PDA

View Full Version : Catching up: Derrick Johnson

Coach
07-14-2005, 09:14 PM
http://www.texassports.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=68&url_article_id=2047&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2

7/14/05
Catching Up: Derrick Johnson

After spending four illustrious years with the Texas Longhorns, linebacker Derrick Johnson is in the midst of starting his professional career with the Kansas City Chiefs. He has already been to the NFL's rookie symposium and attended a series of mini-camps with the Chiefs and is now preparing for the start of his first NFL training camp. Fresh off being named the Big 12 Male Athlete of the Year, the Waco, Texas native took a break to chat with TexasSports.com.

On the rookie symposium:
Every rookie has to go to the symposium. They gave us a lot of information on what it takes to succeed in the NFL. Veterans like Cris Carter came to talk to us about the different things you can do to prolong your NFL career. It's very important to learn from the guys who have been in your situation and hear what they have to say.

On the mini-camps:
I went to a mini-camp right after I got drafted. The mental part is much different than college. There are a lot more things you need to know and a lot more responsibilities on the field. It's tough too because there are guys on the field that are 10 to 15 years older than you and have that experience already.

On how he has been received by the veterans:
There's a lot of pressure, but it is positive, and the veterans help you. You are going to mess up sometimes, but that's the nature of the game, and hopefully you can learn from your mistakes. The veterans have really been helpful as I get used to everything.

On playing football as a professional:
There's a sense of urgency. If you can't do what they want now, they will get someone else to do it. You always have to be on your Ps and Qs. I'm lucky though because being at Texas for four years really helped me prepare for this. At UT, they always kept me on my game. There is a sense of urgency to get the job done when you play for Texas, which prepped me to do well in the league.

On being in Kansas City:
I love the Chiefs. Dick Vermeil is a great head football coach. He is a father figure, kind of like Coach Brown. He's very laid back, and you can talk to him about anything. My defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham is a good guy. He's very passionate about his work and keeps me on my toes.

As for living in Kansas City, I am having a three-story townhouse built. It will be a good time for me and I'll reward myself with some things that I wasn't able to buy before. At the same time, I know that football is a business and that's what I'm there for. I'm going to do everything in my power to be the best Kansas City Chief I can be.

Rain Man
07-14-2005, 09:17 PM
Can't complain about an interview like that. I'm liking this guy as a Chief, and hope to see him maiming Bron cos, Raid ers, and Chargers (in that order) for years to come.

chief husker
07-14-2005, 09:21 PM
He seems to be saying all the right things. Let's hope the Chiefs are selling his jerseys for years.

DTLB58
07-14-2005, 09:23 PM
At this point I'm very thankful we made the trade for Surtain allowing us to go for this guy instead of a corner and Pac Man Jones.

Coach
07-14-2005, 09:41 PM
*bump* In case some people didn't get the chance to read this.