PDA

View Full Version : Do you use paypal?

Count Zarth
07-16-2005, 12:44 PM
Inquiring minds want to know. Please vote!

mlyonsd
07-16-2005, 12:45 PM
Yup. After about 5 years I haven't had a problem. Yet.

Miles
07-16-2005, 12:51 PM
Yeah its pretty much essential to buy and sell shit on ebay.

Count Zarth
07-16-2005, 12:54 PM
Yeah its pretty much essential to buy and sell shit on ebay.

I just found out the other day I can pay all my shipping costs through paypal...really handy.

DTLB58
07-16-2005, 01:20 PM
I guess I am the only no vote at this point.

It is really easy and convenient to use. I used to use it a LOT.

My wife had her paypal account stolen twice in one month about two years ago. We both cancelled our accounts after that. It was just way to much hassle to continue with their services.

When it's good it's good when things go bad it's really bad. :shake:

Also, almost everyone will take a money order if they really want to make the sell.

Count Zarth
07-16-2005, 01:23 PM
My wife had her paypal account stolen twice in one month about two years ago. We both cancelled our accounts after that. It was just way to much hassle to continue with their services.

How did it happen? Get duped into entering your info on a fake paypal website?

Logical
07-16-2005, 01:25 PM
Nope, never have, never will.

Hydrae
07-16-2005, 01:27 PM

Old fogies unite! :thumb:

Count Zarth
07-16-2005, 01:45 PM

Why not?

Buster's Dad
07-16-2005, 01:54 PM
Old fogies unite! :thumb:
right on brother

Simplex3
07-16-2005, 02:04 PM
I used to, then they started denying my payments to some overseas contractors and wouldn't/couldn't tell me why. They let me make those payments for almost 6 months, then suddely "no". F**k them.

Logical
07-16-2005, 02:07 PM
Why not?Far too common for what has happened to DTLB58's wife to happen and frankly the internet only companies are not well regulated and your recourse against them in the legal system is almost nil.

HemiEd
07-16-2005, 02:08 PM
Sure I do, you just have to be careful. A lot of BS emails used to come trying to get my information, I just forwarded them to PayPal. The fees they charge you when you sell something though are next to Shylarking. :cuss:

Count Zarth
07-16-2005, 02:14 PM
Sure I do, you just have to be careful. A lot of BS emails used to come trying to get my information, I just forwarded them to PayPal. The fees they charge you when you sell something though are next to Shylarking. :cuss:

Include the fee in your selling price.

Miles
07-16-2005, 02:22 PM

Just as a general observation it seems that sellers who dont take paypal tend to get less for their items. I personally prefer not to mess with a money order unless im geting a very good deal on something.

HemiEd
07-16-2005, 02:24 PM

I sell a lot of performance auto parts and classic auto parts. I have started listing them with no reserve and a dollar starting price for ten days. It seems to work out best overall. If you put a fair reserve and get paid with paypal, they seem to do better than I do. I have considered your option of adding the Paypal percentage, but the above method works best most of the time.

Count Zarth
07-16-2005, 02:27 PM
I have started listing them with no reserve and a dollar starting price for ten days. It seems to work out best overall.

You still get a good chunk of cash?

HemiEd
07-16-2005, 02:35 PM
You still get a good chunk of cash?

90% of the time. I always start my auctions at 9 central on Thursday, that way they end at peak time in all time zones in the 48 states when most people are off and free to bid at the end of the auction. As you probably know, the last couple of minutes are the most important.

Count Zarth
07-16-2005, 02:40 PM
I always start my auctions at 9 central on Thursday, that way they end at peak time in all time zones in the 48 states when most people are off and free to bid at the end of the auction.

That is a great idea. Why Thursday?

HemiEd
07-16-2005, 02:46 PM
That is a great idea. Why Thursday?

It ends on Sunday night that way. During the winter I end them on Saturday evening. It is worth the 10 or 15 cents that they charge to choose your start time IMO. The dollar starting fee makes the listing fee pretty cheap also.

chefsos
07-16-2005, 03:09 PM
I have used Paypal in the past on ebay. However, I moved and changed ISPs at the same time about a year ago, and went thru all kinds of crap getting back into the account. Couldn't just start a new one either, because my info was already there (duplication).
Plenty of other online accounts of mine were easily updated.
I never did get back in, so I just don't bid on items that are only payable thru Paypal. Simple as that.
I'll never use them again, and told them so in one of those "Contact Us" emails. Of course they didn't respond, because I couldn't UPDATE MY FREAKIN' EMAIL ADDRESS!

Nelson Muntz
07-16-2005, 03:19 PM
I have used Paypal in the past on ebay. However, I moved and changed ISPs at the same time about a year ago, and went thru all kinds of crap getting back into the account. Couldn't just start a new one either, because my info was already there (duplication).
Plenty of other online accounts of mine were easily updated.
I never did get back in, so I just don't bid on items that are only payable thru Paypal. Simple as that.
I'll never use them again, and told them so in one of those "Contact Us" emails. Of course they didn't respond, because I couldn't UPDATE MY FREAKIN' EMAIL ADDRESS!

I hate the damn sellers that don't put up anywhere on the auction that Paypal is the only payment method they accept, and then leave you negative when you ask to pay another way.

DTLB58
07-16-2005, 03:25 PM
How did it happen? Get duped into entering your info on a fake paypal website?

No, Not at all. We had used it for several months before it happened and didn't give any more or new info out at any time after the initial sign up.

We really don't know how it happened. E-bay sent us an affidavit to fill out in case they ever caught the person.

chefsos
07-16-2005, 03:28 PM
I hate the damn sellers that don't put up anywhere on the auction that Paypal is the only payment method they accept, and then leave you negative when you ask to pay another way.

Indeed. It's sometimes hard as hell to find that info on the page.