PDA

View Full Version : Pick your five all-time greatest Chiefs from this list. Part 9.

Rain Man
07-15-2005, 06:15 PM
The first 8 were so successful that we're going with #9. In this one, Otis Taylor fights Mr. T.

Bowser
07-15-2005, 06:26 PM
That's a tough list to narrow down to five. I count eight.......

Neil Smith
Gary Spani
Otis Taylor
Will Shields
Art Still
Jan Stenerud
Dan Saleaumua
Dave Szott

HolmeZz
07-15-2005, 06:27 PM
Ty Law.

KChiefs1
07-15-2005, 06:28 PM
Holy Crap! Picking 5 is going to be tough....I see 8 guys who I want to vote for right now. I'll have to think about this one...

No Brainers:
Will Shields
Jan Stenerud
Art Still
Otis Taylor

I'm trying to decide on #5 between:
Neil Smith
Gary Spani
Dave Szott
Dan Saleaumua

KChiefs1
07-15-2005, 06:31 PM
That's a tough list to narrow down to five. I count eight.......

Neil Smith
Gary Spani
Otis Taylor
Will Shields
Art Still
Jan Stenerud
Dan Saleaumua
Dave Szott

Exactly! :clap:

Rain Man
07-15-2005, 06:32 PM
This one is absolutely brutal. There was no way I'd overlook Otis Taylor and Will Shields, so they're #1 and #2, respectively.

Then I hit a mass of players who were all very, very deserving. Dave Szott, Art Still, Jan Stenerud, Neil Smith, and Dan Saleaumua are all great players, and Gary Spani is a tier below them. I'm also a J.T. Smith fan, but he's the tier below Spani.

Of the five semifinalists, I very slowly and painfully excluded Neil Smith and Dave Szott. Art Still is tops among the defensive linemen, so he trumps Smith and Saleaumua. I simply couldn't vote against Stenerud, since he's a legend. That left Smith, Szott, and Saleaumua battling for the last spot. Smith and Saleaumua had more pro bowls than Szott (I think), so he's out. Smith and Saleaumua were virtually tied, so I voted for Saleaumua and then regretted not voting for Smith. I should've voted for Smith, I think.

So I went with Taylor, Shields, Still, Stenerud, and Saleaumua, but I think I should replaced Saleaumua with Smith.

Gosh, this one was tough.

Bowser
07-15-2005, 06:36 PM
This one is absolutely brutal. There was no way I'd overlook Otis Taylor and Will Shields, so they're #1 and #2, respectively.

Then I hit a mass of players who were all very, very deserving. Dave Szott, Art Still, Jan Stenerud, Neil Smith, and Dan Saleaumua are all great players, and Gary Spani is a tier below them. I'm also a J.T. Smith fan, but he's the tier below Spani.

Of the five semifinalists, I very slowly and painfully excluded Neil Smith and Dave Szott. Art Still is tops among the defensive linemen, so he trumps Smith and Saleaumua. I simply couldn't vote against Stenerud, since he's a legend. That left Smith, Szott, and Saleaumua battling for the last spot. Smith and Saleaumua had more pro bowls than Szott (I think), so he's out. Smith and Saleaumua were virtually tied, so I voted for Saleaumua and then regretted not voting for Smith. I should've voted for Smith, I think.

So I went with Taylor, Shields, Still, Stenerud, and Saleaumua, but I think I should replaced Saleaumua with Smith.

You could argue that Szott was the more deserving of the three, just for the role he had playing with Grunhard and Shields on the inside. He certainly deserved his share of pro bowls.

Rain Man
07-15-2005, 06:42 PM
You could argue that Szott was the more deserving of the three, just for the role he had playing with Grunhard and Shields on the inside. He certainly deserved his share of pro bowls.

I know. He's a sentimental favorite, but did he ever make a single pro bowl? It's tough to pick him over guys like Neil and Dan.

Phobia
07-15-2005, 06:42 PM

Yeah. But I left Spani instead of Smith. I don't know why I did it. Maybe the whole Broncos thing, I dunno. I had the rest of them in place. FWIW, a Chiefs Ring of Fame inductee is almost an automatic selection for me. Almost.

Skip Towne
07-15-2005, 06:44 PM
I hope Chiefs4me picks so I can criticize her.

Rain Man
07-15-2005, 06:44 PM
By the way, I'm a moron for picking Saleaumua over Smith. I didn't remember that Smith went to six Pro Bowls compared to only one for Saleaumua. I should've done more research before I voted.

Skip Towne
07-15-2005, 06:47 PM
By the way, I'm a moron for picking Saleaumua over Smith. I didn't remember that Smith went to six Pro Bowls compared to only one for Saleaumua. I should've done more research before I voted.
Don't let it happen again.

ChiTown
07-15-2005, 06:48 PM
I thought there were 4 no brainers:

Shields, Stills, Stenerud and Taylor. I then picked from Smith, Spani Szott and Danny S......I'm a KSU homer, so I went with Spani :ksu:

Rain Man
07-15-2005, 06:48 PM
As an aside, Art Still is one of my favorite Chiefs ever. He was awesome. I still remember one time when the Chiefs were playing the Jets, and the Jets were down on the Chiefs goal line. The running back took the ball and hit the line right where Still was at, and Still simply threw the offensive tackle into him and knocked him down, and then fell on him for the tackle. And he was doing that at a weight that was ludicrously low for a defensive lineman.

Rain Man
07-15-2005, 06:49 PM
Don't let it happen again.

I guess I deserved that. (Head hanging.)

Skip Towne
07-15-2005, 06:53 PM
As an aside, Art Still is one of my favorite Chiefs ever. He was awesome. I still remember one time when the Chiefs were playing the Jets, and the Jets were down on the Chiefs goal line. The running back took the ball and hit the line right where Still was at, and Still simply threw the offensive tackle into him and knocked him down, and then fell on him for the tackle. And he was doing that at a weight that was ludicrously low for a defensive lineman.
Still hated to practice and often loafed at practice. But he was there EVERY Sunday.

Hydrae
07-15-2005, 06:53 PM
Poor Ryan Sims, he will never get picked out of this list.

HemiEd
07-15-2005, 06:56 PM
They keep getting tougher it seems like.
Art Still
Otis Taylor
Jan Stenerud
Neil Smith
Will Shields

I had a real hard time taking Dan Saleamua and Dave Szott off of the list.

KCFalcon59
07-15-2005, 07:06 PM
Very difficult to choose. It was hard but I left Dan, Gary and Dave off the list. Each of them deserves a mention.

Shields
Still
Smith
Stenerud
Taylor

chefsos
07-15-2005, 07:22 PM
Wow. Deepest list yet. With all due respect to Still and Saleamua (there were three great defensive linemen here), I took:
Shields
Neil Smith
Stenerud-of course
Szott-gotta have O-line on this team
Otis!

JimNasium
07-15-2005, 07:24 PM
I would recommend against voting for all of the options.

milkman
07-15-2005, 08:02 PM
They keep getting tougher it seems like.
Art Still
Otis Taylor
Jan Stenerud
Neil Smith
Will Shields

I had a real hard time taking Dan Saleamua and Dave Szott off of the list.

Exactly!

Art Still was an awesome DE, who had the bad fortune of playing on some pretty sorry ass teams.
If he had played for a team that went to the playoffs a few times, and made a couple of SB runs, he might well be in the NFL Hall now.

DJay23
07-15-2005, 08:19 PM
Had to go with Smith and Saleamua over Spani and Still, since they were on such dominant D's.

The others were no brainers: Shields, Stenerud, Taylor. Tough to leave Szott off.

Zebedee DuBois
07-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Wow, tough decisions.

I chose
Shields
Spani
Stenerud
Still
Taylor

There are probably 3 to 4 others I wish I could have chosen, and I don't exactly know why I picked Spani over others, probably because of the length of being a starter.

This alphabetical segmentation is really unfair. A couple of the other polls were not nearly this rich. Perhaps grouping by position would have been better......maybe not.

Chieficus
07-15-2005, 08:26 PM
Had to go with Smith and Saleamua over Spani and Still, since they were on such dominant D's.

The others were no brainers: Shields, Stenerud, Taylor. Tough to leave Szott off.

I basically did the same thing... part of a factor I've found with these threads is being in that "awkward" age of being old enough to remember guys like Smith and Saleamua out there but being too young to have even been around when most of the other guys played...

With a few obvious exceptions, it tends to turn it into a "Greatest of my time" poll instead of a "greatest of all time"...

chefsos
07-15-2005, 08:30 PM
Jeez, who the hell DIDN'T vote for Otis Taylor?

Phobia
07-15-2005, 08:32 PM

Obviously, we have some official HOF voters amongst us.

chiefs4me
07-15-2005, 08:46 PM
I hope Chiefs4me picks so I can criticize her.

nitpick all you want...I am not playing.:harumph:

My picks

Saleauma,D
Shields,W
Smith,N
Stenerud,J
Szott,D

patteeu
07-15-2005, 08:50 PM
Otis Taylor
Will Shields
Jan Stenerud
Neil Smith
Art Still

I was a big fan of Art Still, but I don't see how he gets in ahead of Neil Smith. And as much as I like Szott, Saleamua, Spani et al, I don't think any of them make this decision that tough.

And only a moron would pick Saleamua over Smith. Rain Man said so.

chiefs4me
07-15-2005, 08:51 PM

I will give you one guess...it had to be done, because there were so many other deserving names to choose, and I knew you all would choose him..so I chose another...:)

chefsos
07-15-2005, 08:58 PM
Obviously, we have some official HOF voters amongst us.

Well, apparently the dumbsh*ts never saw "Animal House". He was the coolest dude around, though he looks like crap on a stick now. Otis! My man!

papasmurf
07-15-2005, 09:17 PM
tough group. #6 would beat alot of the 3rd picks on other polls.

milkman
07-15-2005, 09:31 PM
I will give you one guess...it had to be done, because there were so many other deserving names to choose, and I knew you all would choose him..so I chose another...:)

Well, ain't this a shocker? :mad:

cdcox
07-15-2005, 10:19 PM
Taylor, Shields, Stenerud, Stills and Saleauma.

The one I didn't like leaving off was Sensibaugh. Spani and Szott are more deseving than some who have already made it.

Neil Smith was dead to me the day he became a Donk.

Hydrae
07-15-2005, 10:21 PM
Taylor, Shields, Stenerud, Stills and Saleauma.

The one I didn't like leaving off was Sensibaugh. Spani and Szott are more deseving than some who have already made it.

Neil Smith was dead to me the day he became a Donk.

Exactly

Bowser
07-15-2005, 10:37 PM
Well, ain't this a shocker? :mad:

Absolutely not.

Rain Man
07-15-2005, 11:44 PM
I should note that the guy with the greatest average yards per carry in Chiefs history has not yet received a vote.

In an unrelated note, I like the name "smokey stover."

Hydrae
07-15-2005, 11:47 PM
I should note that the guy with the greatest average yards per carry in Chiefs history has not yet received a vote.

In an unrelated note, I like the name "smokey stover."

I would hope noone would pick Tait out of this list.

Logical
07-16-2005, 12:37 AM
nitpick all you want...I am not playing.:harumph:

My picks

Saleauma,D
Shields,W
Smith,N
Stenerud,J
Szott,DActually other than Saleamua over Otis Taylor those are not bad picks. You are at least improving.

keg in kc
07-16-2005, 12:38 AM
Actually other than Saleamua over Otis Taylor those are not bad picks. You are at least improving.Nowhere to go but up.

whoman69
07-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Surprising how little support Art Still is getting.

Saulbadguy
07-18-2005, 03:49 PM
Shields, Spani, Taylor, Stenerud, Szott.