PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Don't Need Ty Law

KC2004
07-18-2005, 08:08 AM
Interesting article I saw on Yahoo Sports.

Chiefs Don't Need Ty Law
Mike Nugent - Scout.com
July 18, 2005 at 12:58am ET

Right now, the hottest subject in Kansas City is the Chiefs' ongoing dance with Ty Law. Since the beginning of the off-season the Chiefs have been flirting with the Law and his agents, attempting to add the 10 year veteran to a then woeful defensive team.

Even after the Chiefs scored a coup by signing cornerback Patrick Surtain , the front office was still showing an interest in the former Patriots cornerback. Even now, with his antics involving the media, it appears that Law's signing is imminent or is it.

It appears that the sticking point at this time is money. The Chiefs are interested in signing at Law at a price below what he would get if he'd hit the open market without health questions. The Chiefs also would like assurances that Law will be healthy at the start of the season, and would like a physical prior to Law signing a contract. Law maintains that he will be ready, and wants to be paid close to what he would collect had there been no health issues.

The Kansas City faithful and it appears even Law himself believe that the Chiefs need Ty Law . With Eric Warfield 's upcoming four game suspension, there are those that believe that Law is absolutely essential to surviving the initial part of the season where the Chiefs will face the Jets, Raiders, Broncos, and the Eagles. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The reality is that the Chiefs will be fine, with or without Law. Law is a great corner, no doubt about it, and if he is healthy, he will continue to dominate just like he has in the past. He's a luxury, though, not a necessity. Yes, outside of Warfield, the corners didn't play well last year, and sure, he would be make a nice addition to any roster, but when you look at it he's not absolutely needed and could potentially be a disaster.

If Law is signed, and he doesn't make it through the first four games, it would prove to be a mistake by the Chiefs front office. Of course in the NFL, you never know, but a team would at least want a player to start the season at 100%. Now, it's understood that signing Law would be a long term deal, but still, the only reason he's even being discussed right now is because of Warfield's suspension.

When you look at the first four games of the season, and really consider it, the teams the Chiefs will face aren't that scary, other than the Oakland Raiders, who have the AFC West's best receivers Randy Moss and Jerry Porter, scare just about everyone. But what other dynamic receiving corps are the Chiefs supposed to face?

Laveranues Coles of the Jets is solid, and everyone knows about Terrell Owens of the Eagles. Don't think for a minute that with the safety support the Chiefs secondary has now plus the addition of Patrick Surtain; you're telling me that the Chiefs can't hold down the fort the first quarter of the season. Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham can devise scheme to keep these teams in check.

Yes, the first four games feature three playoff teams from last season, and the fourth, the Raiders, significantly improved the offense last season. The truth is the Jets, despite having a solid defense, will struggle to keep up with the Chiefs' scoring machine. The Jets added solid wide receiver in Laveranues Coles to a receiving corps including the indomitable Wayne Chrebet. That aside, the main concern when facing the Jets is last year's NFL rushing champion Curtis Martin. Stopping him will limit the Jets ability to run their play action, which fuels their passing game.

The Broncos are in absolute disarray. Rod Smith is aging, and the team is still waiting on Ashley Lelie to live up to his potential. With the addition of Kendrell Bell and Derrick Johnson , and the improvement of Keyaron Fox , the Chiefs' have more than enough tools and speed available to stop quarterback Jake Plummer's bootleg.

Last year's NFC champion, the Eagles will also struggle to keep up with the Chiefs offense. Stopping the Eagles West Coast offense will be a task for the entire defense, not just one corner. The Eagles like to run and spread the ball around. The offense is also predicated on timing, so disrupting that timing of the offense becomes a key focus for the defensive line and linebackers.

People that are saying the Chiefs need Ty Law are sorely mistaken. Everyone knows that success in the first four games is vital to making a playoff push. The Chiefs and the fans realize that this is the best shot that Kansas City has had in years of reaching a Super Bowl. Naturally, tensions are high, considering this may be the one shot the Chiefs will have for some time.

However, common sense and good judgment must rule the day. The Chiefs can get through the first four games at 3-1 or even 2-2, and go into the bye week with a great chance of making a strong playoff run. Kansas City doesn't need to do anything that will disrupt team chemistry or put them in salary cap hell. If Ty Law can be had at a reasonable price and he's fine to start the season, pull the trigger. If the Chiefs' front office doesn't feel good in any way about the deal then they should walk away.

Trust me, it will be fine.

Electric
07-18-2005, 08:13 AM
Interesting article I saw on Yahoo Sports.

Chiefs Don't Need Ty Law
Mike Nugent - Scout.com
July 18, 2005 at 12:58am ET

Right now, the hottest subject in Kansas City is the Chiefs' ongoing dance with Ty Law. Since the beginning of the off-season the Chiefs have been flirting with the Law and his agents, attempting to add the 10 year veteran to a then woeful defensive team.

This article is one that is "make news".

From a source inside the Chiefs organization:

There is nothing even remotely likely that the Chiefs are in the midst of serious negotiations and about to sign Ty Law. Nothing could be further from the truth. Itís people trying to make news instead of reporting it. Itís not even rumor-worthy since nothing is taking place.

The team stays in touch just like the agent does with a half dozen other teams. Itís my understanding the player doesnít even have doctorís clearance to begin working out. Itís all nonsense.

ROYC75
07-18-2005, 08:14 AM
I have been saying this all along.... but what do I know, right ?

Kerberos
07-18-2005, 08:16 AM
Just when you have your foot securly planted on the "SIGN" TY LAW Bandwagon someone has to bring up a GOOD POINT.

DAAAAMMMMIT :cuss: :banghead:

Kerberos
07-18-2005, 08:18 AM
I have been saying this all along.... but what do I know, right ?

Why do we need LAW when we have Scanlon!

:D

ct
07-18-2005, 08:20 AM
Another statement of the obvious, there are just too many chicken littles in Chiefdom, or bored sports media personel that NEED this to be a story.

Ty Law isn't coming to KC. We will be fine with Surtain and Ambrose, with McCleon in the nickel.

ROYC75
07-18-2005, 08:21 AM
Why do we need LAW when we have Scanlon!

ROFL Damn right........

Ty Law at the right price would be OK. He is older, how long can he perform at that level ( pre injury ) ?

The schedule is tough, but not difficult to get around.

Dr. Facebook Fever
07-18-2005, 08:26 AM
My favorite part....

The Broncos are in absolute disarray. Rod Smith is aging, and the team is still waiting on Ashley Lelie to live up to his potential. With the addition of Kendrell Bell and Derrick Johnson , and the improvement of Keyaron Fox , the Chiefs' have more than enough tools and speed available to stop quarterback Jake Plummer's bootleg.

Electric
07-18-2005, 08:29 AM
My favorite part....

Especially since Plummer has been known to:

Warrior5
07-18-2005, 08:31 AM
I figured the first Law thread would appear around 0800.

nascher
07-18-2005, 08:36 AM
Dj will like Plummers bootleg :)

ptlyon
07-18-2005, 08:37 AM
I figured the first Law thread would appear around 0800.

I was going to post a "WTF are all the Ty Law threads?" thread, but KC2004 saved me.

While I have never been in the "sign Ty Law" camp due to obvious reasons, I don't think that Nugent has all his ball bearings.

Those first 4 games are tougher than he's trying to let on, and I'm sorry, but the Browncows are not in disarray. Even if they were, it is a division game, away, and that is enough to make it tough.

If we come out 2-2 the in the first 4, I'd be happy. I'd be really happy if the wins were the Oakland and Denver games.

Warrior5
07-18-2005, 08:47 AM
I was going to post a "WTF are all the Ty Law threads?" thread, but KC2004 saved me.

While I have never been in the "sign Ty Law" camp due to obvious reasons, I don't think that Nugent has all his ball bearings.

Those first 4 games are tougher than he's trying to let on, and I'm sorry, but the Browncows are not in disarray. Even if they were, it is a division game, away, and that is enough to make it tough.

If we come out 2-2 the in the first 4, I'd be happy. I'd be really happy if the wins were the Oakland and Denver games.

While I'm sick of all the Law gossip, this is one of the better articles I've read. I agree that the first 4 are going to be tougher than Nugent states.

And yes; if the Chiefs are at least 2-2 before their bye week, they will be in great shape.

ptlyon
07-18-2005, 08:50 AM
P.S. - Glad you're back home safe W5.

Warrior5
07-18-2005, 08:55 AM
P.S. - Glad you're back home safe W5.

Actually, I've been back since Jan 04, but thank you very much for the kind words.

Valiant
07-18-2005, 09:18 AM
Valiant, you do not need to sleep with ten hot ass women at once...

NO, but dammit it would it would help.. Feel same way about law and the chiefs...

Gaz
07-18-2005, 09:58 AM
What a boneheaded blind homer.

If we do not sign Law, the season is over.

xoxo~
Gaz
Terrified.

RedThat
07-18-2005, 10:14 AM
Chiefs don't need Law that is correct. Law wants the Chiefs to pay him the money. Law wants money whether it'd be the Chiefs, Jets, Jags, phins, whatever. So far he ain't gett'n none. I love it!

Stick to your ego Ty :rolleyes:

You gotta go to where it's all about the situation. The situation of the checkbook. Reality check means that is home. Just stay at home Ty.

Kerberos
07-18-2005, 10:21 AM
What a boneheaded blind homer.

If we do not sign Law, the season is over.

xoxo~
Gaz
Terrified.

Gaz .. do I detect in your words anything remotely facetious?

JimNasium
07-18-2005, 10:32 AM
My favorite part....

Interesting to see Key Fox mentioned isn't it?

ptlyon
07-18-2005, 10:43 AM
Interesting to see Key Fox mentioned isn't it?

Shows what he actually knows about this team

JimNasium
07-18-2005, 10:45 AM
That's my thought too. I, for one, hope to be pleasantly surprised by Fox. I'm not sure where he fits into the LB equation though. :hmmm:

ptlyon
07-18-2005, 10:47 AM
That's my thought too. I, for one, hope to be pleasantly surprised by Fox. I'm not sure where he fits into the LB equation though. :hmmm:

Exactly.

JimNasium
07-18-2005, 10:48 AM
Exactly.
He's an OLB on a defense that has two starters on the outside already. Can he play MLB?

TEX
07-18-2005, 11:02 AM
Chiefs don't need Law that is correct. Law wants the Chiefs to pay him the money. Law wants money whether it'd be the Chiefs, Jets, Jags, phins, whatever. So far he ain't gett'n none. I love it!

Stick to your ego Ty :rolleyes:

You gotta go to where it's all about the situation. The situation of the checkbook. Reality check means that is home. Just stay at home Ty.

Yep. I have no problem with Law wanting the most money he can get. I do have a problem withthe fact that LAW is ALWAYS CRYING about MORE MONEY - even after he signed his last contract for way ABOVE market value which made him the highest paid CB by FAR at the time. It took s few years for the market to catch up to that contract and it seems that Law has forgotten all about that. Law is the type that will put his needs ABOVE the team and bitch and moan about it to all that will listen, much like Terrell Owens. He is talented, but he is INJURED. His stellar play of the past should be considered whith his next contract, but he is INJURED. Therefore HE should GIVE the most and sign a deal for less than he thinks he's worth, with a ton of incentives, with the understanding that IF he can come back and play at a top level, he will be rewarded with a new - higher paying deal. Any team that breaks the bank with him now is simply foolish.

htismaqe
07-18-2005, 11:05 AM

Maybe he knows something we don't.

ptlyon
07-18-2005, 11:07 AM

Like Rhonda Moss?

JimNasium
07-18-2005, 11:07 AM
I wonder if he knows Ted?

:p

htismaqe
07-18-2005, 11:08 AM
He's an OLB on a defense that has two starters on the outside already. Can he play MLB?

Maybe Gunther finally pulled his head out and decided that he could put Bell at MLB...

JimNasium
07-18-2005, 11:09 AM
Maybe Gunther finally pulled his head out and decided that he could put Bell at MLB...
That would be the solution if Key is ready to go IMO.

htismaqe
07-18-2005, 11:10 AM
That would be the solution if Key is ready to go IMO.

I want the 3 best LB's on the field. Bell and Johnson are 2 of the 3. I don't care what position they play, if Fox gives us a better chance to win than Kawika, put Fox on the field and shuffle the positions to make it work.

Chiefnj
07-18-2005, 11:12 AM

It's an article from WPI.

htismaqe
07-18-2005, 11:13 AM

JimNasium
07-18-2005, 11:13 AM
ROFL

ROYC75
07-18-2005, 11:15 AM
I don't think that's the reason, but more like a writer that is speaking out loudly in favor of Fox.

Just when do writers get everything right that a coach speaks of ?

htismaqe
07-18-2005, 11:21 AM
I don't think that's the reason, but more like a writer that is speaking out loudly in favor of Fox.

Just when do writers get everything right that a coach speaks of ?

That's precisely why I posted the response that I did.

This isn't Nick Athan speculating on FACT, using his "sources" inside Arrowhead.

This is a writer expressing his OPINION, based on his own observations of the Chiefs and their opponents.

I think his statement about Fox indicates that he was impressed with him at mini-camps. He would be anything but alone on that.

Bowser
07-18-2005, 11:22 AM
That's precisely why I posted the response that I did.

This isn't Nick Athan speculating on FACT, using his "sources" inside Arrowhead.

This is a writer expressing his OPINION, based on his own observations of the Chiefs and their opponents.

I think his statement about Fox indicates that he was impressed with him at mini-camps. He would be anything but alone on that.

Jesse Haynes used to impress at mini camps.

I'll believe it when I see it.

RedThat
07-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Yep. I have no problem with Law wanting the most money he can get. I do have a problem withthe fact that LAW is ALWAYS CRYING about MORE MONEY - even after he signed his last contract for way ABOVE market value which made him the highest paid CB by FAR at the time. It took s few years for the market to catch up to that contract and it seems that Law has forgotten all about that. Law is the type that will put his needs ABOVE the team and bitch and moan about it to all that will listen, much like Terrell Owens. He is talented, but he is INJURED. His stellar play of the past should be considered whith his next contract, but he is INJURED. Therefore HE should GIVE the most and sign a deal for less than he thinks he's worth, with a ton of incentives, with the understanding that IF he can come back and play at a top level, he will be rewarded with a new - higher paying deal. Any team that breaks the bank with him now is simply foolish.

If anyone were to break the bank on him, I'll place my bets on a surprise team like Detroit. It wouldn't surprise anyone to see Matt Millen make a typical dumbass move. If not Detroit, I'll take my chances and say a team like Oakland will sign him. The Raiders are quite famous for giving those long term multi-million dollar contracts to 30-35 year old players.

*What your saying won't happen. Ty Law has too much of an ego...And to make matters worse, the Postons compliment that. Fugg him. After hearing him on 810, he completely turned me off, I don't want him here. I'm very content with Warfield as the #2 corner.

TEX
07-18-2005, 11:31 AM
If anyone were to break the bank on him, I'll place my bets on a surprise team like Detroit. It wouldn't surprise anyone to see Matt Millen make a typical dumbass move. If not Detroit, I'll take my chances and say a team like Oakland will sign him. The Raiders are quite famous for giving those long term multi-million dollar contracts to 30-35 year old players.

*What your saying won't happen. Ty Law has too much of an ego...And to make matters worse, the Postons compliment that. Fugg him. After hearing him on 810, he completely turned me off, I don't want him here. I'm very content with Warfield as the #2 corner.

Yep. I agree. I know it won't happen - it's much too fair of a scenario for Ty Law.

htismaqe
07-18-2005, 11:34 AM
Jesse Haynes used to impress at mini camps.

I'll believe it when I see it.

That is true, but it's also all we have to go on right now.

It's not like we're talking about benching the next Derrick Thomas, or even benching Kendrell Bell. We're talking about ways that we can keep Kawika Mitchell off the field.

Bowser
07-18-2005, 11:36 AM
We're talking about ways that we can keep Kawika Mitchell off the field.

[Vince Vaughn] I like where your head's at! [/Vince Vaughn]

mcan
07-18-2005, 11:49 AM
Need is definately a strong word, but I don't think you can argue that he would be a significant upgrade over Ashley Ambrose to start the year... Also, since when did we start justifying losses? "The Chiefs can afford to go 2-2.." Bullsh!t. That's not how you play the game or plan for the season. Dick Vermeil cuts the year up into quarters. That would make us a .500 team. Does this sound like a champion to you?

No, we don't NEED Ty Law, but if we can get it done, we'd surely love to him. I know that I'd hate to end up losing this division by dropping one early to a rival like Oak!and.

Mr. Laz
07-18-2005, 01:05 PM
we didn't need knight either...

but it's about whether you want to push for a super bowl or not

if your going by bare minimum need then why sign any free agents.

Nugent is a numb nuts and need to stick with playing the guitar.

htismaqe
07-18-2005, 01:07 PM
we didn't need knight either...

but it's about whether you want to push for a super bowl or not

if your going by bare minimum need then why sign any free agents.

:bravo:

Nugent is a numb nuts and need to stick with playing the guitar.

ROFL

Chiefnj
07-18-2005, 01:09 PM
They should make Law another offer before Warfield gets arrested for his 4th DUI.

Rukdafaidas
07-18-2005, 01:09 PM
I noticed nfl.com has DJ listed as our starting MLB. But, they also have Morton listed as a starting WR.

Wile_E_Coyote
07-18-2005, 01:17 PM
They should make Law another offer before Warfield gets arrested for his 4th DUI.

but then Law could pull a hammy running from a traffic stop

Bowser
07-18-2005, 01:21 PM
but then Law could pull a hammy running from a traffic stop

He would pull his hammy at a rave while pingin' on the X.........

jspchief
07-18-2005, 01:57 PM
For an article written by one of the WPI staff, it's actually pretty good.

The point he makes about us not facing a scary #2 WRs in the first four weeks is somewhat legit, although Lelie probably deserves more credit, while Porter deserves less.

I have a feeling Fox may be getting a shot due to DJ being a rookie. Fox certainly seems to have made an impression this spring, and he knows the defense. I don't care for the idea of Johnson not starting, but if he's not ready, there's little that can be done. Personally, I hope Bell will end up in the middle, with Johnson and whoever else on the outside.

beer bacon
07-18-2005, 02:02 PM

Fox started at OLB in camp. I don't think anyone really thinks he will be starting over Bell or DJ, but he should be better in passing situations then Fujita.

KChiefs1
07-18-2005, 02:07 PM
For an article written by one of the WPI staff, it's actually pretty good.

There are actuallly some decent writers over there...except for "the one who shall remain nameless"! :)

Rausch
07-18-2005, 02:22 PM
No matter who signs Law it will be a gamble. Teams like the Patriots and Eagles and Steelers don't need to gamble right now. I think as long as they're healthy any of those three could be in the big dance.

Teams like the Colts or Chiefs or Titans need to throw the dice. Teams that either haven't won a playoff game in ten years or quickly see a closing window at making a run.

Or in our case, both...

Herzig
07-18-2005, 02:42 PM
The point he makes about us not facing a scary #2 WRs in the first four weeks is somewhat legit, although Lelie probably deserves more credit, while Porter deserves less.

I totally disagree with you. Porter is much better than Lelie although both are talented.

Otter
07-18-2005, 02:43 PM

Your strategic placement of caps is awe inspiring.

Chiefnj
07-18-2005, 02:47 PM
I totally disagree with you. Porter is much better than Lelie although both are talented.

I agree. I also think McCareins of the Jets is a decent #2 receiver.

StcChief
07-18-2005, 02:49 PM
I've been thinking the same thing. We will be fine with out Leon "pay me" Law.

Rausch
07-18-2005, 02:52 PM
Fox started at OLB in camp. I don't think anyone really thinks he will be starting over Bell or DJ, but he should be better in passing situations then Fujita.

I wonder who'll play the two LB spots in the nickel. DJ and Bell? With Stills speed/pass rush ability and more experience do we throw him in there? Fujita?

Dave Lane
07-18-2005, 02:52 PM
And I don't need a million dollars

Dave

jspchief
07-18-2005, 02:56 PM
I totally disagree with you. Porter is much better than Lelie although both are talented.People have been saying that about Porter for 3 years now and he's never been anything more than decent. Same with Justin McCareins. We keep hearing about how good he's going to be, and at the end of every year he grades out as an average #2. Lelie, while he still drops a lot of balls, has become one of the better deep threats in the NFL.

I'll bet Lelie hurts us more than Porter in our first game against their respective teams.

Rausch
07-18-2005, 03:04 PM
I'll bet Lelie hurts us more than Porter in our first game against their respective teams.

I doubt it. Surtain needs to be Mandy Ross' shadow. That said, one of our other CB's will be covering Porter. There's no need to throw Surtain's direction when you can throw at McClingon/Old man Ambrose.

And I don't care who's covering Rice or Rod Smith, you don't throw at Leslie on 3rd down when you need ten yards. The Fade have the luxury of throwing at the weakest corner while Denber better toss it to a guy who'll actually make the catch...

RedThat
07-18-2005, 03:08 PM
I doubt it. Surtain needs to be Mandy Ross' shadow. That said, one of our other CB's will be covering Porter. There's no need to throw Surtain's direction when you can throw at McClingon/Old man Ambrose.

And I don't care who's covering Rice or Rod Smith, you don't throw at Leslie on 3rd down when you need ten yards. The Fade have the luxury of throwing at the weakest corner while Denber better toss it to a guy who'll actually make the catch...

I dont even think McClingon will be there....Me thinking he slides down the depth charts, and Ambrose will be our #2 CB, and Bennie Sapp as the nickel for our first 4 games.

whoman69
07-18-2005, 03:27 PM
Worthless Law Thread # 1,433

htismaqe
07-18-2005, 03:50 PM
I wonder who'll play the two LB spots in the nickel. DJ and Bell? With Stills speed/pass rush ability and more experience do we throw him in there? Fujita?

Hopefully, we throw Stills in the garbage...

Bowser
07-18-2005, 03:51 PM

ANd get rid of a Pro Bowl starter? Are you mad???/?

keg in kc
07-18-2005, 04:01 PM
Whether we "need" him or not doesn't change the fact that he'd be nice to have.

RedThat
07-18-2005, 04:06 PM

I dont agree with that. You don't throw a special teams ace in the garbage.

Herzig
07-18-2005, 04:39 PM
People have been saying that about Porter for 3 years now and he's never been anything more than decent. Same with Justin McCareins. We keep hearing about how good he's going to be, and at the end of every year he grades out as an average #2. Lelie, while he still drops a lot of balls, has become one of the better deep threats in the NFL.

Lelie is good deep threat. He really hasn't been the player he was at Hawaii...Not sure if that has more to do with Griese and Plummer. He was a stud in college..I remember watching him and hoping the Chiefs would draft him. Here's the #'s...Pretty much a coin flip.

Jerry Porter

RECEIVING
Year Team G GS No Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ FD
2000 Oakland Raiders 12 0 1 6 6.0 6 0 0 0 0
2001 Oakland Raiders 15 1 19 220 11.6 21 0 1 0 14
2002 Oakland Raiders 16 14 51 688 13.5 36 9 12 0 36
2003 Oakland Raiders 10 1 28 361 12.9 35 1 5 0 21
2004 Oakland Raiders 16 16 64 998 15.6 52 9 17 5 47
TOTAL 69 32 163 2273 13.9 52 19 35 5 118

Ashley Lelie

Year Team G GS No Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ FD
2002 Denver Broncos 16 1 35 525 15.0 48 2 9 3 24
2003 Denver Broncos 16 10 37 628 17.0 60 2 11 5 25
2004 Denver Broncos 16 16 54 1084 20.1 58 7 21 5 40
TOTAL 48 27 126 2237 17.8 60 11 41 13 89

htismaqe
07-18-2005, 04:57 PM
ANd get rid of a Pro Bowl starter? Are you mad???/?

A Pro Bowl starter? What a joke.

As far as Stills being a special teams ace, if a guy like Grigsby can step in and do the job, Stills is guaranteed gone...

regald
07-18-2005, 05:06 PM
Anyone who believes that article has legitimacy is crazy.

He's an obvious Chiefs fan; I'm assuming he didn't watch much of the Broncos last season due to his comment about Ashley Lelie. The truth of the matter is Lelie had a breakout season last year, receiving over 1000 yards. They also increased their depth on the defensive line, meaning they'll be stouter against the run, especially with Trevor Pryce. They reacquired Ian Gold and they still have Champ Bailey. They have one of the fastest linebacker cores in football, one of the best corners in the game, and one of the stoutest defensive lines now that Trevor Pryce is healthy.

Rod Smith performed well last year, enough to chase down Julius Peppers 100 yards and recover a fumble. He'll prove the author wrong again because he makes illegitimate comments.

I'm also not even close to a Broncos fan, but you won't see me lie about teams either.

Patrick Surtain is a great cornerback, but the truth of the matter is Warfield needs to regain confidence. Ambrose is being used as an insurance policy and Mccleon is far from a cover corner. Ty Law isn't a luxury; he's a shut down corner that would greatly improve your secondary, going from Top 15 to Top 2-3.

The author also wrote "common sense rules the day", he must've ignored the fact the Chiefs signed Kendrell Bell, an oft injured linebacker. He was the best FA the chiefs could acquire, but he comes with a price tag. Anyone whose in the FA prime will probably be overpaid, i.e. Kendrell Bell. Ty Law's foot was broken during the Steelers game; he's not even close to injury prone, as no one can withstand a broken foot.

There's no injury history at all, and since "common sense rules the day", signing Ty Law is less risky than Kendrell Bell.

The truth of the matter is you don't need Law, Bell, or Surtain. You could also say that about any one player. But the difference between good teams and bad teams is players and coaching. Players make plays, if you want Eric Warfield and Mccleon to attempt to make plays for you next year, that's the Chiefs choice and apparently the author wouldn't mind it.

But Gunther's coaching has been in question, so highly skilled players are needed. The Chiefs have rolled the dice numerous times in FA, especially this year as its Super Bowl or bust. Saying Ty Law is "a luxury" is ludicrous.

the Talking Can
07-18-2005, 05:15 PM
They also increased their depth on the defensive line, meaning they'll be stouter against the run, especially with Trevor Pryce..... and one of the stoutest defensive lines now that Trevor Pryce is healthy.

The Chiefs have rolled the dice numerous times in FA, especially this year as its Super Bowl or bust.

praising the turds denver signed on the DL while simultaneously saying that the Chiefs "rolled the dice" this year in fA does not make you a homer - as you pointed out- it makes you A SUPER HOMER...

Bowser
07-18-2005, 05:24 PM
A Pro Bowl starter? What a joke.

As far as Stills being a special teams ace, if a guy like Grigsby can step in and do the job, Stills is guaranteed gone...

Hell, between Grigsby, Scanlon, and the Thorpes, Stills' future is looking pretty bleak.........

Thig Lyfe
07-18-2005, 06:03 PM
Valiant, you do not need to sleep with ten hot ass women at once...

NO, but dammit it would it would help.. Feel same way about law and the chiefs...

You'd have less of a chance contracting an STD in signing Ty Law, though.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-18-2005, 06:13 PM
The Chiefs don't need Ty Law, but a healthy Law would make them better. I think if the Chiefs front office had the choice of having either one pro bowl CB or two, they'd take two. That's why they are still talking with Law's agents. That, and I don't think the Chiefs are comfortable with Warfield's inconsistency or Ambrose's age. Plus, they see this divison and how they got smoked last year, and they know if they want to get to where they want to go, they have to improve, finally.

Bowser
07-18-2005, 06:14 PM
I'd be shocked if Law signed anywhere before the start of training camp. I wouldn't look for it before then.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-18-2005, 06:25 PM
If we do in fact sign Law, McCleon will be released after Warfield's suspension is served, I'm thinking.

The only reason we keep him is he's a DV guy. Kind of the only reason we keep Hicks. So I just shot down my thinking that McCleon will get cut.

regald
07-18-2005, 07:44 PM
Alright, Law isn't the only answer either. The Patriots won without with an undrafted CB. That also shows how much pressure they got on the QB so he wasn't burned.

I think Surtain brings swagger to the teams, he's being paid to give that swagger so if Warfield or Mccleon don't up the anty, take out the scissors (cut cut cut).

regald
07-18-2005, 07:46 PM
It also may've been wise to draft a rookie CB in the 3rd-5th round. The Chiefs now have the option of rookie players learning from some of the best in the league at their position. They didn't have that last year, Warfield was the #1 corner. They great thing about experience is you don't neccessarily have to rely on coaching as much, see what coaching did for the defense last year.

tomahawk kid
07-19-2005, 07:34 AM
John Clayton was on DA's show this morning on 610.

To summarize what he said:

1. Nobody is going to sign Law until his asking price comes down.

2. He thought that the Jets had the best chance to sign Law, since Abraham's retirement left them w/ the most cap room (obviously doesn't take into account the Chiefs re-negotiating w/ some of their players in an effort to free up cap room).

3. He listed the teams that Law would most likely land w/ as follows:

Jets
Jaguars
Chiefs / Pats

4. He said that this will probably go on for another 10 days or so, before Law would sign w/ a team. He DID think that Law would be 100% some time during the cource of Training Camp.

In short, he doesn't know where Law will end up but didn't sound optomistic that he would sign w/ KC.

FWIW......

the Talking Can
07-19-2005, 07:35 AM
John Clayton was on DA's show this morning on 610.

To summarize what he said:

1. Nobody is going to sign Law until his asking price comes down.

2. He thought that the Jets had the best chance to sign Law, since Abraham's retirement left them w/ the most cap room (obviously doesn't take into account the Chiefs re-negotiating w/ some of their players in an effort to free up cap room).

3. He listed the teams that Law would most likely land w/ as follows:

Jets
Jaguars
Chiefs / Pats

4. He said that this will probably go on for another 10 days or so, before Law would sign w/ a team. He DID think that Law would be 100% some time during the cource of Training Camp.

In short, he doesn't know where Law will end up but didn't sound optomistic that he would sign w/ KC.

FWIW......

Did he blame Nick Athan?

I would have.

Coogs
07-19-2005, 09:53 PM
I tend to agree with the writer about the 1st 4 games not being critical with respects to our CB play. I am, however, worried about the last 3 or 4 games of the year. I would much rather have a healthy Law and Surtain at the CB position in the playoffs, and that is my sole reason for wanting to aquire Law in the first place. Playoffs Baby!!!

Deberg_1990
07-19-2005, 09:55 PM
I tend to agree with the writer about the 1st 4 games not being critical with respects to our CB play. I am, however, worried about the last 3 or 4 games of the year. I would much rather have a healthy Law and Surtain at the CB position in the playoffs, and that is my sole reason for wanting to aquire Law in the first place. Playoffs Baby!!!

Exactly, anybody who doesnt want a healthy Ty Law or doesnt think we could use a player of that caliber is out of their damn mind! Especially after the horrendous cornerback play of the past 5 years.

TEX
07-19-2005, 10:19 PM
Exactly, anybody who doesnt want a healthy Ty Law or doesnt think we could use a player of that caliber is out of their damn mind! Especially after the horrendous cornerback play of the past 5 years.

I belive most feel as I do in that Law must come down on his contract demands.

keg in kc
07-19-2005, 10:20 PM
I belive most feel as I do in that Law must come down on his contract demands.I don't think it's as much a matter of contract demands as it is proving he's able to play.

Rausch
07-19-2005, 10:22 PM

You know, I don't think you're a very nice person...

keg in kc
07-19-2005, 10:24 PM
You know, I don't think you're a very nice person...Nice guys finish last.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-19-2005, 10:31 PM
I don't think it's as much a matter of contract demands as it is proving he's able to play.

I agree. IMO, when the Chiefs offered Law that contract earlier on in FA they weren't going to be finished with the CB position if he accepted. I hope I'm right, but I think their plan is/was to get two top CBs this offseason.

I think it's more Ty Law proving he is healthy then we all will be surprised by the money we give him (that and signing him). The Chiefs can make it work. Besides, it's more signing bonus and guaranteed money than it is his regular season salary. If Lamar is willing to give him the cash, I hope he is, then we should have no trouble signing Law. It's just a matter of when the Chiefs think he's healthy enough to have in for another physical, etc, then it's on from there.

ChiefFripp
07-20-2005, 05:52 PM
I just wonder if Ty Law would be hungry for another SB. You know all the vets on this team are dumbfounded they haven't gotten deeper into the playoffs and will play this season as if it's their last shot. The rookies will see this attitude and feel like they are letting the vets down if they don't play their best. Ty on the other hand is probably just concerned about the money and maybe not as concerned( desperate) about having another SB run.