PDA

View Full Version : How much have you paid to watch each Chiefs game in your life?

Rain Man
07-17-2005, 06:46 PM
Step 1. Add up everything you've ever spent on Chiefs-related stuff. This includes tickets, parking, concessions, travel expenses to attend games, Chiefs jerseys, memorabilia, and other souvenirs, plus any sports bar, satellite, and Direct TV expenditures that you wouldn't otherwise have incurred. In other words, add up everything that you have spent to either watch the Chiefs or somehow identify yourself with the Chiefs.

Do NOT include family expenses, such as buying tickets for your wife or child. This is only your costs to watch games yourself. However, if you split parking costs or hotel costs with someone outside your household, count only your share.

Convert all dollars to today's dollars. For example, if you bought Chiefs tickets in 1962, assume that they cost their 2005 price.

Step 2. Now add up the total number of Chiefs games that you have seen, including all games on television or in person.

Step 3. Divide the dollar figure in Step 1 by the number of games in Step 2.

Here are my figures:

1. Costs of Chiefs tickets, parking, and concessions. I've been to perhaps 8 to 10 Chiefs games, and have averaged perhaps $80 per event. That's $720.

I drove long distances to all of them since I've never lived near Kansas City. I'll add about $800 in hotel costs (split some rooms on occasion), plus another $1,500 in travel for mileage and food. Total: $2,300.

I've probably dumped $15 in a sports bar about 80 times just to watch the Chiefs. That's another $1,200.

I've got three jerseys and assorted other souvenirs. Maybe $300 on that stuff.

My total lifetime expenditures are therefore about $4,520.

2. I started watching the Chiefs at about the age of 6. As a child, my parents had warped values and often took me to church or to relatives' houses on Sundays, and of course the games weren't always televised where I lived. From the age of 6 to 12, I probably saw 5 games a year. From 13 to 18, I worked a lot of Sundays and the Chiefs were frequently not televised, so I averaged maybe 8 games a year. From 19 to 22, I rarely missed a game and average probably 15 games a year. From 23 to 30, I lived in cities where the Chiefs were rarely televised, and sports bars didn't exist yet, so I bought videotapes as much as possible, averaging maybe 6 games a year. From 31 on, I've rarely missed a game, and can safely say that I average 16 games a year.

That totals up to 367 games.

When I divide $4,520 by 367 games, my average cost per game is about $12.32 per game.

Logical
07-17-2005, 06:53 PM
Far, far in excess of an average of 100 a game, course traveling from San Diego is a big part of that.

Rain Man
07-17-2005, 06:54 PM
How often do you travel in from SD, Vladvlib?

Count Zarth
07-17-2005, 06:55 PM
GAH!!! I didn't read the thread starter and voted.

Electric
07-17-2005, 06:55 PM
Ticket prices plus traveling 180 miles.

I'd say it was minimal. I've never paid more than face value for tickets.

luv
07-17-2005, 07:00 PM
My first and only game so far was the game against the Texans last year. I went with dad and TK. Dad paid for my ticket if I would be the designated driver for the drive home. I'd do it again, even knowing what it was like to be in the cab of a Silverado with two drunk people. TK was really funny, even when she tried to grab the wheel. I snapped at her. Good times.

Skip Towne
07-17-2005, 07:00 PM
That looks like an income tax form. You're a stoolie for the gubment aren't you?

Rain Man
07-17-2005, 07:02 PM
That looks like an income tax form. You're a stoolie for the gubment aren't you?

Dang. I forgot to account for depreciation on the jerseys.

Count Zarth
07-17-2005, 07:05 PM
About $12. I'm not exact on how many Chiefs games I've actually viewed. It's around 90. I've been a fan since 92, but saw maybe 4 games a year on average from 1993-2000. I discovered sports bars in 2001.

mcan
07-17-2005, 07:09 PM
I voted for more than 100 dollars. I didn't realize that it was an average thing though, so that's probably not right. It's probably closer to $50.00.

The most I've spent on a single game? Two years ago, we were on a roll and I got news that I would have to travel to Denver (for a theatre conference) on the Sunday of the AFC Champoinship game. Realizing that the Chiefs could very well be IN that game, I immediately bought a plane ticket to Denver for that day that would put me in town at 7:00 AM. I figured that if the Chiefs made it to the game I could watch it in the hotel or find a sports bar. Of course, we ended up getting beat by the freaking Colts, and I flew to Denver for no reason (when I could have taken the bus for free).

ENDelt260
07-17-2005, 07:19 PM
GAH!!! I didn't read the thread starter and voted.
Me, too. I should've known better.

Logical
07-17-2005, 07:25 PM
How often do you travel in from SD, Vladvlib?
At most once a year. Now I used to have season tickets with a friend and travel to every game from Wichita Ks but that is not nearly as expensive.

milkman
07-17-2005, 07:45 PM
Are you nuts?

Just thinking about trying to figure out this shit makes my head hurt.

I've spent a lot of money.
That's all you're gonna get from me!

Logical
07-17-2005, 07:50 PM
Well I screwed up as well.

Step 2. Now add up the total number of Chiefs games that you have seen, including all games on television or in person.

Probably went from well over 100 to around 20 or less with that caveat. I have missed almost no games that were available on TV since 1965, that is a lot of games.

Skip Towne
07-17-2005, 07:55 PM
About $12. I'm not exact on how many Chiefs games I've actually viewed. It's around 90. I've been a fan since 92, but saw maybe 4 games a year on average from 1993-2000. I discovered sports bars in 2001.
Have you ever been to a Chiefs game?

Skip Towne
07-17-2005, 08:00 PM
Well I screwed up as well.

Probably went from well over 100 to around 20 or less with that caveat. I have missed almost no games that were available on TV since 1965, that is a lot of games.
I lived in KC in 1965 and the Chiefs were not on TV then. Then Wichita to about '68 still no Chiefs. Then Coffeyville till about 72 a few Chiefs games. Then Chanute in '73 and have seen every game since.

HemiEd
07-17-2005, 08:05 PM
Are you nuts?

Just thinking about trying to figure out this shit makes my head hurt.

I've spent a lot of money.
That's all you're gonna get from me!

Exactly, the 2003 three seats on the 50 in Green Bay and travel was, well I am not saying. But well worth every penny, a time I will never forget.

Logical
07-17-2005, 08:06 PM
I lived in KC in 1965 and the Chiefs were not on TV then. Then Wichita to about '68 still no Chiefs. Then Coffeyville till about 72 a few Chiefs games. Then Chanute in '73 and have seen every game since.
Unless I am misunderstanding Kevin he is including away games which were on TV. My next door neighbor has a 50 foot rotating antenna and we would tune in the game from cities in places like Wichita, Western Kansas etc so we saw the home games I did not go to as well (pretty rare I missed a home game at old Muni and pretty much never at Arrowhead until 1990.

Nzoner
07-17-2005, 09:02 PM
Step 1. Add up everything you've ever spent on Chiefs-related stuff. This includes tickets, parking, concessions, travel expenses to attend games, Chiefs jerseys, memorabilia, and other souvenirs, plus any sports bar, satellite, and Direct TV expenditures that you wouldn't otherwise have incurred. In other words, add up everything that you have spent to either watch the Chiefs or somehow identify yourself with the Chiefs.

I made it this far Kevin and realized it would take a full blown audit,so I'll just say alot as well.