PDA

View Full Version : GazReview: "War of the Worlds"

Gaz
07-12-2005, 10:00 AM
Now THIS is more like it. After the disapointment of "Revenge of the Sith" and "Batman Begins," I was concerned that "War of the Worlds" would be another "Summer Blockbuster" bust.

Stunning visuals, thunderous surround sound, good acting [hey, I even enjoyed Tim Robbins in this movie]. This is what a Big Screen Blockbuster SHOULD be.

With one glaring exception very late in the movie, the saccharine-sweet Spielberg is nowhere to be found. This is the “Saving Private Ryan” “blood and gore and veins in your teeth” Spielberg. And that is a good thing. This is a grim tale of battered, desperate people struggling to survive an implacable, overpowering predator. Spielberg delivers it without sanding off the rough edges.

The cameo by Gene Barry is a very nice touch.

My quibbles are few in number and minor in scope:

• The “they’ve been here waiting for a million years” bit is not necessary and distracts from the epic on the screen. I was wondering If they’ve been underground for millions of years, why did they wait until now to take over the planet? Call me retro, but I prefer the projectiles falling to earth. On the other hand, the lightning strikes gave up some primo flash and bang, so I am happy to let that go.

• There is a cheesy bit [I do not want to spoil it for anyone] right at the end of the film that is a mistake, IMO. It cheapens some very effective drama earlier in the story. Chalk it up to Hollywood and let it go. It is a small thing that only slightly diminishes the film.

“War of the Worlds” DEMANDS the Big Screen. Wait for a matinee, if you must, but see this one at the theater, with the huge screen and full surround sound. It is worth it.

This is a 5-Hoot movie. Go see it.

xoxo~
Gaz
Enjoyed the ride.

dirk digler
07-12-2005, 10:16 AM
I liked the movie alot but I have must have missed your review of Batman begins. IMO it was the best movie of the year by far.

oaklandhater
07-12-2005, 10:17 AM
Now THIS is more like it. After the disapointment of "Revenge of the Sith" and "Batman Begins," I was concerned that "War of the Worlds" would be another "Summer Blockbuster" bust.

Stunning visuals, thunderous surround sound, good acting [hey, I even enjoyed Tim Robbins in this movie]. This is what a Big Screen Blockbuster SHOULD be.

With one glaring exception very late in the movie, the saccharine-sweet Spielberg is nowhere to be found. This is the “Saving Private Ryan” “blood and gore and veins in your teeth” Spielberg. And that is a good thing. This is a grim tale of battered, desperate people struggling to survive an implacable, overpowering predator. Spielberg delivers it without sanding off the rough edges.

The cameo by Gene Barry is a very nice touch.

My quibbles are few in number and minor in scope:

• The “they’ve been here waiting for a million years” bit is not necessary and distracts from the epic on the screen. I was wondering If they’ve been underground for millions of years, why did they wait until now to take over the planet? Call me retro, but I prefer the projectiles falling to earth. On the other hand, the lightning strikes gave up some primo flash and bang, so I am happy to let that go.

• There is a cheesy bit [I do not want to spoil it for anyone] right at the end of the film that is a mistake, IMO. It cheapens some very effective drama earlier in the story. Chalk it up to Hollywood and let it go. It is a small thing that only slightly diminishes the film.

“War of the Worlds” DEMANDS the Big Screen. Wait for a matinee, if you must, but see this one at the theater, with the huge screen and full surround sound. It is worth it.

This is a 5-Hoot movie. Go see it.

xoxo~
Gaz
Enjoyed the ride.

How can any one be diisapointed in Batman Begins?

Gaz
07-12-2005, 10:20 AM
How can any one be diisapointed in Batman Begins?
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=119086&highlight=Batman+Begins

oaklandhater
07-12-2005, 10:23 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=119086&highlight=Batman+Begins
I just got done reading it but saying you like War of the worlds more then BB is ludacris, War of the worlds had so many plot holes and very very very poor character development!!!!!

keg in kc
07-12-2005, 10:26 AM
I saw it on Friday and I was very disappointed. The only redeeming quality of the whole thing for me was the visuals of the tripods slaughtering people with their death rays, ash raining everywhere. the plot was so overwraught with inanity and stupidity that it completely failed to do the one thing I require from a popcorn flick, that being suspend my disbelief.

All-in-all, it felt to me like a film where they spent a weekend on the script and a year on the superficial flashes, and that just didn't do it for me. Color me disappointed. Very disappointed.

And Batman Begins, well, I saw it for the third time yesterday. I've enjoyed it more with each viewing. It's gone from being the best comic book film I've seen (after the first viewing - sorry Sin City and Road to Perdition) to the best film I've seen this year (after the second viewing) to the best film I've seen in a few years. That's unusual, because I usually find holes the more I watch a film - that's how my mind works, after all - but with that one I've been finding nuances and devices I just didn't notice initially. If the hoot scale runs from 1 to 5, I'd give Batman Begins a 50. And War of the Worlds an 0.5.

But hey, I'm glad you liked it. Boring place this world would be if we were all drones and clones.

Gaz
07-12-2005, 10:27 AM
I just got done reading it but saying you like War of the worlds more then BB is ludacris, War of the worlds had so many plot holes and very very very poor character development!!!!!

That is why they make lots of movies, bud. Your mileage may vary.

However, I must say that complaining about plot holes in “War of the Worlds” while extolling the virtues of “Batman Begins” strikes me as pretty ironic.

xoxo~
Gaz
Cannot like them all.

Brock
07-12-2005, 10:28 AM
Thought it was pretty poor also. I'd rather watch the 1953 version.

irishjayhawk
07-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Yep. Agreed. WoWs sucked frankly. I wrote about it in the HUGE thread.

irishjayhawk
07-12-2005, 10:52 AM
I just read the Batman Begins review. All I agreed about in the movie was Katie Holmes contributing absoluetly NOTHING.

Still, WoW was nothing compared to BB.

kc rush
07-12-2005, 10:55 AM
We couldn't be more opposite here. I enjoyed Sith as popcorn entertainment and Batman as great film (the best comic based film I've seen). I didn't enjoy War of the Worlds.

I was willing to let the plot holes go in WotW and call it entertaining summer fluff, but the film got worse as it went along. And the ending pissed me off so much that I looked at the movie in a negative light.

munkey
07-12-2005, 11:27 AM
I was willing to let the plot holes go in WotW and call it entertaining summer fluff, but the film got worse as it went along. And the ending pissed me off so much that I looked at the movie in a negative light.

I couldn't agree more....

Swanman
07-12-2005, 11:39 AM
And Batman Begins, well, I saw it for the third time yesterday. I've enjoyed it more with each viewing. It's gone from being the best comic book film I've seen (after the first viewing - sorry Sin City and Road to Perdition) to the best film I've seen this year (after the second viewing) to the best film I've seen in a few years. That's unusual, because I usually find holes the more I watch a film - that's how my mind works, after all - but with that one I've been finding nuances and devices I just didn't notice initially. If the hoot scale runs from 1 to 5, I'd give Batman Begins a 50. And War of the Worlds an 0.5.

The thing I loved so much about Batman Begins is that it explained the origins for pretty much everything: the batsuit, batmobile, Batman's fighting prowess, batcave, etc. And also Christian Bale's performance was pretty much perfect, although I kept waiting for him to take the batmobile out to return some videotapes.

Ghostof
07-12-2005, 12:18 PM
War of the Worlds was a horrible movie, only good part was at the end when Tom Cruise was saved by Katie Holmes driving the Bat Mobile...and then as they were driving off into the sunset leaving all the anguish behind them, Katie turned into an alien and killed Cruise.

WoWs was a cross between Mars Attacks! and Mission Impossible.

Fire Me Boy!
07-12-2005, 12:20 PM
The thing I loved so much about Batman Begins is that it explained the origins for pretty much everything: the batsuit, batmobile, Batman's fighting prowess, batcave, etc. And also Christian Bale's performance was pretty much perfect, although I kept waiting for him to take the batmobile out to return some videotapes.
I kept waiting for him to admire Ra's business cards... they were eggshell white, you know.

Sure-Oz
07-12-2005, 12:28 PM
I liked it but it could've been better if speilburg waited longer, there are a few parts that had me going "huh?!" It was entertaining, Batman Begins is still my fave of the few new movies ive seen so far. Everyone has their opinion though.

KevB
07-12-2005, 01:13 PM
I saw it on Friday and I was very disappointed. The only redeeming quality of the whole thing for me was the visuals of the tripods slaughtering people with their death rays, ash raining everywhere. the plot was so overwraught with inanity and stupidity that it completely failed to do the one thing I require from a popcorn flick, that being suspend my disbelief.

All-in-all, it felt to me like a film where they spent a weekend on the script and a year on the superficial flashes, and that just didn't do it for me. Color me disappointed. Very disappointed.

But hey, I'm glad you liked it. Boring place this world would be if we were all drones and clones.

My feelings exactly. I'm typically pretty easy to please when it comes to movies....I suppose I'm easily entertained. But there were so many things that bothered me about WoW that it distracted from the amazing effects.

Bob Dole
07-12-2005, 01:17 PM
FWIW, Bob Dole enjoyed the six pack he purchased with his movie ticket money.

stevieray
07-12-2005, 08:45 PM
Well, it took five years, but I totally disagree with this GAZ review.

Raiderhader
07-12-2005, 08:54 PM
I found the film rather disappointing. It came no where close to living up to the hype.

Bowser
07-12-2005, 09:01 PM
War of the Worlds was a horrible movie, only good part was at the end when Tom Cruise was saved by Katie Holmes driving the Bat Mobile...and then as they were driving off into the sunset leaving all the anguish behind them, Katie turned into an alien and killed Cruise.

WoWs was a cross between Mars Attacks! and Mission Impossible.

This is what I was waiting for throughout the movie......

"Baaa daaaa da BAAAAAAAAAA!!!!"

mikey23545
07-12-2005, 09:07 PM
Gaz, you must remember you are arguing against people who prefer comic books to H. G. Wells...

stevieray
07-12-2005, 09:56 PM
Gaz, you must remember you are arguing against people who prefer comic books to H. G. Wells...

I'd pay to listen to Orsen Wells than watch that again..

keg in kc
07-12-2005, 10:19 PM
Gaz, you must remember you are arguing against people who prefer comic books to H. G. Wells...Yeah, it's not like any of us have any interest in science fiction as a form of literature. Names like Shelley or Poe or Hawthorne or Verne or Stevenson or Doyle or Wells mean nothing to people like us. We all just read comics. Yeah. That must be it.

Count Alex's Losses
07-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Yeah, it's not like any of us have any interest in science fiction as a form of literature. Names like Shelley or Poe or Hawthorne or Verne or Stevenson or Doyle or Wells mean nothing to people like us. We all just read comics. Yeah. That must be it.

PWNED!!!

Valiant
07-13-2005, 12:30 AM
I liked that they kept the ending that way... Humanity escapes by unseen luck if you will... But I do not agree with that WOW is a better movie then BB, hell that bitch dakota fanning should die for her horrible screaming the entire time... The movies are similar in quality...

Gaz
07-13-2005, 06:27 AM
It appears that I need to clarify a couple of things:

1. I am not “arguing” that “War of the Worlds” is superior to “Batman Begins.” An argument would require that I lay out a logical framework proceeding from a hypothesis in an attempt to convince someone that my position is correct. Not interested. I am simply stating that I enjoyed WotW more than BB. As always, YMMV.

2. I am both a science fiction and comic book geek. Personally, I DO prefer comic books to H.G. Wells. It requires a Herculean effort of will for me to wade through Wells’ archaic writing style. Not his fault. That is how they wrote back then. I like a more modern, streamlined writing style [hard to fathom, I suspect, given my own particular style].

So, I am neither condemning comic books nor trying to persuade anyone to change their minds on the issue. I liked “War of the Worlds” and I found “Batman Begins” to be a considerable disappointment.

If you liked “Batman Begins” and pay multiple admissions, that will encourage the filmmakers to produce a sequel. Maybe I will like that one better. So, enjoy BB and go see it again this afternoon. I look forward to “Batman Gets His Feces Together and Entertains Gaz.”

xoxo~
Gaz
Not seeing a downside.

Rausch
07-13-2005, 06:36 AM
Well, it took five years, but I totally disagree with this GAZ review.

Ditto.

There was no point to the remake. SS added nothing by adding CGI to the idea.

And there are "Signs" sized wholes in the story/plot...

Dave Lane
07-13-2005, 09:21 AM
This movie is one of the worst films of all time. Horrid acting, if there was any at all! Minor cgi was the only thing that had ANY redeeming quality to the movie -1 star rating, crap and I think I'm holding back a bit.

Dave

Dave Lane
07-13-2005, 09:23 AM
Forgot the Morgan Freeman intro and epilogue. They were really the high point of this movie. Everything between that was absolute crap.

Dave

Dave Lane
07-13-2005, 09:24 AM
Forgot the Morgan Freeman intro and epilogue. They were really the high point of this movie. Everything between them was absolute crap.

Dave