PDA

View Full Version : Why so many film remakes this year?

Electric
07-13-2005, 09:31 AM
It seems like the film industry has run out of creative minds.

I know that sometimes the remakes are better than the old movies, but once a movie is done it shouldn't be messed with.

It's almost like they won't take a chance on something that they conceived themselves but would rather bank on someone elses ideas.

What next? A new Animal House?

chagrin
07-13-2005, 09:35 AM
because Hollywood has no answers left. Movies have become desperatley redundant; a sad reflection of "mainstream" society today....hey, cast a creepy kid and, get some shitty "rock" band to do a song and pull an old episode of the twilight zone out of the basement, and voila! There's yer new "blockbuster"...marketing and spin, it's all shit!

MOhillbilly
07-13-2005, 09:36 AM
cause hollywood is running outta commies?

Ghostof
07-13-2005, 09:48 AM
Why so many reposts about hollywood remaking remakes this year is my question.

everything has been done

there needs to be some fresh talent director to blow out the movie industry. Think about it, movies were in a slum for awhile in the 90's...there was nothing really to look forward to then bam:

Forrest Gump and Pulp Fiction came out and blew audiences away

theres no lord of the rings movies to look forward too...no more star wars

sure, if you like harry potter...theres a damn potter flick at least once a year to help keep the franchise going....and sure we have king kong to watch for...although thats another remake

what would be nice is to see peter jackson go back and do THE HOBBITT

then all will be complete! Other than that, after seeing all the star wars...empire being the best one...i dont really want to see another star wars

I hear they are making more game to movie adaptations...like HALO and DOOM...whats going to be next...Grand Theft Auto? althought I would get akick out of that...running around the city watching some jackass like jack black curb some fool, jack his car and drive down...pick up some hooker and get some health back, then run back out in the city and cause carnage...complete some quests for cash and respect...etc

maybe even a gauntlet type movie or a better dungeons and dragons movie

theres gotta be some people out there with ideas

hell, i'm to the point of watching lego pron for ideas on better movies

ever see the lego translation of texas chainsaw massacre? thats classic

Count Alex's Losses
07-13-2005, 10:08 AM
There are alot of good books out there that need to be made into movies. Heck there are alot of good games I wouldn't mind seeing as movies. Here's my unofficial list of games/books that I'm dying to see on the big screen:

1. The Dig (both a game and a book by Alan Dean Foster. Based on a concept by Steven Spielberg)
2. Clive Barker's Undying
3. Half-Life (probably wouldn't work, but the format presents a unique opportunity)
4. The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy by K.W. Jeter (Books - Mandalorian Armor/Slave Ship/Hard Merchandise).
5. Subterranean by James Rollins.
6. Sundiver by David Brin

HC_Chief
07-13-2005, 10:15 AM
Whay so many remakes? That's easy: SAFE MONEY.

Rather than take the risk of producing an original that flops (see: Cinderella Man) reproduce a movie that was a hit (Bad News Bears... ugg, can't believe they remade that movie - the original is as good today as when it was released in the 70s). No thought involved that way.

I must admit, I am looking forward to seeing Burton's Charlie 7 the Chocolate Factory - I have heard good things and the bizarre story fits Burton's bizarre style.

Saulbadguy
07-13-2005, 10:16 AM
Some movies beg to be remade. I love some of the remakes that come out.

The Pedestrian
07-13-2005, 11:17 AM
Some movies beg to be remade. I love some of the remakes that come out.

Yeah, but quite a few of these movies are either considered untouchables or only usable if you use the same plot...this is why someone should be beat within an inch of their lives for the remaking "The Honeymooners" and "House of Wax".

Rain Man
07-13-2005, 11:33 AM
Remakes = low risk, high reward

Original ideas = higher risk, more question about reward

The magic of market research says "go with remakes." It's a strategy that will only work in the short term, though.

homey
07-13-2005, 11:48 AM
They make em because our society eats it up. Same with reality TV and fox news. They keep us from thinking. "Go to bed America, here's your survivor, here's your latest Herby movie, go back to sleep now America..."

HC_Chief
07-13-2005, 11:49 AM
They make em because our society eats it up. Same with reality TV and fox news. They keep us from thinking. "Go to bed America, here's your survivor, here's your latest Herby movie, go back to sleep now America..."

ROFL
I can actually see your tinfoil hat through that post.

Jenson71
07-13-2005, 12:00 PM
There is no shortage of "new" ideas in the world.

1. Fantastic Four ($ 56.1/$ 56.1)
2. War of the Worlds ($ 30.5/$ 165.0) REMAKE
3. Batman Begins ($ 10.0/$ 171.9) SEQUEL
4. Dark Water ($ 9.9/$ 9.9) REMAKE
5. Mr. and Mrs. Smith ($ 7.9/$ 158.7)
6. Herbie: Fully Loaded ($ 6.1/$ 48.3) SEQUEL
7. Bewitched ($ 5.6/$ 50.9)
8. Madagascar ($ 4.0/$ 179.3)
9. Rebound ($ 3.0/$ 11.5)
10. Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith ($ 2.6/$ 370.8) SEQUEL

165 + 171 + 10 + 48 + 370 = lots of money

Electric
07-13-2005, 12:05 PM
The reality TV shows really suck.

The survivor TV shows really suck.

The current trend in TV is the crime investigation shows, how many series do we have with that shtick?

NCIS, Law and Order, CIS times how many?

Some one needs to take some of the better TV shows and make movies with them and show us the goods with the hot women in the shows! It didn't work before, but why not?

BigMeatballDave
07-13-2005, 12:07 PM
theres no lord of the rings movies to look forward too...This is actually good news...

HC_Chief
07-13-2005, 12:08 PM
TV sucks, period.

There are VERY few programs actually worth watching: Family Guy, American Dad, [Adult Swim], sports. Discovery Channel(s), History Channel(s), and to a lesser degree TLC have good programming, but that's it IMO.

The Pedestrian
07-13-2005, 12:12 PM

War of the Worlds was never a movie, so technically it's not a remake. I'll give ya Dark Water, but SW3 was a movie that George Lucas and his buddies had written back in the times of the "original" SW movies and would've filmed back then if they had better technology.

HC_Chief
07-13-2005, 12:15 PM
War of the Worlds was never a movie, so technically it's not a remake. I'll give ya Dark Water, but SW3 was a movie that George Lucas and his buddies had written back in the times of the "original" SW movies and would've filmed back then if they had better technology.

:spock:
War of the Worlds was originally released in 1953 <a href="http://imdb.com/title/tt0046534/">link</a>

I call bullshit on the "Lucas had the stories written in the 70s and would have filmed them if the technology were there" line. He had a rough outline, but wrote the screenplays well after the fact (and did a shite job at that IMO).

Phobia
07-13-2005, 12:18 PM

I don't pretend to have any dorky Star Wars knowledge, but I can recognize the differences between "remake" and "sequel".

Electric
07-13-2005, 12:24 PM

You've probably been bombarded with rebukes for the War of the Worlds line, but if it wasn't a movie what was it? At TV show? The original book was converted to a radio broadcast that shocked America. The movie that was made in the 50's was really good for the time and technology that was available.

1. Fantastic Four ($ 56.1/$ 56.1) Old Comic book characters
7. Bewitched ($ 5.6/$ 50.9) Old TV Show

We need some more original ideas for movies. I bet we can come up with a story line that would make us all millionaires!! How about it?

Jenson71
07-13-2005, 12:27 PM
We need some more original ideas for movies. I bet we can come up with a story line that would make us all millionaires!! How about it?

I wish it were that easy. You have to sell it to the big guys.

Rain Man
07-13-2005, 12:27 PM

Um, I'm about to leave for lunch. Maybe some other time.

keg in kc
07-13-2005, 12:29 PM
It's the studio execs. As was pointed out earlier by a couple of people, rehashing old property is viewed as "safer" than going for an original idea. It's the same in TV, also; that's why you see so many similar series. Suits don't always like taking risks. There are probably hundreds of great scripts out there right now that will never see the light of day.

I think we the audience (in general) should also shoulder some of the blame. We are apathy. We want american idol and survivor. We don't want anything thought-provoking or original. The fact that property like that (movie or TV) doesn't sell tickets or garner ratings is what leads the execs to make the decisions they do.

HC_Chief
07-13-2005, 12:32 PM
I think we the audience (in general) should also shoulder some of the blame. We are apathy. We want american idol and survivor. We don't want anything thought-provoking or original.

I was hopeful that it was changing... with the reports of Hollywood's box office slump kicking the executive schmuck's asses; but alas, that hope was dashed with the release of Fantastic Four. :rolleyes:
Appears we were just waiting for the shiny braindead crap in the bright spandex.

keg in kc
07-13-2005, 12:40 PM
The problem is that the advent of DVD and TiVO/DVR has had such an enormous impact on the video entertainment industry that it's more difficult to gauge success based only on ratings numbers and ticket sales. Well, maybe "problem" is the wrong word, but I think the point's clear enough. The convenience of DVD paired with the continued progression of home entertainment technology, video and audio alike, at prices most of the general public can afford, has made watching at home so much more enjoyable than it was 15 or 20 years ago. I know that, speaking personally, there was a 2-3 year period where I rarely went to see a movie on the big screen, although that's changed this year. And now you can watch entire TV series on disk, or you can TiVO shows that run against each other. It's a different world. Major releases are geared as much towards DVD sales as box office numbers now, it seems.

Electric
07-13-2005, 12:42 PM
Um, I'm about to leave for lunch. Maybe some other time.

What no original thoughts? You can play the guy that is always out to lunch.

Count Alex's Losses
07-13-2005, 12:54 PM
I don't pretend to have any dorky Star Wars knowledge, but I can recognize the differences between "remake" and "sequel".

It's neither. It's a prequel.

Saulbadguy
07-13-2005, 12:56 PM
You've probably been bombarded with rebukes for the War of the Worlds line, but if it wasn't a movie what was it? At TV show? The original book was converted to a radio broadcast that shocked America. The movie that was made in the 50's was really good for the time and technology that was available.

1. Fantastic Four ($ 56.1/$ 56.1) Old Comic book characters
7. Bewitched ($ 5.6/$ 50.9) Old TV Show

I'd disagree about Batman Begins being a Sequel. Its really not, IMO.

Jenson71
07-13-2005, 12:58 PM
The star wars nerds are being difficult.

Phobia
07-13-2005, 12:59 PM
It's neither. It's a prequel.

Shut up. For purposes of post #12 in this thread, it's a sequel.

The Pedestrian
07-13-2005, 12:59 PM
:spock:
War of the Worlds was originally released in 1953 <a href="http://imdb.com/title/tt0046534/">link</a>

I call bullshit on the "Lucas had the stories written in the 70s and would have filmed them if the technology were there" line. He had a rough outline, but wrote the screenplays well after the fact (and did a shite job at that IMO).

Sorry bout the War of the Worlds mishap then...I was concentrating too much on the radio craze.

Back when Phantom Menace was getting ready for the big screen, they had interviews and behind the scene stuff on FOX in between the Sunday night shows...the one thing I remember best is that George Lucas said that they had all of the stuff written back in the 70's, but there were too many special effects in the first three movies for them to film at the time.

HC_Chief
07-13-2005, 01:01 PM
Back when Phantom Menace was getting ready for the big screen, they had interviews and behind the scene stuff on FOX in between the Sunday night shows...the one thing I remember best is that George Lucas said that they had all of the stuff written back in the 70's, but there were too many special effects in the first three movies for them to film at the time.

Yeah, I saw that as well. I'm calling BS on Lucas, not you ;)

The Pedestrian
07-13-2005, 01:02 PM

Sure, get all the CP regulars together and we'll make the best and completely original movie ever....

Thig Lyfe
07-13-2005, 01:07 PM
Bewitched sucked a bucket.

Swanman
07-13-2005, 01:14 PM
It's the studio execs. As was pointed out earlier by a couple of people, rehashing old property is viewed as "safer" than going for an original idea. It's the same in TV, also; that's why you see so many similar series. Suits don't always like taking risks. There are probably hundreds of great scripts out there right now that will never see the light of day.

Hopefully shows like Rescue Me and Deadwood will shake the tv industry out of that rut.

Count Alex's Losses
07-13-2005, 01:25 PM
Sorry bout the War of the Worlds mishap then...I was concentrating too much on the radio craze.

Lucas wrote the general outline...but Jar Jar was NOT created in the 70s.

whoman69
07-13-2005, 02:07 PM

I would add Bewitched as a remake since its a remake of a TV show. They are made for the same reason that so many songs are remade. Nostalgia impact and not alot of creativity to make them. I remember at one point in the 80s it seemed that almost every pop song out there was a remake. They even did "I'm your Venus" and actually managed to make it suck even more.

keg in kc
07-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Hopefully shows like Rescue Me and Deadwood will shake the tv industry out of that rut.Problem is, they don't draw the kind of ratings that the mainstream network shows do. The best shows may be (are, IMO) on cable, but they just don't have the viewership. Deadwood's ratings were down from last year. Carnivale got cancelled. The Wire nearly got cancelled. I'm not sure what kind of ratings shows like The Shield and Rescue Me get, but I'd be willing to bet they're not anywhere near the top-20 (overall, not just on cable) on the Nielsens.

Hell, I think last week's top-rated show was ABC's Dancing with the Stars.

That tells us pretty much all we need to know.