07-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Sign Ty Law threads starts in 3 .. 2.. 1

eazyb81
07-12-2005, 02:26 PM
who cares, we signed ASHLEY AMBROSE!!!!

we better appeal...

Chiefnj
Shouldn't this free up a quarter of his salary?

Bootlegged
No surprise here.

tomahawk kid
Seriously? BS of this nature would lead to a call for nuthooks.....

TRR
Hopefully he is able to appeal, and plays the first couple of games.

dirk digler
That is fuggin stupid. Why the hell did it take them up to almost training camp to decide this.

Miles
07-12-2005, 02:27 PM
So much for hoping he would get less.

Chiefnj
07-12-2005, 02:27 PM
Screw the appeal. The guys a three time DUI loser. Time to pay the piper for the first four games and move on. He is lucky he didn't kill someone.

Mr. Laz
07-12-2005, 02:28 PM

:hmmm:

don't know how the suspension stuff affects the salary cap

since he is suspended does he still count a roster spot?

pup list or something....

KCTitus
07-12-2005, 02:29 PM
while suspended, he doesnt get paid.

Saulbadguy
07-12-2005, 02:30 PM
Oh well. He's a drunk, and he's not that good of a football player. Stupid Nebraska players.

Mr. Kotter
Sign Ty Law now!

or we are fooked!!! :p

Stinger
Screw the appeal. The guys a three time DUI loser. Time to pay the piper for the first four games and move on. He is lucky he didn't kill someone.

Well said :bravo: Chief or non Chief you do the crime do the time

TRR

In NFL regulations, this is Warfields first DUI. They completely missed his first two infractions.

tomahawk kid
Its REALLY irritating that the league waited until now.

I'm not going to argue that Warfield deserved to be suspended, but this should have come at the end of last season.

HemiEd
This is BS! Could we let Bartee and Mcleon do the time for him? 2 for 1?

Mr. Kotter
Sign Ty Law threads starts in 3 .. 2.. 1

I didn't do it in a separate thread; should I?

dirk digler
07-12-2005, 02:31 PM
This just upped Law's price tag. Our first 4 games are brutal.

dirk digler
07-12-2005, 02:33 PM
Its REALLY irritating that the league waited until now.

I'm not going to argue that Warfield deserved to be suspended, but this should have come at the end of last season.

Totally agree.

I don't understand why it took them 6 months to decide this.

Chiefnj
07-12-2005, 02:34 PM
What difference does it make if the league announced the suspension in January? February? March?

The team, and every Chief fan, was well aware of the fact that he could be suspended for four games. I don't see how the timing affected anything. The Chiefs spent a lot of money on Surtain and Bell. The other top guys they were after were expensive as well - Rolle and Hartwell.

Would people really have preferred that the Chiefs had signed two second tier CB's instead of Surtain?

King_Chief_Fan
07-12-2005, 02:35 PM
Ignorant fugger Warfield is completely responsible and needs to pay for it.

He has endangered the lives of others and has been a let down to Chiefs fans and team mates.

Here is hoping that we find out we don't need his arse anyway.

Don't be hating the league.........hate the playa!!

the Talking Can

....and they took this long to notify him because???

4 games sucks big arse...(edit: I don't mean he doesn't deserve it....just that it sucks for the Chiefs)

Calcountry
Screw the appeal. The guys a three time DUI loser. Time to pay the piper for the first four games and move on. He is lucky he didn't kill someone.:thumb:

TRR
07-12-2005, 02:36 PM
What difference does it make if the league announced the suspension in January? February? March?

The team, and every Chief fan, was well aware of the fact that he could be suspended for four games. I don't see how the timing affected anything. The Chiefs spent a lot of money on Surtain and Bell. The other top guys they were after were expensive as well - Rolle and Hartwell.

Would people really have preferred that the Chiefs had signed two second tier CB's instead of Surtain?

It makes a big difference. Maybe they could have freed up some cap room elsewhere? Maybe they wouldn't have traded for Carlos Hall? Who knows. The problem I have is that every other NFL player knows IMMEDIATELY of their suspension. Why did Warfield and KC have to wait this long?

dirk digler
07-12-2005, 02:39 PM
It makes a big difference. Maybe they could have freed up some cap room elsewhere? Maybe they wouldn't have traded for Carlos Hall? Who knows. The problem I have is that every other NFL player knows IMMEDIATELY of their suspension. Why did Warfield and KC have to wait this long?

Exactly.

Mr. Laz
07-12-2005, 02:39 PM

yep...

Chiefnj
07-12-2005, 02:41 PM

Everyone on this board has been talking about his suspension all offseason. Carl and guys who actually read the CBA didn't have a good idea Warfield was going to be suspended for 4 games? It was a problem whether it was announced today or 5 months ago. There is only so much money available, and the bulk went to Bell, Surtain and Knight. Even if you take away Hall (which leaves absolutely no DE depth) what quality starting corner were the Chiefs going to sign?

Anyong Bluth
07-12-2005, 02:42 PM
does he have appeal by a certain time or can he wait till the season is about to start so he can play?

chief4life
07-12-2005, 02:42 PM
Ok this sucks because the nfl waited this long but it might be a blessing in disquise because Ty Law is out there. And I think Ambrose is going to turn some heads and is a good 2nd Cb. And could hold it down for 4 games. That is just my 2 cents

Ghostof
07-12-2005, 02:44 PM

Exactly...just because hes a football player doesnt give him a free pass and be above the law.

speaking of law

SIGN TY LAW

TRR
07-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Everyone on this board has been talking about his suspension all offseason. Carl and guys who actually read the CBA didn't have a good idea Warfield was going to be suspended for 4 games? It was a problem whether it was announced today or 5 months ago. There is only so much money available, and the bulk went to Bell, Surtain and Knight. Even if you take away Hall (which leaves absolutely no DE depth) what quality starting corner were the Chiefs going to sign?

Then answer my original question...Is it fair to make Eric Warfield wait x amount of months to hear if he will be suspended, when every other NFL player is informed IMMEDIATELY. How is that fair?

Mr. Laz
07-12-2005, 02:46 PM
there was a bigger cornerback free agent crop this year than in a long time.

many options where available

maybe the chiefs don't grab knight either ... maybe they grab 2 cornerbacks.

issue is that the league kept the team on the hook without knowing until the last possible second ... reducing their ability to adapt.

it's complete crap

nascher
07-12-2005, 02:47 PM
If he is suspended for the first 4 games i bet "he" will appeal just before the suspension to push it back maybe
5-8.

TRing
Where is the link and proof. not saying it isnt true i just want the story

Chiefnj
Then answer my original question...Is it fair to make Eric Warfield wait x amount of months to hear if he will be suspended, when every other NFL player is informed IMMEDIATELY. How is that fair?

I could care less if it is fair to make him wait. Maybe he should have thought about his long arduous wait before getting drunk and putting his keys in the ignition after being arrested twice before. Poor baby.

TRR
I could care less if it is fair to make him wait. Maybe he should have thought about his long arduous wait before getting drunk and putting his keys in the ignition after being arrested twice before. Poor baby.

That doesn't answer my question at all.

dirk digler
07-12-2005, 02:49 PM
issue is that the league kept the team on the hook without knowing until the last possible second ... reducing their ability to adapt.

it's complete crap

yep.

Brock
07-12-2005, 02:50 PM
They shoulda sent him packing after the second one.

beer bacon
07-12-2005, 02:51 PM

This isn't about Warfield. This is about the Chiefs organization and all their fans being ****ed over by the NFL dragging their feet on the suspension.

TRing
07-12-2005, 02:51 PM
so no link

Chiefnj
07-12-2005, 02:52 PM
That doesn't answer my question at all.

Your question was "is it fair." I don't think fairness has anything to do with it. Did the league violate any rule or time limit in imposing the suspension? If not, then it's a fair decision made within the governing rules.

dirk digler
07-12-2005, 02:53 PM
This isn't about Warfield. This is about the Chiefs organization and all their fans being ****ed over by the NFL dragging their feet on the suspension.

That is my biggest problem with this whole thing. It hurts to lose Warfield for 4 games but the ass dragging that the NFL did is unexcusable IMO.

Maybe next time they can give us the courtesy of at least using vaseline before we bend over.

Ari Chi3fs
07-12-2005, 02:53 PM
MLB suspended K Rogers immediately...Artest got suspended by NBA immediately, we had to wait 11 months. Thats wee-todd-did shit right there.

Mr. Laz
07-12-2005, 02:54 PM
Where is the link and proof. not saying it isnt true i just want the story

it's early,early news ... hasn't hit the wire that i know of

expect stories to hit tonight or tomorrow

Chiefnj
07-12-2005, 02:54 PM

It's a game. A game that diverts peoples attention away from serious issues like losing a loved one to a drunk driver.

The fans were screwed over when a player decided to be a 3 time loser.

The team screwed itself over when it resigned a player with a history of DUI and a history of partying and being the center of the party. Maybe they should have inserted a clause that returns half of his signing bonus if he was arrested and convicted again.

TRR
07-12-2005, 02:55 PM
Your question was "is it fair." I don't think fairness has anything to do with it. Did the league violate any rule or time limit in imposing the suspension? If not, then it's a fair decision made within the governing rules.

LOL! Whatever dude. They suspend every other NFL player immediately, but make Warfield wait months and months. It's not fair any way you slice it. Your letting your emotions for Warfield get in the way of what is really true...The NFL screwed the pooch, and then waited long enough to screw Warfield and KC.

BOTTOM LINE...HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED LAST SEASON.

Mr. Laz
07-12-2005, 02:55 PM
this isn't about warfield or defending warfield

this is about the team and giving them normal notification so that they can adjust.

TRing
07-12-2005, 02:56 PM

thanx, appreciate it

Brock
07-12-2005, 02:56 PM
LOL! Whatever dude. They suspend every other NFL player immediately, but make Warfield wait months and months. It's not fair any way you slice it. Your letting your emotions for Warfield get in the way of what is really true...The NFL screwed the pooch, and then waited long enough to screw Warfield and KC.

BOTTOM LINE...HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED LAST SEASON.

Is there some kind of league rule regarding when they will notify?

TRR
07-12-2005, 02:57 PM
It's a game. A game that diverts peoples attention away from serious issues like losing a loved one to a drunk driver.

The team screwed itself over when it resigned a player with a history of DUI and a history of partying and being the center of the party. Maybe they should have inserted a clause that returns half of his signing bonus if he was arrested and convicted again.

When did Warfield kill a loved one? Your taking this way to personally.

beer bacon
07-12-2005, 02:58 PM

Chiefscoalition was saying it was on WHB. WHB said they were told by a rep of Warfield that the NFL informed Warfield of the suspension today.

TRR
07-12-2005, 02:58 PM

I believe there is. However, I read somewhere that Warfield's case fell under a "specialized" ruling because the NFL screwed the pooch, and didn't realize Warfield had plead guilty to 2 DUI's before this.

beer bacon
07-12-2005, 02:59 PM

You aren't really contradicting or really responding to my post. Why did you even quote me before making this post? Drinking and driving is bad? Gee, I never knew.

Chiefnj
07-12-2005, 02:59 PM
When did Warfield kill a loved one? Your taking this way to personally.

I'm not taking it personally. I'm not crying and whining like a little bitch because a player got suspended for four games for committing a felony.

Ohh poor me. My favorite team might have a more difficult time winning a game because of something everyone thought was going to happen. I'll blame all my problems on the league.

htismaqe
07-12-2005, 03:00 PM

Nope.

Mr. Laz
07-12-2005, 03:00 PM
I believe there is. However, I read somewhere that Warfield's case fell under a "specialized" ruling because the NFL screwed the pooch, and didn't realize Warfield had plead guilty to 2 DUI's before this.

and i'm surprised the players association isn't kicking up a fess about the way this was handled.

dirk digler
07-12-2005, 03:01 PM

I don't think so but I think any reasonable person can see that the NFL took its time doing this.

Hell it wasn't even a week after Bennett got caught with a fake penis full of urine that he was suspended.

Anyway here is the policy and Warfield got the right punishment.

Under the NFL’s substance abuse policy, there are more than 9,000 tests a year, including about 1,600 during the off-season. A first-time offender will be suspended four games or 25 percent of the season. A player who violates the policy twice will be suspended eight games, while third and fourth-time violators will be handed a one-year suspension without pay.

htismaqe
while suspended, he doesnt get paid.

He doesn't get paid, but his salary counts against the cap.

TRR
I'm not taking it personally. I'm not crying and whining like a little bitch because a player got suspended for four games for committing a felony.

Ohh poor me. My favorite team might have a more difficult time winning a game because of something everyone thought was going to happen. I'll blame all my problems on the league.

Wow...Now your name calling? There is definitely no need for that. judging by your response, I definitely would say you are taking this personally.

Chiefnj
You aren't really contradicting or really responding to my post. Why did you even quote me before making this post? Drinking and driving is bad? Gee, I never knew.

You said the fans were screwed over by the ruling and the team was screwed over by the league. I corrected you by saying the fans were screwed over by an irresponsible player and the team was screwed because they didn't have the proper foresight.

Mr. Kotter

:banghead:

Chiefnj
07-12-2005, 03:02 PM
I don't think so but I think any reasonable person can see that the NFL took its time doing this.

Hell it wasn't even a week after Bennett got caught with a fake penis full of urine that he was suspended.

Bennett didn't get suspended for the whizzinator.

TRR
07-12-2005, 03:03 PM

Nope, Ontario Smith did.

chief52
07-12-2005, 03:03 PM
this isn't about warfield or defending warfield

this is about the team and giving them normal notification so that they can adjust.

It seems that there has been wide speculation that Warfield would get a four game suspension. If in fact this is the case, I am sure there is no one at Arrowhead that is the least bit surprised. This has been planned for. It seems like the NFL could have been a little more prompt...but I do not think it effects the Chiefs or their plans in any way. They knew what was going down.

CASHMAN
07-12-2005, 03:05 PM
LINK-Please.

CASHMAN.

Mr. Laz

ok i was keeping to straight until now you ****ing moron.

I'll type this real slow so maybe your M.A.D.D drunk freakin brain can comprehend it.

nobody is saying that what Warfield did was right

nobody is saying that Warfield shouldn't be punished

people are saying that the league mishandled the evaluation and notification process in a horrendous fashion.

dumb@ss

dirk digler

Thanks. My bad wrong Vikings RB.

Chiefnj
Nope, Ontario Smith did.

Smith didn't either. He missed a piss test.

Mr. Laz
07-12-2005, 03:06 PM
LINK-Please.

CASHMAN.

htismaqe
07-12-2005, 03:06 PM
I can see people have completely missed the point.

In our legal system, if a cop fails to read a suspect their miranda rights, do they get convicted, even if they are GUILTY?

Warfiled is a 3-time offender. Yes.

Warfield should have been suspended for 4 games. Yes.

IF THE NFL'S SUBSTANCE ABUSE POLICY HAD BEEN FOLLOWED.

It wasn't.

Gravedigger
07-12-2005, 03:07 PM
Get rid of warfield and woods and use the money to sign Ty law seroiusly warfield is almost as bad as Hicks is.

dirk digler
Smith didn't either. He missed a piss test.

Nope. It was Smith.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2057990

beer bacon
You said the fans were screwed over by the ruling and the team was screwed over by the league. I corrected you by saying the fans were screwed over by an irresponsible player and the team was screwed because they didn't have the proper foresight.

You didn't correct me. You rambled about something that didn't have anything to do with my post. Warfield being irresponsible and your claims that the team did not have proper foresight does not negate the NFL's responsibility to not further screw the team over by dragging their feet with what now seems to have a fairly routine suspension. The responsibility for these above transgressions are all their. Warfield being a dumbass does not absolve the NFL of responsibility to handle the situation in a timely manner.

Brock
07-12-2005, 03:08 PM

So, if the league had acted within the rules over the past few years, Warfield would be doing a year suspension, instead of 4 games.

Chiefnj
07-12-2005, 03:09 PM
I can see people have completely missed the point.

In our legal system, if a cop fails to read a suspect their miranda rights, do they get convicted, even if they are GUILTY?

Warfiled is a 3-time offender. Yes.

Warfield should have been suspended for 4 games. Yes.

IF THE NFL'S SUBSTANCE ABUSE POLICY HAD BEEN FOLLOWED.

It wasn't.

According to post #64, it was the correct suspension.

chief52
Nope. It was Smith.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2057990

It was Smith that got caught with the Wizzinator, but he was not suspended for that. There is nothing illegal about that.

He was suspended for failing to take a drug test which is considered a positive test.

Morgan State 60
Warfield is a mediocre corner at best. So what if he finally did an above-average job last season. The Chiefs waited seven long seasons for that.

Bring on Alphonso Hodge, Benny Sapp and Justin Perkins! Let's see what the young kids can do. The New England Patriots last season won a Super Bowl with an undrafted rookie starting at corner (Randall Gay).

Chiefnj
07-12-2005, 03:10 PM
You didn't correct me. You rambled about something that didn't have anything to do with my post. Warfield being irresponsible and your claims that the team did not have proper foresight does not negate the NFL's responsibility to not further screw the team over by dragging their feet with what now seems to have a fairly routine suspension. The responsibility for these above transgressions are all their. Warfield being a dumbass does not absolve the NFL of responsibility to handle the situation in a timely manner.

Show me that they handled it in an untimely manner. What regulation says they have to announce it within X period of time and how did they violate it?

beer bacon
07-12-2005, 03:10 PM
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Chiefs | Warfield to be Suspended Four Games
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:08:18 -0700

Sports Radio 810 WHB.com reports they have learned Kansas City Chiefs CB Eric Warfield will be suspended for the first four games of the NFL season for violating the league's substance abuse and alcohol policy.

dirk digler
07-12-2005, 03:12 PM
So, if the league had acted within the rules over the past few years, Warfield would be doing a year suspension, instead of 4 games.

IIRC his first 2 DUI's didn't count for some reason. I find hard to believe the NFL would suspend a player 4 games for 1 DUI. That is kind of harsh IMO.

What is funny though is that Jamal Lewis got suspended for 4 games in 2001 and last year got busted for selling dope, copped a plea and only got supensed 2 games. WTF is that? He should have been gone for at least 8 games according to the policy.

Brock
07-12-2005, 03:14 PM
IIRC his first 2 DUI's didn't count for some reason. I find hard to believe the NFL would suspend a player 4 games for 1 DUI. That is kind of harsh IMO.

It sounds harsh until I think of the bad publicity Leonard Little gave the league and habitual drunk drivers everywhere.

dirk digler
07-12-2005, 03:15 PM
It was Smith that got caught with the Wizzinator, but he was not suspended for that. There is nothing illegal about that.

He was suspended for failing to take a drug test which is considered a positive test.

According to this link it was mainly because he got busted with the Wizzinator which is against the Substance Abuse Policy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2079032

dirk digler
07-12-2005, 03:16 PM
It sounds harsh until I think of the bad publicity Leonard Little gave the league and habitual drunk drivers everywhere.

Little got suspended 8 games after he was convicted plus he killed someone which is alot different.

beer bacon
07-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Show me that they handled it in an untimely manner. What regulation says they have to announce it within X period of time and how did they violate it?

Again, the answer to your question would not invalidate what I am saying. If their is no regulation saying they have to announce it within X period of time it would still be unfair for them to drag their feet. If they would have waited until we got into the playoffs this year to suspend him, but there was no regulation against them waiting until then to do so, it would still be unethical for them to do so. Regulations define regulations. Regulations do not define ethics.

Ghostof
07-12-2005, 03:19 PM
What it all boils down to is that all the other stadium owners are pissed off because KC always has sell outs or close to it for each game....has the best management...has an offensive squad that few can match...has a loyal fanbase unlike any other team in the NFL.

Its a conspiracy...

the other conspiracy is that the Chiefs defense has been paid off the last few years to look really bad...and for each season they have the leagues worst rated defense the bigger bonus carl peterson gets in his pay check

TRR
07-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Under league rules, Warfield has 5 days to appeal the NFL's decision. He has to do so in written form.

I couldn't find anything on if the NFL had to rule during a certain time frame. At any rate, it's still unethical of the NFL to wait as long as they did.

Brock
07-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Little got suspended 8 games after he was convicted plus he killed someone which is alot different.

Yes. Which seems like a very light sentence to me. IMO, Warfield is getting off easy, and the Chiefs should never have placed much faith in him to begin with.

chief52
07-12-2005, 03:21 PM
According to this link it was mainly because he got busted with the Wizzinator which is against the Substance Abuse Policy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2079032

According to your source...

"The NFL's news release did not give a specific reason for Smith's suspension."

I will see if I can find an article on the suspension. My memory tells me he missed a drug test after the Wizzinator episode. I do not think they could nail him for possessing a Wizzinator...

Chiefnj
07-12-2005, 03:22 PM

I will see if I can find an article on the suspension. My memory tells me he missed a drug test after the Wizzinator episode. I do not think they could nail him for possessing a Wizzinator...

"News
Vikings running back Onterrio Smith, who was officially handed his one-year suspension by the NFL on Tuesday, will not appeal the penalty, according to his agent Doug Hendrickson. Smith was reportedly given the suspension after either failing or missing a drug test on May 4, the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports."

dirk digler
07-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Yes. Which seems like a very light sentence to me. IMO, Warfield is getting off easy, and the Chiefs should never have placed much faith in him to begin with.

I agree about Little he should have been gone for at least 1 yr or 2.

Warfield got what he deserved IMO.

htismaqe
07-12-2005, 03:23 PM
According to post #64, it was the correct suspension.

Yes, he got the right suspension.

But the process was NOT followed correctly.

It's called precedent and it's just as applicable here as it is in the legal system.

chief52
07-12-2005, 03:24 PM
"News
Vikings running back Onterrio Smith, who was officially handed his one-year suspension by the NFL on Tuesday, will not appeal the penalty, according to his agent Doug Hendrickson. Smith was reportedly given the suspension after either failing or missing a drug test on May 4, the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports."

Thanks...that is what I recollect.

dirk digler
07-12-2005, 03:26 PM

That was the official response but you have to read between the lines. The NFL was very embarrassed about what Smith did especially since Congress is hovering over all of the major sports to fix their steroid and substance policies.

Chiefnj
07-12-2005, 03:29 PM
Yes, he got the right suspension.

But the process was NOT followed correctly.

It's called precedent and it's just as applicable here as it is in the legal system.

What's the process and how wasn't it followed?

My original point was none of this was a surprise to KC and didn't really change any of the teams planning.

RedNFeisty
07-12-2005, 03:29 PM
Everyone knew the suspension was coming, there is no need to cry about it.

Electric
07-12-2005, 03:32 PM
Think about how stupid this guy is (Warfield). He is playing professional football, a job that many of us would have given up everthing for and he gets arrested for driving while he's drunk and/or gets busted for the substance abuse policy of the organization he is working for. Where is his head? (Don't answer that, I think I know.)

ct
07-12-2005, 03:33 PM
Nope, Ontario Smith did.

Wrong again. Onterrio Smith was NOT suspended for the Whizzinator.

http://startribune.com/stories/510/5445372.html

As for Warfield, I thought I had heard that he stated he would NOT appeal any suspension, but just wanted to know soon (not sure when this was) what the punishment would be. He deserves this suspension, and sounded like he would accept it.

Why they took so long is they screwed up and missed the 1st two convictions. Most likely they took extra careful time to decide if they could legally punish him according to a 3rd violation, rather than just a 1st. This 4-game suspension is actually a break for Warfield and KC, so quit bitchin!

dirk digler
07-12-2005, 03:35 PM
Think about how stupid this guy is (Warfield). He is playing professional football, a job that many of us would have given up everthing for and he gets arrested for driving while he's drunk and/or gets busted for the substance abuse policy of the organization he is working for. Where is his head? (Don't answer that, I think I know.)

He isn't the first and he won't be the last.

TRR
07-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Wrong again. Onterrio Smith was NOT suspended for the Whizzinator.

Actually your wrong. I never said anything about the wizzinator. All I said was that the Vikes RB that was suspended was Onterrio Smith, not Michael Bennett.

Saul Good
07-12-2005, 03:37 PM

Anyone know how much of his signing bonus is still owed to him? I'm trying to figure out the salary implications if the Chiefs cut him outright. There may be too much bonus left to create a net positive, but he's got a pretty hefty salary.

htismaqe
07-12-2005, 03:38 PM

My original point was none of this was a surprise to KC and didn't really change any of the teams planning.

http://www.nflpa.org/Members/main.asp?subPage=Drug+Policy#inter2b2

(1)Advancement: A player will advance from Stage One to Stage Two after notification by the Medical Director or expiration of the Stage One time limitations.

Stage Two is the first stage that involves suspensions and or fines. Warfield was never enrolled in STAGE ONE.

TRR
07-12-2005, 03:39 PM

But that wasn't everyone else's original point. Everyone agrees with you that Warfield should be suspended. What we don't agree with is the time table in which their decision was made. If it was no surprise to KC or Warfield, then why did it take them so long to decide????

ROYC75
07-12-2005, 03:39 PM
4 games ? Can't say I'm suprised .

chief52
07-12-2005, 03:40 PM
[QUOTE=coryt]Wrong again. Onterrio Smith was NOT suspended for the Whizzinator.

http://startribune.com/stories/510/5445372.html

A quote from this article explains it...

"It's not clear whether Smith failed a drug test or missed one, but either constitutes a violation under the league's policy. A league source confirmed Tuesday that the suspension is not related to the much-publicized April 21 incident at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport where Smith was detained with The Original Whizzinator, a kit designed to help people circumvent drug tests.

Last season, Smith led the Vikings in rushing with 544 yards. Smith had been subject to up to 10 random drug tests a year since a second violation of league policy resulted in a four-game suspension last season"

I knew there was nothing they could do about the Wizzinator...that was legal. They could sure give him a "random" drug test, though.

htismaqe
07-12-2005, 03:42 PM
I think I figured it out.

Warfield is not being suspended under the league's substance abuse policy.

He's being suspended under the league's Player Conduct Policy

http://www.nflpa.org/Members/main.asp?subPage=Conduct+Policy

So he's not being suspended for drinking, he's being suspended for committing a felony.

jspchief
07-12-2005, 03:43 PM
Simple fact is, if the NFL had acted in the same timely manner as they do with other DUIs, Warfield would have served at least a portion of his suspension last season. Them taking so long could have a greater effect on the team.

It's bullsh*t, and I blame the KC media for ignoring the issue. If Dufus and Gretz weren't so busy crying about the local media, maybe they could have made this enough of an issue that the NFL would have been compelled to act sooner.

dirk digler
07-12-2005, 03:44 PM

(1)Advancement: A player will advance from Stage One to Stage Two after notification by the Medical Director or expiration of the Stage One time limitations.

Stage Two is the first stage that involves suspensions and or fines. Warfield was never enrolled in STAGE ONE.

Thanks Parker.

Do we know for sure Warfield was not in Stage 1? According to your link the player can only be suspended if he messed up in Stage 2.

Discipline for First Failure to Comply in Stage Two: A player who has a Positive Test or who in the judgment of the Medical Director fails to comply with his Treatment Plan during Stage Two will be subject to:

(a) A fine of four-seventeenths (4/17) of the amount in Paragraph 5 of the NFL Player Contract if the player has successfully completed Stage One; and

(b) A suspension for the period of time to cover four consecutive regular season and post-season (including Pro Bowl, if selected) games without pay if he did not successfully complete Stage One.

The Bad Guy
07-12-2005, 03:44 PM
This truly might be a blessing.

I don't think the Chiefs would have any interest in Law if Warfield wasn't going to be out.

This might speed up the process if we get him or not.

Afterall, this is ERIC WARFIELD, the man who was ripped to shreads on this BB several 100 times over.

Is it really worth arguing over? The guy is a scumbag who brought this on himself and he's a bigger scumbag for putting him in the position to hurt the team.

Why are people shocked that the NFL took their time? The only way they work in lightspeed if it's an automatic suspension, and in this case, it wasn't.

jspchief
07-12-2005, 03:45 PM

So he's not being suspended for drinking, he's being suspended for committing a felony.Exactly. Post #64 has nothing to do with Warfield's suspension.

Saul Good
07-12-2005, 03:46 PM

Is this relevant to Warfield's situation? This looks like it may be dealing with a substance abuse policy rather than conduct. To my knowledge, and I may be wrong, he hasn't violated any of the league's substance abuse policies.

(BTW, I'm not following you around trying to respond to your posts, although it may seem like I am. You just post a lot of quotable stuff.) :)

chief52
07-12-2005, 03:46 PM

So he's not being suspended for drinking, he's being suspended for committing a felony.

Is DUI a felony? It is not here in CA.

TRR
07-12-2005, 03:47 PM
This truly might be a blessing.

I don't think the Chiefs would have any interest in Law if Warfield wasn't going to be out.

This might speed up the process if we get him or not.

Afterall, this is ERIC WARFIELD, the man who was ripped to shreads on this BB several 100 times over.

Is it really worth arguing over? The guy is a scumbag who brought this on himself and he's a bigger scumbag for putting him in the position to hurt the team.

Why are people shocked that the NFL took their time? The only way they work in lightspeed if it's an automatic suspension, and in this case, it wasn't.

Entering a 3rd guilty plea to a DUI = automatic suspension under "felony" suspensions by the NFL.

ct
Actually your wrong. I never said anything about the wizzinator. All I said was that the Vikes RB that was suspended was Onterrio Smith, not Michael Bennett.

true, but that damn spelling error is inexcussible!!

dirk digler

I think you are right.

TRR
07-12-2005, 03:48 PM
true, but that damn spelling error is inexcussible!!

We are not in English class here.

htismaqe
07-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Thanks Parker.

Do we know for sure Warfield was not in Stage 1? According to your link the player can only be suspended if he messed up in Stage 2.

Well, there is one way he could have been in Stage 1 and nobody no about it:

c. Self-Referral. A player, who personally notifies the Medical Director of his desire to enter voluntarily Stage One of the Intervention Program prior to his being notified to provide a specimen leading to a Positive Test, or prior to behavior of the type described in Section D.1.b., above, becoming known to the Medical Director from a source other than the player, shall be a participant in Stage One as a Self-Referred player. Rather than notifying the Medical Director personally, the player may initiate such notice by first contacting a Club Physician for the purpose of Self Referral to Stage One of the Intervention Program. In order to effectuate a valid Self-Referral, the Club Physician must establish personal contact between the self-referring player and the Medical Director as soon as possible after being contacted by the player. Any information provided to the Club Physician by the player and disclosed by the Club Physician to the Medical Director for the purpose of establishing such contact will not be considered information from "a source other than the player" as described in subsection c(2) below. A Club Physician may not provide substance abuse treatment for any player or facilitate substance abuse treatment which is not provided by a Treating Clinician. Substance abuse treatment shall be provided only by a Treating Clinician in accordance with this Policy. A player will no longer be considered a Self-Referred player, but rather as a mandatory entrant into Stage One if:

(1) the player has a Positive Test (other than a Positive Test conducted pursuant to a Self-Referred player's Treatment Plan); or

(2) if the Medical Director is informed by a source other than the player that the player has engaged in behavior of the type described in Section D.1.b., above, regardless of the fact that the player has previously informed the Medical Director of this behavior; or

(3) the fact of a player's Self-Referral becomes public knowledge.

A Self-Referred player may not be fined under this Intervention Program prior to the time of his mandatory entrance into the Intervention Stages. Self-Referred players will be advised when the Medical Director determines that notification to the Team Substance Abuse Physician (if not previously notified by the player) is medically advisable, and the player will be given the option either to permit such notification or to withdraw from the Intervention Stages without such notification.

BIG_DADDY
07-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Is DUI a felony? It is not here in CA.

Everything is a ****ing felony now. Don't even get me started.

jspchief
07-12-2005, 03:50 PM
I knew there was nothing they could do about the Wizzinator...that was legal. They could sure give him a "random" drug test, though.Not sure that's true. Part of the NFL's policy on substance abuse addresses attempts to circumvent testing, and I believe it specifically addresses possession of someone else's urine.

Technically, they may not have been able to bust him for having the whizzinator in his possession (but could have nailed him had he used it). But I do think the urine would have got him suspended anyway. The NFL just took the easy route, and used the whizzinator as suspicion to test him.

chief52
07-12-2005, 03:51 PM

Sorry :) DUI did not used to be, but who knows any more.

Count Zarth
07-12-2005, 03:52 PM

Yup. It's a crime that buttsex is not a felony.

chief52
07-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Not sure that's true. Part of the NFL's policy on substance abuse addresses attempts to circumvent testing, and I believe it specifically addresses possession of someone else's urine.

Technically, they may not have been able to bust him for having the whizzinator in his possession (but could have nailed him had he used it). But I do think the urine would have got him suspended anyway. The NFL just took the easy route, and used the whizzinator as suspicion to test him.

I believe you are right...

dirk digler
07-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Yup. It's a crime that buttsex is not a felony.

If that was the case you would be in jail for a very long time.

Bob Dole
07-12-2005, 03:54 PM
We should probably have to surrender a 2nd round draft pick to a division rival, too.

jspchief
07-12-2005, 03:55 PM
Sorry :) DUI did not used to be, but who knows any more.In most states, DUI 3rd offense is a felony.

htismaqe
07-12-2005, 03:55 PM
Exactly. Post #64 has nothing to do with Warfield's suspension.

Post #64 is WRONG. There's no mention, anywhere in the policy, of an 8-game suspension.

http://www.nflpa.org/Members/main.asp?subPage=Drug+Policy#inter

A player can enter into STAGE ONE after an arrest, a failed drug test, or self-referral. Stage 1 discipline is:

(b) Positive Test Evaluation: A player who is referred to Stage One by reason of a Positive Test, and who, upon evaluation in Stage One is deemed by the Medical Director not to require specific clinical intervention and/or treatment will advance to Stage Two upon notification to the player by the Medical Director, and will be subject to Stage Two Testing by the Medical Advisor but will not have a Treatment Plan. However, a player who is referred to Stage One by reason of a Positive Test and is deemed by the Medical Director to require specific clinical intervention and/or treatment, is required to comply with a Treatment Plan and will advance to Stage Two upon notification to the player by the Medical Director.

(c) Discipline: If the Medical Director, after consultation with the Medical Advisor, determines in his discretion that a player in Stage One has failed to cooperate with the evaluation process or fails to comply with his Treatment Plan, both the NFL Management Council and the NFLPA shall be notified and the player will be subject to an immediate fine equal to three-seventeenths (3/17) of the amount in Paragraph 5 of the NFL Player Contract, and he will be placed in Stage Two upon notification by the Medical Director.

So basically, if you fail your FIRST drug test, you are automatically enrolled in stage 2.

Stage 2 discipline:

b. Discipline.

(1)Discipline for First Failure to Comply in Stage Two: A player who has a Positive Test or who in the judgment of the Medical Director fails to comply with his Treatment Plan during Stage Two will be subject to:

(a) A fine of four-seventeenths (4/17) of the amount in Paragraph 5 of the NFL Player Contract if the player has successfully completed Stage One; and

(b) A suspension for the period of time to cover four consecutive regular season and post-season (including Pro Bowl, if selected) games without pay if he did not successfully complete Stage One.

(2)Discipline for Second Failure to Comply in Stage Two: A player who has two Positive Tests in Stage Two; or fails twice, as determined by the Medical Director, to comply with his Treatment Plan in Stage Two; or has a Positive Test and fails to comply with his Treatment Plan, as determined by the Medical Director, will incur:

(a) A suspension for the period of time to cover four consecutive regular and post season games (including the Pro Bowl, if selected) without pay if the player was fined pursuant to Section E.2.b.(1)(a) above; and

(b) A suspension for the period of time to cover six consecutive regular and post season games (including the Pro Bowl, if selected) without pay if the player was suspended pursuant to Section E.2.b.(1)(b) above.

dirk digler
07-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Post #64 is WRONG.

Hey why is everyone saying my post is wrong?

Those words came directly from the Commissioners(sp)mouth at the hearing in Congress. Is he full of shit too?

htismaqe
07-12-2005, 03:59 PM

Those words came directly from the Commissioners(sp)mouth at the hearing in Congress. Is he full of shit too?

He must be. Because the substance abuse policy in the CBA does NOT ANYWHERE mention an 8-game suspension that I can find.

dirk digler
07-12-2005, 04:04 PM
He must be. Because the substance abuse policy in the CBA does NOT ANYWHERE mention an 8-game suspension that I can find.

Here is the link. I don't think Tags said it but maybe Upshaw did. My fault.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7911201/

jspchief
07-12-2005, 04:08 PM

Those words came directly from the Commissioners(sp)mouth at the hearing in Congress. Is he full of shit too?I'm not saying it was wrong. I'm just saying it isn't relevant to Eric Warfield. Warfield didn't violate the substance abuse policy.

dirk digler
07-12-2005, 04:10 PM
I'm not saying it was wrong. I'm just saying it isn't relevant to Eric Warfield. Warfield didn't violate the substance abuse policy.

Thanks. I think everyone was and maybe still are under the impression he violated the substance abuse policy.

dirk digler
07-12-2005, 04:11 PM
810 is reporting he violated the substance abuse and alcohol policy.

[810 WHB] Sports Radio 810 WHB has learned that Chiefs CB Eric Warfield will be suspended for the first four games of the NFL season for violating the league’s susbstance abuse and alcohol policy.
Warfield was arrested for driving under the influence on September 20, 2004, in Overland Park, KS. Police said Warfield had a blood alcohol level of .189 percent, more than double Kansas' .08 percent legal limit.

Warfield pleaded no contest in January to a felony DUI charge and was sentenced to 10 days in jail and 80 days of house arrest. The charge was a felony because Warfield had two prior DUI convictions.

As part of a plea agreement with Johnson County prosecutors, Warfield also was ordered to pay a $1,500 fine and perform 100 hours of community service. He will be on probation for a year. In exchange for the no-contest plea, prosecutors dropped misdemeanor counts of driving with a suspended license and having no proof of insurance.

jspchief
07-12-2005, 04:19 PM
810 is reporting he violated the substance abuse and alcohol policy. To be exact, he's in violation of what the NFLPA calls "Alcohol-Related Violations of Law", which appears to fall under the substance abuse policy, so I guess they are right, and I am wrong.

For some reason I can't copy/paste from their site though.

Hoover
07-12-2005, 04:35 PM
if they would have suspended him immediately he could have served it last year.

mikey23545
07-12-2005, 04:48 PM

I don't know about a rule, but I know abour precedent.

chiefz
07-12-2005, 05:02 PM
Here is an official statement on the facts and feelings of Warfield on his suspension from his agent.

http://www.chiefshuddle.com/warfield.html

Facts:

- NFL Commissioner's Office has suspended Eric Warfield, CB, Kansas City Chiefs, for the first four regular season games of the 2005 season.

- The suspension is due to a DWI charge Warfield received on September 20, 2004. This arrest is a violation of the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse.

o The Policy provides in part that the Commissioner may impose a fine, suspension or other appropriate discipline if a player is convicted of or admits to a violation of the law relating to the use of alcohol. Further, it states that upon a second or subsequent offense, the discipline is likely to be a suspension (Policy Section III B).

Statement from Craig Domann, Domann & Pittman, agent for Eric Warfield.

“Eric has been officially suspended the first four games of the 2005 regular season by the NFL Commissioner’s office. Eric understands and fully accepts the consequences.

“Eric has taken extraordinary measures to make restitution for his mistakes and he has complied with all authorities at every level. As his agent and friend, I had hoped that the Commissioner would have lightened his punishment given all Eric has done to address his issues over the past nine months. However, I recognize and support the decision of the Commissioner’s office.

“Eric has benefited from this process and he is a better person, citizen and teammate because of it.

“The regular season is long and with 16 games, Eric will start 12 games and be a valuable contributor to the Chiefs’ this season. I expect Eric to bounce back in a big way and have one of his best seasons yet.

“Eric loves playing football and he greatly appreciates the support he has received from his teammates and the loyal Chiefs’ fans. He will be back!”

07/12/2005

chiefz
07-12-2005, 05:04 PM
I hope to have some comments direct from Warfield pretty soon.

Rain Man
07-12-2005, 05:24 PM
I've got no problem with the league suspending him, but this makes me want to break a beer bottle and cut Warfield with it. He did a spectacularly boneheaded thing, and as a result we're not going to have him on the field in some key games.

Please pardon me while I go bang my head against a wall.

J Diddy
07-12-2005, 05:35 PM
I've got no problem with the league suspending him, but this makes me want to break a beer bottle and cut Warfield with it. He did a spectacularly boneheaded thing, and as a result we're not going to have him on the field in some key games.

Please pardon me while I go bang my head against a wall.

OH just go get trashed and drive around a bit. It will make you feel better.

gblowfish
07-12-2005, 05:45 PM
The league office probably waited till now to release the decision because they wanted to make sure Toasty was sober enough to understand the verdict.

The Chiefs should make him serve as designated driver for the Red Coaters the first month of the season.

Just think, one pre-season injury to a starting DB, and you get Crispy Bartee starting at CB. The horror....the horror.

Oh well, at least Nelly still loves Toasty!

TRR
07-12-2005, 05:47 PM
The league office probably waited till now to release the decision because they wanted to make sure Toasty was sober enough to understand the verdict.

The Chiefs should make him serve as designated driver for the Red Coaters the first month of the season.

Just think, one pre-season injury to a starting DB, and you get Crispy Bartee starting at CB. The horror....the horror.

Oh well, at least Nelly still loves Toasty!

Bartee has moved to safety, and won't be playing CB any time soon. The starter will be between Ambrose and McCleon. Other than those two, Sapp, Hodge, and Perkins could all step up.

Rain Man
07-12-2005, 05:53 PM
OH just go get trashed and drive around a bit. It will make you feel better.

Eh, it's no fun without Eric. Maybe I'll give him a call.

Fairplay
07-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Personally i wouldn't have posted a thread like this without an actual link stateing that Warfield was suspended for 4 games.

Its almost 7:00 PM and nothing is on the news wire about it.

TRR
07-12-2005, 05:55 PM
Personally i wouldn't have posted a thread like this without an actual link stateing that Warfield was suspended for 4 games.

Chiefs | Warfield Suspension Official
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:57:51 -0700

Updating previous reports, Kansas City Chiefs CB Eric Warfield has been suspended four games by the NFL due to a DWI charge he received Sept. 20, 2004. In a statement from his agent, Craig Domann, the suspension was confirmed. Through the release, Domann noted Warfield understands and fully accepts the consequences. He has taken extraordinary measures to make restitution for his mistakes and complied with all authorities on every level.

Link: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Fairplay
07-12-2005, 05:57 PM
My bad. I go to apnews for the latest. I wonder why the slow-pokes don't have it listed in their articles?

Mr. Laz
07-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Everyone knew the suspension was coming, there is no need to cry about it.
hush woman!!

get back in that kitchen and cook my dinner. :cuss:

http://photos5.flickr.com/7353460_99fb7114a2.jpg

Mr. Laz
07-12-2005, 05:59 PM

http://home.tiscali.be/cartoo/RealA/blow%20me.jpg

Chiefnj
07-12-2005, 06:11 PM

I'm just tuning back into this thread and i don't know if this has been addressed yet, but I don't think you are referring to the correct section.

Alcohol violations are different - III(B):

B. Alcohol-Related Offenses.

The Commissioner will review and may impose a fine, suspension, or other appropriate discipline if a player is convicted of or admits to a violation of the law (including within the context of a diversionary program, deferred adjudication, disposition of supervision, or similar arrangement including but not limited to nolo contendere) relating to the use of alcohol. Absent aggravating circumstances, discipline for a first offense will generally be a fine of one-half (1/2) of one-seventeenth (1/17) of the amount in Paragraph 5 of the NFL Player Contract to a maximum of $20,000. If the Commissioner finds that there were aggravating circumstances, including but not limited to felonious conduct or serious injury or death of third parties, and/or if the player has had prior drug or alcohol-related misconduct, increased discipline up to and including suspension may be imposed. Discipline for a second or subsequent offense is likely to be a suspension, the duration of which may escalate for repeat offenses.

TRR
07-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Other message boards are saying that the KC organization isn't too happy with Warfield and his agent going public about the 4 game suspension. I guess the KC organization was lobbying for a 2 game suspension. To this moment, the league has not contacted any member of the KC organization to inform them of their decision.

It sounds like Warfield and his agent may have went public with it sooner than the KC organization wanted them to.

chiefz
07-12-2005, 06:45 PM

Fairplay, the information I posted was from Craig Domann, Eric Warfield's agent himself. Wait if you want but I can assure you that you can't get a better statement than from the horses mouth. Domann and Pittman would not have released that information to me if it was not true.

Pants
07-12-2005, 06:47 PM
Chiefnj, you don't have to be drunk to get a DUI. Not saying what Warfield did was right, but you're making this a huge deal. NFL shouldn't have waited this long.

Electric
07-12-2005, 06:54 PM
He isn't the first and he won't be the last.

You are correct sir!!!

Chiefnj
07-12-2005, 07:04 PM
Chiefnj, you don't have to be drunk to get a DUI. Not saying what Warfield did was right, but you're making this a huge deal. NFL shouldn't have waited this long.

You don't have to be. But he was:

"The charges stemmed from a traffic stop. Police said Warfield had a blood alcohol level of .189 percent, more than double Kansas' .08 percent legal limit."

He didn't enter his guilty plea until January of this year. I'm not sure the league was in a position to suspend him until after the disposition of his case. I don't think it made much of a difference if his suspension was announced in February or today. There was only so much money to spend on top free agents.

htismaqe
07-12-2005, 07:10 PM
I'm just tuning back into this thread and i don't know if this has been addressed yet, but I don't think you are referring to the correct section.

Alcohol violations are different - III(B):

B. Alcohol-Related Offenses.

The Commissioner will review and may impose a fine, suspension, or other appropriate discipline if a player is convicted of or admits to a violation of the law (including within the context of a diversionary program, deferred adjudication, disposition of supervision, or similar arrangement including but not limited to nolo contendere) relating to the use of alcohol. Absent aggravating circumstances, discipline for a first offense will generally be a fine of one-half (1/2) of one-seventeenth (1/17) of the amount in Paragraph 5 of the NFL Player Contract to a maximum of $20,000. If the Commissioner finds that there were aggravating circumstances, including but not limited to felonious conduct or serious injury or death of third parties, and/or if the player has had prior drug or alcohol-related misconduct, increased discipline up to and including suspension may be imposed. Discipline for a second or subsequent offense is likely to be a suspension, the duration of which may escalate for repeat offenses.

Yeah, jspchief and I both brought that up after you left. He was charged with a felony AND his felony involved alchohol and/or drugs.

That's pretty much a 4-game suspension, first offense or not.

shaneo69
07-12-2005, 07:42 PM
Other message boards are saying that the KC organization isn't too happy with Warfield and his agent going public about the 4 game suspension. I guess the KC organization was lobbying for a 2 game suspension. To this moment, the league has not contacted any member of the KC organization to inform them of their decision.

It sounds like Warfield and his agent may have went public with it sooner than the KC organization wanted them to.

F*ck the organization. Carl's probably got Rufus working on an article right now that rips Warfield's agent for releasing this info before the King could get the "official" news on KCChiefs.com. Or maybe Rufus' article will blame the media for reporting what the agent told them.

In any event, I'm a little disappointed HuddleClubKid didn't inform us of this news yesterday.

TRR
07-12-2005, 07:45 PM
F*ck the organization. Carl's probably got Rufus working on an article right now that rips Warfield's agent for releasing this info before the King could get the "official" news on KCChiefs.com. Or maybe Rufus' article will blame the media for reporting what the agent told them.

In any event, I'm a little disappointed HuddleClubKid didn't inform us of this news yesterday.

Steady...

mikey23545
07-12-2005, 08:13 PM

Damn, dude, you really have some issues...

shaneo69
07-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Damn, dude, you really have some issues...

I think it all started when I was about five, doc.....

Wile_E_Coyote
07-12-2005, 08:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2106473

In a move anticipated for several months, the NFL on Tuesday suspended Kansas City Chiefs (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=kan) starting cornerback Eric Warfield (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=4445) for the first four games of the 2005 season, the sanctions coming as a result of multiple DUI convictions.

The suspension will cost the Chiefs a talented cover defender, one who has started in all but one game over the last four seasons, and will cost Warfield $776,470 in base salary. That amount represents four-seventeenths of the $3.3 million base salary that Warfield was scheduled to earn in 2005.

Warfield, 29, was arrested for DUI on Sept. 20, 2004 in Overland Park, Kan., and police reports indicated that he had a blood alcohol level of .189 at the time, more than double Kansas' legal limit of .08. Warfield pleaded no contest in January to the felony charges. He was sentenced to 10 days in jail and 80 days of house arrest, was fined $1,500 and ordered to perform 100 hours of community service.

The DUI conviction was the third for Warfield, who is also serving one year probation, and the only surprise in Tuesday's action was that the NFL took as long as it did to levee the sanctions against the former Nebraska star. At one point last month, in fact, Warfield acknowledged some frustration in not knowing when the NFL would resolve his status.

A seven-year veteran, Warfield has assumed for several months he would be sanctioned by the league, and spoke openly about that likelihood during the offseason. Warfield has said in the past he would abide by the NFL's decision.

During a mandatory June minicamp, in anticipation that Warfield would be suspended for the start of the season, Kansas City coaches demoted him to the No. 2 unit and began to prepare third-year veteran Julian Battle to open the '05 season as the starter. But Battle suffered a season-ending Achilles' injury during the minicamp, and the Chiefs then signed 13-year veteran Ashley Ambrose as an unrestricted free agent.

Ambrose is expected to battle Dexter McCleon for the starting spot opposite standout cover corner Patrick Surtain, obtained from the Miami Dolphins just before the draft for a second-round selection. Kansas City coaches have indicated they prefer to keep McCleon at the nickel cornerback spot if possible.

Chosen in the seventh round of the '98 draft, Warfield has been a mainstay of the Kansas City secondary since breaking into the starting lineup full-time in 2001. For his career, he has 308 tackles, 19 interceptions and 70 passes defensed. Warfield, who has appeared in 104 games, with 68 starts, has four interceptions in each of the last four seasons.

StcChief
07-12-2005, 09:05 PM
Lazy MO FO. Why can't he afford a limo/taxi.
It's not like its his first conviction.

The Chiefs need a 'watcher/helper' for this guy. WTF.

chiefz
07-12-2005, 09:05 PM

I got the information from Domann and Pittman shortly after the story had already leaked to 810 already. KFFL and KCStar had already posted copied stories from 810.

At that point I they were ready to make a public statement on it.

I'm not even sure that piece from Craig was sent anywhere else, they are likely waiting on comments directly from Eric. At least I haven't seen it printed anywhere else yet.

keg in kc
07-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Well, that sucks.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-12-2005, 09:27 PM
Looks like we better sign Tay Diggs.

CosmicPal
07-12-2005, 09:28 PM
Good thing we still have Bartee

chiefz
07-12-2005, 09:31 PM
Good thing we still have Bartee

and McCleon...

Perhaps McCleon and ride on Bartee's shoulders and combined they can swat down a pass.