PDA

View Full Version : DirecTV is a piece of crap...

cdcox
07-16-2005, 06:32 PM
... according to my wife.

Now that I have Skip's attention, my problem.

When we use the remote after it has been sitting for some period of time, the red "SAT" light goes on and the whole thing freezes. Then, about 20% of the time, it will lose the satallite signal and have to down load all the information from the satellite again. About once every two weeks, it will completely lock up until we disconnect the power.

I'm guessing this is a reciever problem. We are considering getting TiVO. Will this fix all these problems?

Herzig
07-16-2005, 06:43 PM
I'm guessing this is a reciever problem. We are considering getting TiVO. Will this fix all these problems?

I'm not Skip...but it should fix it. Actually, I bet DTV would replace the receiver free of charge. Have you tried unplugging it and restarting the receiver?

TRR
07-16-2005, 06:43 PM
As long as I get my Sunday NFL Ticket...I don't care.

DTLB58
07-16-2005, 06:52 PM
One of my receivers has a "reset" button on the front of it you can just push instead of unplugging it all the time.

Mine went goofy yesterday, I was just sitting here no inclimate weather at all and the screen went out and it said searching for signal. Now this was just on the regular dish my local channels thru the other dish were fine. After about an hour and resetting it twice the picture came back and it's been fine.

I agree, sometimes I feel like there a piece of crap also. But the alternative, local cable I found out my In-laws are paying $80 a month with basically the same channels (no movie channels) and I pay $49.33 a month and get the ticket so......I hope I don't have any of these funk problems this fall and winter skip :)

cdcox
07-16-2005, 06:52 PM
I'm not Skip...but it should fix it. Actually, I bet DTV would replace the receiver free of charge. Have you tried unplugging it and restarting the receiver?

Yeah, that is what we have to do after it locks up, but we are still having the regular inconveniences.

cdcox
07-16-2005, 06:55 PM
As long as I get my Sunday NFL Ticket...I don't care.

Same here....

but gotta keep the Mrs. happy.

Skip Towne
07-16-2005, 07:17 PM
Seedy Cocks - Do all of your receivers do this or just the one?

BigMeatballDave
07-16-2005, 07:18 PM
As long as I get my Sunday NFL Ticket...I don't care.Amen, brother...

cdcox
07-16-2005, 07:25 PM
Seedy Cocks - Do all of your receivers do this or just the one?

We hardly ever use the downstairs one. Just a second and I'll go check.

cdcox
07-16-2005, 07:31 PM
Yeah, the downstairs one is messed up too. It said "No channels match current settings". So I unplugged it and now it is downloading information.

Skip Towne
07-16-2005, 07:33 PM
I bet they wouldn't unless it's under warranty or you pay the monthly maintenance fee.

Logical
07-16-2005, 07:43 PM
I once had a similar problem due to a bad phone cord between the wall and the receiver. Since you have the problem with both receivers I doubt it is that unless your house line is actually bad.

cdcox
07-16-2005, 07:45 PM
I once had a similar problem due to a bad phone cord between the wall and the receiver. Since you have the problem with both receivers I doubt it is that unless your house line is actually bad.

Hmm, the house line theory may be worth looking into.

Skip Towne
07-16-2005, 07:47 PM
Nope, they run just fine with no phone line. I've never hooked up a phone line to mine.

Skip Towne
07-16-2005, 07:48 PM
Hmm, the house line theory may be worth looking into.
Nope. Are they both screwing up or just the one?

cdcox
07-16-2005, 07:49 PM
Skip, if we get TiVO:

a) does that mean our receiver will be replaced by the TiVO?

b) do you think that is likely to fix the problem?

cdcox
07-16-2005, 07:50 PM
Nope. Are they both screwing up or just the one?

See post 10.

Herzig
07-16-2005, 07:56 PM
Skip, if we get TiVO:

I would think so. Skip doesn't know jack about TiVo

cdcox
07-16-2005, 08:00 PM
I would think so. Skip doesn't know jack about TiVo

ROFL Thanks, Herzig.

Skip Towne
07-16-2005, 08:07 PM
ROFL Thanks, Herzig.
Since you have Herzig, you don't need me.

cdcox
07-16-2005, 08:14 PM
Since you have Herzig, you don't need me.

Whatever, you certainly are under no obligation. But I'd still apreciate any insight, all kidding aside.

Sincerely,
Seedy Cocks

Logical
07-16-2005, 09:13 PM
Skip, if we get TiVO:

Yes TIVO replaces the DirectTV receivers entirely, in fact you have to take the DirectTV card out of the receiver install it in the TIVO receiver and call DirectTV to have them activate them. S

b) maybe, but I doubt it, the likelihood of both receivers being bad is remote (though possible).

I will leave it to Skip to suggest where the correction lies but most likely it is between the dish and the DTV cable or possibly the positioning of your dish be such that you are somewhere that the signal from the Satelite is being lost.

cdcox
07-16-2005, 09:25 PM
Yes TIVO replaces the DirectTV receivers entirely, in fact you have to take the DirectTV card out of the receiver install it in the TIVO receiver and call DirectTV to have them activate them. S

b) maybe, but I doubt it, the likelihood of both receivers being bad is remote (though possible).

I will leave it to Skip to suggest where the correction lies but most likely it is between the dish and the DTV cable or possibly the positioning of your dish be such that you are somewhere that the signal from the Satelite is being lost.

We have some tall trees that gave the installer some problems a couple years ago. I wonder if they have grown enough since installation that they are now interfering with the signal? Still, it seems funny that the vast majority of problems occur when the TV is first turned on and we use the remote after a long rest period. We normally leave our receiver on.

Logical
07-16-2005, 09:32 PM
We have some tall trees that gave the installer some problems a couple years ago. I wonder if they have grown enough since installation that they are now interfering with the signal? Still, it seems funny that the vast majority of problems occur when the TV is first turned on and we use the remote after a long rest period. We normally leave our receiver on. I did not realize the receivers were old that may change things though I doubt it. Those trees definitely could be an issue if they have grown into the line of sight for the satelite signal.

If you were going to get TIVO anyway then go ahead and see if it fixes it. However, if you are only thinking of getting it to fix the problem I would not be confident it will resolve the problem.

Skip Towne
07-17-2005, 04:18 AM
Whatever, you certainly are under no obligation. But I'd still apreciate any insight, all kidding aside.

Sincerely,
Seedy Cocks
I'm glad to help you. First we need to find where the problem is. Are both receivers doing the same thing?

chiefwidow
07-17-2005, 06:10 AM
WIth Tivo you have two incoming lines to one receiver. We haven't had any problems with ours. Phone line is for pay per view/ or updates. When we had a problem, some how the dish got turned a little bit.
If you get tivo from Dtv... a tech will come out.... make sure you have the tech take the receiver your replacing off the bill.

Skip Towne
07-17-2005, 06:16 AM
WIth Tivo you have two incoming lines to one receiver. We haven't had any problems with ours. Phone line is for pay per view/ or updates. When we had a problem, some how the dish got turned a little bit.
If you get tivo from Dtv... a tech will come out.... make sure you have the tech take the receiver your replacing off the bill.
You'll have to call Directv to activate your Tivo. That is the time to make sure the replaced receiver is removed from your bill. The tech can't do it.

sparkky
07-17-2005, 08:32 AM
anyone here install the direct TV systems? I'm getting ready to retire the big dish in a week or two. I'd just as soon deal with someone here.

Skip Towne
07-17-2005, 08:37 AM
anyone here install the direct TV systems? I'm getting ready to retire the big dish in a week or two. I'd just as soon deal with someone here.
Where is the Elms Hotel?

go bowe
07-17-2005, 08:40 AM
excelsior springs, mo

meddle
07-17-2005, 09:17 AM
what's the make/model of the receivers?

Skip Towne
07-17-2005, 09:33 AM
I'd go to the yellow pages and find an ad with a local address. Then go down there and ask about getting Directv. That way you aren't just a number, now they know you. There are a lot of national companies that have their number in your phone book. To them, you are just an order number.

Skip Towne
07-17-2005, 04:55 PM
Bump for Seedy Cocks.

|Zach|
07-17-2005, 06:24 PM
I am getting Dish Network at the first of August.