PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Trade for SF D-Lineman

vailpass
07-15-2005, 11:37 AM
Holy crap that's a total of like 10 d-lineman Denver has aquired in the off-season.

Middlebrooks sent to 49ers for lineman
By Bill Williamson
Denver Post Staff Writer

The Broncos will announce a trade today in which they acquire San Francisco 49ers defensive end John Engelberger in exchange for cornerback Willie Middlebrooks.

Engelberger's agent, Robert Lattinville, said 49ers coach Mike Nolan called his client Thursday night to inform him the deal was finalized. Lattinville said Nolan told Engelberger the trade will be formally announced today.

The deal went through after the 49ers were satisfied with their background check of Middlebrooks, who is dealing with a domestic violence court case.

"John is extremely happy to be joining the Broncos," Lattinville said. "He loves the idea of being a Bronco."

The 6-foot-4, 268-pound Engelberger, who became expendable in San Francisco because the 49ers are moving to a 3-4 defensive front, is expected to be a key backup at defensive end for Denver. Known as an intense player, Engelberger had a career-high six sacks last season and has 17 1/2 sacks in five NFL seasons. He was a second-round pick from Virginia Tech in the 2000 draft.

Middlebrooks, the No. 24 overall selection in 2001, was injured most of his career with the Broncos. He was contributing as a backup cornerback and on special teams last season before he suffered ligament damage in his leg in December, ending his year.
Denver used its top three draft choices in April on cornerbacks. Middlebrooks and Engelberger, 28, each have two years remaining on their contracts.

Middlebrooks was arrested Jan. 1 on misdemeanor domestic violence charges and has an Oct. 11 trial date. He had a court hearing Monday in which he had a temporary restraining order vacated.

Denver's other new players via trade this offseason include defensive linemen Gerard Warren, Ebenezer Ekuban and Michael Myers from Cleveland and punter Todd Sauerbrun from Carolina.

Bill Williamson can be reached at 303-820-5450 or bwilliamson@denverpost.com.

http://denverpost.com/broncos/ci_2861599

whtgldwldr
07-15-2005, 11:43 AM
Maybe they're planning on running a 10-1 defense?

Garcia Bronco
07-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Hokies!

Rausch
07-15-2005, 11:57 AM
WTF is going on in Shanny's head?...

htismaqe
07-15-2005, 12:01 PM

He's lost it. Loading up on CB and DL to the detriment of the rest of the team...

Dave Lane
07-15-2005, 12:02 PM
Maybe they are going to trade for Scanlon and run the 10 - 1 it could be very effective with him as the 1.

Dave

vailpass
07-15-2005, 12:13 PM
"He's lost it. Loading up on CB and DL to the detriment of the rest of the team..."

CB, DL and punter are the main three areas of need.

Willie Middlebrooks is a first-round bust who hasn't played a full season since he was drafted in '01. Unloading him for any healthy body seems like a good idea.
Denver's D-backfield is solid, their LB corp is among the best in the league. None of this means much without a solid D-line so Shanny must be guessing that if you acquire about 20 DL 3 or 4 of them have to be worth a sh*t.
I like the approach.

Taco John
07-15-2005, 12:15 PM
He's lost it. Loading up on CB and DL to the detriment of the rest of the team...

Are you high?

vailpass
07-15-2005, 12:16 PM
Are you high?

You got some?

htismaqe
07-15-2005, 12:16 PM
Are you high?

Yep.

And you're a MAJOR buzzkill, so go away.

Taco John
07-15-2005, 12:18 PM
Yep.

And you're a MAJOR buzzkill, so go away.

You're damn straight. Get used to the idea that your buzz is going to be killed this season. Especially with takes like the aforementioned...

htismaqe
07-15-2005, 12:21 PM
You're damn straight. Get used to the idea that your buzz is going to be killed this season. Especially with takes like the aforementioned...

It's not surprising that you don't like my takes.

After all, it's not like I'm predicting that the Broncos will win the Super Bowl or suggesting that Priest Holmes lost his "burst" in the preseason of the year he set an NFL record for touchdowns.

Taco John
07-15-2005, 12:22 PM

After all, it's not like I'm predicting that the Broncos will win the Super Bowl or suggesting that Priest Holmes lost his "burst" in the preseason of the year he set an NFL record for touchdowns.

It's not that I don't like them. It's that they don't make any sense. It's as if you have no idea what you are talking about, but insist on saying something anyway.

CHIEF4EVER
07-15-2005, 12:24 PM

Yes, and let's not forget that the Donx will win another Championship before we win another playoff game. ROFL

htismaqe
07-15-2005, 12:24 PM
It's not that I don't like them. It's that they don't make any sense. It's as if you have no idea what you are talking about, but insist on saying something anyway.

It's much more fun to not have a clue yet ACT like you know what you're talking about, right?

Taco John
07-15-2005, 12:26 PM
Yes, and let's not forget that the Donx will win another Championship before we win another playoff game. ROFL

So far so good on that one, eh?

Taco John
07-15-2005, 12:27 PM
It's much more fun to not have a clue yet ACT like you know what you're talking about, right?

Dude, what you said would be like the equivalent of me saying "The Chiefs are trying to get more talent on defense to the detriment of the rest of the team."

What a stupid thing to say.

Count Zarth
07-15-2005, 12:29 PM
What's funny about all this...he's the best defensive lineman they've acquired. ROFL

vailpass
07-15-2005, 12:29 PM
From a perfectly good football discussion with rival fans to a full-out hijacking in less than 10 responses.
Godamnit.

Taco John
07-15-2005, 12:30 PM
From a perfectly good football discussion with rival fans to a full-out hijacking in less than 10 responses.
Godamnit.

Perfectly good? Are you high?

vailpass
07-15-2005, 12:31 PM

Ummmm....did KC win a playoff game when I wasn't looking?

vailpass
07-15-2005, 12:32 PM
Perfectly good? Are you high?

Shutup Beaner.

ROFL

CHIEF4EVER
07-15-2005, 12:33 PM

No, but TJ's prognostication to that effect is so absurd that it becomes comical.

Rausch
07-15-2005, 12:34 PM

Our last playoff outing saw us lose by 7 to the Colts. A team we beat the following year.

And pushed your $#it in 2 years in a row.

How that equates to you being on track to win a super bowl before we find a way to come up with 7 more pts is beyond my ability to reason....

CHIEF4EVER
07-15-2005, 12:35 PM
Godamnit.

Now, back on topic.....Ekuban is the only one of those turds that Shanny picked up that is worth anything IMO. Time will tell.

vailpass
07-15-2005, 12:36 PM
Our last playoff outing saw us lose by 7 to the Colts. A team we beat the following year.

How that equates to you being on track to win a super bowl before we find a way to come up with 7 more pts is beyond my ability to reason....

I honest to God have tried to understand your point here Rausch but for the life of me I just can't figure out what the hell you are trying to say.
Could you dumb it down for me?

Taco John
07-15-2005, 12:36 PM

Given that you guys win one playoff game per decade, I'm in a little danger on that one.

vailpass
07-15-2005, 12:39 PM
Now, back on topic.....Ekuban is the only one of those turds that Shanny picked up that is worth anything IMO. Time will tell.

I think you hit it right on the head when you say time will tell. It's no different than KC picking up FredEx and the DB they recently acquired. If they contribute that is great, if they don't there is next to nothing invested in them so off they go.
If you don't have huge cap $ you aren't signing a top-flight DL or WR so you move on to the bargain rack and hope to find a hidden treasure.

CHIEF4EVER
Given that you guys win one playoff game per decade, I'm in a little danger on that one.

ON THAT ONE?????? As opposed to being right on WHICH other one? ROFL

Count Zarth

We won two playoff games in the 90s.

Taco John
07-15-2005, 12:40 PM
ON THAT ONE?????? As opposed to being right on WHICH other one? ROFL

Well for starters, I was dead on accurate about you guys going 7-9 last year, and Gunther not making a difference. How you like dem apples?

Rausch
I honest to God have tried to understand your point here Rausch but for the life of me I just can't figure out what the hell you are trying to say.
Could you dumb it down for me?

The last time the Chiefs were in the playoffs we lost, by 7 pts, to the Colts. We couldn't hold them to a single punt and the lone turnover of the game (Holmes fumble) proved to be the difference.

You got clobbered by double digits both times you played the Colts in the playoffs. Horrible losses.

The Chiefs were 7 pts from a win in round 2, the Broncos were nowhere close to winning either of their wild card games. How that translates to you being closer to winning a super bowl than us winning a playoff game is beyond me. It doesn't make sense...

Taco John

I'm speaking on average... You guys have won 3 post season games in the last 30 years.

vailpass
07-15-2005, 12:41 PM

Until one of our teams wins a SB any playoff smack we trade is like midget wrestlers laughing at each other's small dick.

stevieray
:rolleyes:

Taco John
The last time the Chiefs were in the playoffs we lost, by 7 pts, to the Colts. We couldn't hold them to a single punt and the lone turnover of the game (Holmes fumble) proved to be the difference.

You got clobbered by double digits both times you played the Colts in the playoffs. Horrible losses.

The Chiefs were 7 pts from a win in round 2, the Broncos were nowhere close to winning either of their wild card games. How that translates to you being closer to winning a super bowl than us winning a playoff game is beyond me. It doesn't make sense...

Yes, but actually *making* the playoffs is a big part of both equations, no?

Rausch
07-15-2005, 12:42 PM

Riiiiiiiiiiight...

And you guys average 2 super bowl wins a decade? That sum it up?...

CHIEF4EVER
07-15-2005, 12:43 PM
Well for starters, I was dead on accurate about you guys going 7-9 last year, and Gunther not making a difference. How you like dem apples?

Even a Blind Hog finds an acorn ONCE in awhile. That makes you what...1 for 250 to the 10th power? :p

Taco John
Riiiiiiiiiiight...

Not wins... Appearances, though...

Rausch

Making the playoffs doesn't mean squat if you don't win a game. Ask any Chiefs fan...

Count Zarth

So, the 90s Chiefs were closer to winning the Super Bowl than the 90s Donks before vaselinegate?

vailpass

Thank you. I agree with you, that does not translate to Denver or anyone else being closer to a SB than KC.
That wasn't my point. My point was that no matter if KC lost by 7 or 70 they still lost so Taco's claim that Denver will win a SB before KC wins a playoff game is still viable and will remain so until KC wins a playoff game prior to Denver winning a SB.

Taco John
Even a Blind Hog finds an acorn ONCE in awhile. That makes you what...1 for 250 to the 10th power? :p

No. It just made me right.

stevieray
07-15-2005, 12:44 PM
Riiiiiiiiiiight...

John Elway IS the Invescos. Nothing before, nothing after.

That's why he's the only HOF'r in forty years.

Count Zarth
The truth is...the CHIEFS will win a Super Bowl before that clown Plummer ever gets the Broncos to win a playoff game. ROFL

Taco John
So, the 90s Chiefs were closer to winning the Super Bowl than the 90s Donks before vaselinegate?

I'll need a translator for this one... I'm sure you zinged me real good...

Taco John
07-15-2005, 12:46 PM
Making the playoffs doesn't mean squat if you don't win a game. Ask any Chiefs fan...

I agree... My only point is that so far my prediction is still on track.

vailpass
07-15-2005, 12:47 PM
John Elway IS the Invescos. Nothing before, nothing after.

That's why he's the only HOF'r in forty years.

Scintilating football insight there SR. And that relates to the topic of KC's abysmal playoff record in what way?

stevieray
07-15-2005, 12:48 PM
Scintilating football insight there SR. And that relates to the topic of KC's abysmal playoff record in what way?

What is Denvers playoff record without Elway?

Taco John
07-15-2005, 12:50 PM

Just a smidgin better than KC's playoff record with Trent Green.

(2 appearances vs. 1)

Taco John
07-15-2005, 12:51 PM
Oh wait... I take that back... We went 3 times since, didn't we?

vailpass
07-15-2005, 12:53 PM

Plummer =Two playoff appearances, zero wins.
Green=1 playoff appearance, zero wins.

Your point?

I respect the team KC has assembled and I appreciate being allowed to participate as a guest on this site. I don't mean to degrade the Chiefs and this is slowly turning into nothing more than shit slinging match instead of a good football discussion; I am going to withdraw from the insult portion.

ct
07-15-2005, 01:01 PM

This is a real good deal for Denver. Middlebrooks is a chump, and getting anything for him is a coup, let alone a quality DE in Engelberger.

htismaqe
07-15-2005, 01:01 PM

I believe the topic was Denver signing John Double-burger with Cheese.

I'm trying to figure out how KC's abysmal playoff record relates to that.

ct
07-15-2005, 01:02 PM

ROFL ROFL

This may very well be a keeper here!

stevieray
07-15-2005, 01:04 PM
Plummer =Two playoff appearances, zero wins.
Green=1 playoff appearance, zero wins.

Your point?

I respect the team KC has assembled and I appreciate being allowed to participate as a guest on this site. I don't mean to degrade the Chiefs and this is slowly turning into nothing more than shit slinging match instead of a good football discussion; I am going to withdraw from the insult portion.

zero wins for both teams, so let's not pretend that either team is closer to a SB.

ONE player defines who the Invescos are. They would be nothing more than a blip on the radar screen without him. Hence being the only Invesco in the Hall.

TEX
07-15-2005, 01:05 PM

Shoot,
The CHEATING DONX haven't even won the Division since he left, and everyone else has... :hmmm:

BigChiefFan
Engleberger is a solid player. Middlebrooks has been a bust. I can't find any fault in unloading a bust for a player who at least can contribute.

htismaqe
ROFL ROFL

This may very well be a keeper here!

Yep. The very definition of "ironic".

chagrin
07-15-2005, 01:09 PM
I bet Trezelle Jenkins is available still

htismaqe
07-15-2005, 01:12 PM
I bet Trezelle Jenkins is available still

Jenkins doesn't play DL or CB. Shanny doesn't want him.

vailpass
07-15-2005, 01:13 PM
zero wins for both teams, so let's not pretend that either team is closer to a SB.

ONE player defines who the Invescos are. They would be nothing more than a blip on the radar screen without him. Hence being the only Invesco in the Hall.

I agree that zero PO wins make KC and Denver equally pathetic in this century. I'm not sure who the "Invescoes" are; do you mean the Broncos? That term is as childish as "Queefs" and I don't see how you can hope to have a rational conversation while including juvenille references.

Hell yes Elway is great; IHO the greatest QB ever. Does that mean that Denver can never be good again? Does that mean that San Fran or Miami have to suck forever? I just don't see your point here.

htismaqe
07-15-2005, 01:15 PM
Hell yes Elway is great; IHO the greatest QB ever. Does that mean that Denver can never be good again? Does that mean that San Fran or Miami have to suck forever? I just don't see your point here.

You best be careful with such references. Look at San Francisco and what they've "accomplished" after the Montana/Young era...

Boardin Bronco
07-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Engleberger is a solid hard hat guy. However, I think Middlebrooks might have a 2004 Tory James Pro Bowl season down the road if he can overcome the nagging injuries.

stevieray
07-15-2005, 01:18 PM
I agree that zero PO wins make KC and Denver equally pathetic in this century. I'm not sure who the "Invescoes" are; do you mean the Broncos? That term is as childish as "Queefs" and I don't see how you can hope to have a rational conversation while including juvenille references.

Rational conversation is determined by your thin skin? Save the oprah speech. I'm sure your own fans have called them worse.

Until either team ACTUALLY wins a playoff game, neither is very good.

Boardin Bronco
07-15-2005, 01:19 PM
You best be careful with such references. Look at San Francisco and what they've "accomplished" after the Montana/Young era...

Look at Kansas City and what they've "accomplished" after the Len Dawson era...

Boardin Bronco
07-15-2005, 01:23 PM

We should all be thankful our teams put a good competitive product on the field every year. Only one of 32 gets to hoist the Lombardi Trophy. Those are tough odds. You would agree that both the Denver and Kansas City organizations are among the top dozen in the NFL. It could be a lot worse.

We should be grateful because Bill Bidwell, Paul Brown's bad seed or Alex Spanos don't own our favorite teams.

Mile High Mania
07-15-2005, 01:27 PM
All, right ... I have to call out TJ and VP... there was the playoff appearance with Griese as the QB when the team lost to Baltimore. Unless I missed something, you're both stating the 2. Elways been gone 6 seasons... So, since Elway retired... while the Broncos have not won the division, they have advanced to the playoffs 3 times ('00, '03, '04).

I keep hearing that "Denver hasn't won a division title" since Elway left... then I hear that it doesn't matter that KC has only advanced to the playoffs once and Denver 3 times b/c neither team has won.

So, what does it matter that KC or SD have had division titles since neither team won a playoff game that season?

Bring on the preseason games!

vailpass
07-15-2005, 01:27 PM

Thanks for pointing that out; I could have been clearer in my statement.

My point was that just because you have aliving legend QB (Elway, Montana, Marino) doesn't mean you can't be any good afterwards.

chagrin
07-15-2005, 01:29 PM
Jenkins doesn't play DL or CB. Shanny doesn't want him.

But he could convert him, nevermind...

vailpass
07-15-2005, 01:31 PM
Rational conversation is determined by your thin skin? Save the oprah speech. I'm sure your own fans have called them worse.

Rational conversation is determined by employing enough intellect, and respect for the opposing side, to avoid petty name calling. When you say "Invescoes" you establish a low level of dialogue.
Engaging in an adult conversation has nothing to do with thin skin, as I'm sure your wife will tell you as soon as I get my dick out of her mouth.
Out of respect for our newfound friendship though I'll refrain from wiping my tool on your bathrobe this time.

htismaqe
07-15-2005, 01:32 PM
Look at Kansas City and what they've "accomplished" after the Len Dawson era...

I don't care, nor is it relevant to the conversation.

In case you missed it, we're talking about the BRONCO'S SIGNING OF JOHN ENGLEBERGER.

We're not talking about the Chiefs.

vailpass
07-15-2005, 01:33 PM
All, right ... I have to call out TJ and VP... there was the playoff appearance with Griese as the QB when the team lost to Baltimore. Unless I missed something, you're both stating the 2. Elways been gone 6 seasons... So, since Elway retired... while the Broncos have not won the division, they have advanced to the playoffs 3 times ('00, '03, '04).

I keep hearing that "Denver hasn't won a division title" since Elway left... then I hear that it doesn't matter that KC has only advanced to the playoffs once and Denver 3 times b/c neither team has won.

So, what does it matter that KC or SD have had division titles since neither team won a playoff game that season?

Bring on the preseason games!

Yep.

Super Bowl Champions: (2)
XXXII (1997), XXXIII (1998)

AFL Champions (pre 1966):
None

Super Bowl Appearences: (6)
XII (1977), XXI (1986), XXII (1987), XXIV (1989), XXXII (1997), XXXIII (1998)

AFL Championship Games (pre 1966):
None

AFC Championship Games: (7)
1977, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1991, 1997, 1998

Division Champions: (9)
1977, 1978, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1991, 1996, 1998

Playoff Appearences: (15)
1977, 1978, 1979, 1983, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2004

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/denver/broncos.html

Mile High Mania
Yeah... that showed him. :rolleyes:

CHIEF4EVER
I think you hit it right on the head when you say time will tell. It's no different than KC picking up FredEx and the DB they recently acquired. If they contribute that is great, if they don't there is next to nothing invested in them so off they go.
If you don't have huge cap $ you aren't signing a top-flight DL or WR so you move on to the bargain rack and hope to find a hidden treasure.

Agree 100%. At first I was TOTALLY against FredEx coming to KC but after further consideration....where is the downside? We got him cheap. If he does his usual number and runs his mouth without producing - Buh Bye, no big deal, be careful not to let the door hit you in the azz on the way out. If he catches everything in sight, we got a helluva deal.

stevieray
07-15-2005, 01:34 PM
Rational conversation is determined by employing enough intellect, and respect for the opposing side, to avoid petty name calling. When you say "Invescoes" you establish a low level of dialogue.
Engaging in an adult conversation has nothing to do with thin skin, as I'm sure your wife will tell you as soon as I get my dick out of her mouth.
Out of respect for our newfound friendship though I'll refrain from wiping my tool on your bathrobe this time.

is that supposed to hurt? ROFL

Mile High Mania
07-15-2005, 01:35 PM
So, VP... what is the point of your last post with the playoff data?

vailpass
07-15-2005, 01:36 PM
is that supposed to hurt? ROFL

Anytime you want to compare wives, let me know.

Nah, just letting yo know your thin skin reference is off the mark. FWIW my wife is a hotty and I'm glad to hear your's is too.

keg in kc
07-15-2005, 01:37 PM
Well, that should shore up their line.

vailpass
07-15-2005, 01:37 PM
So, VP... what is the point of your last post?

Sorry MHM wrong thread wrong guy. :banghead:

vailpass
07-15-2005, 01:38 PM
So, VP... what is the point of your last post with the playoff data?

Confirming that you are correct; I forgot about the first playoff game post-Elway.

Mile High Mania
07-15-2005, 01:39 PM
Ah ok... I was reading that and thinking... isn't that what I said. Ok, you guys can all carry on.

stevieray
07-15-2005, 01:45 PM
Nah, just letting yo know your thin skin reference is off the mark. FWIW my wife is a hotty and I'm glad to hear your's is too.

Talking about your dick in my wife's mouth is the same as calling your team the Invescos?

uhhuh, I can see the similarities.

vailpass
07-15-2005, 02:03 PM
Talking about your dick in my wife's mouth is the same as calling your team the Invescos?

uhhuh, I can see the similarities.
Rational conversation is determined by your thin skin? Save the oprah speech.

What's wrong SR, are you thin skinned? Ready to go on Oprah?

Name calling and insult trading tend to bring down the level of the conversation, don't they?

stevieray
07-15-2005, 02:36 PM
Name calling and insult trading tend to bring down the level of the conversation, don't they?

I guess it does if you're equating a football teams name to another's man wife.

keg in kc
07-15-2005, 02:38 PM
I guess it does if you're equating a football teams name to another's man wife.If you want to equate any football team's to my ex-wife, by all means go ahead.

stevieray
07-15-2005, 02:39 PM
If you want to equate any football team's to my ex-wife, by all means go ahead.

that would be vailpass.

TEX
07-15-2005, 02:47 PM
What's wrong SR, are you thin skinned? Ready to go on Oprah?

But you're already INVESCO SCUM and there is absolutely nothing lower... :hmmm:

Hey this is post 9,000 for me. Glad something that significant was directed at DONKEY $HIT.

keg in kc
07-15-2005, 03:00 PM
that would be vailpass.I'm giving you permission.

Like...say, call Denver "the tracys" because they really suck
Or call Oakland "the tracys" because they let everybody score.

That's the idea.

And I like "Incestcos" better than "Investcos". But that's me.

ct
07-15-2005, 03:08 PM
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/denver/broncos.html

Regarding the chiefs page, this I found to be hilarious!!

Logo: A white arrowhead with a black outline, in the center of teh Arrowhead is a red interlocking KC with a black outline.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/kc/kccheiefs.html

Nightfyre
07-15-2005, 03:10 PM
Just for you donk fans....

45-17