PDA

View Full Version : Grisby could start

Coach
07-13-2005, 08:39 AM
Haven't seen this posted. If a re-post, my apologies.

From KFFL

Chiefs | Grigsby could Start
Wed, 13 Jul 2005 04:52:07 -0700

Randy Reinhardt, of pantagraph.com, reports Kansas City Chiefs rookie LB Boomer Grigsby is trying to become the Chiefs' starting middle linebacker. "I believe I'm entering camp No. 2, but (defensive coordinator) Gunther (Cunningham) has stated that position is open," Grigsby said Tuesday, July 12. "I'm going to make every effort to try to take that spot." Grigsby played exclusively in the middle during Kansas City's mini camp and OTAs (organized team activities). Grigsby checks in at 5-foot-11, 249 pounds. As a middle linebacker, Grigsby was calling signals and making adjustments for a defense he has only recently learned. Grigsby said the Chiefs' defense fits his talents "ideally." So far, the Chiefs have been impressed by Grigsby. "He's a natural leader who has come in here with a chip on his shoulder," Kansas City director of college scouting Chuck Cook said on the kcchiefs.com web site. He also hopes to sign a contract soon, possibly by the end of the week.

htismaqe
07-13-2005, 08:41 AM
The title of this thread should have been:

Grigsby could Start...according to Grigsby

stevieray
07-13-2005, 08:44 AM

I like it! nice to see that kind of motivation.

Brock
I wish I had known that's all it took.

KChiefs1
Grigsby tackling Chiefs linebacking job

By Randy Reinhardt
rreinhardt@pantagraph.com

Advertisement

NORMAL -- Boomer Grigsby has had 18 practices of intense on-the-job training with the Kansas City Chiefs.
As a result, the former Illinois State All-American isn't just gunning for a spot on the roster. He wants a spot on the field as the Chiefs' starter at middle linebacker.

"I believe I'm entering camp No. 2, but (defensive coordinator) Gunther (Cunningham) has stated that position is open," Grigsby said Tuesday. "I'm going to make every effort to try to take that spot."

While NFL scouts were uncertain whether Grigsby would be quick enough to play outside linebacker or big enough to play inside, the 5-foot-11, 249-pounder played exclusively in the middle during Kansas City's mini camp and OTAs (organized team activities).

"That's the only spot I've rolled at. I played with the twos (second team) and threes (third team) so I took more reps than probably anybody," said the Chiefs' fifth round draft choice. "I tried to act like a veteran and not a rookie. I took that mentality, and it worked for me."

Grigsby likes the fiery Cunningham.

"Gunther is known for his (colorful) language and aggression and how tough he is," said Grigsby. "He's the kind of coach I like to play for. I'd rather have a swift kick in the butt than a pat on the back. I would already fight for him, and I've known him for a short time."

As a middle linebacker, Grigsby was calling signals and making adjustments for a defense he has only recently learned.

"I don't really think it was that tough. I have a solid position coach in Fred Pagac. He's really good at getting it across in a way I can understand it," said the three-time Gateway Conference Defensive Player of the Year.

"You have to be bold and blunt. You can't be biting your fingernails making calls. You have to be confident and aggressive. The best way to learn something is to do it, and that's what I got."

Grigsby said the Chiefs' defense fits his talents "ideally. It's a 4-3 scheme and the middle linebacker needs to be fast. I had to run down the field with (wide receiver) Dante Hall on fly routes. I'm not as fast, but there's technique to it. I got a head start."

Grigsby, who will battle current first team middle linebacker Kawika Mitchell among others for playing time, has impressed the Chiefs thus far.

"He's a natural leader who has come in here with a chip on his shoulder," Kansas City director of college scouting Chuck Cook said on the kcchiefs.com Web site. "Guys coming out of I-AA football have that. But he's already shown that the game is not too big for him."

Grigsby was the second linebacker chosen by the Chiefs in the NFL Draft. Derrick Johnson was the team's first round pick and is playing outside linebacker.

"They were looking for fast, aggressive, head hunter linebackers," Grigsby said. "That's why they drafted me and Derrick Johnson."

Grigsby, who expects to play on most if not all of the Chiefs' special teams units, knows he needs to continue to impress his coaches in training camp beginning July 27 in River Falls, Wis.

"Knowing the defense is one thing, but it's also doing the fundamentals right," he said. "I need to make as many plays as I can in training camp and prove I'm a playmaker and an asset to them on the field. You're good enough to be here. You have to seize the opportunity. I don't have a doubt in my mind I can play here."

Grigsby expects to finalize his first professional contract soon, possibly by the end of the week.

He will receive a base salary of $238,000 if he is on the Kansas City roster for the entire season. The sides are discussing how much of Grigsby's signing bonus he will get right away.

It is common for teams to hold back 20 percent of a signing bonus until a player shows he will participate in off season conditioning programs.

"I feel like Kansas City knows I'm not going to miss off season workouts," he said. "So I would like for them to remove that."

Grigsby and the Chiefs have agreed the contract will be for three years.

"After the third year, if you performed well at all you immediately go from making 380 (thousand) to almost double that," he said. "In the NFL, the money is in your second contract."

DenverChief

wah...yous guys are gonna be eatin crows...

ct
07-13-2005, 08:46 AM
Wow, KFFL is pretty known for publishing anything and everything they can get thier hands on, but this is out there! What the he!! is pantagraph.com? ah of course, his hometown newspaper

And I agree with parker, that would have been a perfectly appropriate heading.

munkey
07-13-2005, 08:49 AM
"After the third year, if you performed well at all you immediately go from making 380 (thousand) to almost double that," he said. "In the NFL, the money is in your second contract."

Refreshing to know he understands that....

Coach
07-13-2005, 08:50 AM
Wow, KFFL is pretty known for publishing anything and everything they can get thier hands on, but this is out there! What the he!! is pantagraph.com? ah of course, his hometown newspaper

Yeah, KFFL usually gets their hands on the sports paper when they can.

But hell, it was about football, and it was about the Chiefs.

StcChief
07-13-2005, 08:51 AM
Grigsby will be a big challenger at MLB.

Mitchell needs to be ready for some serious competition.

Don't be doubting him, some guys catch on faster than others.

Talk is cheap at this point.

milkman
07-13-2005, 08:51 AM

Hey, if Boomer said it, it must be right.

Or is that Gopher?

Hard to keep the CP Greats separated.

HemiEd
07-13-2005, 08:53 AM
First time I have seen a players name mispelled in the thread title. I mispell my share but this is funny. :) :p

Coach
07-13-2005, 08:55 AM
First time I have seen a players name mispelled in the thread title. I mispell my share but this is funny. :) :p

Heh, I noticed that. I'll fix it.

Just have not been getting enough sleep lately.

milkman
07-13-2005, 09:00 AM

Ok, your avatar is just.........disturbing. :(

DeepSouth
07-13-2005, 09:01 AM
I didn't see Scanlon's name mentioned anywhere in the article.

HemiEd
07-13-2005, 09:06 AM
Heh, I noticed that. I'll fix it.

Just have not been getting enough sleep lately.

Me either Coach, it must be going around. The only reason I mentioned it was due to the fact that I had nothing intelligent to add to the post.

Ok, your avatar is just.........disturbing. :(

Sick, I will fix it for you and Beer Me! For some reason I LMAO everytime I see the dumn picture, so I used it.

jspchief
07-13-2005, 09:13 AM
I respect Boomer's confidence, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to base an article on it.

oaklandhater
07-13-2005, 09:24 AM
If boomer gets the MLB spot can we start calling Kawika Mitchell a bust?

Brock
07-13-2005, 09:25 AM
I respect Boomer's confidence, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to base an article on it.

Obviously, you're not paid by the word.

ptlyon
07-13-2005, 09:27 AM
If boomer gets the MLB spot can we start calling Kawika Mitchell a bust?

Sorry Dawg, he was labeled that last year

ChiefsOne
07-13-2005, 09:27 AM
We need this kind of enthusiasm on the team. I love the attitudes we are getting from Boomer and DJ, believe we are heading in the right direction. Two years and we have hardly heard anything from Mitchell.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Boomer starting on game day.

jspchief
07-13-2005, 09:35 AM
We need this kind of enthusiasm on the team. I love the attitudes we are getting from Boomer and DJ, believe we are heading in the right direction. Two years and we have hardly heard anything from Mitchell.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Boomer starting on game day.I have to agree. We've seen more attitude out of Grigsby in 3 months than we've seen from Mitchell in 2 1/2 years. It may or may not translate to the field, but it's nice to have a few guys with some confidence and a chip on their shoulder.

donkhater
07-13-2005, 09:39 AM
Sorry Dawg, he was labeled that last year
Einsteins on this board had LJ labelled a bust last season as well.

ROYC75
07-13-2005, 09:40 AM
I didn't see Scanlon's name mentioned anywhere in the article.

Imagine that, Boomer article coming from .........By Randy Reinhardt
rreinhardt@pantagraph.com

Advertisement

NORMAL -- Boomer Grigsby has had 18 practices of intense on-the-job training with the Kansas City Chiefs.

That's Normal , IL......

Boomer had mini camps to practice while Rich wasn't there, of course he is going to feel like the # 2 at this time. Gun has said many times the position is open with Mitchell as the leading canidate for the # 1.

# 2 is wide open at this time......

ptlyon
07-13-2005, 09:42 AM
Einsteins on this board had LJ labelled a bust last season as well.

Difference is, Mitchell has had 2 years of playing time to prove the Einsteins wrong.

Don't get me wrong - I want every Chief player to succeed and play well. Even Scanlon. ;) Hell, I'm a fan. I want them to be good every year. It is just frustrating when they are not. But, as per nausim, I accept it when they aren't. Hell, I started being a fan in the late 70's. Talk about a kick in the nuts for over a decade...

oaklandhater
07-13-2005, 09:59 AM
I all most want every Chief player to succeed but Deep down i kind of want to see Kris Wilson be a bust :(

Hog Farmer
07-13-2005, 10:15 AM
I caught a piece of the NFL scounting combine on the NFL network last weekend and they were working the linebackers. When Boomer came up I didnt realize who it was and was saying to myself "Geez this guy is massive, who the hell is he" and then he turned around and I saw his name on his shirt and then said to myself "hell yea" . If his talent is half what his physical characteristics are then we have a stud! I would hate to be the punt returner in his sights!

KCChiefsMan
07-13-2005, 10:20 AM
I like to see that kind of attitude! I hope he does earn the starting spot because Mitchell is mediocre

Mr. Laz
07-13-2005, 10:41 AM
if grigsby is going be starting linebacker they need to pull him OFF of special teams.

save the damage on his body

they just wore Maz out doing both

HemiEd
07-13-2005, 10:45 AM
I all most want every Chief player to succeed but Deep down i kind of want to see Kris Wilson be a bust :(

WTF! :cuss:

shakesthecat
07-13-2005, 10:51 AM

That way he can post the o-so-satisfying "See, I told you I was right" thread.

htismaqe
07-13-2005, 10:52 AM
Difference is, Mitchell has had 2 years of playing time to prove the Einsteins wrong.

Don't get me wrong - I want every Chief player to succeed and play well. Even Scanlon. ;) Hell, I'm a fan. I want them to be good every year. It is just frustrating when they are not. But, as per nausim, I accept it when they aren't. Hell, I started being a fan in the late 70's. Talk about a kick in the nuts for over a decade...

Everybody seems to think Gunther is a genius. Gunther said LB's in his system don't start to get it until the 2nd year. This will be Mitchells 2nd year in the system.

Brock
07-13-2005, 11:09 AM

:rolleyes:

Mr. Laz
07-13-2005, 11:14 AM
Everybody seems to think Gunther is a genius. Gunther said LB's in his system don't start to get it until the 2nd year. This will be Mitchells 2nd year in the system.

starting to cling to that Mitchell thing again

htismaqe
07-13-2005, 11:16 AM
starting to cling to that Mitchell thing again

Nope, just pointing out a double-standard.

Simplex3
07-13-2005, 11:24 AM
Grigsby said the Chiefs' defense fits his talents "ideally. It's a 4-3 scheme and the middle linebacker needs to be fast. I had to run down the field with (wide receiver) Dante Hall on fly routes. I'm not as fast, but there's technique to it. I got a head start."
ROFL

Maybe he can teach that to our DBs. :hmmm:

gblowfish
07-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Grigsby's like 75 years old...and he just had heart surgery. And he drinks a lot. I don't think he should start. He might be able to play corner while Toasty is out. Hey, anybody but Bartee....

What?....

Not Bill? Boomer?

Oh. Never mind.

go bowe
07-13-2005, 12:00 PM
Everybody seems to think Gunther is a genius. Gunther said LB's in his system don't start to get it until the 2nd year. This will be Mitchells 2nd year in the system.yeah, i've heard that second year quite a few times...

do you think gun can get bell and johnson into their second year by opening day?

NewChief
07-13-2005, 12:05 PM
Grigsby's like 75 years old...and he just had heart surgery. And he drinks a lot. I don't think he should start. He might be able to play corner while Toasty is out. Hey, anybody but Bartee....

What?....

Not Bill? Boomer?

Oh. Never mind.

Priiiiiiiiiiice Choppppperrrrrr!

Thig Lyfe
07-13-2005, 12:08 PM
I want to start at middle linebacker too.

DeepSouth
07-13-2005, 12:11 PM
ditto.

htismaqe
07-13-2005, 12:24 PM
It's a 4-3 scheme and the middle linebacker needs to be fast.

Oh boy. There's gonna be some people here that don't agree with THAT.

go bowe
07-13-2005, 12:28 PM
Oh boy. There's gonna be some people here that don't agree with THAT.but there's also a lot of us who remember sharpe running (no, trotting) past maz for what was it? nine touchdowns?

i think we have pretty good speed at mlb with mitchell, grigsby and scanlon (good heavens, i said it? :eek: :eek: :eek: )...

and we need speed at mlb, no matter what anybody says, so there... :harumph: :harumph: :harumph:

htismaqe
07-13-2005, 12:31 PM
but there's also a lot of us who remember sharpe running (no, trotting) past maz for what was it? nine touchdowns?

i think we have pretty good speed at mlb with mitchell, grigsby and scanlon (good heavens, i said it? :eek: :eek: :eek: )...

and we need speed at mlb, no matter what anybody says, so there... :harumph: :harumph: :harumph:

Oh, I absolutely agree. For a team that was so WOEFULLY devoid of speed on defense for the last 8 years, I was a little shocked to see people defending Maz with "the MLB doesn't have to be fast."

go bowe
07-13-2005, 12:34 PM
Oh, I absolutely agree. For a team that was so WOEFULLY devoid of speed on defense for the last 8 years, I was a little shocked to see people defending Maz with "the MLB doesn't have to be fast."i understand the sentimental attachment, i feel the same way about bo (duh!)...

but maz can't compete with these guys anymore...

he's not slow, he's running in glue...

HemiEd
07-13-2005, 12:37 PM
That way he can post the o-so-satisfying "See, I told you I was right" thread.

ditto.

I can not imagine or comprehend wishing anybody on the team less than the greatest success. Once they are a Chief, I am behind them no matter how I felt about them before hand. Andre Rison probably tested me the most on this.

buddha
07-13-2005, 12:49 PM
I can not imagine or comprehend wishing anybody on the team less than the greatest success. Once they are a Chief, I am behind them no matter how I felt about them before hand. Andre Rison probably tested me the most on this.

Oh, I don't know...Elvis Grbeck and Lin Elliot test my fan's patience much more often than did Bad Moon! At least Rison made a play every now and then.

No matter what, I pull for every player on Chiefs to succeed no matter what. It's a team game and we need everybody on the same page. Playing favorites is for junior high girls!

As for people saying "talk is cheap," it usually is. However, don't you get the feeling from Boomer that he is the kind of guy to back up anything he says? I certainly do.

htismaqe
07-13-2005, 12:53 PM
As for people saying "talk is cheap," it usually is. However, don't you get the feeling from Boomer that he is the kind of guy to back up anything he says? I certainly do.

He has to BE ABLE to back up what he says.

This is the NFL, filled with elite athletes.

go bowe
07-13-2005, 01:01 PM
Playing favorites is for junior high girls!
* * *shit...

does this mean my mother lied about when i was born?

even more importantly, do this make me a transgender too?

NJ Chief Fan
07-13-2005, 01:02 PM
i hope boomer does well...this kid seems very likeable i just hope hes not like a fred ex some one who can talk the talk but cant walk the walk

go bowe
07-13-2005, 01:03 PM
He has to BE ABLE to back up what he says.

This is the NFL, filled with elite athletes.with some coaching on his fundamentals and experience with gunther's scheme, i think grigsby sews up the number 2 spot at mlb and may even get some playing time if mitchell is hurt...

oh, wait...

i almost forgot about scanlon... :huh: :huh: :huh:

HemiEd
07-13-2005, 01:05 PM
Oh, I don't know...Elvis Grbeck and Lin Elliot test my fan's patience much more often than did Bad Moon! At least Rison made a play every now and then.

No matter what, I pull for every player on Chiefs to succeed no matter what. It's a team game and we need everybody on the same page. Playing favorites is for junior high girls!

Yes I do, I like his style already.

go bowe
07-13-2005, 01:05 PM
i hope boomer does well...this kid seems very likeable i just hope hes not like a fred ex some one who can talk the talk but cant walk the walkno, run the run...

the guy is big (not tall), strong and fast...

just needs some coaching and experience...

whoman69
07-13-2005, 01:09 PM
I would certainly like to see that there is a better option out there than Mitchell or a patched together Maz, but I'm not holding my breath.

Mr. Laz
07-13-2005, 01:10 PM
I would certainly like to see that there is a better option out there than Mitchell or a patched together Maz, but I'm not holding my breath.

pretty much sums it up

CoMoChief
07-13-2005, 01:19 PM
I have to agree. We've seen more attitude out of Grigsby in 3 months than we've seen from Mitchell in 2 1/2 years. It may or may not translate to the field, but it's nice to have a few guys with some confidence and a chip on their shoulder.

Shit it will translate into more than what KaWEAKa has been able to do.

CoMoChief
07-13-2005, 01:20 PM
As much as I would love to have Boomer out there, I think that we would be digging our own grave if we decide to have 2 out of our 3 starting LB's be rookies

RedThat
07-13-2005, 01:29 PM

Well, I think we have several options if our MLB situation doesnt pan out. We can always try Bell there. Or, Grigsby could possibly be the talk of TC and challenge Mitchell for the starting spot. He seems determined to do so.

You never know, maybe Scanlon? Maybe Maz might make a comeback?
Maybe Mitchell will feed off his play from the last part of the season, and will improve, perform at a higher level? But, the bottomline is, who knows?

It's gonna be interesting. I'm real happy though. The Chiefs have several options, and a lot flexiblity from their linebackers. Sure enough they can plug the hole to see which one is best suited to play there. I'm confident that the coaching staff will get this issue resolved.
:)

Dave Lane
07-13-2005, 01:37 PM
if grigsby is going be starting linebacker they need to pull him OFF of special teams.

save the damage on his body

they just wore Maz out doing both

With Scanlon on ST what do we need anyones else out there for?

Well maybe someone to tell Gopher which side of the uni is the front side...

Dave

RedThat
07-13-2005, 01:38 PM
As much as I would love to have Boomer out there, I think that we would be digging our own grave if we decide to have 2 out of our 3 starting LB's be rookies

I don't buy that. Teams draft to be better. Rookies can and do make significant contributions right away. Several teams have been dependant on their rookies to contribute right away, and that is a fact.

I can even set examples for you if you want me to.

Fat Elvis
07-13-2005, 02:16 PM

I dunno, they haven't been tainted by the Knob.....

penchief
07-13-2005, 03:31 PM
Grigsby, who expects to play on most if not all of the Chiefs' special teams units, knows he needs to continue to impress his coaches in training camp beginning July 27 in River Falls, Wis.

Damn! Only two more weeks!

shaneo69
07-13-2005, 07:47 PM
I don't buy that. Teams draft to be better. Rookies can and do make significant contributions right away. Several teams have been dependant on their rookies to contribute right away, and that is a fact.

I can even set examples for you if you want me to.

I love DJ and Boomer, but BSPimpDude might have a point. I don't remember the last time a playoff team started 2 rookies at LB. Fire away with those examples.

milkman
07-13-2005, 07:52 PM
I love DJ and Boomer, but BSPimpDude might have a point. I don't remember the last time a playoff team started 2 rookies at LB. Fire away with those examples.

I can't think of a playoff team that started 2 rookies at LB, but the year that the 49ers won their 1st SB, I've read they started 3 rookies in the secondary, including Ronnie Lott and Eric Davis.

I can never remember who that 3rd player was.

shaneo69
07-13-2005, 07:59 PM
I can't think of a playoff team that started 2 rookies at LB, but the year that the 49ers won their 1st SB, I've read they started 3 rookies in the secondary, including Ronnie Lott and Eric Davis.

I can never remember who that 3rd player was.

It was Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright, and Carlton Williamson.

milkman
07-13-2005, 08:00 PM
It was Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright, and Carlton Williamson.

Hell, I can't even remember who that seond one was! :banghead: ROFL

unlurking
07-13-2005, 08:15 PM
Hmmm, guess I'm the only one on the Mitchell bandwagon?

Call me a "Roy", but I honestly think he is going to turn a lot of heads this season.

milkman
07-13-2005, 08:17 PM

Call me a "Roy", but I honestly think he is going to turn a lot of heads this season.

I think a number of people believe this.
I'm in the wait and see mode.

Now, if you'da said this about Bartee....... :)

Mr. Laz
07-13-2005, 08:20 PM

Call me a "Roy", but I honestly think he is going to turn a lot of heads this season.Roy

unlurking
07-13-2005, 08:24 PM
I think a number of people believe this.
I'm in the wait and see mode.

Now, if you'da said this about Bartee....... :)
Well, I think Bartee could probably have turned a lot of heads if he had played SAFETY!!!!

:cuss:

unlurking
07-13-2005, 08:25 PM
Roy
Guess it's kinda tough to hand out neg rep if I asked for it, huh?

:D

shaneo69
07-13-2005, 08:26 PM
I kinda get the feeling that if Kawika doesn't win the starter's job at MLB, he may get cut rather than kept as a backup.

OLB---Bell, Fujita
MLB---Grigsby, Scanlon
OLB---DJ, Fox, Caver

From what I've read though (other than from the Normal, IL newspaper), Kawika has pretty much solidified his hold on the starting job.

milkman
07-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Well, I think Bartee could probably have turned a lot of heads if he had played SAFETY!!!!

:cuss:

Just not his own. :banghead:

Actually I agree with you.

unlurking
07-13-2005, 08:29 PM
Just not his own. :banghead:

Actually I agree with you.
heh, maybe not, but at strong safety he would normally be asked to spy on the QB and RB, which is something he never seemed to be able to stop when moved to CB.

Mr. Laz
07-13-2005, 08:30 PM
Guess it's kinda tough to hand out neg rep if I asked for it, huh?

:D

:p

unlurking
07-13-2005, 08:30 PM
I kinda get the feeling that if Kawika doesn't win the starter's job at MLB, he may get cut rather than kept as a backup.

OLB---Bell, Fujita
MLB---Grigsby, Scanlon
OLB---DJ, Fox, Caver

From what I've read though (other than from the Normal, IL newspaper), Kawika has pretty much solidified his hold on the starting job.
If he doesn't make starter, I agree, cut his ass. But I must admit, I am really looking forward to seeing Grigsby on ST. It's like keeping a pit bull chained up then letting him loose.

RedThat
07-13-2005, 08:33 PM

First off, we are not a playoff team. We may have stacked up this year, but, we are not a playoff team because we haven't won a playoff game in 12 years.
Not only that, we've missed the playoffs 7 of the last 8 years.

Secondly, the Baltimore Ravens did it in '97. They started both Peter Boulware and Jamie Sharper in their rookie seasons. Both were in their rookie seasons and made significant contributions to that linebacking corps.

The Cincinatti Bengals are going to start 2 rookie linebackers this year David Pollack and Odell Thurman. Marvin Lewis went out and publicly said that.

HemiEd
07-13-2005, 08:39 PM
Well, I think we have several options if our MLB situation doesnt pan out. We can always try Bell there. Or, Grigsby could possibly be the talk of TC and challenge Mitchell for the starting spot. He seems determined to do so.

You never know, maybe Scanlon? Maybe Maz might make a comeback?
Maybe Mitchell will feed off his play from the last part of the season, and will improve, perform at a higher level? But, the bottomline is, who knows?

It's gonna be interesting. I'm real happy though. The Chiefs have several options, and a lot flexiblity from their linebackers. Sure enough they can plug the hole to see which one is best suited to play there. I'm confident that the coaching staff will get this issue resolved.
:)

Yep, I feel very stronly that Maz will be our starter, he may not hold the job but I bet he starts the first game. We did start losing when he went down, coincedence?

milkman
07-13-2005, 08:44 PM
Yep, I feel very stronly that Maz will be our starter, he may not hold the job but I bet he starts the first game. We did start losing when he went down, coincedence?

I love Maz' heart and desire, but I just can't see him coming back and starting.

Boomer has that same type of desire, but I don't see him starting either.

Kawika will be the starter, and will lose the job only after about 4-5 crappy games.

I'm not saying he will have crappy games.
I'm just stating my opinion on what it will take for him to lose the job.

HemiEd
07-13-2005, 08:48 PM
I love Maz' heart and desire, but I just can't see him coming back and starting.

Boomer has that same type of desire, but I don't see him starting either.

Kawika will be the starter, and will lose the job only after about 4-5 crappy games.

I'm not saying he will have crappy games.
I'm just stating my opinion on what it will take for him to lose the job.

You may be exactly right, but I still think Maz has the inside track with Dick, JMO.

RedThat
07-13-2005, 08:50 PM

I don't know if it all had to do with Maz going down. Our defensive problems started when Maz went down due to his knee injury. I think the Chiefs defense lost total confedence as a unit. The Denver game did it, imo when Portis rushed for 5 TD's and 200 some odd yards. I can imagine, who wouldn't lose confedence after a game like that? Even if it was a good defensive team that gave up those kinda yards and production, I'm sure the leaders on the defense would speak out, and regroup, resolve those issues immediately.

That was the problem with the Chiefs defense that year. Zero leaders. A lot of ppl say Maz is known for his leadership. On the other hand, you may be right, maybe losing Maz was a big factor for us that year.