PDA

View Full Version : Steam Cleaner recommendations

Fat Elvis
07-18-2005, 10:34 AM
Does anyone have any recommendations for steam cleaners?

We have a higher end berber carpet and want to make sure it stays looking nice.

Thanks

Fat E

htismaqe
07-18-2005, 11:01 AM
Hoover sucks...and not in a good way.

ptlyon
07-18-2005, 11:14 AM
You talking about L. Ron Hoover, the Hoover steam cleaner, or the Chiefsplanet Drew Carey look alike?

Skip Towne
07-18-2005, 11:16 AM
Stanley Steamer advertises a lot in Tulsa.

kc rush
07-18-2005, 12:26 PM

Our Hoover steam-vac works great. We've got a 3 year old, a dog, and two puking cats, and it has pulled up just about any stain we've had.

htismaqe
07-18-2005, 12:31 PM
Our Hoover steam-vac works great. We've got a 3 year old, a dog, and two puking cats, and it has pulled up just about any stain we've had.

How many times have you used it? They generally start to fail after about 25-30 hours of continuous use...

Simplex3
07-18-2005, 12:40 PM
How many times have you used it? They generally start to fail after about 25-30 hours of continuous use...
ROFL I'd fall apart if you used me for 25-30 hours continuously, too.

kc rush
07-18-2005, 12:51 PM

Usually once a month for real cleaning and occasional spot treatments when needed. We've had it for a little over a year now.

My parents have had one for a few years now and haven't had any problems that I know of.

ptlyon
07-18-2005, 01:20 PM

"I towd you noone to bother me while I'm cweening my woom!"

Electric
07-18-2005, 01:24 PM
I don't think you can find any brand that will keep you totally happy. Some clean well some do not.

We bought a Hoover Steam Vac Dual. It works great on spills when they first happen, but if you let the spill stand it lacks the power to get the liquid out of deep carpet. I'm not sure how it would work on berber.

I'd recommend going to the library or getting online with Consumer Reports and looking up what they say is the "current" best.

htismaqe
07-18-2005, 02:40 PM

ROFL

I meant contiguous.

I moved into my house in 2000. We have 2 kids and 2 cats. We also have 2 dogs, but only the kids and cats soil the carpets.

I've owned THREE Hoover steam vacs in that time (in-laws work for Maytag Corp).

Chief Roundup
07-18-2005, 03:16 PM
The best recommendation anyone can give you is to STAY AWAY !!!!!!!! from Steam Cleaning your carpet.
Especially with Berber carpet. Berber carpet is so tight that it is very very hard to get the water and soap back out of it. Any soap that is left with attract and hold dirt. Water will damage the backing of your carpet.
The best advice I can give you is to spot clean your carpet by hand. If there is a dry cleaning carpet cleaner in the area. Use them and get some spotter from them and use the foam off of the soap not the water. You may have to aggitate the water to create the foam but that is what you want to use to prolong the life and look of your carpet.

Fat Elvis
07-18-2005, 04:54 PM
The best recommendation anyone can give you is to STAY AWAY !!!!!!!! from Steam Cleaning your carpet.
Especially with Berber carpet. Berber carpet is so tight that it is very very hard to get the water and soap back out of it. Any soap that is left with attract and hold dirt. Water will damage the backing of your carpet.
The best advice I can give you is to spot clean your carpet by hand. If there is a dry cleaning carpet cleaner in the area. Use them and get some spotter from them and use the foam off of the soap not the water. You may have to aggitate the water to create the foam but that is what you want to use to prolong the life and look of your carpet.

Can you purchase a dry cleaner?

Fat Elvis
07-18-2005, 10:57 PM
Shaw seems to recommend a steam cleaner, but it seems to make sense what Chief Roundup says.

I'm pretty confused.

What aoubt a rug doctor; they are a bit more high end than a regular steam cleaner.

cdcox
07-19-2005, 01:00 AM
The Hoover worked great for me. Took the blood right out of the carpet. Cops couldn't even find it with the luminol.

Braincase
07-19-2005, 05:30 AM
We have a Hoover SteamVac. Really good at getting the bloodstains out of the carpet in the Rec Room.

Frankie
07-19-2005, 06:55 AM

You may be right. Supposedly there are secret photos of J. Edgar Hoover (the infamous former FBI director) out there confirming your post here....:p (FYI)