PDA

View Full Version : Pick the FIVE greatest all-time Chiefs from this list. Part 7.

Rain Man
07-12-2005, 10:13 AM
On your mark, get set,....

go.

Rain Man
07-12-2005, 10:27 AM
Wow. Weak poll in the mid-alphabet.

Okoye is a no-brainer, despite his relatively short career, and Paige is also a no-brainer as perhaps the best third-down WR in Chiefs history.

After that? Hmm...

I went with Jerry Mays for longevity on a winning team. He was a clear third.

For my last two slots, I was torn between Curtis McClinton (longevity, winning), Todd McNair (ace third down back and special teamer), Joe Montana (short career, but took us to AFC championship), and Mo Moorman (I initially thought he was a no-brainer, but his career was shorter than I thought). Curt Merz also intrigued me as a two-way player, even though I must admit that I've never heard of him.

I eventually settled on McClinton, in part because I know he's still a big Chiefs supporter, and my sentimental favorite of McNair. That guy was money coming out of the backfield on third down.

HemiEd
07-12-2005, 10:32 AM
Mays, McNair, Montana, Okoye and Paige.

ChiTown
07-12-2005, 10:33 AM
Mays, McNair, Montana, Okoye and Paige.

Dit-Toe

shakesthecat
07-12-2005, 10:34 AM
Mays, McClinton, Montana, Okoye and Paige.

Rain Man
07-12-2005, 10:35 AM
Wow. Look at the love so far for Todd McNair. I always thought that I was being counterculturally cool to be a fan of his.

keg in kc
07-12-2005, 10:36 AM
Wow. Look at the love so far for Todd McNair. I always thought that I was being counterculturally cool to be a fan of his.Counterculturally cool? Is that like when you wear womens shoes or learn to speak Klingon?

Rain Man
07-12-2005, 10:38 AM
Counterculturally cool? Is that like when you wear womens shoes or learn to speak Klingon?

Nah. It's like being 20 years old and not having a tattoo. It means that you're a rebel who's not afraid to buck the system.

ChiTown
07-12-2005, 10:39 AM
Wow. Look at the love so far for Todd McNair. I always thought that I was being counterculturally cool to be a fan of his.

Loved McNair.

"Todd McNair! More versatile than a Swiss Army Knife!" Kevin Harlan circa 1991, when we beat the Raiders in Cali.

Prior to the call, McNair had caught a pass in the backfield on a crutial 3rd down play and scampered for a 1st down that allowed the Cheifs to run out the clock.

Coogs
07-12-2005, 10:40 AM
I always felt McNair was way over-rated. Every week, the anouncers for the game would say McNair has great hands. And almost every week, he would drop at least one easy pass.

And, if memory serves, in the AFC Championship game in Buffalo, late in the first half... Chiefs driving... a TD puts us right back in the game... Montana floats a pass over the middle for an easy TD to McNair... he drops it... Montana gets knocked out on the very next play. Ball game. Correct me if I am wrong, but that is the way I remember .

Rain Man
07-12-2005, 10:42 AM
I always felt McNair was way over-rated. Every week, the anouncers for the game would say McNair has great hands. And almost every week, he would drop at least one easy pass.

And, if memory serves, in the AFC Championship game in Buffalo, late in the first half... Chiefs driving... a TD puts us right back in the game... Montana floats a pass over the middle for an easy TD to McNair... he drops it... Montana gets knocked out on the very next play. Ball game. Correct me if I am wrong, but that is the way I remember .

Boy, I don't remember it that way at all. I could be wrong, but I remember him having hands of glue. I always liked to see him coming in on third down.

And I don't recall the particular AFC Championship play.

shakesthecat
07-12-2005, 10:43 AM

I thought that was Kimble Anders.

keg in kc
07-12-2005, 10:43 AM
Nah. It's like being 20 years old and not having a tattoo. It means that you're a rebel who's not afraid to buck the system.Holy shit. You're the next Jimmy Dean.

Coogs
07-12-2005, 10:45 AM
Boy, I don't remember it that way at all. I could be wrong, but I remember him having hands of glue. I always liked to see him coming in on third down.

And I don't recall the particular AFC Championship play.

Every week they would say he had hands of glue. And every week he would drop a pass. That's when I first started realizing most of the anouncers probably were not familiar with the Chiefs, but going off of the press guides.

Coogs
07-12-2005, 10:47 AM

Come to think of it, it was Anders instead of McNair. My bad! Carry on with the McNair lovefest! :redface:

KChiefs1
07-12-2005, 12:39 PM
My list:

Jerry Mays
Joe Montana
Mo Moorman
Christian Okoye
Stephone Paige

Close call between Moorman, McNair & McClinton in my opinion....I went with the guy who sprung Garrett on the 65 Toss Power Trap!

cadmonkey
07-12-2005, 12:41 PM
are you just naming every single player to ever put on a Chiefs jersey?

KCFalcon59
07-12-2005, 12:49 PM

It was Kimble Anders. I think It was also Krieg that threw him the pass. Montana had already been knocked out. Krieg came in and drove us down and Kimble dropped the pass.

Dave Lane
07-12-2005, 12:55 PM
Slim pickins here...

Dave

ct
07-12-2005, 01:35 PM
Okoye, Paige, Montana, McClinton, McNair

luv
07-12-2005, 01:40 PM
I wasn't following the Chiefs back in 94. I know Joe Montana was a great football player in general, but what exactly did he do for the Chiefs that he should be one of the top five?

Are we picking top five Chiefs or top five football players?

whoman69
07-12-2005, 01:42 PM
I know Joe Montana is going to get alot of votes here, but the guy was with us for two years. Now if I could get the time machine working and go back to 1979 and get Steadman to listen, bingo.
Okoye is top 2 backs all time. Paige is arguable the 2nd best receiver we ever had. Moorman was a big cog in the Oline for the championship teams of the 60s. Jerry Mays was a perrennial all-pro on our monster Ds of the 60s.

Coogs
07-12-2005, 02:22 PM
It was Kimble Anders. I think It was also Krieg that threw him the pass. Montana had already been knocked out. Krieg came in and drove us down and Kimble dropped the pass.

Man, I could have sworn that Montana went out on the very next play!?!?!? Damn it's hell to be getting older! :)

Just for the record, the game was against Buffalo....

wasn't it? :D

KCTitus
07-12-2005, 02:34 PM
McNair, Montana, Okoye and Paige were easy ones for me...I picked Maz for #5, but it could have been any of the others that didnt pre-date my watching of the club.

chiefs4me
07-12-2005, 03:44 PM
Maslowski
Mays
Montana
Okoye
Page

Zebedee DuBois
07-12-2005, 05:38 PM
Okoye of course
I just can't bring myself to vote for Montana. He was an all time NFL great, and we got to the AFC Champ game with him...but somehow I just don't think of him as a real Chief. I don't know why. I am probably wrong.

And since the choosing was so hard, I had to throw a vote for Chris Martin, who I believe ran back a 99 yard fumble recovery against the Dolphins. Woo Hoo. I can still see that play.

Rain Man
07-12-2005, 05:42 PM
are you just naming every single player to ever put on a Chiefs jersey?

It's every player who was with the team for at least five years OR started in at least two years.

FloridaChief
07-12-2005, 05:47 PM
I just can't bring myself to vote for Montana. He was an all time NFL great, and we got to the AFC Champ game with him...but somehow I just don't think of him as a real Chief. I don't know why. I am probably wrong.

I didn't vote for him either and for the exact same reason. I've just never thought of him as a Chief...

milkman
07-12-2005, 09:56 PM
I know Joe Montana is going to get alot of votes here, but the guy was with us for two years. Now if I could get the time machine working and go back to 1979 and get Steadman to listen, bingo.
Okoye is top 2 backs all time. Paige is arguable the 2nd best receiver we ever had. Moorman was a big cog in the Oline for the championship teams of the 60s. Jerry Mays was a perrennial all-pro on our monster Ds of the 60s.

While Montana was a Chief QB, he did do some amazing things with little talent to work with, but I couldn't vote for him here, either.

Jerry Mays
Curtis McClinton
Stephon Paige
(I agree 100% with your opinion on Paige)
Christion Okoye
Warren McVea

Skip Towne
07-12-2005, 10:55 PM
Somebody needs to explain this to me. MaSLOWski and Mo Moorman both got 8 votes. Maz was a good ST player and a very mediocre MLB on shitty D's. Moorman was a starting G on our only SB winning team. Maz wouldn't have made that team that Mo started on. Both had about the same length of short careers. This makes no sense.

Lonewolf Ed
07-12-2005, 11:05 PM

It was Kimble.

chefsos
07-12-2005, 11:15 PM
Boy, that was a tough one! Not concerned with leaving a worthy player off, but with voting for a stiff. I didn't really want to vote for Montana because 2 years doesn't seem to be enough to make an all-time list(He will always be a Niner anyway). However, nobody else I saw there could edge him out.

Mays
McClinton
Montana
Okoye
Paige

digi2fish
07-12-2005, 11:25 PM
Morten on the list ROFL

Valiant
07-13-2005, 12:17 AM
It amazes me so many people that voted for montana.. He was not here long enough to be voted greatest-all-time Chief..I guess Eric HIcks should be voted greatest all-time for his one great year with us...

Logical
07-13-2005, 12:17 AM
My list:

Jerry Mays
Joe Montana
Mo Moorman
Christian Okoye
Stephone Paige

Close call between Moorman, McNair & McClinton in my opinion....I went with the guy who sprung Garrett on the 65 Toss Power Trap!You and I have probably had almost identical votes so far on each of the polls. Perhaps you are my alternate universe twin. We must never meet or the universe will explode.

Logical
07-13-2005, 12:20 AM
It amazes me so many people that voted for montana.. He was not here long enough to be voted greatest-all-time Chief..I guess Eric HIcks should be voted greatest all-time for his one great year with us...I did not want to vote for him but the choices in this poll were putrid beyond Moorman, Mays, Okoye. I held my nose and voted for Montana and Paige.

papasmurf
07-13-2005, 06:46 AM
I refuse to vote for 5 of these. 3 at best.

Phobia
07-13-2005, 07:41 AM
It amazes me so many people that voted for montana.. He was not here long enough to be voted greatest-all-time Chief..I guess Eric HIcks should be voted greatest all-time for his one great year with us...

Did Eric Hicks win a playoff game?

Electric
07-13-2005, 07:45 AM
Did Eric Hicks win a playoff game?

Maybe he dreamed of winning one?

How soon they have forgotten about Joe.

milkman
07-13-2005, 09:01 AM
Somebody needs to explain this to me. MaSLOWski and Mo Moorman both got 8 votes. Maz was a good ST player and a very mediocre MLB on shitty D's. Moorman was a starting G on our only SB winning team. Maz wouldn't have made that team that Mo started on. Both had about the same length of short careers. This makes no sense.

It's because some of these people are noobie Chiefs fans, just joining the club in the last 20 years or less.

Since they didn't see those great Chiefs teams of the 60s and early 70s, they don't realize the talent that was on those rosters.

Those of us that were around back in the 'good ole days' can try to educate them, but they'll still rely what they've seen.

Skip Towne
07-13-2005, 09:59 AM
It's because some of these people are noobie Chiefs fans, just joining the club in the last 20 years or less.

Since they didn't see those great Chiefs teams of the 60s and early 70s, they don't realize the talent that was on those rosters.

Those of us that were around back in the 'good ole days' can try to educate them, but they'll still rely what they've seen.
Damn n00bs. :cuss:

milkman
07-13-2005, 10:06 AM
Maybe he dreamed of winning one?

My money says he just dreams of Dick.
That's how he keeps his job, afterall.

How soon they have forgotten about Joe.

I don't think anyone has forgotten about Joe.

IMO, if you voted for Joe, then there are a number players you've either forgotten about, or simply aren't familiar with.

PHOG
07-13-2005, 10:42 AM

This IS a preliminary list, right? :shrug:

At least that's the way I understood it..

Rain Man
07-13-2005, 10:45 AM
This IS a preliminary list, right? :shrug:

At least that's the way I understood it..

Yup. This is Round 1, or as I call it, the First Round.

PHOG
07-13-2005, 10:50 AM
Yup. This is Round 1, or as I call it, the First Round.

Thanks, that's what I thought. :thumb:

go bowe
07-13-2005, 11:14 AM
Yup. This is Round 1, or as I call it, the First Round.is that like the first lady?

Rain Man
07-13-2005, 11:20 AM
is that like the first lady?

Maybe. I tend to call her Lady One, though, just to be consistent with Air Force One.

KChiefs1
07-13-2005, 11:25 AM
You and I have probably had almost identical votes so far on each of the polls. Perhaps you are my alternate universe twin. We must never meet or the universe will explode.

That's kinda like that Lost in Space episode with John Robinson? :)

Phobia
07-13-2005, 11:34 AM
IMO, if you voted for Joe, then there are a number players you've either forgotten about, or simply aren't familiar with.

I dunno about that. I've become a fan in the last 20 years, but still voted for Mayes, McClinton, & Paige along with Okoye and Montana.

Montana was the greatest QB ever. The Chiefs won their first playoff games in 20 years with him and their last 2 since. It's not like he was sitting on the bench with Warren Moon.

KCTitus
07-13-2005, 11:36 AM
I dunno about that. I've become a fan in the last 20 years, but still voted for Mayes, McClinton, & Paige along with Okoye and Montana.

Montana was the greatest QB ever. The Chiefs won their first playoff games in 20 years with him and their last 2 since. It's not like he was sitting on the bench with Warren Moon.

Same here...he was the sole reason why that team won those playoff games.

Rain Man
07-13-2005, 11:38 AM
I didn't vote for Montana solely due to his short tenure in Kansas City. I must admit that it was a tough decision, though. Guys who throw touchdown passes on fourth down in playoff games are hard to pass up.

I don't blame people for voting for Montana, and I don't blame them for passing him over.

Phobia
07-13-2005, 11:48 AM
I didn't vote for Montana solely due to his short tenure in Kansas City. I must admit that it was a tough decision, though. Guys who throw touchdown passes on fourth down in playoff games are hard to pass up.

I don't blame people for voting for Montana, and I don't blame them for passing him over.

I can see people passing up Delaney for tenure reasons, but 93 was the most successful season for the Chiefs since the 60's. I don't care if Joe Montana only played those 2 playoff games for us, he's still on my list.

I think tenure is a good weighting factor, but I also think postseason success and the fact he played the most important skill position on the field are more weighted in his favor.

Yes there was a lot of talent on the SuperBowl teams, but Moorman wasn't the field general on those teams.

DJay23
07-13-2005, 12:36 PM
Went with the obvious Okoye, Paige, and Mays.

Then I gave McClinton the nod being that he is a Jayhawk afterall.

The last one was tough. I can't vote for Joe, even though he did help us to some pretty impressive wins. I went with McNight, because I seem to remember seeing his name in the Chiefs record book a couple of times.

milkman
07-13-2005, 02:51 PM

I'm not saying that a vote for Montana is wrong.
I agree he is a very legitimate choice.

What he was able to accomplish in his short time as a Chief was really nothing short of spectacular, given the lack of talent, and the fact that he had to overcome Marty and Paul Hackett's shortcomings.

I am just saying that watching those great Chiefs teams in the 60s and early 70s gives me a different perspective.

If you had done something stupid, like, say, voted for Fat Boy Chet and Kawika Mitchell, I would be on here lambasting you.