PDA

View Full Version : ??What Superhero Movies??

Chiefs_Fan_n_64081
07-15-2005, 12:39 PM
After having seen "The Fantastic Four", and being somewhat disappointed, I found myself thinking about the Superhero movie genre in general.
Especially about the process behind which hero movies get made and which ones don't.
It seems to me that some of the obvious choices for silver screen adaptation are overlooked.
I've read that Warner Brothers is going to make both "The Flash" and "Green Lantern". Which makes me scratch my head and ponder why they haven't already been made.
I would really like a Green Lantern movie. I could see it being realized with a great special effects ride.
....though Ben might not be my first choice.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/hellrazorradio/chiefs/greenlanternbenaffleck.jpg

What Superhero movies do the inhabitants of this planet fancy?

tyton75
07-15-2005, 12:59 PM
Iron Man might be good..

Dare devil should have been MUCH better..

Goapics1
07-15-2005, 01:00 PM
What about Aqua Man?

tyton75
07-15-2005, 01:01 PM
a HOT scantily clad Wonder woman wouldn't be bad either maybe...

Captain America could be a cool movie too

Rausch
07-15-2005, 01:03 PM
What about Aqua Man?

Vince is trying, but Cameron just can't get his head out of his arse...Piven is still waiting on a call back.

Death Nebula
07-15-2005, 01:07 PM
Give me an Ultimates movie (Has to be written by Mark Millar).....followed by...Vision...JLA...Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

alpha_omega
07-15-2005, 01:08 PM
What about a Superfriends movie that encompasses all of the above, and then some...especially some of those Superheroes that may not warrant their own movie...(Hawkman, Samurai, Firestorm...etc.)

Should make for some cool villians as well! (Black Manta, Bizarro, Toyman, etc...)

Death Nebula
07-15-2005, 01:09 PM
Solomon Grundy would rock...

Rausch
07-15-2005, 01:12 PM
I think a Hulk movie with a lead actor that doesn't suck would be good.

Preacher would be cool. Tim Burton doing a Johnny The Homicidal Maniac would rock.

Death Nebula
07-15-2005, 01:13 PM
30 days of night is in the work.....

Chiefs_Fan_n_64081
07-15-2005, 01:25 PM
Dare devil should have been MUCH better..

Buy the directors cut DVD.
I originally thought Daredevil sucked, untill I saw the DC DVD.
With the additional footage and the more fluent pace of the story the DC is actually a pretty decent film.
In fact, I suspect that The Fantastic Four has been butchered.
It felt jumpy and spotty, like chunks were missing.
Maybe there will be a restored directors cut for it when it comes out on DVD?
...though, to be honest there was more than bad editing hurting TFF.

KCChiefsMan
07-15-2005, 01:26 PM
I'd like to see a good sequal to The Punisher, I enjoyed the first one

WolfDawg
07-15-2005, 02:31 PM
I have to go with Captain America and also The Avengers. Maybe Shadow hawk to.

keg in kc
07-15-2005, 02:35 PM
I still like the idea of a Silver Surfer movie.

Death Nebula
07-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Emma Frost movie.....

Bowser
07-15-2005, 05:32 PM
With the CGI that is available these days, I still say they should do a Secret Wars movie/miniseries, ala Final Fantasy.

WolfDawg
07-15-2005, 07:59 PM
With the CGI that is available these days, I still say they should do a Secret Wars movie/miniseries, ala Final Fantasy.

If they did it right a secret wars movie would kick ass, a trilogy.

Gaz
07-16-2005, 06:09 AM
"Powers."

I think a film from the normal people perspective would be a refreshing change.

xoxo~
Gaz
Has turned into kind of a Bendis fan.

Gaz
07-16-2005, 06:13 AM
NEUFELD IN CONTROL OF 'POWERS' FOR SONY

By CHARLES LYONS, CLAUDE BRODESSER

Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Avon Oeming, co-creators of Image Comics' "Powers," have sold the feature rights to their comic book to Sony-based producer Mace Neufeld ("Clear and Present Danger").

The duo will be paid low- against high-six figures.

Neufeld exec David Engel brought the project into the company and will oversee its development. The shingle plans to hire a feature scribe to pen the adaptation. Sony exec Doug Belgrad will oversee the project for the studio.

Super investigations

"Powers" features a homicide detective whose job is to solve crimes that are superpower-related.

Bendis is also writing Marvel Comics' "Ultimate Spider-Man" -- the mass-market relaunch of "Spider-Man" -- as well as "Daredevil."

The comic book creator is especially known for his series "Jinx" and "Goldfish," both of which sold to Dimension last year. He also created the comic book "Fortune and Glory," which shows what it's like for a comic book artist to deal with Hollywood.

Bendis is repped by Justin Silvera and Chris Silvermann at Broder Kurland, Webb & Uffner.

http://www.jinxworld.com/content/powers.htm

xoxo~
Gaz
Not getting his hopes up, yet.

alnorth
07-16-2005, 07:57 AM
Wow, I've never heard of Powers before, what a cool idea for a movie! I dont know about the rest of you, but I'm starting to get burned out on superhero movies. Ever since Batman was a hit years ago, the movie studios have been hungrily devouring comic book after comic book. Its gotten so bad they even made a movie on the God-awful Fantastic Four. (Did ANYONE like that one as a kid?)

I can already imagine the trailers for Powers. A gruff cynical cop looking up at a bunch of supermen flying through the sky, muttering "pfft, superheroes." Then cut to a murder scene where some superhero's mangled body is discovered, a victim of a mysterious murder, and this ordinary detective needs to solve the crime in this crazy world.

I'd pay $8.25 to see that.

siberian khatru
07-16-2005, 08:02 AM
Gaz is a "Grimjack" fan! Ha! Never would've guessed.

I like Bendis too, but I think he's been overextended.

Gaz
07-16-2005, 08:13 AM
Over the long haul [the backup in “Starslayer,” 81 issues of “Grimjack,” the “Demon Knight” graphic novel, the "Demon Wars" mini-series and now the 2005 "Killer Instinct" mini-series], “Grimjack” is the best-written comic series of all time. There were some dud issues [the bowling bit was particularly bad], but the overall quality was very high. Unfortunately, I have seen little of Ostrander since Grimjack. I did not care for his "Spectre" stuff, nor did I buy the "Star Wars" comics he wrote.

Bendis is writing a lot of books, but the quality of his writing remains high. I will color him "overextended" when he starts repeating himself every other issue [see Chris Claremont]. "Daredevil" is a completely different read from "Powers" or "New Avengers." The jury is still out on this whole "House of M" stuff. I really hate crossovers.

xoxo~
Gaz
Has a GJ poster hanging over his desk at this moment.

siberian khatru
07-16-2005, 08:26 AM
Over the long haul [the backup in “Starslayer,” 81 issues of “Grimjack,” the “Demon Knight” graphic novel, and now the mini-series], “Grimjack” is the best-written comic series of all time. There were some dud issues [the bowling bit was particularly bad], but the overall quality was very high. Unfortunately, I have seen little of Ostrander since Grimjack. I did not care for his "Spectre" stuff, nor did I buy the "Star Wars" comics he wrote.

Bendis is writing a lot of books, but the quality of his writing remains high. I will color him "overextended" when he starts repeating himself every other issue [see Chris Claremont]. "Daredevil" is a completely different read from "Powers" or "New Avengers." The jury is still out on this whole "House of M" stuff. I really hate crossovers.

xoxo~
Gaz

I haven't read the complete original Grimjack run, but I have read the new series (original team) that started up earlier this year. I like it.

I totally agree about Claremont. I've stopped reading any of his stuff.

Gaz
07-16-2005, 08:31 AM
I will buy anything written by Greg Rucka [a novelist first], Bendis or Warren Ellis [although I must confess that Ellis is starting to repeat himself and is in danger of falling off the list]. Joss Whedon’s “Astonishing X-Men” is very good, too. I also like “Boneyard” by NBM comics. Silly, but fun.

I tend to buy comics by writer, rather than character. I even bought “Adventures of Superman” when Rucka was at the wheel. Gaz buying a Superman comic…whodathunkit?

I do not particularly care about the artist [see Oeming’s “Powers” for proof of that]. However, I will give a weaker writer a shot if Mike McKone, John Cassiday or Bryan Hitch is making the visual magic.

The owner of the local comic shop has a fairly good handle on my taste, so he steers me to the small independent stuff I should be reading. So far, I am enjoying “Matador” and “Books of Magic: Life During Wartime.”

xoxo~
Gaz
Fanboy from WAY back.

AirForceChief
07-16-2005, 08:31 AM
"Daredevil" is a completely different read from "Powers" or "New Avengers."
xoxo~
Gaz

Gaz,

What do you think of the New Avengers?? I'm a huge 'old school' comic book dweeb, but don't read any new stuff...

AFC

Gaz
07-16-2005, 08:39 AM
Well, if you are hardcore “old school” Avengers, you probably will not like what has happened. Bendis pretty much demolished the old Avengers, killed off some dead wood [here come the “Gaz, you heartless creep, I liked Hawkeye” posts] and streamlined the heck out of the comic. More muscle, less class, IMO. No room for stuffy old Jarvis in Bendis' Avengers.

I am sure that a lot of folks despise the idea of Spiderman and Wolverine in the Avengers. So far, though, the stories have been entertaining. As long as he does that, I will keep buying.

If you read comics long enough, you will see a “radical reboot” of every title that starts to get stale. I have seen plenty of reboots. This one was one of the better efforts, IMO.

xoxo~
Gaz
Happens to like Bendis’ style.

AirForceChief
07-16-2005, 08:43 AM
Well, if you are hardcore “old school” Avengers, you probably will not like what has happened. Bendis pretty much demolished the old Avengers, killed off some dead wood...

Actually, this sounds great. Given you're 'writer' driven, do you have any strong feelings on the art?

Gaz
07-16-2005, 09:01 AM
Actually, this sounds great. Given you're 'writer' driven, do you have any strong feelings on the art?

The art is by Finch, who is pretty good. His artwork actually enhances the story, IMO.

“New Avengers” is by no means the best comic around, IMO, but if you want to see what one of the “young turks” in comics does with the slightly stuffy Avengers mythos, it is certainly worth your time.

The nice thing about Bendis is that he writes his stuff in clearly-defined story arcs. You will not have any trouble finding a good point to leap into the story. And the graphic novel collection of his disassembly of the Avengers is easy to find.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not affiliated with BMB in any way.

Gaz
07-16-2005, 09:01 AM
I pull these out of the boxes and re-re-re-re-read them on a fairly regular basis:

• “Grimjack”
• “Powers” [Image & Marvel Icon runs]
• Frank Miller’s run on “Daredevil” [the “Born Again” arc is very good]
• Alan Moore’s run on “Swamp Thing”
• “Sandman”
• “Cerebus” [up until it became more about Dave Sim than Cerebus]
• “Watchmen”
• “Top Ten”
• Warren Ellis’ run on “Stormwatch” & “The Authority”
• Mark Millar’s run on “The Authority”
• Jim Starlin’s “Warlock” reboot [the story he is telling over and over again now]
• “The Dark Night Returns” & “The Dark Knight Strikes Again”

What older comics do you read over and over again?

xoxo~
Gaz
Cannot get enough of a good thing.

Count Zarth
07-16-2005, 09:13 AM
Something from Dark Horse comics. Some of their Alien stuff is awesome.

AirForceChief
07-16-2005, 09:15 AM
What older comics do you read over and over again?

This just kills me. I'm over 40 y/o and still get hyped over watching cartoons with my 4 y/o daughter (did the same thing w/ my now 20 y/o son). Love the Tenn Titans. And I still read comic books...just really old ones. However, I'm getting into new ones b/c of a few boxes of comics I won in an auction.

Oddly enough, there was a large run of Grim Jack in the box. Missing #1, but have #2 thru the early twenties (haven't got through them yet). I know this is an 80s run, but I still consider it new. Now that's sad.

I have been reading what I call in my collection "The Big Four." This is my run of:

1) The Amazing Spider-Man (great movies).

2) The Avengers (please don't do movies).

3) Fantastic Four (never thought it could be a good movie).

4) X-Men (and the elvendy hundred spin-offs - and great movies, can't believe the quality casting).

I'm talking waaaaaaay old school. I start w/ #1s and read on up (yeah, that's right, I have all the number ones of those titles!). You can't believe how lengthy the early issues are. Stan Lee was/is one hokey and long winded writer.

siberian khatru
07-16-2005, 09:23 AM
The art is by Finch, who is pretty good. His artwork actually enhances the story, IMO.

“New Avengers” is by no means the best comic around, IMO, but if you want to see what one of the “young turks” in comics does with the slightly stuffy Avengers mythos, it is certainly worth your time.

The nice thing about Bendis is that he writes his stuff in clearly-defined story arcs. You will not have any trouble finding a good point to leap into the story. And the graphic novel collection of his disassembly of the Avengers is easy to find.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not affiliated with BMB in any way.

Gaz, you heartless creep, I liked Hawkeye.

I'm a regular Avengers (or New Avengers these days) reader, but IMO after an explosive start to Disassembled (VERY Bendis), I thought the climax with Scarlet Witch was silly. I felt kind of the same way I did at the end of DC's Identity Crisis.

Now, the way the story is playing out in New Avengers shows more promise. The Avengers did need a shakeup, but Wolverine is in every freakin Marvel book (where does Logan find the time?). I'm still trying to get used to Spider-Man being part of the team, too.

I have a friend who's a big Superman fan and a big Rucka fan, but he says he's really been disappointed with Rucka's work on Adventures.

I've liked Rucka on other stuff. I like Mark Waid (his run on FF was excellent, IMO), Bendis, J. Michael Straczynski, Geoff Johns, Judd Winick, Millar sometimes ... Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men has been very, very impressive. That's by far the best X book going right now, and maybe my favorite book right now. Art and writing are superb.

Gaz
07-16-2005, 09:54 AM
...I have a friend who's a big Superman fan and a big Rucka fan, but he says he's really been disappointed with Rucka's work on Adventures...

Ain’t that always the way it goes?

I am not a Superman fan. The only Superman comic I bought in a long time was when they spoofed the Authority [which I was devouring at the time]. And the owner of Prairie Dog had to bludgeon me into buying a Superman comic at all.

I started buying “Adventures” because of Rucka.

xoxo~
Gaz
Comic grazer.

Gaz
07-16-2005, 09:56 AM
AirForceChief-

I am interested to hear what you think about “Grimjack.”

xoxo~
Gaz
Big, BIG fan.

AirForceChief
07-16-2005, 09:57 AM
And the owner of Prairie Dog had to bludgeon me into buying a Superman comic at all.

Holy Crap!! Prairie Dog Comics is still around??? I frequented that place way back in the day. What's the owners name? I used to deal (get ripped off by him as a kid) a long time ago. Very generic name, IIRC...

Gaz
07-16-2005, 10:00 AM
Mark.

I never was much on wheeling/dealing. I bought them, read them, kept the ones I wanted to re-read and gave the rest to my nephew.

xoxo~
Gaz
Chooses not to calculate how much $$$ he gave away.

AirForceChief
07-16-2005, 10:02 AM
Mark.

I never was much on wheeling/dealing. I bought them, read them, kept the ones I wanted to re-read and gave the rest to my nephew.

xoxo~
Gaz
Chooses not to calculate how much $$$ he gave away.

By far the way to go. I just enjoy the genre. Comics, movies, bowling, golfing, farting around with the kid...life is very, very sweet.