PDA

View Full Version : Who has family/friends in Irag or Afghanistan?

Frazod
07-16-2005, 12:11 AM
Just found out today that one of my best friends is heading to Iraq in two weeks for a six month tour. He was supposed to go to Afghanistan (which I would have preferred) but his orders were changed.

He'll be running prisoner convoys in and out of Baghdad. Seems a bit odd since he's a captain in the AIR FORCE, but he's in the security forces, and they got the call.

Chris is a year younger than me. We took our ASVABs (military entrance exams) together at the Reserve Center in Kirksville 21 years ago. He enlisted in the Air Force, and I went in the Navy. I did my six years and got out, but he got his degree and then went back in as an officer. Hard to believe that I'm sitting here with my service days 15 years behind me and he's heading off to f#cking war at the age of 39.

Obviously I'm worried about what will happen to him in the next six months. Just curious as to who else knows people who are or will be heading over to one of these shitholes.

And please, I don't want this to get political. Just well wishes and stories about people. Thanks.

Michael Michigan
07-16-2005, 12:31 AM
Family in both--one good friend, several acquaintances and e-mail friends in Iraq.

One real good friend in Africa.

Phobia
07-16-2005, 12:58 AM
Tons of friends, a cousin, and a cousin-in-law.

KCJake
07-16-2005, 02:03 AM
My uncle. He isn't with the army though. He is over there, getting paid by a private contractor. Not exactly sure what he does. 125K a year. Tax free. He really isn't in any danger. Except for when he travels. Taking off and landing(planes) is a total trip he says. As soon as the plane leaves the ground, the pilot goes into some crazy maneuvers. Like a wild roller-coaster he says. They do this to avoid ground rockets.

WilliamTheIrish
07-16-2005, 02:09 AM
There are 6 people I know in Iraq/Afghanistan.

I get nervous just mentioning it for fear of bad luck.

Rausch
07-16-2005, 02:38 AM
No family. 3 friends, one neighbor, and one of my girlfriend's husbands though...

keg in kc
07-16-2005, 02:40 AM
one of my girlfriend's husbands though...I thought you'd said she was married, didn't realize she was a multiple offender.

Rausch
07-16-2005, 02:41 AM
I thought you'd said she was married, didn't realize she was a multiple offender.

That should be girlfriends friend's husbands.

Rausch
07-16-2005, 02:43 AM
I thought you'd said she was married, didn't realize she was a multiple offender.

Take 2: it's 2 am. You shouldn't be correcting my english or syntax at this hour, you should be drinking and feeling sorry for yourself. It's much better for the creative "flow."

keg in kc
07-16-2005, 02:43 AM
That should be girlfriends friend's husbands.Was she married, or just a breeder?

Rausch
07-16-2005, 02:46 AM
Was she married, or just a breeder?

Wait, that was supposed to be a pm. Or you refer to...uh......that bitch you hate as a breeder as well.

I guess you could say my g/f had a litter. And I got drunk and fell in with a "breeder."

What was your question again?...

keg in kc
07-16-2005, 02:47 AM
Wait, that was supposed to be a pm. Or you refer to...uh......that bitch you hate as a breeder as well.

I guess you could say my g/f had a litter. And I got drunk and fell in with a "breeder."

What was your question again?...That's what I meant. Breeder as in had kids.

My ex was a whore, but she didn't breed. At least that I know of.

And wow are we off topic. At least it ain't polyticks.

Rausch
07-16-2005, 02:49 AM
That's what I meant. Breeder as in had kids.

My ex was a whore, but she didn't breed.

And wow are we off topic. At least it ain't polyticks.

I'm a progressive fascist....

You?

keg in kc
07-16-2005, 02:50 AM
I'm a progressive fascist....

You?I'm an inactive member of the apathy party.

Rausch
07-16-2005, 02:51 AM
I'm an inactive member of the apathy party.

I think you outnumber us. Damn...

keg in kc
07-16-2005, 02:51 AM
I think you outnumber us. Damn...Who knows. I haven't felt like taking a census.

Rausch
07-16-2005, 03:00 AM
Who knows. I haven't felt like taking a census.

And we can't find a way to rig one...

keg in kc
07-16-2005, 03:03 AM
And we can't find a way to rig one...Well, whenever you get to it, I'm sure we'll hate the results, but won't do much about it other than bitch.

Rausch
07-16-2005, 03:05 AM
Well, whenever you get to it, I'm sure we'll hate the results, but won't do much about it other than bitch.

Cool. You're pretty much a progressive fascist then as well (at least, that's how it worked the first time...)

keg in kc
07-16-2005, 03:06 AM
Cool. You're pretty much a progressive fascist then as well (at least, that's how it worked the first time...)Is that like saying I'm a liberal that's so far to the left that I've come back around and met the guys on the right?

Rausch
07-16-2005, 03:09 AM
Is that like saying I'm a liberal that's so far to the left that I've come back around and met the guys on the right?

Nope, its like saying that if you don't give a fat frog's ass you pretty much default your vote the the party who's willing to sink as low as it takes to win...

keg in kc
07-16-2005, 03:12 AM
Nope, its like saying that if you don't give a fat frog's ass you pretty much default your vote the the party who's willing to sink as low as it takes to win...That about sums it up. Although I don't really think it matters which party it is; they both suck.

Rausch
07-16-2005, 03:16 AM
That about sums it up. Although I don't really think it matters which party it is; they both suck.

The parties don't suck, the leadership does.

Of course, at this point, both parties are willing to betray their core beliefs to get elected...

keg in kc
07-16-2005, 03:19 AM
It's not just the leadership. Politicians suck in general, regardless of their supposed "core beliefs". They're all two-faced lying snakes who don't give a damn about the people who elect them. It's supposed to be about service and representation, not about a career path and notoriety. This so-called democratic republic is in reality a plutocratic oligarchy. The system is corrupt and utterly irredeemable, short of a complete disassembly and reconstruction of the government. Hence I'm apathetic, because I don't believe the fantasy.

Timmy's gonna be soooo mad at us. :D

Rausch
07-16-2005, 03:28 AM
Hence I'm apathetic, because I don't believe the fantasy.

If you didn't, you wouldn't be a writer...

Writers don't get good at seeing what's there and describing it, they work as hard as possible at seeing what COULD be there and finding the best way to show it to people...

keg in kc
07-16-2005, 03:32 AM
If you didn't, you wouldn't be a writer...

Writers don't get good at seeing what's there and describing it, they work as hard as possible at seeing what COULD be there and finding the best way to show it to people...I wish imagination was all there is to it. I have trouble with the whole "sitting down and concentrating for more than 3 seconds" part.

Rausch
07-16-2005, 03:38 AM
I wish imagination was all there is to it. I have trouble with the whole "sitting down and concentrating for more than 3 seconds" part.

My problem is my brain works faster than my fingers.

I'm really good at A+B but I seem to think about C but not include it, then go on to D+E+F and skip G....

Me: " What'd you think?"

Person: "Looks like a good rough draft. How'd Molly get to the waterfall?"

Me: "She rode her bike."

Person:"What bike?"

Me:"The red bike. You didn't read that?"

Person:"Well, no. It wasn't in there."

Me:" It wasn't?"

Person:"No."

Me:"Oh. ****. Right. Um, get back with you tommorow?"

Person:"Sounds good. You still owe me $10 from last night at the bar."

Me:"Uh....call me tommorow!"

keg in kc
07-16-2005, 03:44 AM
My problem is that I can't concentrate at all on anything if I don't start writing the second I get up in the morning/afternoon/whenever. Once I'm distracted, even the slightest bit for a fraction of a second, I'm done. I have absolutely no ability to focus. I can't think about anything other than the project I'm supposed to be working on. Not about one of the 3-4 books I'm probably reading. Not about anything on TV. Not about anything on the radio. Not about a CD I have. Nothing. The second my mind starts to wander, I'm done. Finito. Even if I'm in the middle of writing something at the time I slip.

Plus I'm super critical. That's another real bitch.

But the weird thing is, I can brainstorm/freewrite at any time. It's the formal/serious writing I can't focus on. I think I'm blocking myself.

Rausch
07-16-2005, 03:50 AM
My problem is that I can't concentrate at all on anything if I don't start writing the second I get up in the morning/afternoon/whenever. Once I'm distracted, even the slightest bit for a fraction of a second, I'm done. I have absolutely no ability to focus. I can't think about anything other than the project I'm supposed to be working on. Not about one of the 3-4 books I'm probably reading. Not about anything on TV. Not about anything on the radio. Not about a CD I have. Nothing. The second my mind starts to wander, I'm done. Finito.

I guess I'm like the inverse-O-Keg.

I concentrate too much on what I'm interested in.

Chiefsplanet, a Stephen Hawking theory, the movie "Primer."

(A short aside: I stayed awake for 32 hours during my 2 days of until I was 100% sure I understood every nuance of that flick. Watched the flick. Watched it with the directors commentary. Watched it again with director, cast, and crew commentary. Went to the website. Read the BB on he website for 3 hours.

I'm like the bastard offspring of ADHD and OCD.... :banghead: )

keg in kc
07-16-2005, 03:54 AM
I'm like the bastard offspring of ADHD and OCD.... :banghead: )That's pretty much me.

I can focus on anything except work, although I have a tendency to do several things at once, all of them useless. Like watch, say, all 13 hours of Firefly on DVD while listening to streamlink and reading a book and playing a video game.

And then I'll get OCD about it, and I'll then realize I'm not really paying attention to the TV show, so I'll turn everything else off, and start the DVD over.

It's like tomorrow. I'll buy the Harry Potter book, read the thing cover to cover. But ask me to spend a couple of hours writing a story? I'll spend 3 hours on the first sentence and then quit. I started a story two weeks ago I should have been able to write in a couple of days, at least. I've written one page. And I'm not happy with that yet. And I'm about to scrap the entire story idea because I've found flaws in it. Flaws in a part I haven't even written yet.

It's a nightmare, being me.

keg in kc
07-16-2005, 03:58 AM
Damn, we hijacked the shit out of this. Tim's gonna have to start all over. F*cking insensitive bastards, you and I.

Rausch
07-16-2005, 04:04 AM
It's a nightmare, being me.

I'll give you the short-short version and just insert the classic "It could be worse."

EDIT: I've always hated that. I always want to say "thanks for reminding me I've fallen off the brigdge but still have YET to hit the bottom. Really appreciated. Your words are magic to my ears."

Why don't people say $#it like "It could get better tommorow!"

Well, because people suck. And alcohol is cheap. And we have too short an attention span to make a long term commitment to a real drug...

What was I-.....hey! Hot chick on Fox News! :)

Rausch
07-16-2005, 04:04 AM
Damn, we hijacked the shit out of this. Tim's gonna have to start all over. F*cking insensitive bastards, you and I.

Hey, wait.

Have you been reading my diary?.... :cuss:

keg in kc
07-16-2005, 04:08 AM
Hot chick on Fox News!If I had to list a channel as "last thing I'd ever have on" Fox News would be it. I'd watch the f@g channel before I'd turn on that self-aggrandizing conservative circle jerk.

What were we talking about again?

Hey, look, there's a cobweb up in the corner over my desk.

Ooh, watch that second hand spin around.

Rausch
07-16-2005, 04:11 AM
If I had to list a channel as "last thing I'd ever have on" Fox News would be it. I'd watch the f@g channel before I'd turn on that self-aggrandizing conservative circle jerk.

What were we talking about again?

Hey, look, my wall.

Neil Cavuto and Shepherd Smith rock.

Just hit mute and stare at the hot news babes the rest of the time.... :drool:

keg in kc
07-16-2005, 04:14 AM
Neil Cavuto and Shepherd Smith rock.

Just hit mute and stare at the hot news babes the rest of the time....Yeah, that makes sense. I have 10 HBO channels and HBO on demand. So I'll turn on Fox news to look at women.

Right.

Iowanian
07-16-2005, 06:54 PM
I've had several friends In and out...A cousin there and home...My youngest Brother is in SE Bagdad now, and there is a local reserve unit there, that I know several guys.

Yeah...its a big nerve racking.

Send him letters regularly, and a package once in a while....they all say anything from home is good.

Mr. Laz
07-16-2005, 06:55 PM
a couple

2bikemike
07-16-2005, 11:44 PM
I have buddy over there here is his last E-mail to me.

Friends,
Figured it was time to send an update again since it has been a few months. I have been in Iraq for almost 6 months now, must say that it seems longer. My battalion is still operating in the same area just west of Fallujah near the towns of Al Karmah, Abu Gurahb and Nasser Wa Salam in the Al Anbar Province. Want to thank all of you for the mountain of mail and care packages that have arrived here. It has been never ending since I got here. The war creeps on here, very slowly that is. Sometimes little happens and then days of activity. It has been interesting to follow the perception and reaction to the war in Iraq from around the world. Our reality here is based off of events that occur in a small area of western Iraq. Our Marines have responded as you would expect them to. Interesting in the sense that the bigger picture of the war means very little if anything to them. They just want to take care of their buddies and fellow Marines and dispose of the Insurgents or "Muj" as we refer to them that are out to harm us. The perception to them is a continuous cat and mouse game with the insurgents. The statement made by Dick Cheney that the insurgency is in it's last troughs would be rather hard to sell to any Marine here. What village is he talking about? We have suffered 9 KIA and 130 some wounded in the past six months. Almost 15 percent of the Battalion has been injured in combat. The endless stories of brave young kids actions collected over six months are a credit to these young men. Many probably joined because they did not know what to do after high school and never expected to find themselves here. Can't say enough about them though. A kid getting ejected from an 7000 lbs uparmoured vehicle after it was blown 7 feet in the air and landed upside down 20 feet off the road recovers from being knocked out and goes on to provide medical treatment to several severely wounded Marines. Right back on the road after he recovers from his own wounds. Some of these kids have been hit 4 or five times by IED's. I could go on and on. It has not all been good news either though, we have had plenty of bad stories. The severely wounded are just a shame and there is nothing you can do. It is stress full for all the Marines, going out of the wire is like playing roulette. Could be your day, could not be. Almost everyone has had a close call. I have been stuck aboard Camp Fallujah lately planning operations. Have not been out as much as the first 3 months. Glad to say that I am now busy planning our retrograde to the States. It will be good to get these men back. I am looking forward to some time off and will not be spending it anywhere near the Middle East. God bless the Marines that will have to follow in our footsteps. Sure wish I could talk about a few other topics than the war in Iraq but I am afraid that I have been living a rather monotonous life here. Not much else here besides war, 113 degree weather and plenty of dust storms. The internet has been a lifesaver keeping up on all the latest news. No one ever talks about what happens outside of here though. Stay focused on the task at hand and the time to return will come. Today's young Marines are very high tech.. They deploy with a laptop, MP3 player, portable DVD player and digital camera in their combat pack. Fight insurgents during the day, come back and make incredible movies of their experiences. Truly amazing, some of the movies they make. Think they have an editing studio hidden here somewhere. I on the other hand was born in the sixties and require help every morning from some of my younger Marines just to get my computer working right. I did introduce them to chess a few months ago and the junior Marines used to get a big kick out of playing the Captain especially if they were able to beat me. They are now avid chess players in their down time and the thrill of beating me is long gone, they have conspired and figured out how to beat me. I will be back soon riding motorcycles with some of you, eating Thai food and drinking Belgian beers. Don't worry some things never change. Thanks again for all of your letters and e-mails. Look forward to being able to spend some time with you all and hopefully tell you about other life experiences than Iraq.
George

Chiefsrocker
07-17-2005, 02:49 PM
My brother-in-law ios heading to Irag for the 2nd time. Was in the first war, and now going to the Iraq war. He is the head of his platoon, and works on tanks and stuff as a mechanic.

Cntrygal
07-17-2005, 03:13 PM
Friends and coworkers in Iraq, Afganistan and a few other places.

ChiTown
07-17-2005, 03:15 PM
My nephew is heading to Iraq in about a week. God bless our troops.

go bowe
07-17-2005, 04:12 PM
My problem is that I can't concentrate at all on anything if I don't start writing the second I get up in the morning/afternoon/whenever. Once I'm distracted, even the slightest bit for a fraction of a second, I'm done. I have absolutely no ability to focus. I can't think about anything other than the project I'm supposed to be working on. Not about one of the 3-4 books I'm probably reading. Not about anything on TV. Not about anything on the radio. Not about a CD I have. Nothing. The second my mind starts to wander, I'm done. Finito. Even if I'm in the middle of writing something at the time I slip.

Plus I'm super critical. That's another real bitch.

But the weird thing is, I can brainstorm/freewrite at any time. It's the formal/serious writing I can't focus on. I think I'm blocking myself.freewrite...

is that like freeware?

or writing that doesn't cost anything?

if it's like "freestyle", why not consider calling it poetry and just keep writing away?

that's what i do in my posts...

keep writing away... :) :) :)

keg in kc
07-17-2005, 04:19 PM
freewrite...

is that like freeware?

or writing that doesn't cost anything?

if it's like "freestyle", why not consider calling it poetry and just keep writing away?

that's what i do in my posts...

keep writing away... :) :) :)It means I just sit down and write whatever comes to mind, no structure. Usually I'll pick a specific something to write about, say a scene I have in mind, and just let it go from there.

The hang-up comes when I start getting specific. Then it's like a fifty-car pileup.

go bowe
07-17-2005, 04:20 PM
Damn, we hijacked the shit out of this. Tim's gonna have to start all over. F*cking insensitive bastards, you and I.oops, sorry guys...

on topic, i know several young samoans serving in afghanistan and iraq...

a few have come back wounded...

but all are proud to serve... :toast:

keg in kc
07-17-2005, 04:22 PM
And on the topic, I don't know of anyone in Iraq, although I'm sure that a number of people I grew up with are probably there. I'm not one to keep in touch, though, so I haven't talked to anyone other than my family from Athens, West "by god" Virginia in the last 13 years.

Although I don't know anybody there, I hope the shit wraps up asap so everybody can get home safe and sound.

go bowe
07-17-2005, 04:23 PM
It means I just sit down and write whatever comes to mind, no structure. Usually I'll pick a specific something to write about, say a scene I have in mind, and just let it go from there.

The hang-up comes when I start getting specific. Then it's like a fifty-car pileup.i dunno...

that sounds like your talent, so maybe you should go with it...

start a new genre if you have to...

sortalikepoetry fiction...

every new genre of art is groundbreaking in some way, why not fiction?

(ok, i'm only half-serious, but still...)

keg in kc
07-17-2005, 04:29 PM
i dunno...

that sounds like your talent, so maybe you should go with it...

start a new genre if you have to...

sortalikepoetry fiction...

every new genre of art is groundbreaking in some way, why not fiction?

(ok, i'm only half-serious, but still...)I think you're misunderstanding me. It's structured as in sentences/paragraphs, it's not structured as in I have no idea what I'm going to write, and I'm not thinking about it when I do it. I'm just doing it. But it's not poetry; it's prose. I don't write much poetry, although I'm not terrible at it.

And it's exactly what I need to do. I have to teach myself to stop editing as I go. That's the problem with being OCD. I'm making some progress, but it's hard.

go bowe
07-17-2005, 04:38 PM
I think you're misunderstanding me. It's structured as in sentences/paragraphs, it's not structured as in I have no idea what I'm going to write, and I'm not thinking about it when I do it. I'm just doing it. But it's not poetry; it's prose. I don't write much poetry, although I'm not terrible at it.

And it's exactly what I need to do. I have to teach myself to stop editing as I go. That's the problem with being OCD. I'm making some progress, but it's hard.well, then call it prosetry...

seriously, just go with the flow of creativity and worry about editing later, much later...

and take all the shiny objects off your desk... :p :p :p

keg in kc
07-17-2005, 04:41 PM
well, then call it prosetry...

seriously, just go with the flow of creativity and worry about editing later, much later...

and take all the shiny objects off your desk... I don't write at my desk. My computer is a toy to me, not a tool, so when I really want to work, I turn it off. I write by hand, the old fashioned way, then when I come up with something I like, then I'll turn the PC on, type it in and edit.

And enough about me. I'm not all that interesting.

go bowe
07-17-2005, 04:52 PM
I don't write at my desk. My computer is a toy to me, not a tool, so when I really want to work, I turn it off. I write by hand, the old fashioned way, then when I come up with something I like, then I'll turn the PC on, type it in and edit.

And enough about me. I'm not all that interesting.maybe not, but you write terrific posts... :toast:

memyselfI
07-17-2005, 07:05 PM
One of my best friend's husband has been there for almost a year. He recently returned home for 2 weeks and has headed back for an unknown amount of time.

|Zach|
07-17-2005, 07:22 PM
A good friend of mine from work is heading out next week. I hope that guy stays safe.

chefsos
07-17-2005, 07:32 PM
I consider myself very lucky, in that no one close to me is in either conflict at this time. My son-in-law's brother returned from his 2nd stint in Afghanistan around 9 months ago; his wife just gave birth to twins.