PDA

View Full Version : Pick the five greatest all-time Chiefs from this list. Part 8

Rain Man
07-13-2005, 02:37 PM
We're up to the P's now. Did you know that no person with a last name starting with Q has ever played five seasons or started two seasons with the Chiefs? Amazing.

Here's the link to the Chiefs Hall of Fame if you would like to read up on any notables.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/hall_of_fame/

keg in kc
07-13-2005, 02:37 PM
This is another thread about chiefs4me, right?

Goapics1
07-13-2005, 02:38 PM
This thread is teh ghey

Rain Man
07-13-2005, 02:42 PM
I'm...I'm hurt.

keg in kc
07-13-2005, 02:44 PM
Todd Peterson, Derrick Rancid (err, ransom), Victor Riley and Spider-Man, Spider-Man, drops a pass like nobody else can, all make my short list.

Rain Man
07-13-2005, 02:45 PM
This poll was an easy one for me.

Jack Rudnay, Johnny Robinson, and Kevin Ross are all no-brainers in descending order, and Tony Richardson is not far behind. Podolak was a distant but clear fifth.

I'm a huge fan of Willie Roaf, but he lost out to Podolak due to his shorter tenure. Joe Phillips is the only other remote contender, but was clearly below the top five.

Phobia
07-13-2005, 02:47 PM
Podolak
Roaf
Robinson
Ross
Rudnay

I didn't want to choose Roaf. I almost chose Philips who wasn't amazing, but he was the anchor of some pretty good defenses in the 90's. But Roaf has been a staple in the most prolific rushing attack in the history of the NFL for the past 2 years. That's pretty incredible despite the fact he spent most of his career in NO.

Ghostof
07-13-2005, 02:49 PM
This poll is flawed

I was able to pick them all, instead of just 5

Phobia
07-13-2005, 02:53 PM
This poll is flawed

I was able to pick them all, instead of just 5

My rules are sometimes flawed, like how I sometimes get really ****ing irritated and ban somebody who might not necessarily have committed a bannable offense. Call it the last straw factor.

Rain Man
A little Rain Man stumping for some candidates.

Robinson's bio from the Chiefs' Hall of Fame.

Excelled as both a halfback (1960-61) and safety (1962-71) . . . Named to the AFLís all-time team by the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a safety . . . Was the third-leading interceptor in AFL history with 43 . . . His 57 career interceptions rank second in team history . . . Led the AFL in picks with 10 in 1966 and topped the NFL in 1970 with 10 . . . Was a six-time All-AFL selection (1963-68) . . . Played in 164 career games . . . As a halfback during the franchiseís first two seasons, he rushed for 658 yards and six TDs on 150 carries and caught 77 passes for 1,228 yards and nine scores . . . Was a first-round pick of the Texans in 1960 . . . Was also a first-round pick of the NFLís Detroit Lions . . . Wore number 42 . . . Was a member of the Chiefs Super Bowl IV championship team and LSUís 1959 national championship squad . . . Born September 9, 1938 in Delhi, Louisiana.

Rudnay's bio from the Chiefs Hall of Fame.

Was regarded as one of the NFLís finest centers during the 1970s . . . Determination, guts, toughness and humorous are probably the four best words that describe him . . . Was the AFCís starting center in the Pro Bowl four straight times, following the 1973-76 seasons . . . Played in 178 games with the Chiefs, the third-most ever by a Kansas City offensive lineman . . . Put together an incredible string of 144 straight games played, beginning with the 1970 season and lasting through the entire decade . . . A fourth-round draft choice in 1969, he missed the Chiefs Super Bowl season as a result of a back injury suffered in the College All-Star game following his senior year at Northwestern University . . . Played both center and defensive tackle at Northwestern . . . Wore jersey number 58 . . . Born November 20, 1947, in Cleveland, Ohio.

Rain Man
My rules are sometimes flawed, like how I sometimes get really ****ing irritated and ban somebody who might not necessarily have committed a bannable offense. Call it the last straw factor.

Rep.

KCFalcon59
07-13-2005, 02:58 PM
Podolak
Roaf
Robinson
Ross
Rudnay

I didn't want to choose Roaf. I almost chose Philips who wasn't amazing, but he was the anchor of some pretty good defenses in the 90's. But Roaf has been a staple in the most prolific rushing attack in the history of the NFL for the past 2 years. That's pretty incredible despite the fact he spent most of his career in NO.

Podolak
Richardson
Robinson
Ross
Rudnay

I chose Richardson over Roaf just because of length of time with the Chiefs. Oh and rep for the banning.

Rain Man
07-13-2005, 02:59 PM
On a side note, I had no idea that Jayice Pearson was with the team for seven seasons.

milkman
07-13-2005, 03:00 PM

Jack Rudnay, Johnny Robinson, and Kevin Ross are all no-brainers in descending order, and Tony Richardson is not far behind. Podolak was a distant but clear fifth.

I'm a huge fan of Willie Roaf, but he lost out to Podolak due to his shorter tenure. Joe Phillips is the only other remote contender, but was clearly below the top five.

I agree with you 100%.

Phobia
07-13-2005, 03:01 PM
I think Richardson over Roaf is a fine choice. I'm probably not being fair to TRich by not strongly considering him. Perhaps in future polls.

KChiefs1
07-13-2005, 03:02 PM
Five clearcut on this list:

Ed Podolak
Tony Richardson
Johnny Robinson
Kevin Ross
Jack Rudnay

Phobia
07-13-2005, 03:03 PM
On a side note, I had no idea that Jayice Pearson was with the team for seven seasons.

I think he's getting votes because he's on TV.

FWIW, I subtracted one from each player due to the ghostassery.

HemiEd
07-13-2005, 03:04 PM
toughest one yet for me, I can not get it below seven, I know the rules say five but I could not leave anyone out. Nice list of great players.
Joe Phillips, I really liked him

TRich
Willie Roaf
Johnny Robinson
Kevin Ross
Jack Rudnay

Rain Man
07-13-2005, 03:05 PM
FWIW, I subtracted one from each player due to the ghostassery.

I noticed that. Thanks.

As an aside, Jim Rourke was one of those guys I really liked as a backup. No chance of making the list, but he was like Baldinger - always there when he was needed.

KChiefs1
07-13-2005, 03:08 PM
Let me add this about Johnny Robinson:

Johnny Robinson was a master thief for the Kansas City Chiefs, leading the team in interceptions with 10 in 1966, and 58 for his career, a team record.

In Super Bowl IV, the underdog Chiefs defeated the so-called "one of the greatest teams in the history of the NFL", the Vikings, 23-7. Late in the game, Robinson picked off a Joe Kapp pass and sealed the Viking's fate. With Chiefs rushing to congratulate him, lying on the turf, Robinson held one finger high to signify that the Chiefs were the best team in professional football.

Robinson was a six-time All-AFL selection who played that Super Bowl game with three broken ribs. Five times the interception leader on the Chiefs, Robinson redefined the role of the safety in professional football. Opposing quarterbacks soon learned to keep the ball away from him.

A member of the All-time All-AFL Team and one of only twenty players who were in the American Football League for its entire ten-year existence.

He founded and operates Johnny Robinson's Boys Home in Monroe, Louisiana.

milkman
07-13-2005, 03:16 PM
Let me add this about Johnny Robinson:

Johnny Robinson was a master thief for the Kansas City Chiefs, leading the team in interceptions with 10 in 1966, and 58 for his career, a team record.

In Super Bowl IV, the underdog Chiefs defeated the so-called "one of the greatest teams in the history of the NFL", the Vikings, 23-7. Late in the game, Robinson picked off a Joe Kapp pass and sealed the Viking's fate. With Chiefs rushing to congratulate him, lying on the turf, Robinson held one finger high to signify that the Chiefs were the best team in professional football.

Robinson was a six-time All-AFL selection who played that Super Bowl game with three broken ribs. Five times the interception leader on the Chiefs, Robinson redefined the role of the safety in professional football. Opposing quarterbacks soon learned to keep the ball away from him.

A member of the All-time All-AFL Team and one of only twenty players who were in the American Football League for its entire ten-year existence.

He founded and operates Johnny Robinson's Boys Home in Monroe, Louisiana.

Johnny had 57 career ints, 2nd in team history.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/hall_of_fame/johnny_robinson/

Emmitt Thomas is the team's career leader, with 58.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/hall_of_fame/emmitt_thomas/

Rain Man
07-13-2005, 03:17 PM
I know that picture from the Super Bowl, but I can't find it anywhere to post it. Darn.

KChiefs1
07-13-2005, 03:22 PM
Johnny had 57 career ints, 2nd in team history.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/hall_of_fame/johnny_robinson/

Emmitt Thomas is the team's career leader, with 58.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/hall_of_fame/emmitt_thomas/

You are correct! I copied & pasted that from the AFL site...I've let them know they have incorrect information on their site. :)

KChiefs1
07-13-2005, 03:28 PM
Late in the game, Robinson picked off a Joe Kapp pass and sealed the Viking's fate. With Chiefs rushing to congratulate him, lying on the turf, Robinson held one finger high to signify that the Chiefs were the best team in professional football.

Let me also correct this...this actually happened in the first quarter I believe. :hmmm:

whoman69
07-13-2005, 04:02 PM

I would add to your list as a contender Bobby Ply, who was an interception machine for the Chiefs/Texans.

ct
07-13-2005, 04:10 PM
This was a bit tough. T-Rich over Kevin Ross wasn't easy...

Podolak
Roaf
Robinson
Rudney
T-Rich

Phobia
07-13-2005, 04:13 PM
I would add to your list as a contender Bobby Ply, who was an interception machine for the Chiefs/Texans.

An interception machine who never started? I'm not mocking you, I just don't know. His time predates me.

Rain Man
07-13-2005, 04:15 PM

You may be thinking of Bobby Hunt. Bobby Hunt had 42 career interceptions, most with KC, while Bobby Ply had only 9. (Seven of them came in one season, however.)

I wasn't familiar with either of these guys, to be honest. I was surprised that Bobby Hunt had such good stats.

DJay23
07-13-2005, 04:17 PM
Easy one:

Rudnay
Podolak
Ross
Robinson
Richardson

DJay23
07-13-2005, 04:23 PM
Podolak
Roaf
Robinson
Ross
Rudnay

Yes, but Richardson has been just as an important part of that rushing attack and he has spent his ENTIRE career with the Chiefs.

Phobia
07-13-2005, 06:59 PM
Yes, but Richardson has been just as an important part of that rushing attack and he has spent his ENTIRE career with the Chiefs.

That's fair. Not entirely accurate, but it's fair. I kinda wish I had voted for TRich now. In these types of polls, I don't often like to vote for active players (unless it's a HOF player like Shields/Gonzo) which worked against TRich in this case.

chiefs4me
07-13-2005, 07:02 PM
Pearson
Podolak
Richardson,T
Roaf
Ross

Rain Man
07-13-2005, 07:07 PM
I'm not surprised to see Podolak doing well, but I must admit that I'm surprised to see him in first place. I think Rudnay and Robinson have much stronger resumes.

Phobia
07-13-2005, 07:07 PM
Pearson
Podolak
Richardson,T
Roaf
Ross

Not bad, except for the Pearson part.

Phobia
07-13-2005, 07:08 PM
I'm not surprised to see Podolak doing well, but I must admit that I'm surprised to see him in first place. I think Rudnay and Robinson have much stronger resumes.

Podolak is better known due to the longest game performance and his involvement in the Hawkeye football coverage, I suspect. He won't make it past Round One.

old_geezer
07-13-2005, 07:16 PM
If you didn't vote for John Robinson, you don't know squat about Chief's history.

JMHO :shrug:

milkman
07-13-2005, 07:22 PM
If you didn't vote for John Robinson, you don't know squat about Chief's history.

The fact that Johnny Robinson only has 20 votes, and Jack Rudnay only has 25 is testament to the fact that voters in this poll don't know squat about Chiefs history.

ChiTown
07-13-2005, 07:38 PM
The fact that Johnny Robinson only has 20 votes, and Jack Rudnay only has 25 is testament to the fact that voters in this poll don't know squat about Chiefs history.

A-****ing-Men

JR was a badass mofo in his day. He's on the All-Time AFL team, and is arguably the best D-back in Chiefs history. That said, many fans don't pay attention to history. They know only what they've seen. To that I say, pick up a Chiefs history book, watch some of the old AFL and NFL films - EDUCATE YOURSELF! Any All-Time greatest poll final without JR in it would be a sham. :shake:

Rain Man
07-13-2005, 07:53 PM
In fairness to the younger voters, though, we don't get to see many film clips of past games, and that's even more true of games back in the 60s. Sadly, some of the guys like Robinson don't get any exposure via TV or film clips.

I barely got to see Robinson play myself. I was thrilled when ESPN or somebody showed clips of SB I a while back. It was literally the first time I'd seen many of the Glory Year Chiefs in action since they retired.

I'd pay a ton of money to get a full library of every Chiefs game on DVD.

milkman
07-13-2005, 07:59 PM
In fairness to the younger voters, though, we don't get to see many film clips of past games, and that's even more true of games back in the 60s. Sadly, some of the guys like Robinson don't get any exposure via TV or film clips.

I barely got to see Robinson play myself. I was thrilled when ESPN or somebody showed clips of SB I a while back. It was literally the first time I'd seen many of the Glory Year Chiefs in action since they retired.

Hell I'd pay a ton of money for an NFL films library of each season's synopsis.

In 2010, the Chiefs will be 50 years old (counting the Texans years).
It'd be cool if the Chiefs put together a collection of about 8 hours of film on DVDs and sold them even.

ChiTown
07-13-2005, 08:01 PM

Point well taken.

I think we are about the same age, so I'm in the same boat as you. That siad, I was completely enamoured with Chiefs history as a kid - borderline pyschotic. I knew every stat, for every player going back to the Dallas Texans. I knew the lineups, the records, the jersey numbers - everything. I have to remind myself at times that most fans don't indulge themselves with history anymore. My Dad once told me that if I wanted to be a fan of anything, that I had to know the history and the story behind it. I guess I've always taken that to heart.

ChiTown
07-13-2005, 08:05 PM
Since the T's are coming up in the next round, let's not forget Emmitt Thomas. For all you younger fans, he's #9 All-Time on the INT list with 58 picks.......

milkman
07-13-2005, 08:08 PM
Point well taken.

I think we are about the same age, so I'm in the same boat as you. That siad, I was completely enamoured with Chiefs history as a kid - borderline pyschotic. I knew every stat, for every player going back to the Dallas Texans. I knew the lineups, the records, the jersey numbers - everything. I have to remind myself at times that most fans don't indulge themselves with history anymore. My Dad once told me that if I wanted to be a fan of anything, that I had to know the history and the story behind it. I guess I've always taken that to heart.

I don't think I am much older than the 2 of you, but I became a fan at a really young age, and have watched and read everything I can about the Chiefs over the years.

I can only vaguely remember the early years of the Chiefs, being only 5 years old when they moved from Dallas, but I can remember idolizing the players from the very first game.

Zebedee DuBois
07-13-2005, 08:16 PM
Does the fact that I did vote for Robinson mean that I am a certified shit knower?

Rain Man
07-13-2005, 08:21 PM
Hell I'd pay a ton of money for an NFL films library of each season's synopsis.

In 2010, the Chiefs will be 50 years old (counting the Texans years).
It'd be cool if the Chiefs put together a collection of about 8 hours of film on DVDs and sold them even.

I wonder why they don't do this. This kind of thing would be so high on my Christmas list that there wouldn't be anything else on it.

cdcox
07-13-2005, 10:46 PM
I went with Robinson, Ross, and Rudnay as clear qualifiers. Roaf is a little short on longevity but has played at such a high level that he definitely gets the nod. And then Richardson because...

Ed Podolak is the most over-rated player in the history of the Chiefs

I watched him play. He had two memorable games: a Thanksgiving Day game against the Lions and the of course the playoff loss on Christmas day against the Dolphins. Much more familiar to me was his plough horse style of gaining 3 yrds, play after play after play. Sure he was tough and had a great attitude, but he a plodder. Sure he was consistent, a consistent mule. Out of the 5 years that Podalak was the team's leading rusher, we were in the bottom half of the league in offensive production in four of them. For many of those years, Dawson and Taylor were the leading passer and receiver, so you can't say he didn't have a supporting cast. He was a below average player filling a critical position. It was agony watching him play. I have no idea what others who saw him play and think highly of him saw.

Here are a list of the Cheifs who had at least one season better than Podolak's best season. It is a long list, and not all of these guys were stars, but that is exactly the point.

Mike Garrett
Ted McKnight
Christian Okoye
Tony Reed
Marcus Allen
Joe Delaney
Barry Word
Priest Holmes
Robert Holmes
Abner Haynes

Phobia
07-13-2005, 10:57 PM
A-****ing-Men

JR was a badass mofo in his day. He's on the All-Time AFL team, and is arguably the best D-back in Chiefs history. That said, many fans don't pay attention to history. They know only what they've seen. To that I say, pick up a Chiefs history book, watch some of the old AFL and NFL films - EDUCATE YOURSELF! Any All-Time greatest poll final without JR in it would be a sham. :shake:

Yup. It's kinda sad. I haven't seen these guys play outside of the SuperBowls, but I still know enough to know. I guess some of it is listening to the old timers online for the past 10 years and some is my own research. But a lot of it can be achieved by looking around at the names at Arrowhead.

Phobia
07-13-2005, 10:58 PM

I can't argue with that. Hence my earlier post on the thread about him. Throw out that Christmas Miami game and nobody remembers his name.

HemiEd
07-14-2005, 03:59 AM

Yep, must be ancient history to some.

patteeu
07-14-2005, 08:41 AM
Podolak
Roaf
Robinson
Ross
Rudnay

Ditto.

Honerable mention for Richardson.

PHOG
07-14-2005, 10:32 AM
Robinson not making it past the 1st round is just..just..wrong. :deevee:

shakesthecat
07-14-2005, 10:37 AM
Podolak
Richardson
Robinson
Ross
Rudnay

Rain Man
07-14-2005, 11:09 AM

I like the guy and he was a good Chief, but I must admit feeling the same way. He wasn't a dominant player like some other Chiefs were.

I honestly think that part of it might be his name. Podolak is a way cool name, and it's hard to forget.

HemiEd
07-14-2005, 02:09 PM
I went with Robinson, Ross, and Rudnay as clear qualifiers. Roaf is a little short on longevity but has played at such a high level that he definitely gets the nod. And then Richardson because...

I watched him play. He had two memorable games: a Thanksgiving Day game against the Lions and the of course the playoff loss on Christmas day against the Dolphins. Much more familiar to me was his plough horse style of gaining 3 yrds, play after play after play. Sure he was tough and had a great attitude, but he a plodder. Sure he was consistent, a consistent mule. Out of the 5 years that Podalak was the team's leading rusher, we were in the bottom half of the league in offensive production in four of them. For many of those years, Dawson and Taylor were the leading passer and receiver, so you can't say he didn't have a supporting cast. He was a below average player filling a critical position. It was agony watching him play. I have no idea what others who saw him play and think highly of him saw.

Here are a list of the Chiefs who had at least one season better than Podolak's best season. It is a long list, and not all of these guys were stars, but that is exactly the point.

Mike Garrett
Ted McKnight
Christian Okoye
Tony Reed
Marcus Allen
Joe Delaney
Barry Word
Priest Holmes
Robert Holmes
Abner Haynes

You cleared a lot of cob webbs out of my old noggin with this post. You are right, I remember cussing the old tube a lot of those games. Can someone remove my Podolak vote?

go bowe
07-14-2005, 06:46 PM
yeah, i got podolak confused with johnny robinson...

(is anybody buying this?)

old_geezer
07-14-2005, 07:38 PM
Robinson not making it past the 1st round is just..just..wrong. :deevee:

It just shows that the majority of the people on this BB who call themselves Chief's fans don't know jack sh-t about the history of the team they supposedly root for. Robinson was on the ALL-TIME AFL team, for God's sake. And he can"t even get more votes than Kevin Ross on a Chief's BB. That's just pathetic. :banghead:

go bowe
07-14-2005, 07:48 PM
oh, shit...

are we supposed to actually know something about the team? :eek: :eek: :eek:

cdcox
07-14-2005, 07:54 PM
Can we get a mod to post the names of the people who voted in the pole but didn't pick Robinsion? I'm thinking we need to have a cleansing so only true fans remain.

milkman
07-14-2005, 07:55 PM

I agree with you.

But the thing about Podalak is that he did so many things on the field.

He wasn't the greastest RB.
He wasn't the greatest receiver out of the backfield.
He wasn't the greatest blocker.
He wasn't the geatest kick returner.
And he wasn't the greatest punt returner.

But he did do all of those things, and he left it all out on the field every game.
That is the reason I voted for him.

He wasn't the greatest at any one thing.
He wasn't even top 5 at any of them.

But there isn't any single Chief who did more than he did.

HemiEd
07-14-2005, 07:59 PM
Can we get a mod to post the names of the people who voted in the pole but didn't pick Robinsion? I'm thinking we need to have a cleansing so only true fans remain.

delimma, I voted for Johnny Robinson but do not have season tickets. :shrug:

cdcox
07-14-2005, 08:04 PM
delimma, I voted for Johnny Robinson but do not have season tickets. :shrug:

Any schmuck with money can buy season tickets. Not know who Johnny Robinsoon was is akin to not knowing who your grandfather is.

HemiEd
07-14-2005, 08:12 PM
Any schmuck with money can buy season tickets. Not know who Johnny Robinsoon was is akin to not knowing who your grandfather is.

Yep, even my old Packer and Bear buddies constantly bring up Johnny Robinson when we talk about the Chiefs.

Rain Man
07-14-2005, 08:16 PM
oh, shit...

are we supposed to actually know something about the team? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Not you. You get a free pass since I think that you're an incognito supermodel.

chefsos
07-14-2005, 08:39 PM
I wore out my pen scratching names on and off my list. It looks like ( I think):
T Rich
Robinson
K Ross
Rudnay
And...Podolak, stats be damned, just 'cause he's Podolak.

Sorry Willie.

go bowe
07-15-2005, 12:04 PM
Any schmuck with money can buy season tickets. Not know who Johnny Robinsoon was is akin to not knowing who your grandfather is.i have a grandfather?

KChiefs1
07-15-2005, 12:17 PM
I still can't believe Johnny Robinson isn't in the top five.

Sam
07-15-2005, 04:03 PM
Does the fact that I did vote for Robinson mean that I am a certified shit knower?

He's bonafied.

papasmurf
07-15-2005, 09:19 PM
No love for the Hammer.

patteeu
07-15-2005, 09:31 PM
No love for the Hammer.

Not until we get to the W's.

munkey
07-19-2005, 02:29 PM
I can only vaguely remember the early years of the Chiefs, being only 5 years old when they moved from Dallas, but I can remember idolizing the players from the very first game.

I'd have to pull it but I have the first Chief program (home opener) - KC vs. Chicago...If you like and could get you names of that years roster...What was it 66' - 67'? Can't remember off hand.

whoman69
07-22-2005, 06:15 PM
Johnny Robinson not making the final cut is absurd. I grew up idolizing Ed Podolak, and there is no way I would ever believe that he meant more to the team than Robinson. If Johnny Robinson is not the greatest safety in the history of the franchise, who is?

Count Alex's Losses
07-22-2005, 06:18 PM
Johnny Robinson not making the final cut is absurd. I grew up idolizing Ed Podolak, and there is no way I would ever believe that he meant more to the team than Robinson. If Johnny Robinson is not the greatest safety in the history of the franchise, who is?

Deron Cherry?