logical
07-09-2005, 11:23 PM
I would throw in Steve Martin as someone who can be extremely funny and also is a pretty talented actor.Now there is a really good addition. I believe that Eddie Murphy could do it if he found the right part.

Jesus, I forgot one of the Best Whoopi Goldberg, not only is she hilarious but she is fantastic when she decides to take on a serious role. Color Purple and Ghost as the best examples, did anyone else realize that she has acted in 85 films?

Logical
07-09-2005, 11:24 PM
I'm going to see Bewitched, just so I can see Nicole Kidman wiggle her nose.

In all honesty I would recommend you wait for the video to be released.

luv
07-09-2005, 11:27 PM
Wow great list but I guess I never realized Hanks and Cusack had been comic actors.

Guess I did not think those two movies by Murray were serious because I laughed so much while watching them. I viewed them more as quirky comedies than dramactic movies.
Not that they were extremely funny, but Tom Hanks did:

The Comic
Joe vs the Volcano
The Money Pit
Ladykillers
Big (who wouldn't like to act like a 13 yr old...well, and get paid millions for doing so)

And who can forget Bossom Buddies?
He did stand-up before that.

oaklandhater
07-09-2005, 11:33 PM

Will Smith (Ali)

you forgot that Robin Williams was Also in What Dreams May Come,one of his frist serious roles.

T-post Tom
07-10-2005, 12:34 AM
you forgot that Robin Williams was Also in What Dreams May Come,one of his frist serious roles.

"The World According To Garp" was a wonderful movie. Circa 1982, it's a great early performance by Williams. Great cast, including Glenn Close as Williams mother; Mary Beth Hurt as his wife; & John Lithgow as an ex-NFL player that becomes a transsexual. (Williams mentioned in an interview that he still calls Glen Close "mom" to this day.)

Logical
07-10-2005, 01:47 AM
Well I watched Spanglish tonight and enjoyed the movie. I though Sandler did a credible and pretty decent job as a serious actor.:clap:

Rausch
07-10-2005, 03:09 AM
I've never really found the guy funny. Ever. In anything.

But then I'm no fan of any of the "newer (94 or after)" SNL comedians...

DaWolf
07-10-2005, 05:05 AM
I'm curious to see how Jack Black pulls off his role in King King...