PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Workers Say They Waste 2 Hours A Day

4th and Long
07-11-2005, 05:17 PM
U.S. Workers Say They Waste 2 Hours A Day
Personal Internet Use Ranks As Top Time-Wasting Activity

The average U.S. worker admits to wasting more than two hours a day at the workplace, according to a new survey conducted by America Online and Salary.com.

The survey found that the wasted time was double what employers expect and costs U.S. companies up to $759 billion a year.

How are workers spending that wasted time?

Top 10 Time-Wasting Activities

1. Surfing Internet (personal use)
2. Socializing with co-workers
3. Conducting personal business
4. Spacing out
5. Running errands off-premises
6. Making personal phone calls
7. Applying for other jobs
8. Planning personal events
9. Arriving late -- Leaving early
10. Other

According to the survey, most workers -- 44 percent -- used the time for personal Internet use, such as emails, message boards and chat rooms.

About 23 percent said they wasted time socializing with co-workers.

Other popular time-wasting activities cited in the survey included conducting personal business, "spacing out," running errands and making personal phone calls.

Bill Coleman, senior vice president at Salary.com, said employers build a certain amount of slacking off into the salary structure.

Coleman said employers expect workers to waste about an hour a day -- plus lunch.

"Our survey results show that workers on average are wasting a little more than twice what their employers expect. That's a startling figure," said Coleman.

But Coleman said in some cases, the wasted time turns into something positive for the company.

"Although in some cases this extra wasted time might be considered 'creative waste' -- time that may well have a positive impact on the company's culture, work environment, and even business results. Personal Internet use and casual office conversations often turn into new business ideas or suggestions for gaining operating efficiencies," he added.

According to the survey, the most popular excuse for wasting time at work was not having enough work to do.

Nearly a quarter of those surveyed said they squandered their work hours because they were underpaid.

Top 5 Excuses for Time-Wasting

1. Don't have enough work to do
2. Underpaid for amount of work I do
3. Co-workers distract me
4. Not enough evening or weekend time
5. Other

The survey found that men and women waste about the same amount of time per day at work, despite the fact that most HR managers surveyed suspected that women waste more time than men.

The survey also found that older workers tend to waste less time at work than younger workers.

Workers over 55 years old wasted an average of just 30 minutes a day, according to the survey.

America Online and Salary.com interviewed 10,044 workers in the online survey.

Top 10 Time-Wasting States

1. Missouri -- 3.2 Hrs/Day ROFL
2. Indiana -- 2.8 Hrs/Day
3. Kentucky -- 2.8 Hrs/Day
4. Wisconsin -- 2.8 Hrs/Day
5. Nevada -- 2.7 Hrs/Day
6. Oklahoma -- 2.7 Hrs/Day
7. Virginia -- 2.7 Hrs/Day
8. Pennsylvania -- 2.6 Hrs/day
9. Connecticut -- 2.5 Hrs/day
10. Idaho -- 2.5 Hrs/day

We're not wasting time. We are just terribly efficient at our jobs and get the work done early. :D

Pants
07-11-2005, 05:19 PM
7 probably sounds awfully familiar to Rainman.

Miles
07-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Bob Slydell: You see, what we're trying to do is get a feeling for how people spend their time at work so if you would, would you walk us through a typical day, for you?

Peter Gibbons: Yeah.

Bob Slydell: Great.

Peter Gibbons: Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can't see me, heh - after that I sorta space out for an hour.

Bob Porter: Da-uh? Space out?

Peter Gibbons: Yeah, I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch too, I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

Buster's Dad
07-11-2005, 06:00 PM
now I know how some of these guys got 30 to 40 thousand posts

Saulbadguy
07-11-2005, 06:00 PM
I'm way over 3.2 hours wasted a day.

PastorMikH
07-11-2005, 06:11 PM
Top 10 Time-Wasting Activities

1. Surfing Internet (personal use)

According to the survey, most workers -- 44 percent -- used the time for personal Internet use, such as emails, message boards and chat rooms

Good thing no one around here was surveyed, that % would have gone up as well as the amount of time spent.

:):)

shaneo69
07-11-2005, 06:13 PM
I think Missouri's ranking is gonna drop now that I started my new job on 7/1 and don't have time to surf the net anymore at work.

Iowanian
07-11-2005, 06:15 PM
Chiefsplanet is going to Fug that Curve up.

The Rest of the state is probably at .25hrs/day

luv
07-12-2005, 12:46 AM
Those are definately office workers. No one in production (including us supervisors) have internet access. I would say we waste just as much time though. Between going to the bathroom umpteen times, swapping CD's with a neighbor, switching out CD's, stopping work in order to turn and talk to a neighbor, coming in late, leaving early, etc. There are other job specific ways to waste time (like setting up stations, choosing batches to work, etc). Not on our shift though. We're cutting down cuz the two supervisors are real bitches. :evil:

chiefqueen
07-12-2005, 04:52 AM
I shouldn't be posting on this thread...........I'm not @ work yet.

MeaTy The Pimp
07-12-2005, 04:56 AM
Amateurs....
I can easily waste 5 or 6 hours of the workday... :D

ptlyon
07-12-2005, 07:11 AM
Amateurs....
I can easily waste 5 or 6 hours of the workday... :D

Wuss - more like 8 for me. ;)

MOhillbilly
07-12-2005, 08:05 AM
europeans get like 2 months off a year and dont work 40 hours.
**** this study.

Cntrygal
07-12-2005, 08:42 AM
I waste more time answering the damn phone from upper management. One of them will call with a "priority" job, and as soon as I hang up (sometimes even before I hang up), one of the other ****ers that work right across the hall from the jackass I'm talking to - calls. ABOUT THE SAME DAMN JOB. Finally I got pissed and asked the higher rank of the two if any of them up there EVER talked to each other. Because I wasn't getting a damn thing done as long as they were bothering me.

StcChief
07-12-2005, 08:52 AM
I've seen worse than two hours a day.

PastorMikH
07-12-2005, 08:55 AM
CntryGal - good to see you back around. I assume this means you are finally out of the brigg and whatever incident that involved you slugging an officer and got you thrown there is resolved so you can start posting here again.

BTW, did you notice that Skip started a Last Post Thread? How many times did he neg-rep you for your posts on the real one? If I were you, I'd get even.

:fire:

:)

jspchief
07-12-2005, 08:59 AM
Hard to believe an online survey resulted in high number of people wasting time on the internet. Amazing. :rolleyes:

In another survey, conducted at a fitness center, it was determined that a high percentage of Americans exercise.

Fire Me Boy!
07-12-2005, 09:17 AM
I've been at work since 8 and I'm already at 2.25 hours... man than 3.2 hour average for Missouri is WAY off. I'll be sitting at 7 hours easily come quittin' time.

Cntrygal
07-12-2005, 10:33 AM
CntryGal - good to see you back around. I assume this means you are finally out of the brigg and whatever incident that involved you slugging an officer and got you thrown there is resolved so you can start posting here again.

BTW, did you notice that Skip started a Last Post Thread? How many times did he neg-rep you for your posts on the real one? If I were you, I'd get even.

:fire:

LOL! Honestly, I haven't been incarcerated. I've been doing "post and run" now for several weeks. :harumph: I've been taking a couple night classes that have been eating up alot of my time though.

I even posted in Skip's thread towards the beginning stages of it. I still like the original one much better. :( I think he negged me alot for that thread though. :mad:

PastorMikH
07-12-2005, 11:06 AM
I even posted in Skip's thread towards the beginning stages of it. I still like the original one much better. :( I think he negged me alot for that thread though. :mad:

The first one was fun, Skip's is just a vain attemp by someone craving attention. I do remember you talking about him negging you. Don't you think you should pay him back?

gblowfish
07-12-2005, 02:13 PM
I'd argue against this strongly, but first I gotta screw around on the CP for a couple three hours...

Survey: Mo. Is No. 1 in Slacking at Work
Missourians Rank First for Wasting Time at Work, Slacking Off More Than 3 Hours a Day, Survey Finds
By BETSY TAYLOR
The Associated Press

Jul. 12, 2005 - If you're on the job, and you're reading this story, you should probably get back to work. The average worker wastes more than two hours a day, and that's not including lunch, according to a new Web survey by America Online and Salary.com. That means companies spend as much as $759 billion on salaries annually for which they receive no apparent benefit, the research found.

The No. 1 state for wasting time was Missouri, where workers who responded to the survey reported slacking off 3 hours and 12 minutes a day.

The survey didn't specifically look at why Missouri is the worst in the nation, but if Missouri workers think the perception is unfair, "We would encourage people to visit the home page and weigh in further on that," said Richard Cellini, Salary.com's head of research.

Missouri's governor Matt Blunt responded to the survey in a statement: "Nobody can match the work ethic of Missourians. This survey, which our busiest citizens did not want to waste their time on, cannot undermine decades of experience. Missouri workers are among the most productive in the world."

The Missouri Department of Economic Development said a study it published last year on the industries driving the state economy found Missouri employees hard at work.

"It appears to me the Missouri worker is equal to, or slightly higher, in productivity than other workers across the nation in most of the industries (the Missouri study) looked at," said department spokeswoman Kristi Jamison.

The America Online and Salary.com survey found the workers' top excuses for wasting time nationwide were not enough work or inadequate for the work they do.

About 10,000 people responded to the poll.

More than 44 percent said the No. 1 way they waste time at work is personal Internet use, like reading e-mail, instant messages, playing interactive games and responding to online polls.

The second most popular, according to 23 percent of respondents, was socializing with co-workers. Other excuses included conducting personal business, spacing out, running errands and making personal phone calls.

Employers expect that workers will waste some time on the job, about an hour per day in addition to the lunch hour.

"Our survey results show that workers on average are wasting a little more than twice what their employers expect. That's a startling figure," said Bill Coleman, senior vice president at Salary.com.

He noted that some of the wasted time could be considered helpful, however, as conversations and personal Internet use can lead to new business ideas.

The research was conducted through Dulles, Va.-based AOL's Find a Job site, which gives job seekers access to job postings; through the AOL service, and Needham, Mass.-based Salary.com's Salary Wizard, an online salary calculator.

On the Net:

Salary.com: www.salary.com

Saulbadguy
07-12-2005, 02:28 PM
Our governor's name is Matt Blunt, and he got high
I spent all morning on AIM, and we got high
Our inboxes are piling up and I know why (ya YEAH)
Missouri's all high, Missouri's all high, Missouri's all hi-igh

I was gonna do my TPS reports, but then I got high
I was gonna go by the copier to pick them, but then I got high
The company is moving to Kansas and I know why (ya YEAH)
Missouri's all high, Missouri's all high, Missouri's all hi-igh