PDA

View Full Version : Legendary coach Gene Stephenson bolts to OU

Saulbadguy
07-11-2005, 07:41 AM
Sorry, WuShucks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2105113

NORMAN, Okla. -- Longtime Wichita State coach Gene Stephenson was hired as the new coach at Oklahoma on Sunday, succeeding Larry Cochell, who resigned last season after using a racial slur during off-camera interviews.

The 59-year-old Stephenson, who ranks second in Division I career victories, returns to the program for which he was a recruiting coordinator and hitting instructor for five seasons in the 1970s. He replaces former Oral Roberts coach Sunny Galloway, who took over as interim coach when Cochell resigned May 1.

Cochell, who won more than 500 games and the 1994 College World Series title in 14 seasons at Oklahoma, stepped down two days after using a racial slur during interviews with two ESPN reporters before a game against Wichita State.

Stephenson, who will be officially introduced Monday, has a career coaching record of 1,506-489-3, second in victories to Texas' Augie Garrido (1,542). Stephenson's .754 winning percentage is the best among active coaches with at least five years at the Division I level.

"The hardest thing I've had to do my whole life is leave Wichita State," said Stephenson, a native of Guthrie, Okla. "I poured my heart and soul into that program for 28 years. I always said there was only one job I would even consider, and I mean anywhere, and that's the University of Oklahoma."

Stephenson spent five years as an assistant for Enos Semore's Oklahoma teams that won five straight Big Eight titles and made the NCAA Tournament each season. Stephenson left Norman in 1977 to take over a Wichita State baseball program that had been dormant for seven seasons.

Stephenson guided the Shockers to a 65-win season in 1979, and their first NCAA Tournament appearance in 1980. It was the first of 23 NCAA Tournament appearances for Wichita State, which won the College World Series in 1989.

In Stephenson's 28 seasons, the Shockers went to the College World Series seven times and won 15 Missouri Valley Conference titles.

HemiEd
07-11-2005, 07:47 AM
My first thought was one of rage, but the more I think about it, time for a change. The Shocks have plenty of qualified Alumni to give the program strong guidence. How about Gene's little brother Phil?

Scaga
07-11-2005, 08:45 AM
I'm a little surprised that he left, but not dissappointed. It's time for a change at WSU. The next guy that comes in will inherit quite a facility and attendance base.

You should see the Wichita Eagle today....you'd think the guy died. Front page news, and then about 4-5 pages dedicated to his accomplishments in the sports section.

Braincase
07-11-2005, 09:01 AM
I'm a little surprised that he left, but not dissappointed. It's time for a change at WSU. The next guy that comes in will inherit quite a facility and attendance base.

You should see the Wichita Eagle today....you'd think the guy died. Front page news, and then about 4-5 pages dedicated to his accomplishments in the sports section.

Anytime there was a vacancy at OU, Stephenson's name was top of the list. No real surprise, but to be frank, I thought he was older.

WilliamTheIrish
07-11-2005, 09:37 AM

I hope they dedicated one entire page to Anthony Molina's eye.

F*ck Gene Stephenson.

KCChiefsMan
07-11-2005, 10:22 AM
at first I was thinking....basketball? football??
then

oh...baseball

who cares

Saulbadguy
07-11-2005, 10:39 AM
football??

ROFL

HemiEd
07-11-2005, 10:40 AM
at first I was thinking....basketball? football??
then

oh...baseball

who cares

That would be the correct response for KU Baseball. ho hum

Saulbadguy
07-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Well, it looks like Gene is staying. :shrug:
WuShuckers can rejoice.

Stephenson cites scholarship issues as reason
Associated Press

NORMAN, Okla. -- Just hours after a news conference announcing he would be the new head baseball coach at Oklahoma, Gene Stephenson decided late Monday to remain with the Wichita State program.

In a statement released on the Wichita State Web site, Stephenson cited "unresolvable" scholarship issues as the reason for his about-face.

"We are very appreciative for the opportunity to coach at the University of Oklahoma," Stephenson said. "... We have worked over the years at Wichita State in order to use our scholarships and to plan for the use of our future scholarships.

"As we assessed the Oklahoma baseball scholarship situation, we would be too limited in our ability to take the program in the direction that we think it should go."

Tears filled Stephenson's eyes and he periodically stopped to compose himself when he was introduced as the new Sooners coach Monday morning.

The owner of the highest winning percentage among active NCAA Division I baseball coaches, Stephenson was flanked by pitching coach Brent Kemnitz and assistant coach Jim Thomas, veteran assistants who also were to move from Wichita State to Oklahoma.

Stephenson was to replace Sunny Golloway, who took over on an interim basis when Larry Cochell resigned May 1 after using a racial slur during interviews with two ESPN reporters.

He completed his 28th season as head coach at Wichita State in 2005 after leading the Shockers to their 23rd NCAA Tournament appearance. The 51 wins in 2005 marked the 18th time Stephenson led the team to 50 or more wins in a season.

Oklahoma officials didn't immediately return telephone calls seeking comment late Monday.

Coach
07-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Huh, strange.

ChiTown
07-11-2005, 10:33 PM
Wouldn't Gene have looked into that before he accepted the OU job and was introduced as their new head coach?

whatadumbass

Saulbadguy
07-11-2005, 10:35 PM
He would have fit well in the Big XII. Instead of a $10 mil athletic budget, he would have had a $50 mil athletic budget.

He could also face off vs the winningest (Gene is the 2nd winningest) coach in NCAA history. Augie Garrido.

Saggysack
07-11-2005, 11:38 PM
F*ck Gene Stephenson.

I've been saying that for the past 2 or 3yrs. It finally hit me a couple years ago that the best thing for the WSU baseball program would be to rid itself of Stephenson & Co.. I know that sounds slightly crazy to say that with the kind of coach he is but, they have been tied down by mediocrity, atleast by WSU baseball standards for a good decade. Time to move on. I'm just glad he realized the same.

Saggysack
07-11-2005, 11:42 PM
Well, it looks like Gene is staying. :shrug:
WuShuckers can rejoice.

Stephenson cites scholarship issues as reason
Associated Press

NORMAN, Okla. -- Just hours after a news conference announcing he would be the new head baseball coach at Oklahoma, Gene Stephenson decided late Monday to remain with the Wichita State program.

In a statement released on the Wichita State Web site, Stephenson cited "unresolvable" scholarship issues as the reason for his about-face.

"We are very appreciative for the opportunity to coach at the University of Oklahoma," Stephenson said. "... We have worked over the years at Wichita State in order to use our scholarships and to plan for the use of our future scholarships.

"As we assessed the Oklahoma baseball scholarship situation, we would be too limited in our ability to take the program in the direction that we think it should go."

Tears filled Stephenson's eyes and he periodically stopped to compose himself when he was introduced as the new Sooners coach Monday morning.

The owner of the highest winning percentage among active NCAA Division I baseball coaches, Stephenson was flanked by pitching coach Brent Kemnitz and assistant coach Jim Thomas, veteran assistants who also were to move from Wichita State to Oklahoma.

Stephenson was to replace Sunny Golloway, who took over on an interim basis when Larry Cochell resigned May 1 after using a racial slur during interviews with two ESPN reporters.

He completed his 28th season as head coach at Wichita State in 2005 after leading the Shockers to their 23rd NCAA Tournament appearance. The 51 wins in 2005 marked the 18th time Stephenson led the team to 50 or more wins in a season.

Oklahoma officials didn't immediately return telephone calls seeking comment late Monday.

Damnit! :banghead:

Will someone please take this dinosaur to the museum.

And here I thought the program finally has a new fresh outlook. Too fuggin bad we are stuck with the same damn old fart.