PDA

View Full Version : H5N1

MOhillbilly
07-12-2005, 09:17 AM
I was suprised when i did a search on the Planet to NOT find any reference to H5N1.
IMO terrorists and commies need to take a back seat till the WHO AND/OR CDC comes up w/ an anti-virus.
1.3 billion dead was a lowball estimate ive read.

60 million in the US alone. And w/ Vaccine production world wide on the fritz (cant even make 300 million doses) and the fact that they culture Flu on chicken eggs (H5N1 is 100% fatal to chicken eggs) looks like weve got a big one coming.
:evil:

JimNasium
07-12-2005, 09:24 AM
I was suprised when i did a search on the Planet to NOT find any reference to H5N1.
IMO terrorists and commies need to take a back seat till the WHO AND/OR CDC comes up w/ an anti-virus.
1.3 billion dead was a lowball estimate ive read.

60 million in the US alone. And w/ Vaccine production world wide on the fritz (cant even make 300 million doses) and the fact that they culture Flu on chicken eggs (H5N1 is 100% fatal to chicken eggs) looks like weve got a big one coming.
:evil:
It's only a matter of time before the next pandemic and we are well overdue.

Rain Man
07-12-2005, 09:37 AM
A friend of mine who is a physician is a bit freaked out by this as well. A couple of months ago, she said that they think this thing made a leap to humans in Thailand, and that's a big deal.

keg in kc
07-12-2005, 09:39 AM
H5N1 is bird flu, I take it?

MOhillbilly
07-12-2005, 09:42 AM
A friend of mine who is a physician is a bit freaked out by this as well. A couple of months ago, she said that they think this thing made a leap to humans in Thailand, and that's a big deal.

When it made the jump to pigs a few months back,i got alittle freaked.
Now its jumped to the phillipines and japan its gettin close.

JimNasium
07-12-2005, 09:42 AM
H5N1 is bird flu, I take it?
Yes, although it has been transmitted to humans in the Far East. There is no evidence of human to human transmission as of yet. If and when that happens will mark a genetic shift in the virus and then it becomes a much more grave situation.

tyton75
07-12-2005, 09:43 AM
Kill all birds!

htismaqe
07-12-2005, 09:44 AM
The bird flu is a big worry primarily because of it's potential effects on the elderly, the young, and those who can't afford healthcare.

Honestly, it's not much different than many of the types of flu we deal with today -- keep yourself well hydrated and it's far from fatal.

JimNasium
07-12-2005, 09:46 AM
The bird flu is a big worry primarily because of it's potential effects on the elderly, the young, and those who can't afford healthcare.

Honestly, it's not much different than many of the types of flu we deal with today -- keep yourself well hydrated and it's far from fatal.
This is not always the case. The 1918 pandemic saw much higher fatality rates in healthy adults than in children.

keg in kc
07-12-2005, 09:47 AM
Yes, although it has been transmitted to humans in the Far East. There is no evidence of human to human transmission as of yet. If and when that happens will mark a genetic shift in the virus and then it becomes a much more grave situation.Yeah. One of the side-benefits of listening to late night radio is that they keep me updated on all the latest viruses that might wipe me out. Mad cow has ever been a favorite, then a year or two ago it was West Nile in New Jersey and now for the last year or so it's been this avian flu.

I probably sound like I'm making light of it, but I'm not.

Mr. Kotter
07-12-2005, 09:49 AM
I'm hopin' if, God forbid, it mutates....that human infection is limited to moonbats. Moonbats don't deserve to die, but they do deserve a nasty case of the flu. :p

MOhillbilly
07-12-2005, 09:50 AM
This is not always the case. The 1918 pandemic saw much higher fatality rates in healthy adults than in children.

15-40 was the majority of deaths in the 18 months the spanish flu ran wild in 1918-19.

JimNasium
07-12-2005, 09:50 AM
Yeah. One of the side-benefits of listening to late night radio is that they keep me updated on all the latest viruses that might wipe me out. Mad cow has ever been a favorite, then a year or two ago it was West Nile in New Jersey and now for the last year or so it's been this avian flu.

I probably sound like I'm making light of it, but I'm not.
Along the conspiracy line of thinking I believe the most interesting variable during the next pandemic will be the use of retro viral medications. We haven't had access to those during a pandemic event. This interests me because they are so expensive and there will be big controversy over who will be able to gain access to them.

Mr. Kotter
07-12-2005, 09:54 AM
15-40 was the majority of deaths in the 18 months the spanish flu ran wild in 1918-19.

It's odd you know all of this....

Do you work for Al Queda? :hmmm:

Kclee
07-12-2005, 09:54 AM
I'm hopin' if, God forbid, it mutates....that human infection is limited to moonbats. Moonbats don't deserve to die, but they do deserve a nasty case of the flu. :p

What, is Moonbats your slang for black people? Real nice. Racist!!!one1!11!eleven1!!

:)

htismaqe
07-12-2005, 09:55 AM

That was 1918. The mortality rate was affected by lack of good medical standards.

But I'm also guessing (without having done the research) that a great many of adults that died in the 1918 pandemic were adult males involved with World War I, which ended that year.

htismaqe
07-12-2005, 09:56 AM
Along the conspiracy line of thinking I believe the most interesting variable during the next pandemic will be the use of retro viral medications. We haven't had access to those during a pandemic event. This interests me because they are so expensive and there will be big controversy over who will be able to gain access to them.

Did I not already mention the ability to afford healthcare? :D

Mr. Kotter
What, is Moonbats your slang for black people? Real nice. Racist!!!one1!11!eleven1!!

:)

FTR, Moonbat = Extreme Leftwing Wacko Nutcase

MOhillbilly
It's odd you know all of this....

Do you work for Al Queda? :hmmm:

I have thousands of dollards invested in breeding fowl.......

MOhillbilly
07-12-2005, 09:57 AM
That was 1918. The mortality rate was affected by lack of good medical standards.

But I'm also guessing (without having done the research) that a great many of adults that died in the 1918 pandemic were adult males involved with World War I, which ended that year.

what happens if it hits like a bomb and healthcare means nothing?

Mr. Kotter
07-12-2005, 09:57 AM

Sure, Raheem Mikamelizded....

I notice you didn't directly answer my question.... :hmmm:

:p

keg in kc
07-12-2005, 09:58 AM
Along the conspiracy line of thinking I believe the most interesting variable during the next pandemic will be the use of retro viral medications. We haven't had access to those during a pandemic event. This interests me because they are so expensive and there will be big controversy over who will be able to gain access to them.Unless there's some sort of reform in the insurance industry, I think we could be approaching a plateau in medicine where that will be a reality in a lot of areas. Sort of a science-fiction meets reality situation where the elite receive expensive new life-extending treatments while the life expectancy of the great huddled masses begins to dwindle back to 19th century levels. Although I think "elite" in the United States, and the rest of the "first world", would involve a wider swath of people than, say, the "elite" in sub-saharan Africa.

But that's the apocalyptic, sky-is-falling, chicken little, pop-culture, sci-fi wacko side of my personality speaking. Give me a minute for the apathetic fat and happy side of my brain to drown it out.

JimNasium
07-12-2005, 09:59 AM

That could have played a role but here is the data comparing 1918 to the typical flu season:http://employees.csbsju.edu/hjakubowski/classes/ch112/nw079037501a.jpg

htismaqe
07-12-2005, 10:26 AM
what happens if it hits like a bomb and healthcare means nothing?

What do you mean?

Onset is measured in days, and it's normally debilitating but not lethal.

Putting it in a bomb is no different than spreading the infection through coughing, etc. IOW, the bomb isn't going to make the disease more deadly...it just makes the initial infection larger in scope.

I guess I'm not sure what you're getting at.

htismaqe
07-12-2005, 10:27 AM

So now you're into cockfighting?

:D

MOhillbilly
07-12-2005, 10:32 AM
What do you mean?

Onset is measured in days, and it's normally debilitating but not lethal.

Putting it in a bomb is no different than spreading the infection through coughing, etc. IOW, the bomb isn't going to make the disease more deadly...it just makes the initial infection larger in scope.

I guess I'm not sure what you're getting at.

im worried that it will spread like wildfire and seeing as humans have no antibodies to combat it and its high mortality rate plus the fact that there is no way to contain it once it makes the jump to humans who are ill prepared for H5N1..........makes me worry.

MOhillbilly
07-12-2005, 10:34 AM
So now you're into cockfighting?

:D

na....NO.:harumph: Why?

htismaqe
07-12-2005, 10:41 AM
im worried that it will spread like wildfire and seeing as humans have no antibodies to combat it and its high mortality rate plus the fact that there is no way to contain it once it makes the jump to humans who are ill prepared for H5N1..........makes me worry.

I think we need to be careful suggesting that the bird flu, or any flu, has a "high mortality rate".

We have yet to see an outbreak of one of these diseases in a 1st-world nation, so we don't know how much environmental factors such as proper sanitation effect the mortality rate.

This isn't ebola or hanta that we're talking about.

MOhillbilly
07-12-2005, 10:44 AM
I think we need to be careful suggesting that the bird flu, or any flu, has a "high mortality rate".

We have yet to see an outbreak of one of these diseases in a 1st-world nation, so we don't know how much environmental factors such as proper sanitation effect the mortality rate.

This isn't ebola or hanta that we're talking about.

Japan has had 7 outbreaks in a month.

htismaqe
07-12-2005, 10:57 AM
Japan has had 7 outbreaks in a month.

In birds. There's only been a handful of cases in humans, at least from what I've heard. I haven't heard of any fatalities in Japan.

There's been a handful of fatalities in Thailand, Vietnam, etc. but they're obviously not 1st-world nations.

Maybe my info is off/out-of-date?

BIG_DADDY
07-12-2005, 11:03 AM

I thought that was what you were looking forward to? :shrug:

All I know is if it does break out I'm eating all alkalized foods.

MOhillbilly
07-12-2005, 11:17 AM
In birds. There's only been a handful of cases in humans, at least from what I've heard. I haven't heard of any fatalities in Japan.

There's been a handful of fatalities in Thailand, Vietnam, etc. but they're obviously not 1st-world nations.

Maybe my info is off/out-of-date?

yes in birds only. But it shows its moving.

MOhillbilly
07-12-2005, 11:17 AM

why alkalized foods?

Ari Chi3fs
07-12-2005, 11:28 AM
yes, you can always count on the cheery outlook of MOhillbill to brighten everyones day.

Ari Chi3fs
07-12-2005, 11:31 AM

Considering I just ate Popeye's chicken... I think I should consider doing the same... I know it is best for me, but for some reason, I resist the change to all alkaline diet...

Im a dumbass, apparently... I tell you what, if I did, what I know... I would be unstoppable...

htismaqe
yes in birds only. But it shows its moving.

Absolutely it's moving.

That wasn't my point. My point is that we should be careful classifying this as a "high mortality rate" disease. So far, that's only proven true in birds. Even in the less industrialized countries of southeast Asia, the mortality to infection ratio is pretty low, at least from what I've read.

BIG_DADDY
why alkalized foods?

Here is a thread on it.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=116757

Since then everyone I have talked to is confiming the same thing. If they keep their system alkaline they never get sick. Rina was getting a cold a couple weeks back and we all know how that goes. People at her work had it for like 7-10 days. We moved her to nothing but alkaline foods and she knocked it out in 2 days.

Ari Chi3fs
07-12-2005, 11:34 AM
Here is a thread on it.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=116757

Since then everyone I have talked to is confiming the same thing. If they keep their system alkaline they never get sick. Rina was getting a cold a couple weeks back and we all know how that goes. People at her work had it for like 7-10 days. We moved her to nothing but alkaline foods and she knocked it out in 2 days.

so when you go to all alkaline, what does your diet consist of?

Avocados. broccoli. almonds... what else? I guess I need an alkaline diet Cookbook... :shrug:

BIG_DADDY
07-12-2005, 11:54 AM
so when you go to all alkaline, what does your diet consist of?

Avocados. broccoli. almonds... what else? I guess I need an alkaline diet Cookbook... :shrug:

Here is a good chart

http://www.essense-of-life.com/info/foodchart.htm

With Rina all she ate for two days was salad, whey protein, watermellon and drank lemon juice in water. Watermelon and lemon are super alkalizers. Knockled it right out.

ct
07-12-2005, 12:06 PM
Here is a good chart

With Rina all she ate for two days was salad, whey protein, watermellon and drank lemon juice in water. Watermelon and lemon are super alkalizers. Knockled it right out.

So going alkaline reads vegitarian? Ouch! My company would not approve - Cargill Meat Solutions. But then again, I doubt they approve of the <ahem> 2 hours of net surfin each day either.

Ari Chi3fs
07-12-2005, 12:08 PM
Here is a good chart

great link... anyone with health issues should move towards this diet... especially if crazy outbreaks occur.

I think I may have eaten my last chicken, it is sitting in my belly squawking at me. Uggh.

MOhillbilly
07-12-2005, 12:12 PM
when my foot was acting up i ate 3-4 lemons to alkaline my system.
worked like a charm.

who the F can eat 5 pounds of cherries??????:rolleyes:

ct
07-12-2005, 12:20 PM
when my foot was acting up i ate 3-4 lemons to alkaline my system.
worked like a charm.

who the F can eat 5 pounds of cherries??????:rolleyes:

Presented the right cherry, I suppose I would try. :)

Ari Chi3fs
07-12-2005, 11:41 PM
http://www.acidalkalinediet.com/reports/top10tips.pdf

16 page PDF on it. Enjoy.

Simplex3
07-12-2005, 11:49 PM
Damnit, here's how I see it:

Facts:
1. Asians have small d**ks
2. Birds have small a**holes and twats
3. Anthrax is contracted by f**king sheep
4. All these weird flus start in Asia

Conclusion:
Asians need to keep the ding-a-lings out of the local fowl population before they ruin world health like they did safe driving.

Simplex3 out.

Hog Farmer
07-13-2005, 06:46 AM
My sow herd broke with H3N2 Influenza virus in 2001 which was a new virus to the swine industry. It was determined that it blew in on the wind from a herd 50 miles away. Within months the pharmaceutical industry had a vaccine for the flu. When we broke I had 108 sows abort out of 1200 bred sows. It then went through the farrowing, nursery and finishing stages of the farm. Once the herd had been exposed then the immune system is stimulated in the herd and natural antibodies developed. We do not vaccinate for the virus since it would be a waste of money. It will be the same scenario when it hits the human population. We are all exposed to things every day and your body develops natural immunity over time. I'm sure that over here in the good ole USA the we are getting prepared behind the scenes. If you keep yourself healthy, take your vitamins and be alert then you won't have anything to worry about.

ct
07-13-2005, 08:13 AM
My sow herd broke with H3N2 Influenza virus in 2001 which was a new virus to the swine industry. It was determined that it blew in on the wind from a herd 50 miles away. Within months the pharmaceutical industry had a vaccine for the flu. When we broke I had 108 sows abort out of 1200 bred sows. It then went through the farrowing, nursery and finishing stages of the farm. Once the herd had been exposed then the immune system is stimulated in the herd and natural antibodies developed. We do not vaccinate for the virus since it would be a waste of money. It will be the same scenario when it hits the human population. We are all exposed to things every day and your body develops natural immunity over time. I'm sure that over here in the good ole USA the we are getting prepared behind the scenes. If you keep yourself healthy, take your vitamins and be alert then you won't have anything to worry about.

Well said!! :clap:

Whereabouts is your farm? I'm just curious, so no offense if you decline.

MOhillbilly
07-13-2005, 08:33 AM
dont get all warm and cozy h3n2 is a poodle puppy compared to h5n1.
h5n1 would be a pitbull on roids w/ rabies its almost 100% fatal.
h3n2 is just a next step up like a drive from springfield to KC.
h5n1 would be like a drive from earth to the sun.
Its not if theyre will be a pandemic, its WHEN. big diffrence.

htismaqe
07-13-2005, 08:47 AM
h5n1 would be a pitbull on roids w/ rabies its almost 100% fatal.

It most certainly is not. Even the CDC's estimates of 35-70% mortality are likely inflated.

http://girlscientist.blogspot.com/2005/02/is-avian-influenza-that-deadly.html

MOhillbilly
07-13-2005, 09:04 AM
It most certainly is not. Even the CDC's estimates of 35-70% mortality are likely inflated.

http://girlscientist.blogspot.com/2005/02/is-avian-influenza-that-deadly.html

i think more than i type.
i meant to make a distinction to Hog Farmer between h3n2 in swine and h5n1 in fowl and other live stock.
its 100% fatal in fowl.

htismaqe
07-13-2005, 09:13 AM
i think more than i type.
i meant to make a distinction to Hog Farmer between h3n2 in swine and h5n1 in fowl and other live stock.
its 100% fatal in fowl.

Yep. The first time I posted the reply (it timed out for some reason) my response was:

"In BIRDS"

MOhillbilly
07-13-2005, 09:15 AM
Yep. The first time I posted the reply (it timed out for some reason) my response was:

"In BIRDS"

So its not 100% fatal in fowl????????