PDA

View Full Version : DJ contract talks

Anyong Bluth
07-12-2005, 02:10 AM
Pretty boring, from the star. I hope they don't go to all this trouble in the offseason and f*ck up something so managible like SIGN OUR STARTING ROOKIE LB so he can be as well prepared as possible. not THIS season!

Chiefs negotiating slowly with top pick

By ELIZABETH MERRILL The Kansas City Star

It is 15 days before the plane leaves for training camp, and negotiations for the Chiefs’ first-round draft pick have crawled to a slow but congenial pace.

The Chiefs have been involved in talks with Derrick Johnson’s representatives for about a month, his agent, Vann McElroy, said Monday. Johnson, an All-America linebacker from Texas, should figure heavily into the Chiefs’ defensive plans this fall and has said he wants to be in River Falls, Wis., on time.

“That is our whole intention here,” McElroy said. “I think the team, the NFL, so to speak, puts that on the player and the agent, that the player needs to be on time. (But) they’re part of that equation, and it has to work both ways. I believe in working with teams. I also believe the team needs to work with the player, too.”

Johnson was a pleasant surprise during offseason workouts, displaying the speed and athletic ability that earned him the Butkus Award as a senior. He was a quick study and is expected to contend for a starting job on the left side.

McElroy said it was important for Johnson to participate in the workouts so he could get to know his teammates and coaches. So far, he said, the negotiations have been running smoothly.

McElroy also represents Chiefs offensive lineman Jordan Black and played against Kansas City in his days with the Raiders.

“Derrick is very excited to be a Chief,” McElroy said. “He loves it there. He likes the people, likes the team, and loves Dick Vermeil. He was excited to get to know the coaches and see that they’re just as emotional about this stuff as he is.”

Rausch
07-12-2005, 02:28 AM
Great, a ****ing raider is DJ's agent...

MichaelH
07-12-2005, 04:50 AM
After the Sims debacle, I would think signing a first round defensive pick would go flawlessly. :shake:

htismaqe
07-12-2005, 05:39 AM
They've been talking for a month and we haven't heard anything about Carl melting down yet.

I would say that's a GREAT sign.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
07-12-2005, 05:53 AM
I actually think that once Alex Smith or Ronnie Brown signs and the slotting starts to fall into place that Johnson will be signed quickly. With this being Vermeils last year I don't see Carl and Thum being such a hardass when it comes to getting Johnson signed.

David.
07-12-2005, 05:54 AM
After the Simms debacle, I would think signing a first round defensive pick would go flawlessly. :shake:

who?

MichaelH
07-12-2005, 06:01 AM
who?

Sims- :p

need coffee.

David.
07-12-2005, 06:03 AM
Sims- :p

need coffee.

:)

I had 4 cups and a monster energy drink in the last 3 hours.

I'm probably going to have a heart attack D:

nmt1
07-12-2005, 06:04 AM
After the Sims debacle, I would think signing a first round defensive pick would go flawlessly. :shake:

What Sims debacle?

Coach
07-12-2005, 06:38 AM
Great, a ****ing raider is DJ's agent...

At least it's not the Poston brothers, thankfully.

KCTitus
07-12-2005, 06:42 AM
Contract talks have been going on for a month? Not possible. Just last week, I read on the Planet that Carl wasnt doing anything.

Spicy McHaggis
07-12-2005, 09:43 AM
I actually think that once Alex Smith or Ronnie Brown signs and the slotting starts to fall into place that Johnson will be signed quickly. With this being Vermeils last year I don't see Carl and Thum being such a hardass when it comes to getting Johnson signed.

I agree, I imagine rookies are being told by the PA not to settle early and jack up the slotting. We need that high pick to sign to set the bar. Roughly two weeks before players report still so I'm not too worried. Carl has to realize the importance of getting a guy who is penciled in to start into training camp on time. Time to put the icing on the cake of this great offseason.

jiveturkey
07-12-2005, 09:56 AM
Are any first rounders signed?

htismaqe
07-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Are any first rounders signed?

No.

chiefqueen
07-12-2005, 11:10 AM
At least it's not the Poston brothers, thankfully.

What about Ethan Locke?

htismaqe
07-12-2005, 11:11 AM
What about Ethan Locke?

What about Hadley Engledork?

BIG_DADDY
07-12-2005, 11:16 AM
What about Hadley Engledork?

Or Tom Condom

Mr. Laz
07-12-2005, 11:35 AM
(But) they’re part of that equation, and it has to work both ways. I believe in working with teams. I also believe the team needs to work with the player, too.”!

kick his ass parker...

how dare he suggest that it's on BOTH PARTIES to get the job done.

how full of crap can one agent be!!

htismaqe
07-12-2005, 11:36 AM
kick his ass parker...

how dare he suggest that it's on BOTH PARTIES to get the job done.

how full of crap can one agent be!!

When did I EVER say that both parties aren't required?

Mr. Laz
07-12-2005, 11:38 AM
When did I EVER say that both parties aren't required?

where's that thread when you need it?!

donkhater
07-12-2005, 11:56 AM
Actually I think the problem with the signing of rookies has to do with the collective bargaining agreement about to run out. Agents still want their signing bonuses but can't prorate them out as far as they did in previous seasons becasue they don't want their clients signed through a possible uncapped year. We could see MANY rookies not in camp on time.

ct
07-12-2005, 12:09 PM
Actually I think the problem with the signing of rookies has to do with the collective bargaining agreement about to run out. Agents still want their signing bonuses but can't prorate them out as far as they did in previous seasons becasue they don't want their clients signed through a possible uncapped year. We could see MANY rookies not in camp on time.

My feeling as well. The typical 7 year deal for high 1st rounders will not work this year. have to be creative with 5 year deals and incentive bonuses to make up the difference, and I don't see the agents playing along easily. Why would they?

Wallcrawler
07-12-2005, 12:15 PM
What Sims debacle?

You know, the big holdout by Ryan Sims which ended up in him showing up late, and in the words of Dick Vermiel "Fat and out of shape".

And you know since then, he's really shown us all that he was really worth the extra money that he held out for. Especially last season, with his amazing 15 tackles and 2 sacks all year.

KCTitus
07-12-2005, 12:53 PM

How's this one?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=118668

whoman69
07-12-2005, 12:58 PM
CP has done a better job in recent years of getting the players into camp on time.

When did I become Rufus?

nmt1
07-12-2005, 12:59 PM
You know, the big holdout by Ryan Sims which ended up in him showing up late, and in the words of Dick Vermiel "Fat and out of shape".

And you know since then, he's really shown us all that he was really worth the extra money that he held out for. Especially last season, with his amazing 15 tackles and 2 sacks all year.

The Chiefs have had many players show up to camp late. The only one I'd consider a debacle would be John Tait.
Now if you'd like to argue that Sims is a bust, feel free to do so. Him being a bust has no bearing on whether or not his holdout was a debacle, IMO. Being fat and out of shape is Sims' fault not the agent's or the team's.

htismaqe
07-12-2005, 03:17 PM

So now you're going to resort to taking quotes out of context.

It's quite clear when you read the thread in question that I am operating under the assumption that Carl has contacted Vann McElroy, as reported by more than one KC media outlet.

Based on that assumption, it would be in the agent's court. But in no way does that imply the negotiations are one-sided.

Please, I know it's hard, but you needn't bother with little things like details.

Zebedee DuBois
07-12-2005, 04:47 PM
I think Carl usually schedules a vacation around this time.

nmt1
07-12-2005, 05:09 PM
I think Carl usually schedules a vacation around this time.

No, that's the first week of free agency.

Zebedee DuBois
07-12-2005, 05:16 PM
No, that's the first week of free agency.

"When times call for action...."
ROFL