PDA

View Full Version : U.S. moves to extend daylight time by two months

KingPriest2
04-06-2005, 08:17 PM
I think they should just leave the Daylight Savings the way it is all year never fall back.

email this print this reprint or license this
Posted on Wed, Apr. 06, 2005

Lawmakers: Daylight-saving time saves fuel

Associated Press

WASHINGTON - If Congress passes an energy bill, Americans may see more daylight-saving time.

Lawmakers crafting energy legislation approved an amendment Wednesday to extend daylight-saving time by two months, having it start on the last Sunday in March and end on the last Sunday in November.

"Extending daylight-saving time makes sense, especially with skyrocketing energy costs," said Rep. Fred Upton, R-Mich., who along with Rep. Ed Markey, D-Mass., co-sponsored the measure.

The amendment was approved by the House Energy and Commerce Committee that is putting together major parts of energy legislation likely to come up for a vote in the full House in the coming weeks.

"The more daylight we have, the less electricity we use," said Markey, who cited Transportation Department estimates that showed the two-month extension would save the equivalent of 10,000 barrels of oil a day.

The country uses about 20 million barrels of oil a day.

KCWolfman
04-06-2005, 08:18 PM
Why don't intelligent people just get up an hour earlier?

Why do you need legislation to change the time?

Deberg_1990
04-06-2005, 08:19 PM
"The more daylight we have, the less electricity we use," said Markey, who cited Transportation Department estimates that showed the two-month extension would save the equivalent of 10,000 barrels of oil a day.

Umm, what about all the people in warm weather southern states who run their AC units 9-10 months out of the year????

KCWolfman
04-06-2005, 08:24 PM
I went back on AP Press releases to February 1 and also checked Fred Upton's home page and the House of Representatives homepage as well. There is nothing to this effect on any of the above. You may have been email hoodwinked.

Do you have a link?

KCWolfman
04-06-2005, 08:27 PM
Okay, this is about 90% sure to be a hoax

From the House of Representatives website search for Bills containing the words "daylight" and "savings"

50 Bills from the 109th Congress ranked by relevance on "daylight+savings ".
0 bills containing your phrase exactly as entered.
0 bills containing all your search words near each other in any order.
0 bills containing all your search words but not near each other.
50 bills containing one or more of your search words.

DaneMcCloud
04-06-2005, 08:30 PM
DeBerg,

What warm weather states are you referring to when you make that statement? Certainly not California, as we in SoCal barely run our AC three weeks out of the year (end of August into mid-September). Our homes are built for the heat and since there's no humidity, it generally cools off to around 60 in the evening during the summer months.

Dane
~all for extending DLS

Boozer
04-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Okay, this is about 90% sure to be a hoax

From the House of Representatives website search for Bills containing the words "daylight" and "savings"

50 Bills from the 109th Congress ranked by relevance on "daylight+savings ".
50 bills containing one or more of your search words.

You might want to try "daylight" and "saving." Not that this bill isn't a hoax, but using proper search terms will help solidify that conclusion. :)

BIG_DADDY
04-06-2005, 08:32 PM
That would be awesome. I wish it was year round.

KCWolfman
04-06-2005, 08:34 PM
You might want to try "daylight" and "saving." Not that this bill isn't a hoax, but using proper search terms will help solidify that conclusion. :)
29 Bills from the 109th Congress ranked by relevance on "daylight+saving ".
29 bills containing one or more of your search words.

KingPriest2
04-06-2005, 08:35 PM
I went back on AP Press releases to February 1 and also checked Fred Upton's home page and the House of Representatives homepage as well. There is nothing to this effect on any of the above. You may have been email hoodwinked.

Do you have a link?

I got it from the KC Star website.

KCWolfman
04-06-2005, 08:36 PM
You all realize that the benefit of daylight saving would not be beneficial year 'round?

That the changed time is due to extended daylight? And that the extended daylight officially ends on June 21 as the daylight gets less and less in the northern hemisphere? Daylight saving in December has as much benefit as a diet plan in Ethiopia.

KCWolfman
04-06-2005, 08:37 PM
Cool, then it may be legit.

KCWolfman
04-06-2005, 08:39 PM
Do you have the link? The only thing I come up with is a review of how DST came to be and the article on how it started last weekend

KingPriest2
04-06-2005, 08:43 PM
Do you have the link? The only thing I come up with is a review of how DST came to be and the article on how it started last weekend

Yeah It is part of their AP headlines page

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/11328761.htm

KCWolfman
04-06-2005, 08:46 PM
Yeah It is part of their AP headlines page

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/11328761.htm
Thanks

CosmicPal
04-06-2005, 08:46 PM
We'll all save energy, but we'll all die of skin cancer.

:D

KCWolfman
04-06-2005, 08:48 PM
The extension makes sense, but having it year round is ridiculous. As I said, there is no benefit come late fall through late winter.

But honestly, I don't see why we even need DST. Again, what is so hard about getting up an hour earlier just because your clock hasn't changed?

Deberg_1990
04-06-2005, 08:55 PM
DeBerg,

What warm weather states are you referring to when you make that statement? Certainly not California, as we in SoCal barely run our AC three weeks out of the year (end of August into mid-September). Our homes are built for the heat and since there's no humidity, it generally cools off to around 60 in the evening during the summer months.

Dane
~all for extending DLS

Southern Texas, New Mexico, Arizona

KingPriest2
04-06-2005, 09:05 PM
The extension makes sense, but having it year round is ridiculous. As I said, there is no benefit come late fall through late winter.

But honestly, I don't see why we even need DST. Again, what is so hard about getting up an hour earlier just because your clock hasn't changed?

I think the thing is that people don't like seeing the sun setting before 5 when it could set by 6 if you keep DST.

They want more sunlight in the evening. IMO it also helps keep the fuel costs down in the evening because you don't have to turn it on til later.

KingPriest2
04-06-2005, 09:05 PM
Thanks

Sure thing and anytime

KCWolfman
04-06-2005, 09:08 PM
I think the thing is that people don't like seeing the sun setting before 5 when it could set by 6 if you keep DST.

They want more sunlight in the evening. IMO it also helps keep the fuel costs down in the evening because you don't have to turn it on til later.
Again, if you just get up an hour earlier from March forward, there is no difference.

Boozer
04-06-2005, 09:10 PM

IIRC, the United States was on year round DST ("War Time") for a couple of years during WWII.

KingPriest2
04-06-2005, 09:13 PM
Again, if you just get up an hour earlier from March forward, there is no difference.

But the thing is people are getting ready to go to work in the morning. When they get home to work they would like to see light and not dark.

It gets depressing to some when you get home and it is always dark.

chiefs4me
04-06-2005, 09:18 PM
DeBerg,

Dane
~all for extending DLS

ROFL.......I have already had my ac on this year. When he said 9-10 months I got pissed.....I wanna know the month he's getting by cheaper and I'm not..ROFL

chiefs4me
04-06-2005, 09:20 PM
I would like it to stay lighter longer in the day all the time. So much eaiser for me at my sons games/practices if it's lighter.:)

KCWolfman
04-06-2005, 09:25 PM
But the thing is people are getting ready to go to work in the morning. When they get home to work they would like to see light and not dark.

It gets depressing to some when you get home and it is always dark.
If you go to work an hour earlier after you get up an hour earlier, you get home an hour earlier. Besides, not all people work 9-5.

And from November through March it will still be dark when you get home.

wazu
04-06-2005, 09:28 PM
This is a good start. The energy ramifications are a good bonus, but I'll take it just for having it still be light out when I drive home. (And no, I can't just get up an hour earlier. There's no leaving the place I work before 5:00, ever.)

KingPriest2
04-06-2005, 09:37 PM
If you go to work an hour earlier after you get up an hour earlier, you get home an hour earlier. Besides, not all people work 9-5.

And from November through March it will still be dark when you get home.

YOu like to make things difficult don't you? :)

KCWolfman
04-06-2005, 09:39 PM
YOu like to make things difficult don't you? :)

I just have never understood the premise. People all shout about the daylight driving home benefit as if it is something fantastic.

Honestly, I won't be saving a penny as my thermostat is digitally controlled by a timing program. It doesn't matter when six o'clock happens, as soon as the temp reaches a certain degree, it kicks on for the morning. Then an hour and a half later, it kicks off for the day hours.

I also see a great many more kids standing in darkness at their bus stops.

I guess I am lucky that I can change my schedule when required.

Ultra Peanut
04-07-2005, 04:39 AM
I think the thing is that people don't like seeing the sun setting before 5 when it could set by 6 if you keep DST.I like the sun setting at 5 or earlier. I think it's annoying when it's 9 PM and it's still ****ing light outside.

DaneMcCloud
04-07-2005, 01:15 PM
It may be light outside during daylight savings at 9pm where you live, but in SoCal, the sun is setting by 7:15. The sun sets earlier on the Coasts. In December, the sunset it around 4:45-5:00. I have my house lights programed to come on at 3:45!

Dane
~Hoping the bill passes

penguinz
07-20-2005, 08:09 AM
The U.S. Congress signed off on a provision Tuesday to extend daylight savings time hours by two months. It would begin on the first weekend in March, and end the last weekend in November.

Read about it HERE (http://www.bit-quest.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=282).

Bootlegged
07-20-2005, 08:10 AM
This should be the biggest no brainer in Congress. Pass this shit.

penguinz
07-20-2005, 08:20 AM
I would prefer they get rid of it.

Stinger
07-20-2005, 08:22 AM
I would prefer they get rid of it.

Amen to that, it is really no longer applicable

StcChief
07-20-2005, 10:06 AM
About time.
The sunshine slow down before/after the current period on EB/WB traffic probably will save alot of lives.

Not to mention the added daylight at night.

What study brought this about?

Duck Dog
07-20-2005, 10:08 AM
Good news. It starts getting dark up here during the winter at about 4 and is dark by 4:30.

But in contrast, during the summer it stays light until 9 or 9:30.

Ari Chi3fs
07-20-2005, 10:57 AM
personally, id like to see them do away with Daylight savings... and get away from the Gregorian Calendar, and move into the natural 13-moon calendar.

The Mayans celebrated this type of calendar
each moon "month" last 28 days, 28 x 13 = 364, they would then celebrate a "DAY OUT OF TIME" which is currently celebrated on July 25th of each year.

Called the Dreamspell calendar.

This type of calendar would keep us more aligned with nature, and probably more grateful overall.

The current system keeps us out of balance...

BIG_DADDY
07-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Great, I like seeing the sun after work.

jidar
07-20-2005, 11:35 AM
personally, id like to see them do away with Daylight savings... and get away from the Gregorian Calendar, and move into the natural 13-moon calendar.

each moon "month" last 28 days, 28 x 13 = 364, they would then celebrate a "DAY OUT OF TIME" which is currently celebrated on July 25th of each year.

This type of calendar would keep us more aligned with nature, and probably more grateful overall.

Holy new age bullshit batman. Maybe that calendar is better since the current one is kind of confusing (why do the months have a different number of days?), but balance? What the hell does nature care of a calendar anyway?

J Diddy
07-20-2005, 11:39 AM
This is so gonna screw me up.

How the hell am I gonna remember spring forward winter back?

Electric
07-20-2005, 11:39 AM
What name would they give to the 13th month?

Febutember, Decemanury, Othermonth, Addedmonth, Xmonth, outtamonths, Newmonth, whatabouttamonth,

The winner of the new month naming contest gets a piece of pie.

Bob Dole
07-20-2005, 12:14 PM

So you're reviving the "I'm with stupid" t-shirt trend and personalizing it by wearing "I <b>am</b> stupid"?

KChiefs1
07-20-2005, 12:20 PM

It would still be "spring ahead fall back" technically since winter doesn't officially begin til around December 20th normally so that saying wouldn't change.

kchero
07-20-2005, 12:27 PM

How is a 13 - moon calender of 364 days "Natural"??? Tell me, It takes approximately 356.25 days in a year based on the Earth's "Natural" Orbit around the Sun (Hence the leap year we experience every 4 years to account for that .25 of a day) If you had a 364 day calender to a year that would put the earth's orbit location with our corresponding day set in the year off by approx. 9 days every year which would eventually over time put us out of sequence with our current seasons and corresponding months of the year. ( i.e. Over time North Americans will have our cold seasons during our dates of June and July) They Myans didnt expierence this because of the central american location being closer to the equator as compared to us....I would like to believe that we have better technology today as compared to central american indians from centuries ago...

J Diddy
07-20-2005, 12:28 PM
It would still be "spring ahead fall back" technically since winter doesn't officially begin til around December 20th normally so that saying wouldn't change.

See it's already got me screwed up.

penguinz
07-20-2005, 12:31 PM
How is a 13 - moon calender of 364 days "Natural"??? Tell me, It takes approximately 356.25 days in a year based on the Earth's "Natural" Orbit around the Sun (Hence the leap year we experience every 4 years to account for that .25 of a day) If you had a 364 day calender to a year that would put the earth's orbit location with our corresponding day set in the year off by approx. 9 days every year which would eventually over time put us out of sequence with our current seasons and corresponding months of the year. ( i.e. Over time North Americans will have our cold seasons during our dates of June and July) They Myans didnt expierence this because of the central american location being closer to the equator as compared to us....I would like to believe that we have better technology today as compared to central american indians from centuries ago...
There are 365.25 days in an Earth year genius. ;)

J Diddy
07-20-2005, 12:33 PM

Not on planet Chilewanka.

Ari Chi3fs
07-20-2005, 12:35 PM
What name would they give to the 13th month?

Febutember, Decemanury, Othermonth, Addedmonth, Xmonth, outtamonths, Newmonth, whatabouttamonth,

The winner of the new month naming contest gets a piece of pie.

Here's a bit of recent history:

In 1933, the League of Nations actually voted the 13-Month Calendar to be the new world standard, in recognition of its continuity and reliability. The 13th month was to be named "Tricember." Before implementation, however, the Vatican was able to create enough skepticism to successfully oppose its acceptance.

Ironically, it was argued that a break in the 7 day week for the day out of time would cause calamity and lead to war, when, in actuality, communities join together around the world on this day (July 25th) to activate the theme: Planetary Peace through Culture!

http://www.13moon.com/faq.htm

and 14bikebob... you aint ever gonna make any shirts, so just sit down and be quiet.

:)

KingPriest2
07-20-2005, 12:35 PM

Actually you have it wrong as well.

winter ends on March 20th but you are right about winter beginning Dec 20th

So it is Winter forward and Fall back

penguinz
07-20-2005, 12:36 PM
Not on planet Chilewanka.
You just proved your intelligence also. Read my post. I stated an Earth year not a Chilewankan year. ;)

J Diddy
07-20-2005, 12:36 PM
Actually you have it wrong as well.

winter ends on March 20th but you are right about winter beginning Dec 20th

So it is Winter forward and Fall back

Screw it. This year I am eliminating daylight savings times in my world.

KingPriest2
07-20-2005, 12:39 PM
supposedly passed by congress

Ari Chi3fs
07-20-2005, 12:40 PM

its genious, genious.

and the .25 leftover days were accumulated for four years, I believe... and an additional day out of time was utilized.

sure it has its flaws... but it makes much more sense than that 12 month gregorian piece of shit that glorifies Julius Caesar and the Roman empire.

before the current gregorian calendar... there were 10 months... hence.

Sept[7]tember
Oct[8]tober
Nov[9]ember
Dec[10]ember

Julius and Augustus ****ed it all up.

Ari Chi3fs
07-20-2005, 12:43 PM
wont this **** up computer time? On daylight savings time, it automatically moves forward...

Frosty
07-20-2005, 12:45 PM
They should make it permanent all year. I hate the time changes and being groggy at work for a couple of weeks twice a year.

Ari Chi3fs
07-20-2005, 12:48 PM
Well, I think since they are making calendar and time changes... they do need to make Steak and Blowjob day official. At least get something right, for crying out loud.

Herzig
07-20-2005, 12:56 PM
wont this **** up computer time? On daylight savings time, it automatically moves forward...

Microsoft and other operating systems would come up with an update..no big deal.

Electric
07-20-2005, 12:57 PM
Here's a bit of recent history:

In 1933, the League of Nations actually voted the 13-Month Calendar to be the new world standard, in recognition of its continuity and reliability. The 13th month was to be named "Tricember." Before implementation, however, the Vatican was able to create enough skepticism to successfully oppose its acceptance.

Ironically, it was argued that a break in the 7 day week for the day out of time would cause calamity and lead to war, when, in actuality, communities join together around the world on this day (July 25th) to activate the theme: Planetary Peace through Culture!

http://www.13moon.com/faq.htm

and 14bikebob... you aint ever gonna make any shirts, so just sit down and be quiet.

:)

Tricember sucks. We need to come up with a new name if we are going to advocate using the "new deal".

penguinz
07-20-2005, 01:03 PM
its genious, genious.
Thank you for trying to correct my spelling.

Now go chant around stonehenge some more.

btw.. genius is the correct spelling not genious.

Fat Elvis
07-20-2005, 01:12 PM
It may be light outside during daylight savings at 9pm where you live, but in SoCal, the sun is setting by 7:15. The sun sets earlier on the Coasts. In December, the sunset it around 4:45-5:00. I have my house lights programed to come on at 3:45!

Dane
~Hoping the bill passes

The sun doesn't set any earlier on the coasts. What makes a difference on when the sun sets is lattitude; longitude is irrelevant.

My mother lives on the west coast and she gets more daylight during the summer and less in the winter than we do here in Kansas. Of course she lives in the Pac NW. The closer you are to the poles, the more extreme your variations of daylight, conversely, the closer you live to the equator, the less variance you have during the year.

whoman69
07-20-2005, 01:20 PM
This is so gonna screw me up.

Errr, November is still in Fall.

Ultra Peanut
07-20-2005, 01:22 PM
**** this bullshit.

Ari Chi3fs
07-20-2005, 01:24 PM
Thank you for trying to correct my spelling.

Now go chant around stonehenge some more.

btw.. genius is the correct spelling not genious.

what are you a CP noob?

On CP, its genious, genious... now go chant around your Websters dictionary some more.

whoman69
07-20-2005, 01:25 PM
I'm opposed because it will get the kids out later for Halloween. I don't mind the part about March, but daylight savings does make sense in trying to put the most daylight into the day. IMO the day should start 6 AM instead of midnight. How can it be morning in the middle of the night?

penguinz
07-20-2005, 01:29 PM
what are you a CP noob?

On CP, its genious, genious... now go chant around your Websters dictionary some more.Sorry that I have a job and don't have time to read every post on here to learn the slang that is used. Go cash your unemployment check, drink some natural light and continue to read each and every post over made here.

sd4chiefs
07-20-2005, 02:52 PM
Remember in the 70's they dropped the speed limit down to 55 to cut back on oil? Man did that suck.

Herzig
07-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Yesssssssssss! More hours for golf!

I saw a vanity plate the other day that read "GLFWIDO"...I love it!

Calcountry
07-20-2005, 03:10 PM
DeBerg,

Dane
~all for extending DLSDude, have you ever left the coastal areas?

San Bernadino, now there is one hot motha fugga.

Bakersfield, Fresno, Red Bluff, not to mention Barstow and Needles. HOT!

I forgot, those places aren't a part of "California", they are merely armpits.

Calcountry
07-20-2005, 03:12 PM
Southern Texas, New Mexico, ArizonaIgnore him, he is assinine to think that there are no A/C's in Cally, I would die without my central air.

Ari Chi3fs
07-20-2005, 03:15 PM
Sorry that I have a job and don't have time to read every post on here to learn the slang that is used. Go cash your unemployment check, drink some natural light and continue to read each and every post over made here.

what a knob. :rolleyes:

Ultra Peanut
07-20-2005, 03:57 PM
Yep. This is still utter ****ing bullshit.

Herzig
07-20-2005, 04:04 PM
Yep. This is still utter ****ing bullshit.

You've got your panties in a bunch over this...Why? What's the big deal?

Ultra Peanut
07-20-2005, 04:07 PM
It's ****ing retarded, it's wholly unnecessary, it complicates more than it helps, and it doesn't do a goddamn thing to further its supposed intended purpose.

Herzig
07-20-2005, 04:10 PM
It's ****ing retarded, it's wholly unnecessary, it complicates more than it helps, and it doesn't do a goddamn thing to further its supposed intended purpose.

How? Why?

I don't see why you're so pissed over something so insignificant.

Herzig
07-20-2005, 04:42 PM

It saves the country 10,000 barrels of oil a day. At $60 a barrel, that's $600,000 a day. Spread that figure over 60 days and it saves the country $36 million every year. I think that's worth change in the days we move the big hand back and forward one hour. Huge savings for something so insignificant. Canada/Mexico and maybe the rest of the world will follow our lead on this one...and if they don't...who gives a rat's ass?

keg in kc
07-20-2005, 04:48 PM
Uh, okay. Whatever. Baaaa.

ENDelt260
07-20-2005, 05:21 PM
F*ck that. That's even later in the football season that I'd have to get up at an obnoxious hour to watch the Chiefs play on Sunday.

Just whack the whole thing entirely.

ENDelt260
07-20-2005, 05:22 PM
Screw it. This year I am eliminating daylight savings times in my world.
I did that back in 2001. I couldn't be happier.

BIG_DADDY
07-20-2005, 05:24 PM
I did that back in 2001. I couldn't be happier.

Of course you don't want DST, you live in a furnace. For the rest of us though it's nice to see the sun after work.

|Zach|
07-20-2005, 05:25 PM
F*ck that. That's even later in the football season that I'd have to get up at an obnoxious hour to watch the Chiefs play on Sunday.

Just whack the whole thing entirely.
ROFL

ENDelt260
07-20-2005, 05:26 PM
Of course you don't want DST, you live in a furnace. For the rest of us though it's nice to see the sun after work.
I just think it's dumb to change the time twice a year.

BIG_DADDY
07-20-2005, 05:32 PM

Agreed, so make it DST permanently.

ENDelt260
07-20-2005, 05:38 PM
Agreed, so make it DST permanently.
As long as AZ falls in line and goes to an hour behind MO. Football at 10am is f*cking evil.

keg in kc
07-20-2005, 05:39 PM
Anything at 10am is f*cking evil.

BIG_DADDY
07-20-2005, 05:40 PM
As long as AZ falls in line and goes to an hour behind MO. Football at 10am is f*cking evil.

Well quit drinking so much you fuggin lush.

ENDelt260
07-20-2005, 05:43 PM
Well quit drinking so much you fuggin lush.
You might as well ask the sun to quit shining.

Skip Towne
07-20-2005, 05:58 PM
What's the temperature down there? I heard 13 people have died from the heat wave.

ENDelt260
07-20-2005, 06:01 PM
What's the temperature down there? I heard 13 people have died from the heat wave.
Eh, they were like vagrants and immigrants. It's natural population control. If they took the air conditioning out of the homeless shelters, we could save money on both ends.

I don't know the temp at the moment. I'd guess about 74 where I'm sitting. I think over the weekend it was like 115 while I was drinking beer poolside.

BIG_DADDY
07-20-2005, 06:04 PM
Eh, they were like vagrants and immigrants. It's natural population control. If they took the air conditioning out of the homeless shelters, we could save money on both ends.

I don't know the temp at the moment. I'd guess about 74 where I'm sitting. I think over the weekend it was like 115 while I was drinking beer poolside.

I guess there is a benefit to those high temps.

ENDelt260
07-20-2005, 06:06 PM
I guess there is a benefit to those high temps.
Well, that and I can cook on my new grill without even turning it on.

Skip Towne
07-20-2005, 06:12 PM

I'll bet your electric bill is frightening.

ENDelt260
07-20-2005, 06:17 PM
I'll bet your electric bill is frightening.
Last month I was close to $200.

Ultra Peanut
07-20-2005, 06:18 PM
It saves the country 10,000 barrels of oil a day. At $60 a barrel, that's $600,000 a day.AWESOME! This will save us perhaps PENNIES per MONTH!

This will supposedly save 610,000 gallons of oil per year. We use 19.5 million gallons per day.

Wow, this brings us all the way down from ~7,117,500,000 gallons/yr to ~7,116,900,000/yr!

BIG_DADDY
07-20-2005, 06:19 PM
Last month I was close to $200.

Speaking of which my buddies wife is the admin for one of the big Venture Capitalists out here. She pays his bills and in Northern California where the weather has been mild and close to perfect this year the electricity bill in his Hillborough mansion still runs in excess of $700 a month.

The Pedestrian
07-20-2005, 11:08 PM
Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but this is a good idea considering that this was our original energy-saving plan that worked for over 80 years.

Ultra Peanut
07-21-2005, 02:41 AM
Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but this is a good idea considering that this was our original energy-saving plan that worked for over 80 years.I think we should just print up millions of dollars and give that money to everybody! Then we'll all be happy!

Mecca
07-21-2005, 02:45 AM
Wow I hate this idea, I'm a night person I dislike there being more daylight than there has to be.

You know maybe if they'd come up with another fuel all of this oil crap wouldn't be an issue. Oh wait I forgot everyone in power is an oil man. So we must suck the planet dry of every drop of oil before moving on to a better more effecient fuel than won't eventually run out.

It's great how greed can trump logic everytime in todays world.

Ultra Peanut
07-21-2005, 03:08 AM
So we must suck the planet dry of every drop of oilWRONG! We're going to **** with the clocks and save literally hundreds of thousands of gallons each year! :rolleyes:

"I'm helping! I'm helping!"

Herzig
07-21-2005, 06:51 AM
WRONG! We're going to **** with the clocks and save literally hundreds of thousands of gallons each year! :rolleyes:
"

Get over it and move on man. Find a real issue to cry about.

ENDelt260
07-21-2005, 12:42 PM

Heat wave claims 19 lives in 5 days
Hot days, nights send fatality rate climbing; all but 4 are homeless

Judi Villa
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 21, 2005 09:25 AM

The stifling heat has claimed more Valley lives in the past five days than it did statewide in all of July last year.

By Wedneday, 17 people in Phoenix, one in Tempe and one in Mesa had died of the blistering heat. Most were transients.

The latest death was Albert Pinkerton, whose Mesa home was about 110 degrees on Wednesday when he and his wife, Louise, were discovered inside about 6:30 p.m. Pinkerton, 92, was dead; his wife is being treated for severe dehydration and is expected to recover.

Officials blame a longer stretch of above-average temperatures, a lack of humidity that has left the air unusually dry and even the Valley's poor air quality for the recent series of deaths. Nighttime temperatures have dipped only to the low 90s, and the monsoon rains are two weeks late.

"There's been so many days in a row of over 115. The heat takes a cumulative effect on people," said Will Humble, bureau chief for disease control at the Arizona Department of Health Services. "It's just reached the breaking point with the homeless people."

If the death toll continues to climb, the Valley could see more heat-related fatalities in one week than the 21 recorded in all of Maricopa County last year. Last July, 14 people statewide died of heat exposure.

It may be hot every year, but there's no arguing this week has been far worse. Even when Phoenix set a record high of 122 degrees on June 26, 1990, only three heat-related deaths were reported.

In past years, Humble said, most of the deaths were outdoor workers who toiled in the sun and then were overcome by it. This year it's different, with the homeless making up all but three of the dead.

"The day after day, I think it just takes a toll," Humble said. "If you get mildly dehydrated one day, it's not as simple as drinking water. It takes time to rehydrate. You have to drink over a period of time, and if you don't do that, the next day you're starting out mildly dehydrated. And it gets worse from there."

Wednesday's high was 109, slightly above normal. Rain is forecast, starting today, and by Saturday, the daytime high should drop to 103.

But the predicted relief comes after more than a week of searing temperatures that prompted heat advisories and excessive-heat warnings.

"It seemed like it shot up to extreme temperatures almost overnight," Assistant Phoenix Fire Chief Bob Khan said. "A lot of people who are homeless or without cooling were almost caught by surprise. . . . There wasn't any time to adjust. You're not getting an overnight break. It's just an oven, and there's not enough relief from that."

Saturday night, the first two homeless men were found dead in Phoenix. Six more people died in Phoenix on Sunday, followed by four people on Monday, one on Tuesday and four on Wednesday. A transient in Tempe died Monday and a Mesa resident on Wednesday.

Three of the victims were elderly women in their homes. The rest were homeless.

"The individuals we have are thinking about where they're going to spend the night, how they're going to get by, where they're going to eat," said John Landrum, coordinator of the Salvation Army's homeless outreach program. "I don't think they're thinking about drinking water or how they're going to hydrate themselves. They've got other things on their minds."

Many of the homeless are alcoholics, drug addicts or seriously mentally ill. They're generally not in the best health and can't just go inside to cool off. It all makes them more susceptible to the heat, officials say.

"They're out there all the time. Their body temperatures are really high," Landrum said. "This has been an unusually hot couple of weeks. No one was prepared for this."

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0721heatdeaths-ON.html

penguinz
07-22-2005, 08:13 AM
Wow I hate this idea, I'm a night person I dislike there being more daylight than there has to be.

It does not matter what you do with the clocks. The amount of daylight hours will never change. The only thing that effects the amount of daylight hours is the earth's tilt on the access and where you are on the planet.

penguinz
07-22-2005, 08:14 AM
As long as AZ falls in line and goes to an hour behind MO. Football at 10am is f*cking evil.10am is not evil if you get up at 4:30am. :D