PDA

View Full Version : NFT: Memory Foam Mattress

The Bad Guy
07-11-2005, 08:06 AM
I'm sure someone out there has purchased this mattress and was soliciting opinions before I made the plunge.

My mattress now is killing my back and need a new one desperately.

Anyone have any feedback on this?

This is the one I'm looking at..

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?page=proframe&prod_id=1150841

Fire Me Boy!
07-11-2005, 08:14 AM
Don't know... never slept on one... but look at the picture of it... it magically HOVERS off the ground with NO support at all! That's gotta be worth SOMETHING!

http://images.overstock.com/f/102/3117/8h/www.overstock.com/images/products/P1015449.jpg

Kerberos
07-11-2005, 08:20 AM
I have a memory foam mattress and when it was NEW 2 years ago it was DA'Bomb .... 2 years later it is memoried to my fat ass and has a pemanent indention to where I sleep. It is a Corsicanna matress and it is one sided as far as the memory foam goes so I can't flip it I can only rotate it. Yea my wife wants to sleep in the whole my ass left on my side ... NOT.

If and when I buy another mattress I am going to look hard at a sleep by number mattress since I have heard NOTHING but good things from people that have bought one and LOVE THEM to death.

my.02

:)

The Bad Guy
07-11-2005, 08:23 AM
I have a memory foam mattress and when it was NEW 2 years ago it was DA'Bomb .... 2 years later it is memoried to my fat ass and has a pemanent indention to where I sleep. It was a Corsicanna matress and it is one sided as far as the memory foam goes so I can't flip it I can only rotate it. Yea my wife wants to sleep in the whole my ass left on my side ... NOT.

If and when I buy another mattress I am going to look hard at a sleep by number mattress since I have heard NOTHING but good things from people that have bought one and LOVE THEM to death.

my.02

Gracias. I will stay away then.

I will look into the sleep by number mattress.

morphius
07-11-2005, 08:24 AM

The key with those is if you have a bad back and get a Doc to prescribe that you get one. Then you can write it off...

Saulbadguy
07-11-2005, 08:24 AM
Don't buy a memory foam matress that doesn't say "Tempur-Pedic" on it.

Bwana
07-11-2005, 08:26 AM
I have never had the bed, but had a set of the pillows. I was not impressed at all, to cut to the chase. I would stick with a good quality regular mattress. I nice one will last for AT LEAST 10 years if you rotate the mattress like you should.

The Bad Guy
07-11-2005, 08:27 AM
Well, can't afford the sleep by numbers mattress right now.

Found this memory foam mattress on another site, looks much better than overstock and cheaper too.

http://www.sleepwarehouse.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=22

The Bad Guy
07-11-2005, 08:32 AM
I have never had the bed, but had a set of the pillows. I was not impressed at all, to cut to the chase. I would stick with a good quality regular mattress. I nice one will last for AT LEAST 10 years if you rotate the mattress like you should.

Yeah, mine is 11 years old, which I didn't realize until the other day.

Since I can't afford the Tempur, I'm going to start looking around local stores.

Saulbadguy
07-11-2005, 08:34 AM
If you can't afford the Tempur, don't buy a memory foam anything. Its not the real deal. Stick with a standard mattress.

Bwana
07-11-2005, 08:35 AM
Yeah, mine is 11 years old, which I didn't realize until the other day.

Since I can't afford the Tempur, I'm going to start looking around local stores.
I know some of those seem like a lot of money, but buy the best one you can afford even if you have to make the payments for a year or something. Just remember, your back will be on it for at least the next 10 years. It's a good investment.

The way I look at it, you are going to use it every night and you are likely going to own it a lot longer than your next car!

HC_Chief
07-11-2005, 09:43 AM
I can attest to the SleepNumber bed... I frigging love mine.

They have a factory outlet that sells 'em cheap (google Select Comfort). I think they're refurbs or the ones people try out then return. Either way, they're sanitized and resealed. Cost about one-third of what a brand new one costs.

Fezzic
07-11-2005, 09:56 AM
I made the investment in a king size tempur about 3-4 years ago, and I can't sleep on anything else anymore. The bed is AMAZING, and I'd give blood 3 times a day to afford another one :)

Kerberos
07-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Well, can't afford the sleep by numbers mattress right now.

Found this memory foam mattress on another site, looks much better than overstock and cheaper too.

http://www.sleepwarehouse.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=22

JEEEEZUUUUS

Just went to selectcomfort.com and went through their bed wizard and got a price on the bed I wanted .... $3700

Christ I can see why you said that you were going to look at something else.

BUT ... If I decide to buy one of these I will do like one of the guys I talked to and get the basic mattress setup and build my OWN foundation and frame and have only the investment of the dual chamber mattress.

Hey ... if I can get a better nights rest I will invest $500 to $1000 on just the mattress ... you know their markup and proffits are in all the EXTRAS anyway.

:D

Dave Lane
07-11-2005, 10:54 AM
I have a memory foam mattress and when it was NEW 2 years ago it was DA'Bomb .... 2 years later it is memoried to my fat ass and has a pemanent indention to where I sleep. It is a Corsicanna matress and it is one sided as far as the memory foam goes so I can't flip it I can only rotate it. Yea my wife wants to sleep in the whole my ass left on my side ... NOT.

my.02

Sleep number beds are the worst pieces of crap ever sold. HATE THEM!! Trust me they suck.

Dave

Dave Lane
07-11-2005, 10:55 AM
Tempur is the way to go. As little as $1300 buys a King...

Dave

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4393091611&ssPageName=MERC_VI_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores

BIG_DADDY
07-11-2005, 11:13 AM
Tempurpedic rules especially if you are a bigger guy. Not only will it save your back and neck, it will save your shoulders as well. Pop sells those and now just signed on to be a dealer for Traeger smokers. I am going to go pick up both in the next month or so. Cost plus no sales tax, gotta love it.