PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft picks new name for next version of Windows

Hammock Parties
07-22-2005, 08:42 PM
Ghey.

http://news.com.com/Longhorns+new+name+Windows+Vista/2100-1016_3-5799734.html?tag=nl.e498

The next version of Windows finally has an official name: Windows Vista.

The advertising tagline for Vista is "Clear, Confident, Connected: Bringing clarity to your world," according to a video of the announcement posted by Microsoft.

The company also said Friday that the first beta, or test release, of Vista is slated for release on Aug. 3. That release will be targeted at developers and IT professionals, said Brad Goldberg, a Microsoft product manager.

A second, broader test release aimed at consumers will likely debut ahead of Vista's final release in the second half of next year, the company said.

Microsoft has registered the domain name windowsvista.us.

Microsoft is also planning to begin testing a server version of the operating system later this year, with final shipment slated for 2007. The company hasn't decided whether that release will also ship under the Vista moniker, said Goldberg.

Microsoft spent roughly eight months researching potential names for the upcoming version of Windows, Goldberg said. "We went through a process of focus groups and research to find out what name would convey idea of clarity. We think Vista captures the idea of clarity," he said.

HemiEd
07-22-2005, 08:47 PM
Darn, I figured it would be "Portholes."

Saulbadguy
07-22-2005, 08:48 PM
Better than Longwhoren.

Ultra Peanut
07-22-2005, 08:53 PM
Sounds like the name of a car...

Narrator: In fact, George, Sr. had snuck out of the attic and gone to a local Ford dealership.
Car Salesman: The Bronco’s been discontinued. We’re trying to shed that whole fugitive on the run thing. This is the Escape.
George, Sr.: What a fun name! May I test drive?

Saulbadguy
07-22-2005, 08:59 PM
Vista is the name of a burger joint in Manhattan and Topeka. Used to be one in Lawrence, I think.