PDA

View Full Version : Bad News for the PC version of Madden

royr17
07-15-2005, 04:38 AM
Found this on Madden Mania.

Originally posted by Struttdaddy over there.

PC Version Delayed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some people over at FF said they have got emails from EBgames telling them that the PC version will not come out the same time the console version comes out. It feels a lot like last year. It's probably being delayed because they can't figure out which features to leave out this year. Lets just hope the 8 days doens't turn into a month like it was last year.

htismaqe
07-15-2005, 06:31 AM
As someone who plays TONS of both PC and console games, I can't for the life of me fathom why anyone would want to play a sports game on the PC.

The PC has great capabilities for DEPTH, but gameplay is so much more fluid on a console.

royr17
07-15-2005, 06:44 AM
I couldnt agree more with you, I mean you gotta have skill to play on the computer, but you go through so much hassle with it.

I'll just stay with the console version, cause its what im used too, and even though graphics may be better lookin on the pc version we still have some features on ours that can be used.

Like create rookies during the season where you cant do that on the PC version.

Otter
07-15-2005, 07:21 AM
As someone who plays TONS of both PC and console games, I can't for the life of me fathom why anyone would want to play a sports game on the PC.

The PC has great capabilities for DEPTH, but gameplay is so much more fluid on a console.

What he said.

PC is to FPS and RPG what console is to sports.

royr17
07-15-2005, 07:37 AM
Need help, what to do, McCleon, Welbourn, and Woods are complaining about playing time, McCleon started 4 games, Welbourn came in to give Shields breathers and Woods is not starting and is still puttin up better numbers then Wesley and Knight both.

So what should I do.

KCTitus
07-15-2005, 07:41 AM
whew...when I read the thread title, I thought you were going to say that they left Scanlon out of the game. I was a little scared there for a moment.

Count Alex's Losses
07-15-2005, 09:34 AM
Like create rookies during the season where you cant do that on the PC version.

With the new Madden editor, you can. In fact, with the new Madden editor you can do stuff you can't do on the console.

Count Alex's Losses
07-15-2005, 09:34 AM
And EA can bite me for the second year in a row. I won't be buying their game, I'll be downloading it. 4321

htismaqe
07-15-2005, 11:14 AM
With the new Madden editor, you can. In fact, with the new Madden editor you can do stuff you can't do on the console.

Yeah, and you can do stuff on the console that you can't do on the PC, like run and pass. :D

Count Alex's Losses
07-15-2005, 11:32 AM
Yeah, and you can do stuff on the console that you can't do on the PC, like run and pass. :D

I don't know WTF you're talking about. On the field the games are almost identical, except that Madden PC has better blocking.

Simplex3
07-15-2005, 11:36 AM
Console companies can suck my c**k. It's not bad enough that these tools come out with a new version of the game for me to buy every f**king year, you ALSO want me to buy a new console every couple of years. Not happening.

J Diddy
07-15-2005, 11:40 AM
I don't know WTF you're talking about. On the field the games are almost identical, except that Madden PC has better blocking.

BS

I played madden on the PC every year until last. Night and freaking day. Everything they do on the pc is at least 1 year behind the console.

Count Alex's Losses
07-15-2005, 11:44 AM
BS

I played madden on the PC every year until last. Night and freaking day. Everything they do on the pc is at least 1 year behind the console.

That's garbage. What difference is there, besides better blocking on the PC?

Off the field and in franchise mode, yes, EA stiffs PC gamers every year.

J Diddy
07-15-2005, 11:47 AM
That's garbage. What difference is there, besides better blocking on the PC?

Off the field and in franchise mode, yes, EA stiffs PC gamers every year.

Last I checked that was part of the game.

Count Alex's Losses
07-15-2005, 11:48 AM
Last I checked that was part of the game.

Right, and I admitted as much. But on the field, there's almost no difference. Both versions had the hit stick last year, for instance.

EA said this year they will be identical.

Simplex3
07-15-2005, 11:50 AM
So which console mfg's are paying EA to leave parts out of the PC version?

J Diddy
07-15-2005, 11:51 AM
Right, and I admitted as much. But on the field, there's almost no difference. Both versions had the hit stick last year, for instance.

EA said this year they will be identical.

As I said last year was the first year I didn't buy the PC version because I finally convinced my wife that getting an Xbox was a positive move for our family. So I can not speak to last years game. However previous years they would come out with new features and such and leave us PC players with a cheaper this year's game with last years features.

Count Alex's Losses
07-15-2005, 11:52 AM
As I said last year was the first year I didn't buy the PC version because I finally convinced my wife that getting an Xbox was a positive move for our family. So I can not speak to last years game. However previous years they would come out with new features and such and leave us PC players with a cheaper this year's game with last years features.

That is true.

Pezman
07-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Graphically, the PC owns. However, EA is and always has been notorious at releasing the game rushed and in need of patching. A few years ago, those assholes didnt even send out a patch until late November. By that point, the game was already getting dust on my shelf.

I really do wish EA had some fooking competition on the PC, not to mention the fact that those assholes have still only released one college football game on PC way back in '99...

Count Alex's Losses
07-15-2005, 11:54 AM
So which console mfg's are paying EA to leave parts out of the PC version?

I think EA does it intentionally. If they let PC users freely edit players and create players mid-franchise, they'd lose alot of PC gamers.

Of course, with the editor now, everything is possible. In fact it lets you do things EA doesn't even include in the game.

I wonder if EA is delaying the PC ship date so they can make the editor non functional with 2006?

Pezman
07-15-2005, 11:57 AM
Its all about multiplayer mode for them. How else can they justify scrapping so many features?

htismaqe
07-15-2005, 12:13 PM

Defensive much? It's a JOKE.

In reality, there is a difference in gameplay and it has nothing to do with the game.

It has to do with controllers and the integration of them. Until the last couple of years, when USB controllers finally caught up, there was ZERO comparison between the responsiveness of a console controller and a 16-bit controller plugged into the port on the back of your soundcard.

Pezman
07-15-2005, 12:53 PM
Defensive much? It's a JOKE.

In reality, there is a difference in gameplay and it has nothing to do with the game.

It has to do with controllers and the integration of them. Until the last couple of years, when USB controllers finally caught up, there was ZERO comparison between the responsiveness of a console controller and a 16-bit controller plugged into the port on the back of your soundcard.

Actually, its been more than a couple of years. I first played Madden on PC in 2000 with my old Sidewinder gamepad (using usb 1.1) and upgraded to Logitech's Wingman gamepad not long after they intergrated usb 2.0 support. The only downside is having to map your own buttons but they have also had intergrated dual stick controls so its very similar to the console experience.

htismaqe
07-15-2005, 01:01 PM
Actually, its been more than a couple of years. I first played Madden on PC in 2000 with my old Sidewinder gamepad (using usb 1.1) and upgraded to Logitech's Wingman gamepad not long after they intergrated usb 2.0 support. The only downside is having to map your own buttons but they have also had intergrated dual stick controls so its very similar to the console experience.

Even with USB 1.1, the responsiveness was not as good as with the consoles.

Count Alex's Losses
07-15-2005, 01:08 PM
I use the keyboard. And I'll kick the ass of ANY gamepad-toting shlep who has the baows to step up.

htismaqe
07-15-2005, 01:14 PM
I use the keyboard. And I'll kick the ass of ANY gamepad-toting shlep who has the baows to step up.

Considering that there's no support for cross-platform matchups, I'm sure you would.

Of course, I'm sure you're pretty dextrous on the keyboard, especially when using just one hand.

Count Alex's Losses
07-15-2005, 01:26 PM
Considering that there's no support for cross-platform matchups, I'm sure you would.

Of course, I'm sure you're pretty dextrous on the keyboard, especially when using just one hand.

That's funny, but I've been using the keyboard since 99. I don't think I'll ever switch to gamepads.

htismaqe
07-15-2005, 01:58 PM
That's funny, but I've been using the keyboard since 99. I don't think I'll ever switch to gamepads.

I used the keyboard on the PC too. I never got into the idea of a controller for the PC.

That being said, player control on the console is 1000x better.

Count Alex's Losses
07-15-2005, 02:02 PM
I used the keyboard on the PC too. I never got into the idea of a controller for the PC.

That being said, player control on the console is 1000x better.

I don't see how.

htismaqe
07-15-2005, 02:03 PM
I don't see how.

Keyboard control is digital. A joystick is analog.

Count Alex's Losses
07-15-2005, 02:25 PM
Keyboard control is digital. A joystick is analog.

I know. I still don't see how my control could improve, or how it would make playing a console version better.

htismaqe
07-15-2005, 02:29 PM
I know. I still don't see how my control could improve, or how it would make playing a console version better.

The keyboard, in general, represents 9 vectors of movement. In order to achieve great than 9 vectors, it's necessary to push multiple keys. This is accomplished on the console by use of a digital directional pad.

On the XBox you have a digital directional pad and an analog joystick. There's NO comparison when playing football games. I can tell you that from personal experience.

keg in kc
07-15-2005, 02:31 PM
If I could afford a console, I'd get a console. Right now it's rough enough scraping enough cash together to get the game for PC, especially since I'm also saving up for the next in the Elder Scrolls series.

htismaqe
07-15-2005, 02:34 PM
If I could afford a console, I'd get a console. Right now it's rough enough scraping enough cash together to get the game for PC, especially since I'm also saving up for the next in the Elder Scrolls series.

Just say "no" to Bethesda Softworks, the ****ing crooks.

keg in kc
07-15-2005, 02:35 PM
Just say "no" to Bethesda Softworks, the ****ing crooks.If I said "no" to crooks I'd never buy anything from anyone.

Pezman
07-15-2005, 02:47 PM
The keyboard, in general, represents 9 vectors of movement. In order to achieve great than 9 vectors, it's necessary to push multiple keys. This is accomplished on the console by use of a digital directional pad.

On the XBox you have a digital directional pad and an analog joystick. There's NO comparison when playing football games. I can tell you that from personal experience.

My Logitech Wingman has the dual analog bro... just sayin, there are options for that on the PC.

htismaqe
07-15-2005, 02:56 PM
My Logitech Wingman has the dual analog bro... just sayin, there are options for that on the PC.

I agree, controllers for the PC have gotten much better. I have a Logitech dual-analog controller for my PC.

However, you still have a different peripheral architecture and the OS to contend with. You have drivers and potential driver conflicts/incompatibilties. And you have general performance as it's related to system resources, memory, and memory usage.

There's no comparison between control on the console and on the PC.

htismaqe
07-15-2005, 02:59 PM
If I said "no" to crooks I'd never buy anything from anyone.

Bethesda goes well beyond that. I put up with their 14 patches and still incomplete shit with Daggerfall.

And then I pre-ordered Battlespire for $50 and it didn't arrive. And didn't arrive. And didn't arrive. After FOUR MONTHS of waiting, they sent me a strategy guide and a gift certificate to Electronics Boutique. Of course, there isn't an EB in this part of the country and it wasn't good online.

**** BETHESDA.

keg in kc
07-15-2005, 03:11 PM
Bethesda goes well beyond that. I put up with their 14 patches and still incomplete shit with Daggerfall.

And then I pre-ordered Battlespire for $50 and it didn't arrive. And didn't arrive. And didn't arrive. After FOUR MONTHS of waiting, they sent me a strategy guide and a gift certificate to Electronics Boutique. Of course, there isn't an EB in this part of the country and it wasn't good online.

**** BETHESDA.Wow, that's pretty bad.

Never had a problem with them. I'm playing through Morrowind for a second time right now getting ready for Oblivion. :shrug:

htismaqe
07-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Wow, that's pretty bad.

Never had a problem with them. I'm playing through Morrowind for a second time right now getting ready for Oblivion. :shrug:

I do have a copy of Morrowind.

It came free with my ATI AIW9800.

htismaqe
07-15-2005, 03:39 PM
I failed to mention that during the 4 month wait, I called their long distance (they evidently couldn't afford a toll-free number due to the high number of complaint calls) hundreds of times and usually got voicemail with no call back.