PDA

View Full Version : Woman gets $74,000 water bill!!!!!!!!!!!

Goapics1
07-14-2005, 07:57 AM
Shit!

Woman gets $74,000 water bill

Thursday, July 14, 2005; Posted: 8:26 a.m. EDT (12:26 GMT)

MASCOUTAH, Illinois (AP) -- It has been a hot, dry summer in this St. Louis suburb, but Rose Mary Cook knew there was no way she could have used $74,000 worth of water.

The city's utility department claimed Cook used 10 million gallons of water last month, charging her $29,787 for water, $43,581 for sewer, plus $893 for municipal tax.

"Luckily, when I opened the bill, I was sitting down," Cook said. "I could have filled every pool in southern Illinois and still not used that much water."

Cook presented the bill to a public works employee at City Hall. Officials quickly determined the whopping fee was the result of a broken meter and issued a corrected bill for $32.66 -- waiving Cook's monthly water and sewer charges for her troubles.

"My daughter asked me if I was hoarding water during the drought," Cook said. "I told her I would, but I don't know where I would find 10 million gallon jugs."

gblowfish
07-14-2005, 08:00 AM
Thats about what my electric bill was this month. Yikes!

Phobia
07-14-2005, 08:00 AM
They should make her pay it, IMO.

HemiEd
07-14-2005, 09:00 AM
too funny, I forgot and left my sprinklers running all night last night. It will be expensive because our village charges you sewer tax as well. They assume all of the water you consume is going to end up in the sewer. :mad:

ChiTown
07-14-2005, 09:12 AM
too funny, I forgot and left my sprinklers running all night last night. It will be expensive because our village charges you sewer tax as well. They assume all of the water you consume is going to end up in the sewer. :mad:

That's assinine.

I'm so lucky that I have a well system. I can water my lawn all day long and flip my middle finger to the City of Wichita.

HemiEd
07-14-2005, 09:15 AM
That's assinine.

I'm so lucky that I have a well system. I can water my lawn all day long and flip my middle finger to the City of Wichita.

I had a well at every place I lived in Wichita for that very purpose. It is illegal here, bastiches! :mad:

I am envious of the freedoms you have there, way too many laws here.

ChiTown
07-14-2005, 09:20 AM
I had a well at every place I lived in Wichita for that very purpose. It is illegal here, bastiches! :mad:

I am envious of the freedoms you have there, way too many laws here.

Whereabouts in Illinois do you reside?

I lived there for a long time. City of Chicago and LaGrange were my 2 places of residence.

HemiEd
07-14-2005, 10:04 AM
Whereabouts in Illinois do you reside?

I lived there for a long time. City of Chicago and LaGrange were my 2 places of residence.

Glendale Heights, it is between Bloomingdale and Carol Stream. The only thing they do really well is shoot fireworks all of the time, at great expense to us residents.
We do not even have a dog catcher or any kind of animal control but we have a veterans memorial park, a beautiful Fire house, Community center with Swimming pool.
If you get a varmit in your yard like a skunk, you have to call a private trapper and pay him. It is illegal to park my boat in the driveway, park on my side of the street, etc. etc. I hate this place!

You went the right direction, all though I have heard that LaGrange is not too bad.

KCChiefsMan
07-14-2005, 10:53 AM
I thought they wouldn't correct those kinds of mistakes

RedThat
07-14-2005, 10:57 AM
Shit!

Woman gets $74,000 water bill

Thursday, July 14, 2005; Posted: 8:26 a.m. EDT (12:26 GMT)

MASCOUTAH, Illinois (AP) -- It has been a hot, dry summer in this St. Louis suburb, but Rose Mary Cook knew there was no way she could have used $74,000 worth of water.

The city's utility department claimed Cook used 10 million gallons of water last month, charging her $29,787 for water, $43,581 for sewer, plus $893 for municipal tax.

"Luckily, when I opened the bill, I was sitting down," Cook said. "I could have filled every pool in southern Illinois and still not used that much water."

Cook presented the bill to a public works employee at City Hall. Officials quickly determined the whopping fee was the result of a broken meter and issued a corrected bill for $32.66 -- waiving Cook's monthly water and sewer charges for her troubles.

"My daughter asked me if I was hoarding water during the drought," Cook said. "I told her I would, but I don't know where I would find 10 million gallon jugs."

My first reaction after opening that bill would be heart attack.

cadmonkey
07-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Maybe she should stop taking such long showers with the massage setting on the shower head.

Simplex3
07-14-2005, 11:06 AM
I thought they wouldn't correct those kinds of mistakes
That was my first thing. I couldn't believe the city was so damn reasonable. Hell, even cutting part of the bill for the screw up.

That guy must have been new.

ChiTown
07-14-2005, 12:34 PM
Glendale Heights, it is between Bloomingdale and Carol Stream. The only thing they do really well is shoot fireworks all of the time, at great expense to us residents.
We do not even have a dog catcher or any kind of animal control but we have a veterans memorial park, a beautiful Fire house, Community center with Swimming pool.
If you get a varmit in your yard like a skunk, you have to call a private trapper and pay him. It is illegal to park my boat in the driveway, park on my side of the street, etc. etc. I hate this place!

You went the right direction, all though I have heard that LaGrange is not too bad.

We loved living in LaGrange. Very nice mix of people. I didn't want to live in Naperville, which is where 90% of the people in my office lived. We wanted to be relatively close to the City. We had lots of friends that still lived in Lincoln Park and Downtown. I really miss living in the Chicagoland area. :(

HemiEd
07-14-2005, 12:47 PM
We loved living in LaGrange. Very nice mix of people. I didn't want to live in Naperville, which is where 90% of the people in my office lived. We wanted to be relatively close to the City. We had lots of friends that still lived in Lincoln Park and Downtown. I really miss living in the Chicagoland area. :(

Frazod lives in Naperville, pretty costly place to live. I only have .6 miles to work, pretty handy. Property taxes here are more than my Mortgage was in Wichita.
I would trade locations with you in a minute but my wife loves it here. Winters are brutal, summer is only about 20 minutes long.

whoman69
07-14-2005, 02:20 PM
When I moved into an apartment in TN they charged me $30 for the first three days of service. I told them there was no way I could use two and one half month's worth of water in that short a time. They would not adjust it.

Saul Good
07-14-2005, 02:25 PM
Slow news day? What's tomorrow's headline going to be? "Area man receives phone call for unknown person, insists caller has wrong number"