PDA

View Full Version : River Falls/Chief's TC-Family Fun Night: Aug 5-7

Mr. Kotter
07-18-2005, 08:20 PM
Family Fun Night is Sturday, August 6th....

http://www.uwrf.edu/chiefs/

During JazzFest in Sioux Falls this past weekend a couple of us discussed meeting up that weekend in River Falls. I'll have a nine yr old, and an eleven yr old with me....so it can't be too crazy, for me anyway....but I'd still be interested in meeting some other Planeteers.

Saturday morning for breakfast; or Saturday night after the scrimmage?

Anyone game?

|Zach|
07-18-2005, 08:25 PM
I don't think thats to young to hit the strip clubs.

The Bad Guy
07-18-2005, 08:35 PM
I'm flying in on the 4th and will be there until the 7th.

Maybe I can meet up with some of you guys.

Mr. Kotter
07-18-2005, 10:08 PM
I'm flying in on the 4th and will be there until the 7th.

Maybe I can meet up with some of you guys.

Cool.

I'll bump this thread occaisionally to see who else might be interested.

We'll hope to see you sometime that weekend.

1adam1238
07-18-2005, 10:11 PM
I'm going to be there August 1-4, it would be cool to meet a few of you.

saturnknts
07-18-2005, 10:35 PM
anyone know what the drive time from kc is? always wanted to make a weekend run up there from wichita.

Iowanian
07-18-2005, 10:59 PM
Next year.

Mr. Kotter
07-18-2005, 11:06 PM
anyone know what the drive time from kc is? always wanted to make a weekend run up there from wichita.

It's about 460 miles from KC--about a 7 hour drive, give or take....

KChiefs1
07-18-2005, 11:08 PM
I'll be in River Falls August 4th - 7th.

TRR
07-18-2005, 11:44 PM
My first year for TC, I went to FFN, and I wasn't impressed. From then on out, I always go to the KC Vs Vikes Scrimmages, or in this case...KC Vs Vikes Preseason game 1.

I thought I would get a lot of autographs at FFN, but I get more after their regular practices.

Mr. Kotter
07-19-2005, 08:00 AM
My first year for TC, I went to FFN, and I wasn't impressed. From then on out, I always go to the KC Vs Vikes Scrimmages, or in this case...KC Vs Vikes Preseason game 1.

I thought I would get a lot of autographs at FFN, but I get more after their regular practices.

I agree about the autographs; I don't even bother for myself. My 9 yr old boy, and 11 yr old niece though really had a good time with the whole "atmosphere" last year though. They did a pretty nice job--the sky-divers, the contests, the mascots, the scrimmage, the fireworks, etc.

I don't know if there is an "easy" or "good" time to get autographs--and, personally, that's no biggie. But the two or three they were able to get during FFN last year was good enough for them though.

Rukdafaidas
07-19-2005, 08:38 AM

Yeah, if you're visiting River Falls with autographs as your main intention, FFN sucks. I waited in line 4 or 5 hours to get Tony's autograph. I found it best to go to the campus before/after practices, breakfast and lunch for autographs.

Mr. Kotter
07-19-2005, 08:54 AM
Yeah, if you're visiting River Falls with autographs as your main intention, FFN sucks. I waited in line 4 or 5 hours to get Tony's autograph. I found it best to go to the campus before/after practices, breakfast and lunch for autographs.

I agree. If that's what you want....that works better....except I found the "stars" avoid those lines one way or another, it seemed....it was as if they designated one player to "satisfy" the autograph seekers...."ok, Eddie, it's your turn now. TRich, you've got lunch. Brian, you've got dinner." Otherwise, only backups, camp fodder, or rookies seemed to be the only ones willing to sign. It was a good thing I didn't really care about it. Just my observation.

Rukdafaidas
07-19-2005, 09:12 AM
I agree. If that's what you want....that works better....except I found the "stars" avoid those lines one way or another, it seemed....it was as if they designated one player to "satisfy" the autograph seekers...."ok, Eddie, it's your turn now. TRich, you've got lunch. Brian, you've got dinner." Otherwise, only backups, camp fodder, or rookies seemed to be the only ones willing to sign. It was a good thing I didn't really care about it. Just my observation.
Yeah, they would see the mob of people and think, man if I sign one, I'm going to have to sign for all of these people. So, the last day I was there, I decided to go mid-afternoon and got Trent, Priest and Gonzo's autographs. There were only about 10 autograph seekers there at the time.

munkey
07-19-2005, 09:18 AM
Going up the 15th....

dirk digler
07-19-2005, 09:43 AM
I will be there 4-7. I am game just name the time and place.

Nzoner
07-19-2005, 09:55 AM
If anyone is going to be there the 28th thru the 31st and is interested here's a link for The Rockin' Ribfest (http://www.ribamerica.com/stpaul_entertainment.html) in Minneapolis.

We did this a couple of years ago as it's only about a 30 minute drive.The free entertainment is no where as strong imo this year but overall it's a decent time with an abundance of beer and bbq.

Scaga
07-19-2005, 10:38 AM

Was checking this out the other day myself. Best deal would be to catch a flight from Wichita to St.Paul and then rent a car. Found a deal on Travelocity.com that had the round-trip airfare and hotel for $340.
With the price of gas, you'd probably be better off flying anyway. :clap:

Mr. Kotter
07-19-2005, 10:48 AM
I will be there 4-7. I am game just name the time and place.

Looks like BadGuy and KCChiefs1 might be able to join us too. Hopefully some others....

If anyone has ideas/preferences on what, where, and when....let me know. Otherwise, I've been a few times, so I'll just designate a time and place as we get closer.

I'll bump the thread from time to time between now and then too.

dirk digler
07-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Looks like BadGuy and KCChiefs1 might be able to join us too. Hopefully some others....

If anyone has ideas/preferences on what, where, and when....let me know. Otherwise, I've been a few times, so I'll just designate a time and place as we get closer.

I'll bump the thread from time to time between now and then too.

Cool.

I have never been to River Falls so I really don't know any of the good places to go.

Mr. Kotter
07-19-2005, 10:58 AM
Cool.

I have never been to River Falls so I really don't know any of the good places to go.

Here's a couple of links you may want to peruse....

http://www.uwrf.edu/chiefs/

http://www.uwrf.edu/chiefs/lodging.htm

http://www.rfcity.org/

http://www.rfchamber.com/KansasCityChiefs.htm

Iowanian
07-19-2005, 10:58 AM
I don't think I'd ask for any autographs. 1 because I really don't care that much about having an auto...and I'm definitely not paying for one....and 2, because if a player was a dick, I'd probably go "iowanian" on them, and it would be negative for my team support.

How do you cheer for say...Johnny Morton when he was a prick to you?

The Bad Guy
07-19-2005, 11:01 AM
Yeah, they would see the mob of people and think, man if I sign one, I'm going to have to sign for all of these people. So, the last day I was there, I decided to go mid-afternoon and got Trent, Priest and Gonzo's autographs. There were only about 10 autograph seekers there at the time.

On the last night I was there, I went back about 10 after the meetings were over and tons of players signed then.

I think that's probably the best time to go.

Mr. Kotter
07-19-2005, 11:04 AM
I don't think I'd ask for any autographs. 1 because I really don't care that much about having an auto...and I'm definitely not paying for one....and 2, because if a player was a dick, I'd probably go "iowanian" on them, and it would be negative for my team support.

I agree. I don't own a single autographed thing.....myself. My kid and niece like it; and I'll get things for others...I'm just not into the 'groupie' aspect of it, I guess.

FTR, Morton was a dick. A real jerk.

I was surprised by how "unfriendly" many of the players seemed--even Tony G. and Priest....but, to be fair, it does probably get really old, really fast.....signing hundreds of autographs during those weeks.

TRR
07-19-2005, 11:04 AM
I just go back to the dining hall after their night practice. I have no problem getting autographs from just about every player. Priest Holmes, TRich, Trent Green...My pic of Priest and I is from River Falls by the dining hall.

If your patient, you'll pretty much get whoever you want. The only player that seems to have an underground tunnel to the dining hall is Tony Gonzalez. I've seen him come out once...And go down the Vikings line of fans.

Nzoner
07-19-2005, 11:21 AM

Tony Gonzalez was like that to me at Canton,I saw him outside the stadium with very few people around.He kept walking away acting like I wasn't even there,finally I just said something like,you don't have any damn idea the amount of money I spend to support you guys the least you could do is sign the hat, and he turned and gave me the autograph and left.

Nzoner
07-19-2005, 11:23 AM
I agree. I don't own a single autographed thing.....myself. My kid and niece like it; and I'll get things for others...I'm just not into the 'groupie' aspect of it, I guess.

FTR, Morton was a dick. A real jerk.

I was surprised by how "unfriendly" many of the players seemed--even Tony G. and Priest....but, to be fair, it does probably get really old, really fast.....signing hundreds of autographs during those weeks.

I'm sure it gets old and the biggest challenge has to be not knowing if you're signing for a real fan or someone who's looking to profit.

As for me I don't consider myself a groupie but a few autographs for my gameroom here and there are all I want.

TRR
07-19-2005, 11:25 AM
Tony Gonzalez was like that to me at Canton,I saw him outside the stadium with very few people around.He kept walking away acting like I wasn't even there,finally I just said something like,you don't have any damn idea the amount of money I spend to support you guys the least you could do is sign the hat, and he turned and gave me the autograph and left.

The only player that has been a jerk is Johnnie Morton. The other players just try and avoid you. The one guy that tries to avoid fans the most is Marc Boerigter. I found that odd, but he just circles the area on his mountain bike until he finds an alley way to get through, and then cruises on up. I thought, "Dang...Your not even that good." LOL!

The nicest player by far (other than TRich) is Willie Roaf. I've stopped Willie on his mountain bike twice for an autograph. Nicest guy in the world.

Mr. Kotter
07-19-2005, 11:27 AM
....As for me I don't consider myself a groupie but a few autographs for my gameroom here and there are all I want.

If I had a gameroom like yours, I'd want some momentos too! :thumb:

I didn't mean to imply others were groupies, I just don't find it a big deal....I don't think I'd ever pay anything for one--at least not much.

Nzoner
07-19-2005, 11:28 AM
The one guy that tries to avoid fans the most is Marc Boerigter. I found that odd, but he just circles the area on his mountain bike until he finds an alley way to get through, and then cruises on up. I thought, "Dang...Your not even that good." LOL!

Interesting,I met Mark at the Chiefs Kick-off Luncheon a couple of years ago and he had no problem signing a couple of his CFL cards.

Iowanian
If a player were a dick to me, I'd not be able to forgive it, and I wouldn't have any desire to have that autograph anyway.

I'm sure it does get old, having to be nice and sign stuff. I'm also sure, that the average fan spends a few DAYS of thier wages to attend each game, buy their jerseys et al, which pay their salary. It goes with the territory.

He could be a shoe salesman, and have to tollerate people he doesn't want to talk to, while looking at their bunions and smelling their fumunda, for $8/hr......to save money to be watching someone else play on sunday.

The Bad Guy
The only player that has been a jerk is Johnnie Morton. The other players just try and avoid you. The one guy that tries to avoid fans the most is Marc Boerigter. I found that odd, but he just circles the area on his mountain bike until he finds an alley way to get through, and then cruises on up. I thought, "Dang...Your not even that good." LOL!

The nicest player by far (other than TRich) is Willie Roaf. I've stopped Willie on his mountain bike twice for an autograph. Nicest guy in the world.

Boerigter? That's weird.

Last year, I stood outside on my first day there and he signed for a good 45 minutes for everyone.

I agree about the profit things, the guy's there with a checklist and a bag full of things is ridiculous and the players avoid those guys, which results in others having a tough time.

I bought a Chiefs authentic helmet to get autographed for my game room, hopefully I can score a lot of autographs and put that next to the football I had signed last year.

Nzoner
07-19-2005, 11:31 AM
If I had a gameroom like yours, I'd want some momentos too! :thumb:

I didn't mean to imply others were groupies, I just don't find it a big deal....I don't think I'd ever pay anything for one--at least not much.

No way.I've never paid for an autograph,never will,although when Lenny signed my helmet at camp a few years ago he made a remark about getting a commission if I sold the helmet.

TRR
07-19-2005, 11:31 AM
Boerigter? That's weird.

Last year, I stood outside on my first day there and he signed for a good 45 minutes for everyone.

I agree about the profit things, the guy's there with a checklist and a bag full of things is ridiculous and the players avoid those guys, which results in others having a tough time.

I bought a Chiefs authentic helmet to get autographed for my game room, hopefully I can score a lot of autographs and put that next to the football I had signed last year.

That was after his first big (and only) season. I've seen him sign a few times, but usually he does the cell phone bit to bypass everyone.

TRR
07-19-2005, 11:33 AM
Whoever is going to River Falls for Training Camp, stop in at Steve's Pizza in River Falls on the main drag. It's awesome pizza...

I always stay in Hudson. There are a ton of great restaurants there.

Mr. Kotter
07-19-2005, 11:34 AM
Boerigter? That's weird.

That was my experience too. He struck me as moody though, because I also saw him other times be stand-off-ish...

Players are like us; some are happy-go-lucky, others are jerks....some are moody, others more consistent. They are human too.

Nzoner
07-19-2005, 11:36 AM
If a player were a dick to me, I'd not be able to forgive it, and I wouldn't have any desire to have that autograph anyway.

I'm sure it does get old, having to be nice and sign stuff. I'm also sure, that the average fan spends a few DAYS of thier wages to attend each game, buy their jerseys et al, which pay their salary. It goes with the territory.

He could be a shoe salesman, and have to tollerate people he doesn't want to talk to, while looking at their bunions and smelling their fumunda, for $8/hr......to save money to be watching someone else play on sunday.

Exactly,my thought is go ahead and be a dick but I'll have no problem letting you know if it weren't for fans like me you wouldn't be knocking down millions a year to play a game.

Iowanian
07-19-2005, 11:37 AM
I can understand why players can be moody at camp...their working out in the heat, a couple of times a day....Their hot, tired, sore, battling those dings that come with Contact practices...........and if they've had a bad day(maybe a drop or no concentration) and they realize there are 11 guys trying for 5 spots and their on the bubble....I can understand.

Its the guys that are the Pricks unless the Camera is rolling that piss me off. I've never heard anyone say a single good thing about #88 in person.

The Bad Guy
07-19-2005, 11:40 AM
The nicest one for me last year was Dante Hall by far.

After the practice, I was standing next to the fence on the far side of the field and he was catching balls and someone yelled to him, he blew them a kiss and told us he would be right over.

He came running over when he was done, signed the Pro Bowl jersey I had of him, talked to my fiancee for 5 minutes and was just a great guy.

Iow, you're exactly right. After going to TC last year, and seeing how big of dicks some were, it was tough to really pull for them.

Mr. Kotter
07-19-2005, 11:43 AM
Whoever is going to River Falls for Training Camp, stop in at Steve's Pizza in River Falls on the main drag. It's awesome pizza...

I always stay in Hudson. There are a ton of great restaurants there.

Yeah, Hudson is an easy quick drive from River Falls....20 minutes or so, IIRC.

There is a nice State Park near Hudson, Willow River.....we'll be camping there again this year after a good experience last year.

Nzoner
07-19-2005, 11:45 AM
One thing I've never done at TC is try and get an autograph after practice.I figure the guys are worn out and hungry and the last thing they need is me trying to get something signed.

Mr. Kotter
07-19-2005, 11:45 AM
I can understand why players can be moody at camp...their working out in the heat, a couple of times a day....Their hot, tired, sore, battling those dings that come with Contact practices...........and if they've had a bad day(maybe a drop or no concentration) and they realize there are 11 guys trying for 5 spots and their on the bubble....I can understand.

Its the guys that are the Pricks unless the Camera is rolling that piss me off. I've never heard anyone say a single good thing about #88 in person.

I've gotta admit, Tony G was the biggest disappointment for us last year to. He's kinda the polar opposite of Dante.....Dante, as Bad Guy says, was the best (of the 'starters') in my experience.

TRR
07-19-2005, 11:49 AM
I've gotta admit, Tony G was the biggest disappointment for us last year to. He's kinda the polar opposite of Dante.....Dante, as Bad Guy says, was the best (of the 'starters') in my experience.

I actually got Dante to sign my KC hard hat during the scrimmage against the Vikes in Mankato last summer. That's rare.

I enjoy getting pics with the players more so than the autographs.

Mr. Kotter
07-21-2005, 11:20 AM
bump

Hog Rider
07-21-2005, 11:33 AM
We'll be there the 9th - 13th. May only see a day or two of training camp because of time off due to Friday's game. But that's one reason we're going then is to catch the game against the Vikes. Otherwise girls will be shopping at the "Mall.."

Staying in Hudson at the Best Western. Stayed there last year. Not bad, and fairly inexpensive.

dirk digler
07-21-2005, 12:15 PM
Since I am a lazy ass I didn't make my reservations until a couple of weeks ago so I am staying in Hudson as well.

Mr. Kotter
07-28-2005, 09:57 AM
Since I am a lazy ass I didn't make my reservations until a couple of weeks ago so I am staying in Hudson as well.

Hudson is a short drive from River Falls. We are camping there, at Little River Falls State Park...

dirk digler
07-28-2005, 11:15 AM
Hudson is a short drive from River Falls. We are camping there, at Little River Falls State Park...

So what's the plan Kotter for next weekend?

Mr. Kotter
07-28-2005, 12:34 PM
So what's the plan Kotter for next weekend?

I'll post a proposal or a couple of options by Saturday morning. :hmmm:

dirk digler
07-28-2005, 01:21 PM
I'll post a proposal or a couple of options by Saturday morning. :hmmm:

Cool

Mr. Kotter
07-30-2005, 08:24 AM
Okay folks, how about....

Luigi's Pizza, after the AM practice...
11:15 am (to beat the lunch rush?)
Saturday, August 6th?
....it's on Main Street in downtown River Falls.

I'll wear my ChiefsPlanet Hat and/or shirt.

Anyone interested in joining us, we'll hope to see you there.... :)

FYI, gates at the practice facility to "Family Fun Night" open at 2 pm.

I'll be gone until Tuesday night; if others want to put together something for Saturday night or Sunday during next weekend....please post a proposal here, or we can just decide at Luigi's on Saturday too.

If someone wants to bump this thread over the next couple of days, while I'm gone....I'd appreciate it.

dirk digler
07-30-2005, 04:49 PM

Saturday, August 6th?

I'll be gone until Tuesday night; if others want to put together something for Saturday night or Sunday during next weekend....please post a proposal here, or we can just decide at Luigi's on Saturday too.

If someone wants to bump this thread over the next couple of days, while I'm gone....I'd appreciate it.

I'll be there.

dirk digler
08-01-2005, 08:25 AM
bump.

KChiefs1
08-01-2005, 09:14 AM

Saturday, August 6th?

I'll try & be there too! Is Luigi's better than Steve's?

KChiefs1
08-01-2005, 09:14 PM
Just giving it the ole 12 hour bump...

dirk digler
08-03-2005, 08:24 AM
Bump again.

Is anyone else going to be there besides myself, Kotter, and KChiefs1?

Skip Towne
08-03-2005, 08:43 AM
Bump again.

Is anyone else going to be there besides myself, Kotter, and KChiefs1?
Nope

Mr. Kotter
08-03-2005, 08:56 AM
Nope

I thought you said YOU were gonna be there. :harumph:

:p

TheBadGuy and Scanfan had both indicated they might try to link up....but I haven't seen them post here recently. I just got back last night from a trip, so I'll PM them today sometime. :hmmm:

Mr. Kotter
08-03-2005, 08:58 AM
I'll try & be there too! Is Luigi's better than Steve's?

I don't know about that. I can remember Luigi's from my previous visits there; I don't remember Steve's, unless it is the little bity place on Main that's more of a "to go" place? :hmmm:

dirk digler
08-03-2005, 09:12 AM
Nope

We don't want your old grumpy ass there anyway. :p

:harumph:

Mr. Kotter
08-04-2005, 10:41 PM
We are headed out Friday morning....hope to see you at Luigi's Saturday at 11:15, those that are able to make it. :thumb:

Mr. Kotter
08-05-2005, 10:33 AM
We are on our way out the door. Hope to see you guys Saturday morning... :)

ptlyon
08-05-2005, 10:40 AM
Get a Penn State helmet autograph of Larry Johnson for me!

Mr. Kotter
08-06-2005, 01:55 PM
Get a Penn State helmet autograph of Larry Johnson for me!

....as much time as LJ spent sitting on the water cooler, I could have. :)

Luigi's and Steve's Pizza joints, both are an "evening only" type operation....must be a small town thing, WTF?

....so....we waited at Luigi's until about 11:25.

We met Dirk Digler and his lovely escort for lunch, and went to the Main Street Cafe instead. He's excited about 37Forever weekend. I just hope, with me being the first CP member he's met....that I didn't scare him off. Heh.

We've also seen Stevie Ray and Extreme Chief around the practices....gettin' ready to head off to Ramer Field for family fun night, right now....as I post from the public library in River Falls.

I'll be on the lookout for CP gear tonight.....maybe I'll bump into a few of you that we missed at lunch?

I'll try to post a few pics when I get home too....

That's all for now, from River Falls.

Rob

:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: