PDA

View Full Version : Poll : Who should start in Warfields place

royr17
07-13-2005, 12:28 AM
With Eric Warfield out now since he's been suspended by the NFL, which Cornerback on our team should start in his place.

Poll fourth coming.

royr17
07-13-2005, 12:31 AM
I picked Alphonso Hodge cause I simply dont want McCleon or Ambrose starting cause they are too damn old.

Simplex3
07-13-2005, 12:33 AM
I picked Alphonso Hodge cause I simply dont want McCleon or Ambrose starting cause they are too damn old.
Ambrose is the man. Warfield won't get his job back. Mark my words.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
07-13-2005, 12:40 AM
that's no reason

Rausch
07-13-2005, 12:41 AM

5 years ago I would have agreed with you. He always had talent but Father Time seems to be catching up to him...

royr17
07-13-2005, 12:45 AM

And tell me again why wont he ?

Simplex3
07-13-2005, 12:46 AM
5 years ago I would have agreed with you. He always had talent but Father Time seems to be catching up to him...
He had a year to rest but still get playing time last year, his body should be responding great right now. Ambrose will have it over Warfield because he won't release the WR until the safty help is in position. He'll be able to steer the receiver into the coverage instead of letting the guy get outside and beat him on the sidelines. Warfield has gotten better but he still has mental lapses. The only way I see Ambrose not getting and keeping that job is if his speed just totally disappeared in the offseason.

royr17
07-13-2005, 12:46 AM
Hodge is young, and is someone to groom, i would rather but someone young out there instead of a old dog that hasnt done anything in years and is washed up.

royr17
07-13-2005, 12:47 AM
Simplex must be one of those Warfield haters.

Simplex3
07-13-2005, 12:50 AM
Simplex must be one of those Warfield haters.
ROFL

Hell, he may well have been our best defender last year. I'm not even saying that he's not good. I've watched Ambrose play, the guy is smart. Warfield's strength was never inside his helmet.

With the new league rules on pass defense you need to be smarter than the wideout. I think that veteran savy will put Ambrose over the top.

Hammock Parties
07-13-2005, 12:52 AM
Hodge is young, and is someone to groom, i would rather but someone young out there instead of a old dog that hasnt done anything in years and is washed up.

Hodge is a mid round rookie. Definitely not prepared for a starting job. WTF are you thinking?

Simplex3
07-13-2005, 12:55 AM
So you would have sat Lynch, Brooks, and Sapp down during the Bucs Super Bowl year to groom the young guys?

This year is all about this year. This team will collapse under it's own weight and the fact that the O-line is going to be a massive retirement-fest. The O-line retirement will spur Green and Holmes to get out (why take the beating?).

You'll have plenty of time to groom some young guys in the '07 season.

Prince22
07-13-2005, 01:00 AM
SCANLON

07-13-2005, 01:01 AM
I don't see how anybody could want a CB who had 0 career INTs in his college career to start in his rookie year. You can tell me INTs are overrated or about his nice forty time, but I wouldn't care. I hope he turns out for the chiefs, but having 0 INTs while starting 3 of 4 years in the MAC is just terrible.

royr17
07-13-2005, 01:14 AM
So you would have sat Lynch, Brooks, and Sapp down during the Bucs Super Bowl year to groom the young guys?

This year is all about this year. This team will collapse under it's own weight and the fact that the O-line is going to be a massive retirement-fest. The O-line retirement will spur Green and Holmes to get out (why take the beating?).

You'll have plenty of time to groom some young guys in the '07 season.

Nope because those are superstars compared to Ambrose and McCleon.

royr17
07-13-2005, 01:15 AM
I don't see how anybody could want a CB who had 0 career INTs in his college career to start in his rookie year. You can tell me INTs are overrated or about his nice forty time, but I wouldn't care. I hope he turns out for the chiefs, but having 0 INTs while starting 3 of 4 years in the MAC is just terrible.

Didnt know he had 0 ints. Hell start Benny Sapp then.

Spicy McHaggis
07-13-2005, 01:19 AM
Ambrose should get the nod. Let Sapp play in as the nickel if he's ready.

royr17
07-13-2005, 01:22 AM
If Ambrose is so good, then why didnt he start last year and is still with New Orleans ?

07-13-2005, 01:26 AM
I like Sapp and his attitude. Wasn't he calling out Moss last year in TC? I hope he does well this season, but I just can't see him starting.

Spicy McHaggis
07-13-2005, 01:27 AM
If Ambrose is so good, then why didnt he start last year and is still with New Orleans ?

Because its N'awlins, The team that has its collective head up its collective ass. Their starting CB wasn't suspended four games either.

I'm not saying I like it but at this point I think you go with the veteran.

Simplex3
07-13-2005, 01:31 AM
Their coach had a major hardon for a youth movement. A lot of people around the team said Ambrose was clearly the better player but the job was given to the young guy. Instead of turning into a team cancer like many guys would Ambrose spent the year coaching up the younger guy. THAT is the kind of guy you want on your team.

el borracho
07-13-2005, 01:35 AM
What, no Ty Law option?

Only teasing. Ambrose should start. If Ambrose doesn't start those 4 games then I don't know why we signed him.

Simplex3
07-13-2005, 01:39 AM
What, no Ty Law option?

Only teasing. Ambrose should start. If Ambrose doesn't start those 4 games then I don't know why we signed him.
...because unlike Dexter McCleon his next career won't be in midget tossing... as the tossee.

Rausch
07-13-2005, 02:52 AM
I don't see how anybody could want a CB who had 0 career INTs in his college career to start in his rookie year.

Wow. That's beyond suck.

Bartee even got a ****ing INT in college. More than one...

royr17
07-13-2005, 03:41 AM
Somethin i've been wondering, since Warfields suspended for 4 games can he play in the preseason games before the season ?

DaWolf
07-13-2005, 05:09 AM
Somethin i've been wondering, since Warfields suspended for 4 games can he play in the preseason games before the season ?
Yes I believe so...

htismaqe
07-13-2005, 07:23 AM
Ambrose will start in place of Warfield. If Ambrose can stay healthy, Warfield won't get his job back.

alpha_omega
07-13-2005, 08:03 AM
I guess I would have to say Ambrose....
but i think i would like to wait till camp to make a firm decision.

Sam
07-13-2005, 08:05 AM
TC will tell who's going to be the starter opposite of Surtain. It could be Ambrose but maybe not. I'll support whoever they put out there though. As far as the Raiders and Moss go, if they suspect Moss is going to be running the fly pattern why not stick the nickel on the field with Hodge paired up against him and a safety deep to help out?

I truely don't think Ambrose is a starter for the whole year. I think he's just insurance for Warfield's suspension. If he was really that good he wouldn't have been available to the Chiefs. Warfield should win/earn his job back though.

milkman
07-13-2005, 08:28 AM
Ambrose will start in place of Warfield. If Ambrose can stay healthy, Warfield won't get his job back.

I think Ambrose is a solid corner with vet savvy, that can man the position credibly while Warfield is out.
If he hasn't lost too much in the speed department, I could envision his play outshining Warfield's.

However, I think you guys that are saying that Ambrose will not lose the job when Warfield's suspension is competed are forgetting about one important factor.

The coaching staff with the collective heads up their ass won't make that change.

StcChief
07-13-2005, 08:36 AM
Sapp since he has more experience than Hodge.

No matter he will need help regularly on deep routes.

Pray for a real good D rush for these first 4 weeks.

ct
07-13-2005, 08:39 AM
At this point, pre-TC, I'd say Ambrose. But there are many questions to be answered in the next few weeks. I'd say Ambrose, McCleon, or Sapp are the candidates, don't see much chance for Hodge or Perkins, those guys are fighting to make the roster.

Then there is always the Ty Law thing... :)

htismaqe
07-13-2005, 08:40 AM
I think Ambrose is a solid corner with vet savvy, that can man the position credibly while Warfield is out.
If he hasn't lost too much in the speed department, I could envision his play outshining Warfield's.

However, I think you guys that are saying that Ambrose will not lose the job when Warfield's suspension is competed are forgetting about one important factor.

The coaching staff with the collective heads up their ass won't make that change.

Gunther has always been a Warfield critic. Add to that the report that the team is upset with Warfield and his agent making this public before they were ready, and you have the recipe for Warfield not getting his starting job back no matter WHO replaces him...

Chiefnj
07-13-2005, 09:16 AM
Gunther has always been a Warfield critic. Add to that the report that the team is upset with Warfield and his agent making this public before they were ready, and you have the recipe for Warfield not getting his starting job back no matter WHO replaces him...

For Warfield to lose his job one of several things would have to happen:

1. Guinta gets fired and a real secondary coach is hired who can get Sapp, Hodge or Perkins ready to play.
2. Ambrose would have to find the fountain of youth.
3. McLeon would have to have a career year; or
4. Warfield would have to violate the law or NFL policy and get a bigger suspension.

The only likely scenario of the above, IMO is #4.

milkman
07-13-2005, 09:26 AM

I've always felt that Gun's critisism of Warfield was more motivational than any real negative vibe.

I always had the impression that Gun liked Warfield's physical presence, but that he had to ride him hard to get the best out of him, to continue his development at corner.

I'd be surprised, also, if the fact that Warfield and his agent revealing the news as they did has any impact on the decision to sit or play Warfield when October rolls around.

Mr. Kotter
07-13-2005, 09:47 AM
It's too early to know, but Ambrose at this point.

I'm hoping Hodge makes it impossible for Gun to deny him the spot though.

RedThat
07-13-2005, 10:05 AM
Sign Law!:D

htismaqe
07-13-2005, 10:58 AM
For Warfield to lose his job one of several things would have to happen:

1. Guinta gets fired and a real secondary coach is hired who can get Sapp, Hodge or Perkins ready to play.
2. Ambrose would have to find the fountain of youth.
3. McLeon would have to have a career year; or
4. Warfield would have to violate the law or NFL policy and get a bigger suspension.

The only likely scenario of the above, IMO is #4.

Ambrose has showed no signs of age previously. He was HURT last year, which happens to 24 year olds as well as 34 year olds.

He's pretty much equal to Warfield without the disciplinary problems.

Scorp
07-13-2005, 11:05 AM
FY Lucking TAW!

Chiefnj
07-13-2005, 11:20 AM
Ambrose has showed no signs of age previously. He was HURT last year, which happens to 24 year olds as well as 34 year olds.

He's pretty much equal to Warfield without the disciplinary problems.

24 year olds have a much better chance of recovering from a knee injury that puts them on IR as opposed to a 34 year old.

htismaqe
07-13-2005, 11:54 AM
24 year olds have a much better chance of recovering from a knee injury that puts them on IR as opposed to a 34 year old.

Yes, but until he does or does not come back, we have nothing factual to base anything on other than previous performance.

go bo
07-13-2005, 12:21 PM
and the chiefs have surely examined him and worked him out and know what he's capable of doing physically and whether he's fully recovered...

i would think that he is, or they would have signed one of the other candidates (i hope)...

Thig Lyfe
07-13-2005, 12:26 PM
Ty Law!!!!111

Chiefnj
07-13-2005, 12:40 PM
Yes, but until he does or does not come back, we have nothing factual to base anything on other than previous performance.

I think it was a necessary signing, but at age 34 it is unrealistic to think that the guy hasn't lost a step. He made the Pro Bowl 10 years ago. Unfortunately, he's still probably better than McLeon, Hodge and Sapp at this point.

htismaqe
07-13-2005, 12:44 PM
I think it was a necessary signing, but at age 34 it is unrealistic to think that the guy hasn't lost a step. He made the Pro Bowl 10 years ago. Unfortunately, he's still probably better than McLeon, Hodge and Sapp at this point.

2004 stats:

Warfield - 4 INT's
McCleon - 2 INT's
Sapp - 1 INT

rest of KC CB's combined - ZERO INT's

Ashley Ambrose in NINE games - 3 INT's

Ambrose is absolutely better than anyone else on our roster. And whether or not you feel he's better than Warfield, it's at the very least DEBATABLE.

ct
07-13-2005, 01:21 PM
Anyone have any video clips of ambrose?

ptlyon
07-13-2005, 01:22 PM
Anyone have any video clips of ambrose?

Doing what?

milkman
07-13-2005, 01:30 PM
2004 stats:

Warfield - 4 INT's
McCleon - 2 INT's
Sapp - 1 INT

rest of KC CB's combined - ZERO INT's

Ashley Ambrose in NINE games - 3 INT's

Ambrose is absolutely better than anyone else on our roster. And whether or not you feel he's better than Warfield, it's at the very least DEBATABLE.

I'm not debating the merits of Warfield vs. Ambrose.

But Warfield's relatively small number of int's can be attributed, at least in part, if not in whole, to the fact that QBs threw the ball to McPasOn/Bartee's side consistently.

royr17
07-13-2005, 01:34 PM
So Ambrose is better then Surtain ?

htismaqe
07-13-2005, 02:11 PM
So Ambrose is better then Surtain ?

LAST YEAR'S roster. :rolleyes:

whoman69
07-13-2005, 02:33 PM
I have to believe Ambrose is good enough to fill in for a few games. I know I can't say that about McCleon. I probably can't say that about Sapp. Who knows anything about the rookie?