PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Wie is 3 wins away from playing in the Masters

alnorth
07-14-2005, 06:08 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2107737

This time there are no sponser's exemptions, and no favors, Michelle qualified fair and square, and is doing well. Earlier this year, Michelle, a 15 year old girl who will be a junior in freaking high school, qualified to play in the US Amateur Public Links, against the nation's top college men. According to tradition, the Masters always extends an invitation to the winner, which is the main reason she decided to go for it. (The US Amateur Public Links is not a typical Open, it is a 64-golfer tournament decided by match play. You must win 6 matches to win the whole thing)

Earlier in the week I figured it was a nice publicity stunt, she's talented, but she'd probably win 1 match and go home. Today she has won her third match and is in the quarterfinals tomorrow against a golfer from BYU.

I repeat, this is a 15-yr old high school girl. If she makes it to the Masters, I may have to watch golf for the first time in years.

Simplex3
07-14-2005, 06:12 PM
Part of me is rooting for her to show that golf is barely a sport and more of a passtime.

Part of me is rooting against her until the LPGA lets Tiger Woods into a tournament.

Stinger
07-14-2005, 06:21 PM
Part of me is rooting for her to show that golf is barely a sport and more of a passtime.

Part of me is rooting against her until the LPGA lets Tiger Woods into a tournament.

Exactly I am for equality and what she is doing is amazing, but until they let a male go on the LPGA well then. Since that will probably not be thought well of I purpose this. We have one professional golf association both men and women can qualify but you play from the same tees. If you are good enough you play the big tour, not good enough play the Nationwide or Hooters tour (yes I realize that tour would need a name change.) That would end alot of this well if she or why can't he situations.

Also even if she does win she is not guarrenteed to play in the Masters. It is an invation to which the Master offer to the winner of the Champion. They can withdraw that invitation at anytime they wish. But if she does win and they do not offer the invite boy howdey will that be fun to watch.

alnorth
07-14-2005, 06:37 PM
Exactly I am for equality and what she is doing is amazing, but until they let a male go on the LPGA well then.

I have never understood this complaint, and probably never will. The answer is pretty obvious.

Since that will probably not be thought well of I purpose this. We have one professional golf association both men and women can qualify but you play from the same tees.

In other words, the PGA. It's not the MPGA.

If you are good enough you play the big tour, not good enough play the Nationwide or Hooters tour (yes I realize that tour would need a name change.)

We have a lesser tour already. It is called the Nationwide Tour. (Woohoo Nationwide Insurance, my employer!) Formerly the Buy.com tour, formerly the Nike Tour.

Your suggestions to answer your complaints about the situation have been in effect for years.